User Panel

Site Notices
Nope Rope- he dead (Page 4 of 5)
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:18:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sauce] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ArmedKulak:

They're not a problem. Golden Retrievers kill more people than coral snakes.

View Quote

They don't really do anything good though.  The free-pass line for me is well south of "it doesn't kill a bunch of people."  For example, watching a kindergartener get wheeled to school for weeks due to a copperhead bite was enough for me.  What's your reason for keeping coral snakes in your yard?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:23:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Plainsman62] [#2]
Originally Posted By Codyboy:

I agree with that . The people that can't tell a venomous snake from non venomous. Just kill it because it's a "snake"

Well I have small grandkids and dogs. Neither know what is and isn't venomous.

And as far as relocating one. Why eventually make it someone else's problem?

View Quote

We had a dog get bitten by a rattlesnake when I was a kid. He laid in a mud puddle for about a week and came out of it except for being blind in one eye.

I also had a horse get bitten on her nose by one. Her  head swelled up huge to the point where she couldn't breathe through her nose.

She lived but it took nearly two weeks at the vet.

Yep. Rattlesnakes get their heads either cut off or shot off each and every time I see one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Hard_Rock:

Good way to get bit and that isn't a snake you want to get bit by.  Unless you REALLY like misery and spending a shit ton of money to have someone fix your stupidity, killing a snake isn't exactly a good idea.  Most bites occur when some idiot attacks the snake.  Leave it alone and it will leave you alone.  it's not a matter of if you'll get bit, but when pulling stupid shit like that.  Coral snake venom isn't like crotalus venom.  It's in a whole different class of suck.  Coral snakes are laid back and won't bite unless you're food or if they feel they have no other choice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
There I was minding my own business reading arfcom and had the ham radio on out at the shop.

I hear blood curdling screams and my name being called out, beckoning me to come quickly. Probably all the neighbors as did I thought someone was being murdered or something terrible.

I start running toward the house expecting the worst. As I'm running trying not to spill my beer, I yell out " what is it, what is wrong"?

Finally I hear "snake".

I slowed my trot and hollered out " Well get away from it" I still couldn't see anything yet.

She said it was in the driveway and crawled under those rocks there.

I told her it was probably dead from a heart attack with all that screaming. lol

I found it. immediately recognized the red and yellow , then chopped off it's head. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257708/nope_rope_jpg-3198213.JPG

Good way to get bit and that isn't a snake you want to get bit by.  Unless you REALLY like misery and spending a shit ton of money to have someone fix your stupidity, killing a snake isn't exactly a good idea.  Most bites occur when some idiot attacks the snake.  Leave it alone and it will leave you alone.  it's not a matter of if you'll get bit, but when pulling stupid shit like that.  Coral snake venom isn't like crotalus venom.  It's in a whole different class of suck.  Coral snakes are laid back and won't bite unless you're food or if they feel they have no other choice.

So just leave it alone and it will be ok?

So when my wife is planting in the flower bed and has to move some rocks out of the way and uncovers him will it still be ok?

Not sure what the stupid part is that you say I did. I didn't reach down and grab it to strangle it or use my pocket knife to cut off its head. No it was a 5ft shovel.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Plainsman62:

We had a dog get bitten by a rattlesnake when I was a kid. He laid in a mud puddle for about a week and came out of it except for being blind in one eye.

I also had a horse get bitten on his nose by one. The poor bastards head swelled up huge to the point where he couldn't breathe through his nose.

Yep. Rattlesnakes get their heads either cut off or shot off each and every time I see one.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Plainsman62:

I agree with that . The people that can't tell a venomous snake from non venomous. Just kill it because it's a "snake"

Well I have small grandkids and dogs. Neither know what is and isn't venomous.

And as far as relocating one. Why eventually make it someone else's problem?

I also had a horse get bitten on his nose by one. The poor bastards head swelled up huge to the point where he couldn't breathe through his nose.

i've always heard that if the dog gets bit in front of the heart they'll likely pull through

oh, your dog got bit in the face?  it'll swell up, they won't like it but they'll live.  bit on the rear leg you say?  that dog is a goner.

now how the fuck that works, i have no idea, but from what i've seen it does work that way

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CavScout:
Such a cool snake. Was…
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By scrambler28:

Let's pretend cats and birds aren't real.
View Quote

LOL.  Cat's and birds don't account for the number of rodents that snakes do.  But let's pretend that they do right?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Poor little feller, didn't get a chance to growed up.

