Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#1]
We had a lot of bird dogs growing up.  One of them was untrainable.  It liked to run away.  We had one trainer tells us, "I've put better dogs than that into the ground."  That said, our solution was to give her away to someone who just wanted a nice pet, which she was, as long as you could keep her from bolting out the door.

Shooting a dog for any reason other than it being incredibly violent, is stupid.  Writing about it is even worse.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JMD:

Yep.   Work with a Woman who grew up on a farm in Nebraska.  This was her attitude as well.  If an animal was a problem you just killed it.  It was no big deal to her.  And she is a pretty nice lady.  

She has even said people who are true farmers have a totally different attitude towards most animals than non farmers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JMD:
Originally Posted By Josh:
Originally Posted By MikeMilligan:
Originally Posted By JKH62:
You can tell the people that spent zero time on a farm.

A bird dog is part of a hobby though. Its death isn’t a planned part of the businesses operation.

A decent person would take a dog that doesn’t hunt to a shelter and let the shelter people know it’s a pet-only situation.

This wasn’t a “had to do it” thing, it was “don’t want to deal with this anymore”.

Some of you all have no fucking clue what world farmers live in.

Dog bites human, dog dies. That’s it.  Done. There is no “shelter”.

Yep.   Work with a Woman who grew up on a farm in Nebraska.  This was her attitude as well.  If an animal was a problem you just killed it.  It was no big deal to her.  And she is a pretty nice lady.  

She has even said people who are true farmers have a totally different attitude towards most animals than non farmers.

Farm kids are weird. Not every single one, but too many.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Best to keep some stories to yourself.  Not going to get a positive spin on this  .EVER!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By G3k:

Farm kids are weird. Not every single one, but too many.
View Quote

Yeah, people that do things for themselves suck.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:52:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SavedByTheBlood:
Republicans just love to shoot themselves in the foot! Seriously why write about that?

Trump VP contender Kristi Noem writes of killing dog – and goat – in new book

“Cricket was a wirehair pointer, about 14 months old,” the South Dakota governor writes in a new book, adding that the dog, a female, had an “aggressive personality” and needed to be trained to be used for hunting pheasant.
What unfolds over the next few pages shows how that effort went very wrong indeed – and, remarkably, how Cricket was not the only domestic animal Noem chose to kill one day in hunting season.
View Quote

She includes her story about the ill-fated Cricket, she says, to illustrate her willingness, in politics as well as in South Dakota life, to do anything “difficult, messy and ugly” if it simply needs to be done.
By taking Cricket on a pheasant hunt with older dogs, Noem says, she hoped to calm the young dog down and begin to teach her how to behave. Unfortunately, Cricket ruined the hunt, going “out of her mind with excitement, chasing all those birds and having the time of her life”.
Noem describes calling Cricket, then using an electronic collar to attempt to bring her under control. Nothing worked.
View Quote

“I hated that dog,” Noem writes, adding that Cricket had proved herself “untrainable”, “dangerous to anyone she came in contact with” and “less than worthless … as a hunting dog”.
“At that moment,” Noem says, “I realised I had to put her down.”
Noem, who also represented her state in Congress for eight years, got her gun, then led Cricket to a gravel pit.
View Quote

“It was not a pleasant job,” she writes, “but it had to be done. And after it was over, I realised another unpleasant job needed to be done.”
Incredibly, Noem’s tale of slaughter is not finished.
Her family, she writes, also owned a male goat that was “nasty and mean”, because it had not been castrated. Furthermore, the goat smelled “disgusting, musky, rancid” and “loved to chase” Noem’s children, knocking them down and ruining their clothes.
Noem decided to kill the unnamed goat the same way she had just killed Cricket the dog. But though she “dragged him to a gravel pit”, the goat jumped as she shot and therefore survived the wound. Noem says she went back to her truck, retrieved another shell, then “hurried back to the gravel pit and put him down”.
View Quote

This is why women don’t belong in politics and leadership positions imho. Sounds like she got all emotionally overwhelmed and went on a killing spree.

View Quote

Why did you leave this part out?

When Noem finally grabbed Cricket, she says, the dog “whipped around to bite me”. Then, as the chickens’ owner wept, Noem repeatedly apologised, wrote the shocked family a check “for the price they asked, and helped them dispose of the carcasses littering the scene of the crime”.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#6]
What an idiot, keep your mouth shut.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#7]
The moral of the story is:

Always carry extra ammo.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Americans can forgive just about anything. Killing a dog is not on the list.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By hoss622:
We had a lot of bird dogs growing up.  One of them was untrainable.  It liked to run away.  We had one trainer tells us, "I've put better dogs than that into the ground."  That said, our solution was to give her away to someone who just wanted a nice pet, which she was, as long as you could keep her from bolting out the door.

