Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm Gen X and I haven't carried cash since the late 90s.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Precious87:
I'm Gen X and I haven't carried cash since the late 90s.
View Quote
Same generation and I go years without carrying any.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn’t this the same crowd that carries a gun, three extra magazines, a knife in their sock, and a drop gun for all contingencies? But they don’t carry cash because everything is so predictable? It seems to be a betrayal of the mindset.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#4]
got dang milyennials
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TechOps:
Wow. Amazing story.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By KnightStick:
Imagine having such a mundane life that this is a story you feel worthy of telling to strangers on the internet.
View Quote

Imagine having such a pathetic life that we have the time to comment on this mundane story.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:

Yes, I left. I won't do business with "cash only" businesses.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JustinU235:
Originally Posted By MrKandiyohi:

Have you ever been in a situation where cash was the only way to pay?

I know some restaurants have started to give cash discounts.  It's not a lot, but if you can save money by pulling out cash instead of a card, some people will go for that.  And some people would prefer the owners get all of the money instead of some of it going to a credit card company.

Yes, I left. I won't do business with "cash only" businesses.

You probably didn’t have the right attire either. At some places, credit cards are gauche.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a millennial. Without looking I would wager there is about $4,000 in cash in my wallet right now. I need to spend some of that so it folds better. Maybe at a Penn station?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Unlubed:
I'm a millennial. Without looking I would wager there is about $4,000 in cash in my wallet right now. I need to spend some of that so it folds better. Maybe at a Penn station?
View Quote

McDonald's, you could get a few value meals, maybe.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I use cash whenever I can.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Even though a CC is primarily used for most purchases, there is always 3-400$ with me somewhere for the occasional broke down card reader, power outage, etc. I always tip in cash. It’s anybody’s own business whether they want to carry some cash of course. The lack of foresight stretches across all the generations these days though and is amusing to watch when a card isn’t an option. Lol!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By eurotrash:
I’m at Penn Station East Coast Subs in Nashville. Their system is down and there is a line of Millennials waiting for the system to come back up so they can place their orders. Luckily, cash is part of my EDC, so I skipped the line.
View Quote

same sorta deal

the internet went down and no ccard readers were working in this part of the state during harvest

the line of semi's at the gas station was 20 trucks deep just sitting

I asked

"why is nobody using the pumps"

she said

"nobody has cash"

I asked

"you have fuel if I have cash?"

"yep"

"please turn on pump 8 I have 10 $100 bills to cover my fuel bill"

"pull right up"

laughing all the way out of the gas station at the morons who don't carry any backup cash
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Just came back from the post office. Paper sign behind the front door said cash only, network was down. Made me think of this thread with a smile

Dear diary: today I told my secret thoughts on Arfcom
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MrKandiyohi:
A month ago I was visiting my sister and BIL.  One of their sons and his wife were also visiting.  The BIL wanted to go to fish fry, so we went out for dinner.  

It was at a small bar in WI, and it was a cash only bar.  My sister and BIL didn't have enough cash with them, so I offered to pay.  I asked how much she needed to pay the bill, and she told me $60.

My nephew and his wife(25/26yo - technially Gen Z) were amazed I had enough cash on hand to cover the bill.  They acted like I was Daddy Warbucks.  I told them I typically had $200 in my wallet and would let it get down to around $100 before I refilled it.  They couldn't wrap their heads around this idea.

My BIL rebuilds cars as a hobby, and I know he used to go to a lot of swap meets.  I bet alot of those guys would have $5-10k in their wallet to cover the parts they wanted to buy.

I rarely use cash, so the vast wealth I store in my wallet will last me a long time.