I don't kill venomous snakes but I understand why some people do and I don't get worked up over it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By konger:

Just the opposite in my experience. The ones on here who bitch “poor snake wasn’t hurting anyone, good job big man” are the types with pit bulls and several poisonous snakes in an aquarium in their living room.

I grew up on a farm in a heavy farming community and I don’t know a single person that gets upset about killing snakes.
View Quote

Nor us, Ive got livestock that comes first and foremost.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#9]

This is a "coral" snake. They live in the woods.

Coral lives in the ocean.
View All Quotes
Damn good kill!

I thought these were only in the ocean or very near?

This is a "coral" snake. They live in the woods.

Coral lives in the ocean.

Thought it was corral.  Corrals are made of wood.  :)
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
People that kill snakes are the ones that adopt pit bulls
View Quote

Seems to me the people who advocate for coexisting with dangerous animals would be the ones choosing to coexist with dangerous animals
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mikeuniform:

Those are see snakes.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mikeuniform:
Damn good kill!

I thought these were only in the ocean or very near?

Those are see snakes.  

So the blind ones live in the woods?  :)
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Inquisitive_Spaniard:
Their fangs are tiny and have to really work on envenomating a human. Good job; you killed one of the most harmless venomous snakes.
View Quote

Meh, family comes first with venomous snakes. My dog decided to take on an apparent rattlesnake one time, and without hesitation following seeing it vibrating the end of its tail, the snake got chopped. Screaming female family member = man response, and op danced with the devil to save his family.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#14]

So when my wife is planting in the flower bed and has to move some rocks out of the way and uncovers him will it still be ok?

Not sure what the stupid part is that you say I did. I didn't reach down and grab it to strangle it or use my pocket knife to cut off its head. No it was a 5ft shovel.
View Quote

The snake will move on it's way.  I relocate snakes every year for several counties here and I hear from idiots all the time..  "I kIlL sNaKEs wIth a ShoVel aNd aIn'T EveR BeEn bIt."  And they're right.  Until their wrong.  Let me explain why it's such a bad idea.  A defensive bite can be a dry bite or a light envenomation.  Rarely will you get a total envenomation.  BUT, if you harm the snake, and it does latch on to you, which WILL happen at some point, it's not a matter of if but when...  You WILL get a full envenomation.  Every drop of venom that snake has.  THAT is bad.  Very bad.  The venom of the coral snake can cause permanent damage to your nervous system and the anti-venom treatment flat out will want to make you want to die.  Not to mention it's bloody expensive.  On top of that, in some cases which are becoming more of the norm, insurance will not cover the treatment if they can show that you could have avoided the snake instead of harming it.  I had to ID a snake that cost a guy his arm because he did exactly what you did and ended up getting tagged because he let his guard down.  Turned out the guy was allergic to the venom and the Crofab they tried to use thinking it was a rattlesnake that tagged him for the damage it caused.  Turns out, it was a bite from a simple northern copperhead.  

But hey, if that isn't enough stupid parts to what you did.  On top of that, in many states, killing snakes is illegal.  In some areas, eastern coral snakes are protected and harming them can carry a hefty fine.  

Here is the proper solution.  There are free resources on Facebook and other media for free, humane snake relocation.  If you are on Facebook, look up the Free Snake Relocation Directory.  We do not charge to do it and there are volunteers with the knowledge and experience all over the US that will relocate the snake away from your home and it's much safer and legal.  

Not trying to belittle you man but killing snakes is far more dangerous than leaving them alone.  I keep them as pets and I work with hots (venomous) as well as snakes that are able to eat things the size of deer.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tep0583:

Also this one, ready to strike.

https://i.postimg.cc/Jngnqhkm/IMG-20230409-120117408.jpg

View Quote

Looks like a "straight neck Cobra"  deadly mother fuckers right there. Like a 2-step and DRT.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
People that kill snakes are the ones that adopt pit bulls
View Quote

No pit bulls to speak of, but I've killed snakes and won't hesitate to do so again. Venomous snakes near a job, occupied structure, or livestock are a no-go.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Corals are pretty much harmless, nice work killer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I absolutely do not agree with killing snakes
catch and relocate

if you kill a snake you should have your man card suspended

I almost got divorced when my
wife caught me herding a GIANT black snake under a farmhouse we were renting at the time that was at the edge of a corn field

she looked at me like i was killing the baby seals

the horror in her eyes

but
we never had mice or snake problems
so it was worth it

however

if its poisonous and in your yard
then it is trespassing and should die
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By aggiesq:

even more harmless now, being dead and all
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#20]