Shooting a dog for any reason other than it being incredibly violent, is stupid.  Writing about it is even worse.
View Quote

I've shot dogs for chasing my cattle.  Also put a couple down that were too old/sick and in pain.  Must be nice to live in your world and judge others.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Oh, bullshit. “Farmer”. She bought a high dollar hunting dog and didn’t want to deal with it anymore. Real example of down home salt of the earth behavior there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#12]
dog untrainable”, “dangerous to anyone she came in contact with”

goat that was “nasty and mean”, loved to chase” Noem’s children, knocking them down
View Quote

I guess some blocked out these points. I'd killed them to. A goat can mess up children. Plus a dangerous dog and kill. I've seen posts here often about pitbulls being killed. Just like some people are dangerous and need to be put down. Hell there was a post recently where a 7 year old just shot an innocent man in the head who was sleeping in an RV for no reason at all. What did people say needed to be done to him.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Even if the story makes perfect sense to the dozens of farmer dudes who read it, it’s going to horrify the millions of suburban women who now aren’t going to vote for her. This is one where she should have practiced the 3 S’s

Shovel
Shoot
Shut the fuck up about it
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BFskinner:
Moron..
View Quote

Double moron.

Once for doing it. Twice for bragging about it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:04:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Josh] [#15]
Originally Posted By TGE:
Grew up on farm. Never shot a young dog that I'd failed to train properly, became a politician, then
wrote a story about dog-killing as if the tale made me look farm stronk.

It's astonishing how brainless she is.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGE:

A bird dog is part of a hobby though. Its death isn't a planned part of the businesses operation.

A decent person would take a dog that doesn't hunt to a shelter and let the shelter people know it's a pet-only situation.

This wasn't a "had to do it" thing, it was "don't want to deal with this anymore".

Dog bites human, dog dies. That's it.  Done. There is no "shelter".
Grew up on farm. Never shot a young dog that I'd failed to train properly, became a politician, then
wrote a story about dog-killing as if the tale made me look farm stronk.

It's astonishing how brainless she is.

I’m guessing to some of y’all “grew up on a farm” means something very different than the rest of us.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By hoss622:

View Quote

Yep this is common fucking sense stuff.

Buddy of mine who trained labs/goldens for a living had a female yellow lab that just wouldn't listen to him. He called me up and asked if we wanted a pet dog. lol...sure, one of the better dogs we ever had. Wasn't that great at hunting, but as long as you kept it tied in the blind and it was able to see the duck...it would go get it. I mean...for me...that was good enough.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ZW17:
That’s farm life.
View Quote

What is, failing?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:05:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: midcap] [#18]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:
Even if the story makes perfect sense to the dozens of farmer dudes who read it, it’s going to horrify the millions of suburban women who now aren’t going to vote for her. This is one where she should have practiced the 3 S’s

Shovel
Shoot
Shut the fuck up about it
View Quote

Dozen of farmer dudes are retarded then. Give the dog away...I grew up with cattle....just rehome the dog.

Also fuck that goat.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

And apparently you have no clue what world a politician lives in. Her job is to say and do things that appeal to her voter base. Maybe that story did the trick when she was running for mayor of FarmVille, but it’s going to be her downfall when she tries to compete on the national stage.  There was no gain from telling that story.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Oh, bullshit. “Farmer”. She bought a high dollar hunting dog and didn’t want to deal with it anymore. Real example of down home salt of the earth behavior there.
View All Quotes

That’s not what it says, but you go on and believe whatever fantasy you made up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By car15man:
A wire hair pointer was too dangerous?
A pointer?
View Quote

Yes.

My coworkers wife was mauled by one in her sister’s house not long ago.  Damn near ripped her scalp and left ear off when she fell and the dog attacked.

If you people saw the pictures before she was sewn back together, you would have been arguing about “which caliber for wire haired pointer.”

I love dogs-I truly do, but some of you need to realize that there are pets that are simply defective and need to be culled from the gene pool.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#22]

And apparently you have no clue what world a politician lives in. Her job is to say and do things that appeal to her voter base. Maybe that story did the trick when she was running for mayor of FarmVille, but it’s going to be her downfall when she tries to compete on the national stage.  There was no gain from telling that story.
View All Quotes

Who cares?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Who cares?
View Quote

You’re right, who cares, her political career isn’t going anywhere after this
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Note to self :

If Kristi Noem ever tells you " Hey let's go take a walk down to the gravel pit ! "

Don't go !
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By OKnativeson:
only on ArfCom.

men play tough saying things like animals should be put down.