So, yeah, I know the youngsters don't carry cash.
View Quote

damn, that’s funny/ironic. i’m with you, despite being a technical millenial. i always keep anywhere from 200-400 cash on me regardless of where im going, as you never know if you’ll need it, internet doesn’t work, card reader is broked, etc.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Lexington:

You probably didn't have the right attire either. At some places, credit cards are gauche.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By KnightStick:
Imagine having such a mundane life that this is a story you feel worthy of telling to strangers on the internet.
View Quote

It's better than 90% of the stories on mainstream media, both in grammar and relevant details.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
Just came back from the post office. Paper sign behind the front door said cash only, network was down. Made me think of this thread with a smile
Dear diary: today I told my secret thoughts on Arfcom
View Quote
I'm not going to say that it happens every day, but my carrying cash has come in handy enough times that I always carry it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:18:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Never_A_Wick] [#18]

So perfectly normal, well-adjusted people fling poop 8K times a year in political threads but they don’t start threads about light-hearted GD generational banter. That’s a pretty advanced cope.
View Quote

The cope exists with someone who thinks all of my posts are “flinging poop in political threads.”

BIG miss.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Carrying cash is stupid

If you need cash just suck a dick
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:59:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4q2] [#20]
Originally Posted By perfectsilence:
Carrying cash is stupid

If you need cash just suck a dick
View Quote

Hey , if that’s what you do , I won’t judge .Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Anymore I hardly carry cash on me anymore, I used to religiously.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m at Penn Station East Coast Subs in Nashville. Their system is down and there is a line of Millennials waiting for the system to come back up so they can place their orders. Luckily, cash is part of my EDC, so I skipped the line.
View Quote

I'm almost 50 and never carry cash. Get with the times gramps.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Cashiers practically roll their eyes out of their heads when I try and pay with cash.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I try to keep some cash on me at all times a 50$ , a 100$ bill or sometimes just a couple of twentys . It comes in handy often enough to keep doing it .
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#25]
May your cashless chains rest lightly upon you.

Proudly stating you dont have cash on you is advertising you're ready to line up for your social credit score.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:26:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By FaunaBeware:

Proudly stating you dont have cash on you is advertising you're ready to line up for your social credit score.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Hmm these 2020+ join date accounts sure know how to troll. Like moths to a flame.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:40:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gamboolman] [#28]
Usually have $1K to $3K

I do play Pokersszzzzz at the local card house pretty regularly.  Also pay cash at businesses to get the Cash discount for not using a credit card - it's a real thing....

Cash is good to have, e.g., Hurricanes, Ice Storms, Power Failures, etc, but if you have to be told that then...." />
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 21usernamechecksout:
How do you know they're millennials?

You know there are other Generations, right?

Zoomers
Gen z
Gen x
Boomers

I'm a millennial and I carry cash on me.
View Quote

The trend toward not using cash is accelerating the move to a social credit system, like China has. Fiat cash is (and always has been) a government wealth siphon by design. Going to totally electonic payment is that compounded with total monitoring and control. Cash still preserves some anonymity. Good on you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

People who run data centers have a vested interest in cashless societies and social credit scores, so it’s not surprising they mock comments like this.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Counting physical money and reading analog clocks will give today's young people PTSD.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:55:21 AM EDT
[#33]
II always carry a couple of hundred dollars in Walking around cash,
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Well said
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#35]

I recognize you.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
I haven't carried cash in years.

View Quote

+1

About the ONLY things I spend cash on are range fees and an occasional beer at the Sportsman's club.

Plastic lets me know where I spent my money so I can monitor my spending.

I do keep a small stash of cash in a safe in case I run into a cash only deal of some sort.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#37]
I’m 42, so I’m not sure if I’m Gen X or not, but I never carry cash.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:50:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:50:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By runcible:
I always carry cash. I almost never use it, but I always carry it.

What's the point of cash for small purchases? (And what constitutes a "small" purchase?)
View Quote

People still carry cash? Fuck that!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#40]
I’m a millennial.  I carry at least an emergency $20 folded up in the wallet for things like this ir getting gas.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Flysc:
The trend toward not using cash is accelerating the move to a social credit system, like China has.
View Quote
Statists jerk off to fantasies of a cashless America.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#42]
I traveled 50%+ for work for over 20 years.  For the last 7 years of that, a significant part of my job was mentoring junior consultants. The importance of carrying cash has been part of that mentoring.  