The snake will move on it's way.  I relocate snakes every year for several counties here and I hear from idiots all the time..  "I kIlL sNaKEs wIth a ShoVel aNd aIn'T EveR BeEn bIt."  And they're right.  Until their wrong.  Let me explain why it's such a bad idea.  A defensive bite can be a dry bite or a light envenomation.  Rarely will you get a total envenomation.  BUT, if you harm the snake, and it does latch on to you, which WILL happen at some point, it's not a matter of if but when...  You WILL get a full envenomation.  Every drop of venom that snake has.  THAT is bad.  Very bad.  The venom of the coral snake can cause permanent damage to your nervous system and the anti-venom treatment flat out will want to make you want to die.  Not to mention it's bloody expensive.  On top of that, in some cases which are becoming more of the norm, insurance will not cover the treatment if they can show that you could have avoided the snake instead of harming it.  I had to ID a snake that cost a guy his arm because he did exactly what you did and ended up getting tagged because he let his guard down.  Turned out the guy was allergic to the venom and the Crofab they tried to use thinking it was a rattlesnake that tagged him for the damage it caused.  Turns out, it was a bite from a simple northern copperhead.  

But hey, if that isn't enough stupid parts to what you did.  On top of that, in many states, killing snakes is illegal.  In some areas, eastern coral snakes are protected and harming them can carry a hefty fine.  

Here is the proper solution.  There are free resources on Facebook and other media for free, humane snake relocation.  If you are on Facebook, look up the Free Snake Relocation Directory.  We do not charge to do it and there are volunteers with the knowledge and experience all over the US that will relocate the snake away from your home and it's much safer and legal.  

Not trying to belittle you man but killing snakes is far more dangerous than leaving them alone.  I keep them as pets and I work with hots (venomous) as well as snakes that are able to eat things the size of deer.  

View Quote

Horseshit.  How is killing the snake with a shovel more dangerous that picking it up, bagging it, taking it somewhere else, and releasing it for someone else to step on?  "It's a matter of when not if" is also complete horseshit.  Is it dozens, hundreds, or thousands of snakes dealt with before that gets to 100%?

If the person who sees the snake leaves it alone, then it won't be there when someone comes to humanely relocate it.

Gatekeeping basic adult skills because you are a self-styled expert is bad for society.  People who get bit are people who handle snakes unnecessarily, not people at the other end of a long shovel.  No one "let's their guard down" while killing the snake.  You might let your guard down because you are playing with it because a bunch of idiots constantly claimed snakes are mostly harmless and you believed them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:54:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: azjeeper] [#21]
Originally Posted By TheJudgeHolden:
View Quote

There hasn't been a human death attributed to a coral snake envenomation since....'06 I believe? Prior to that, 1967... and that genius was trying to kill it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Good kill.

I never saw coral snakes on my property.  Then starting a few years ago, it's been about 1 per year
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

i've always heard that if the dog gets bit in front of the heart they'll likely pull through

oh, your dog got bit in the face?  it'll swell up, they won't like it but they'll live.  bit on the rear leg you say?  that dog is a goner.

now how the fuck that works, i have no idea, but from what i've seen it does work that way

View Quote

I've heard similar. Angus was a red heeler Australian Sheppard cross. The snake bit him in what,  on a human,  would be his right armpit
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:

Tranny horse?
View Quote

Great job of proofreading there Plainsman62. Lol!  It was a filly.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Meh...coral snakes get removed from the area and relocated in the middle of nowhere, even if around my home.  

The other native nope ropes are not so lucky depending on where found.  If in they are in their home while I am walking in the woods, I stay clear.....I find in my yard in the city or especially in the garage....."GAME ON"
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:20:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#26]
I'm curious.  Just how many rodents do you guys think snakes eat per month?  As an aside, just how many snakes are you going to need to control rodents that drop litters of a dozen or so for every one that gets eaten?

I have a better idea.  Clean up all the rodent food around your property.  Both rats AND sneks go away.  It's a win/win.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By TNC:
Let's see, red on yellow kills a fellow, red on black poisons jack.

I don't know. Just tell Jack he better lay back 'cause he's gonna die.
View Quote
No, it's red on black arfcom says use a semi-automatic
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Sauce:

Horseshit.  How is killing the snake with a shovel more dangerous that picking it up, bagging it, taking it somewhere else, and releasing it for someone else to step on?  "It's a matter of when not if" is also complete horseshit.  Is it dozens, hundreds, or thousands of snakes dealt with before that gets to 100%?

If the person who sees the snake leaves it alone, then it won't be there when someone comes to humanely relocate it.