then when someone does it, they clutch pearls and whine.

alot of dogs have to or should be killed.
its a sad part of dealing with them.
View Quote

And they don’t read the full article describing the feral/aggresive nature of this particular dog. We are Idiocracy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Boy, there’s a lot of arf “men” crying over their avocado toast this morning.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Lol clueless

"Yeah maybe the ncaa can force her hand over tranny stuff, but at least she shoots dogs"

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By muddywings:
MAGA is a cancer. Fuck these people.
View Quote

Yeah, the other side of the Republican Party is so much better
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#29]
The media and left crucified Mitt Romney for placing his dog in roof-top carrier during a road trip. Yeah, as a White House hopeful, writing about shooting your dog and a goat is an excellent idea.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:21:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _Redacted_] [#30]
The only thing she did wrong was talking about it and putting it in a book.

So if the entire reason you own something is for its effectiveness at performing a job, and it ceases to, or was never actually able to do,  said job, then you get rid of it, and get something that does.

It's not a like a working horse you can just put out to pasture.  It's a dog, and if when it's not working it can't be trusted around it's own owner not to bite, then it's not like you can just keep the dog around the house.  Plus, going after the chickens, the dog has a prey drive, which is good if it can be controlled, but if it can't, then it's a liability to have around period.

If anyone had a dog that made attempts at biting kids in the neighborhood,  you would have it put down, and everyone here would cheer for it and say you did the right thing.   You'd be an idiot to keep the dog/walking liability.

A purpose bread dog, that doesn't serve it's purpose and turns on its owner...some of you need to go clutch your pearls elsewhere and she should have just let sleeping dogs lie.

And I really hope you never spend anytime around working dog breeders and trainers, you'd lose you're shit with what generally happens with dogs like this
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
^ This.  

I love dogs.  Never had one that was inherently as bad as she described.  I agree it was probably not trained/raised property.
If a dog attacks it's owner, it should be put down.   It's sad, but the dog was her property.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JupiterMaximus:

And they don’t read the full article describing the feral/aggresive nature of this particular dog. We are Idiocracy.
View Quote

doesn't matter, even GD gets very sensitive about dogs. now imagine the average dumb voter reading about this, talking about this is unbelievably fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:22:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: L_JE] [#33]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

The dog killed chickens and tried to bite her when she attempted to control it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Originally Posted By L_JE:
She killed the dog because it wouldn't hunt the way she expected.  It wasn't that the dog was a danger to people, or a menace to animals on the farm.  She bought an expensive dog, it didn't meet her price tag expectations, so she dragged her off to be shot after coming back from her failed hunt.  The dog fucked up her hunt, not Noem, herself, but the dog fucked it up.  Then she immediately goes and grabs a goat that's been a pain in the ass and does the same thing.

The dog killed chickens and tried to bite her when she attempted to control it.
I have my doubts about how that went down.

It's right there.  This wasn't some beloved dog.  She hated this dog.  Already hated this dog before that day.  Untrainable.  And all this went down right after the dog fucked up her hunt.  

I have seen this before.  I will see this again.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:
Boy, there’s a lot of arf “men” crying over their avocado toast this morning.
View Quote

And there’s a lot of Farmer Fran’s who think that telling millions of emotional women that you killed a dog (who probably did need killing) is going to help your political career.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SavedByTheBlood:
Republicans just love to shoot themselves in the foot! Seriously why write about that?

Trump VP contender Kristi Noem writes of killing dog – and goat – in new book

“Cricket was a wirehair pointer, about 14 months old,” the South Dakota governor writes in a new book, adding that the dog, a female, had an “aggressive personality” and needed to be trained to be used for hunting pheasant.
What unfolds over the next few pages shows how that effort went very wrong indeed – and, remarkably, how Cricket was not the only domestic animal Noem chose to kill one day in hunting season.
View Quote

She includes her story about the ill-fated Cricket, she says, to illustrate her willingness, in politics as well as in South Dakota life, to do anything “difficult, messy and ugly” if it simply needs to be done.
By taking Cricket on a pheasant hunt with older dogs, Noem says, she hoped to calm the young dog down and begin to teach her how to behave. Unfortunately, Cricket ruined the hunt, going “out of her mind with excitement, chasing all those birds and having the time of her life”.
Noem describes calling Cricket, then using an electronic collar to attempt to bring her under control. Nothing worked.
View Quote

“I hated that dog,” Noem writes, adding that Cricket had proved herself “untrainable”, “dangerous to anyone she came in contact with” and “less than worthless … as a hunting dog”.
“At that moment,” Noem says, “I realised I had to put her down.”
Noem, who also represented her state in Congress for eight years, got her gun, then led Cricket to a gravel pit.
View Quote