There are things that should be common sense when traveling. You carry a backup CC, on a different network .  At least one of your credit cards should be yours's alone, with no one else on the account. You carry a day's worth of expenses in cash. You carry a second form of ID or at least a photocopy of your ID in your bag.  You carry important phone numbers on paper, on your person. You carry the customer's address and contact info with you on paper.

I keep two laminated cards (one in my wallet, one in my bag) with phone numbers on one side and hotel/rental car/airline loyalty info on the other. I also still print my flight itinerary and outbound boarding pass. I carry two days worth of my RX meds and a toothbrush in my computer case.

These things are often the difference between minor inconveniences and something that escalates into really bad day...or worst.

I've walked off the plane to find my cell plan did not have data service. My cell phone was damaged while traveling internationally once.  I was traveling when my wife lost her purse and cancelled all the credit cards.  I've lost count of how many times the company credit card was turned off because they were late on payments. I was in route to a customer site on 9/11. I have taken a group of customer employees out to lunch, only to find the restaurant did not accept CCs.  Been at a gas station in southern LA when all phones & CC processing was down.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By TexanInOhio4:
Counting physical money and reading analog clocks will give today's young people PTSD.
View Quote

Hold up I have some nice affordable mechanical watches that I wear regularly. Hell I prefer them to the smart watch my gen X father wears.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#44]
i carry a minimum of $150 in various bills in my shirt pocket

shirts with pockets > pocketless shirts
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Mech2007:
I was up in Cambridge, MA a few weeks ago visiting my son and we went to the one Square near Harvard. We decided to get something to drink and went in the one Asian restaurant. When I paid for our drinks, I used cash and got a reaction like I had tried to pay with beads and shiny rocks.

My son told me that I was probably the first person to pay for cash since the place opened.
View Quote

i was once chased out of a restaurant for not paying after i put the appropriate amount of cash plus tip in the little folder thing and left

i told them to go look on the goddamned table
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Several restaurants I frequent offer a discount for cash - most are 3.5%.   Not a big deal, but it adds up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Lexington:
Isn’t this the same crowd that carries a gun, three extra magazines, a knife in their sock, and a drop gun for all contingencies? But they don’t carry cash because everything is so predictable? It seems to be a betrayal of the mindset.
View Quote

That's a great point
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#48]
People that carry cash dress weird

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:03:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sandbowl1980] [#49]
Originally Posted By W202fan90:
Cashiers practically roll their eyes out of their heads when I try and pay with cash.
View Quote

Grant you I very very very seldom use cash even though I carry 1k. I charge everything on my credit card. I never use my debit card except at bank atm. But the few times I did pay for something using cash. I have never had anyone ever roll their eyes or act as if it were an inconvenience. I see a lot of people in public who use cash. I never looked at them as stupid or an inconvenience to my life.

This comment is not directed at you.

I just read where credit card debt is in the hundreds of billions now. After reading some posts on here I can can see why now. Of all the stupid shit to bash people over today. People carrying cash or using cash is not one of them.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By tooldforthis:

same sorta deal

the internet went down and no ccard readers were working in this part of the state during harvest

the line of semi's at the gas station was 20 trucks deep just sitting

I asked

"why is nobody using the pumps"

she said

"nobody has cash"

I asked

"you have fuel if I have cash?"

"yep"

"please turn on pump 8 I have 10 $100 bills to cover my fuel bill"

"pull right up"

laughing all the way out of the gas station at the morons who don't carry any backup cash
View Quote

Same same. Except mine was at a grocery store. Bad storm had knocked out a lot of power in the area. Grocery store had power, but no net to run cards or process checks. Went in and loaded cart, came back up front to a frustrated line of people, and an aggravated manager trying to explain to people that they couldn't take cards or checks.

He finally says really loudly "Does ANYBODY here have cash?",  I hollered out that I did, and he says bring your cart on up. Oh the fury of the other people in line, lol.

One guy even chased me out into the parking lot and offered to write me a check for 300 bucks if i'd give him 200 cash.

This went on for two days, bank was shut down so nobody could get cash anywhere.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top