Gatekeeping basic adult skills because you are a self-styled expert is bad for society.  People who get bit are people who handle snakes unnecessarily, not people at the other end of a long shovel.  No one "let's their guard down" while killing the snake.  You might let your guard down because you are playing with it because a bunch of idiots constantly claimed snakes are mostly harmless and you believed them.
View All Quotes

A lot of people who don't know much about snakes have been bitten after cutting off the head, figuring head off=dead. Then they pick up the head and get bit, and since the snake has been attacked it gives every bit of venom it can.

"Dead" snakes have given some of the most severe bites of their species.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Dude, I see it all the time.  At some point, you run a very, very high chance of getting tagged.  It's not just a matter of letting your guard down, it's a matter of not understanding that chopping the head off of a snake doesn't kill it immediately.  Their metabolism is slow enough that the head can survive for HOURS.  I work with these animals every day.  But by all means, you do your thing.  When you get bit, remember, you were warned and it's not the snakes fault.  You initiated the attack.  Not my problem.  Oh, and I'll put my knowledge and expertise up against yours any day on this topic.  I deal with these animals far more than probably 99.9% of the people on this site.

My pet rattlesnake.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
And those 41 days have given more wisdom than you've gotten in over a decade. Go read the Micheal Long Dong PHEAR PHEAR food thread......
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
Originally Posted By cavedog:
Originally Posted By H1Mech:

@18B30

Are you joking?

Go read the threads about CCWing inside your home. Half of ARFcom proudly admits they are scared to poop in their own house without the front door deadbolt locked and a loaded pistol on their lap.

LOL.  Such breadth of knowledge for a 41 day old account.
And those 41 days have given more wisdom than you've gotten in over a decade. Go read the Micheal Long Dong PHEAR PHEAR food thread......

Post up a link.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Cobra-Commander:

As sad as it is, he is 100% correct.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cobra-Commander:
Originally Posted By cavedog:

LOL.  Such breadth of knowledge for a 41 day old account.

As sad as it is, he is 100% correct.

I know.  That's a tell.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Amped:

Do the jingle!

Red on yellow, kill a fellow, red on black, friend of Jack.
View Quote

Actually false. Longnose snake has yellow touching red and it’s harmless. But here in az it’s easy to tell difference with coral as it’s bands are wide.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ar15robert:

Actually false. Longnose snake has yellow touching red and it’s harmless. But here in az it’s easy to tell difference with coral as it’s bands are wide.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ar15robert:
Originally Posted By Amped:

Do the jingle!

Red on yellow, kill a fellow, red on black, friend of Jack.

Not to mention that if you expand to Central and South American species there are coral snakes with red bands touching black.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
Everyone will be just fine if they don't pick it up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#35]
There I was minding my own business reading arfcom and had the ham radio on out at the shop.

I hear blood curdling screams and my name being called out, beckoning me to come quickly. Probably all the neighbors as did I thought someone was being murdered or something terrible.

I start running toward the house expecting the worst. As I'm running trying not to spill my beer, I yell out " what is it, what is wrong"?

Finally I hear "snake".

I slowed my trot and hollered out " Well get away from it" I still couldn't see anything yet.

She said it was in the driveway and crawled under those rocks there.

I told her it was probably dead from a heart attack with all that screaming. lol

I found it. immediately recognized the red and yellow , then chopped off it's head. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257708/nope_rope_jpg-3198213.JPG

View Quote

Dick move. Bad kill.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Dude, I see it all the time.  At some point, you run a very, very high chance of getting tagged.  It's not just a matter of letting your guard down, it's a matter of not understanding that chopping the head off of a snake doesn't kill it immediately.  Their metabolism is slow enough that the head can survive for HOURS.  I work with these animals every day.  But by all means, you do your thing.  When you get bit, remember, you were warned and it's not the snakes fault.  You initiated the attack.  Not my problem.  Oh, and I'll put my knowledge and expertise up against yours any day on this topic.  I deal with these animals far more than probably 99.9% of the people on this site.

My pet rattlesnake.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/224/0D6A6221_jpg-3198775.JPG
View Quote

I’ve killed a few copperheads, rattle snakes, and cottonmouths. Even if I didn’t use a shovel to kill it, I used a shovel, garden rake or a garden hoe to dispose of it. I prefer a garden hoe for snake killing duty. Unless absolutely necessary, I let them at least “rest” overnight before moving them.

I used a push mower on a cotton mouth nest to great effect. The mower was old enough to not have a safety bar, so I shoved it over the top of them and let it run for few minutes.