“It was not a pleasant job,” she writes, “but it had to be done. And after it was over, I realised another unpleasant job needed to be done.”
Incredibly, Noem’s tale of slaughter is not finished.
Her family, she writes, also owned a male goat that was “nasty and mean”, because it had not been castrated. Furthermore, the goat smelled “disgusting, musky, rancid” and “loved to chase” Noem’s children, knocking them down and ruining their clothes.
Noem decided to kill the unnamed goat the same way she had just killed Cricket the dog. But though she “dragged him to a gravel pit”, the goat jumped as she shot and therefore survived the wound. Noem says she went back to her truck, retrieved another shell, then “hurried back to the gravel pit and put him down”.
View Quote

This is why women don’t belong in politics and leadership positions imho. Sounds like she got all emotionally overwhelmed and went on a killing spree.

View Quote

Behavioral euthanasia is a thing, it was a factor in putting down my dog Nitro, a GSD with a mean streak a mile wide.

If an animal were a danger to people, I've got no moral qualms with it.  I'd probably let the vet do it as opposed to shooting it myself, but then I'm not a fucking psychopath.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:27:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bikedamon] [#36]
Aaaaand she’s done.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Is it okay to do on a farm? Maybe, maybe not. Nobody really cares.

Was it a smart idea to discuss it publicly in a book to somehow try to improve your perception to win the hearts and minds of potential future constituents?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#38]
clickbait troll thread by a 20'r who left out essential and relevant information to understand the situation

the good news is that Noem doesn't rely on the political advice of arf-karens and has actually been elected governor

resume purse swinging
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:32:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Curmudgeon762] [#41]
View Quote

Whole thing smells no matter how you look at it. Growing up, we did have a couple dogs that just didn’t fit farm life. Liked to chase the cattle, roamed off, incessantly barking etc. All behavioral problems that we didn’t really have the time to correct by working with the animals. Shooting them was never even considered. They were both given to some girls in my high school and did fine. And even the most red neck individual I grew up with would be saying WTF? Why didn’t you find someone to take the dog? If they read this.

Dogs are awesome. I miss mine EVERY SINGLE DAY! Bottom line is she’s dead to me now. And probably millions of others. This will sink her carrier
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By drew5337:
, but then I'm not a fucking psychopath.
View Quote

You do you.

Same thing liberals say about hunters.  I'll just get my meat from the store, all you psycho hunters out there killing things to eat are out of touch
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 15jonshoot:

Why did you leave this part out?

When Noem finally grabbed Cricket, she says, the dog “whipped around to bite me”. Then, as the chickens’ owner wept, Noem repeatedly apologised, wrote the shocked family a check “for the price they asked, and helped them dispose of the carcasses littering the scene of the crime”.
View Quote

City folk love to show how "Civilized" they are. After all, they're experts after watching Bambi and various disney movies. Sometimes things are quite sad, but necessary in real life.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Whata dumb bitch.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By FG24U:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FG24U:

If it was meant as before the Simps for Noem then yes, I interpreted it incorrectly so I deleted the first post.

This isn't about understanding the realities of farm life, it is about the horrible judgement of a potential VP pick.

I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt so I edited my first post, I guess I shouldn't have.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:40:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NH556] [#46]
Seems like a dumb thing to write about as a politician, but not exactly a giant scandal.

Meanwhile, the guy in the white house has a dog that's bitten people 24 times  before finally removing it. That thing absolutely should have been put down after the first or second incident, yet relatively little outrage by the media
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By NH556:
Seems like a dumb thing to write about as a politician, but not exactly a giant scandal.

Meanwhile, the guy in the white house has a dog that's bitten people 24 times  before finally removing it. That thing absolutely should have been put down after the first or second incident, yet relatively little outrage by the media
View Quote

The media will spin it as “Kristi the barbarian, Biden the merciful”.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By NH556:

View Quote

Damn. That is spot on. Hadent even occurred to me but it will be interesting to watch the hypocrisy in the media over it
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#49]

It's right there.  This wasn't some beloved dog.  She hated this dog.  Already hated this dog before that day.  Untrainable.  And all this went down right after the dog fucked up her hunt.  

I have seen this before.  I will see this again.
View Quote

Yep! I’ve seen it also. Most untrained hunting dogs will have a shock collar on and would have been electrocuted before it got to landowners chickens.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By zentradi:
clickbait troll thread by a 20'r who left out essential and relevant information to understand the situation

the good news is that Noem doesn't rely on the political advice of arf-Karen's and has actually been elected governor

resume purse swinging
View Quote

I like that. Describes 87% of posters in GD.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top