I also typically use a shovel to dispose of any critter I’ve dispatched, unless they’re too big to be handled with a shovel. Some of the raccoons down here get too big and fat to easily handle with a shovel and you can’t chop easily chop them into smaller pieces.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

12-gauge to the head is the safest, most effective way to kill a snake. I'd really rather not, but when a five-foot-long rattlesnake drops off a mine timber and blocks your exit, you do what you have to do. If the snake is doing its own thing, I walk around it whenever possible.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Meh, at least it wasn't a kingsnake again.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Happycamp:
catch and relocate

wife caught me herding a GIANT black snake under a farmhouse we were renting at the time that was at the edge of a corn field

the horror in her eyes

but
so it was worth it

however

View Quote

Do you contradict yourself often?

No kill , relocate.
Well if it's on your property and trespassing then kill it.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

C'MoN mAn,  YoU GotssA cAlL thE pROs tO Do tHe deED.

You know this. Lol
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By azjeeper:

There hasn't been a human death attributed to a coral snake envenomation since....'06 I believe? Prior to that, 1967... and that genius was trying to kill it.
View All Quotes

What about pets?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:
Meh...coral snakes get removed from the area and relocated in the middle of nowhere, even if around my home.  

The other native nope ropes are not so lucky depending on where found.  If in they are in their home while I am walking in the woods, I stay clear.....I find in my yard in the city or especially in the garage....."GAME ON"
View Quote

I'm not taking the time to relocate a single snake.

If you'll do it for coral snakes why not the other venomous snakes. Don't t they deserve a chance too.

That's like saying if a person needed help but they were the wrong color or ethnicity or different somehow you'd just walk on by.
But the right race or creed you agree with will get their flat tire changed.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#44]

No kill , relocate.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Happycamp:
catch and relocate

the horror in her eyes

but
so it was worth it

however

No kill , relocate.

1 non venomous = no kill maybe relocate
2 venomous = dead right there
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Nicodemus7:

Being a venomous snake on my property is a death sentence. Like it should for any good dad with young kids. No concern for how anyone feels about it.

View Quote

Bing....fucking....GO. They're making new coral snakes every day; ones that want to live had best keep clear of my property. If I recall correctly corals are in the same family as cobras and all the bullshit stories you heard from Grandad about how they have to chew on you for half an hour between your toes just to have a chance of breaking the skin are worth about what you paid for them. They are dangerous, venomous, wild animals. They have killed people and I'm not rolling the dice on me or my loved ones joining that roster just to make some snake hugger get warm fuzzies.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#46]

My pet rattlesnake.

View All Quotes

My pet rattlesnake.

would smash

or shoot, whichever was handiest

uncle phillip kept rattlesnakes as pets, had a whole barn full of those motherfuckers.  no idea why he thought that was a good idea but one day one of them struck at something and hit him in the eye with venom

uncle phillip didn't keep any rattlesnakes after that
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#47]

My pet rattlesnake.

View All Quotes

My pet rattlesnake.

Oh I'm sure there are some that think when the head is off you can pick it up and stick your finger in its mouth.

I get what your saying kinda.

But I've ran across plenty of snakes being a utility lineman 39 years.
Transformers,  breaker boxes, gensets,  just walking a line out at 3 am.

You can preach that stuff to people that need to be taught.
There are still smart enough people still around . Not every person is dumb.

That's pretty cool you have a pet that can't really be petted or cuddle up with.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:34:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#48]
I've thought about something that never occurred to me before.

We built our home in 2005. Added land and a couple of outbuildings in 2011 and 2015. It was totally untouched hill country land before that so the native snake population was there.

I kill roughly 3-5 snakes a year. Mostly in the spring. Sometimes with the mower, sometimes with a hoe. Not once in all that time have I found a non-venomous snake.

It's been rattlesnakes and copperheads with the occasional coral. The copperheads and rattlers are everywhere on the place, the corals only exist around the irrigation faucets and the horse trough. Never found them anywhere else.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#49]

What about pets?
View All Quotes

What about pets?

Dog attacks cause an average of 43 human deaths a year in the US. So since '06, about 775 people.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By sabocat:

12-gauge to the head is the safest, most effective way to kill a snake. I'd really rather not, but when a five-foot-long rattlesnake drops off a mine timber and blocks your exit, you do what you have to do. If the snake is doing its own thing, I walk around it whenever possible.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sabocat:

How many 5' rattlesnakes do you encounter in Az?
Page / 5
Nope Rope- he dead (Page 4 of 5)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top