Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:52:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tacocat] [#1]
They are all at my house.  Its unreal how loud those motherfuckers croak in the ditch around my house.  It will honestly hurt your ears after a few minutes.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a bunch here. Saw one today. He was red, guess from hibernating in the Georgia red clay. My son has named one that lives around our back porch. It's back again this year, he saw it a few days ago.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tacocat:
They are all at my house.  Its unreal how loud those motherfuckers croak in the ditch around my house.  It will honestly hurt your ears after a few minutes.
View Quote
My pool cover is a toad/frog truck stop. It is a free for all orgy most nights.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:19:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MTNShewter] [#4]
Page 2!  They’re all in @Lou_Dak ‘s toilet.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MTNShewter:
Page 2!  They’re all in @Lou_Dak ‘s toilet.
View Quote

You beat me to it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:27:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nefj40] [#6]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

In Arizona and the SW, the reduced prevalence of horny toads is related to changes in the range caused by grazing patterns. Former patterns of grazing increased the number of anthills that resulted in a lot of horny toads everywhere.

At least that’s what I heard from a dude that gets paid for it. And I do recall a shitload of anthills back during the fabled Golden Age of Horny Toads.
View Quote

There's something to this. I never saw one until last year, then they were everywhere.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 0100010:
Climate change made them gay and they went extinct.

A toad hopped in the back door the other day, seemed he was trying to get out of the rain.
View Quote

Checks out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By tommyg52:
toads are rare around here, see one couple times a year used to be everywhere,, haven't seen a fire fly in years
View Quote

See both all the time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
I'm central west.  Exact same my entire life until about 3-5 years ago.  About to call the fish cops and ask them WTF is going on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dogsoldier03:
All over in Northern Illinois. I find them around my house and garage area alot.  But the times I see them the most is out on the road after a heavy rain.
They are all over the road and you can't help but drive over them. Food for the birds i guess.
I'm central west.  Exact same my entire life until about 3-5 years ago.  About to call the fish cops and ask them WTF is going on.

Hmmm, I'll have to play closer attention this year and see if there seems to be a decline.  To be fair, I am no longer in the burbs, and in a rural area, so we probably see a bit more than areas more developed.  I would think your area would be fairly similar to me though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Not long ago and for my entire life almost anything you flipped over in the daytime had a toad under it and every streetlight had several under it.  When it rained there were so many on the streets you couldn't drive around them.

Havent seen one in a while now.  

Anyone else have this?
View Quote

Where do you live?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#11]
C’mon down to FL and get some Australian Cane Toads, Mate!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#13]
You are just older and taller and don’t notice them like you were a kid.

Out mushroom hunting I see all sorts of stuff I don’t see in my day to day suburban life.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
Same here
also missing are fire flies, Monarch butterflies, and the green lizards that their tail breaks off. They used to be all over when I was a kid but now nothing
View Quote

The green anoles had almost been totally replaced by those pink Mediterranean geckos around here (came in to Galveston in a load of Italian roof tiles after WW2), but it seems the deep freeze two years ago hit the geckos harder than the anoles, so I am seeing tons of anoles now and no geckos.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By PoiDog:

Same here. We see them along our fence line, and in the back of the property near some water.

They do seem fewer in number, but are still out there.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PoiDog:
Originally Posted By Dogsoldier03:
All over in Northern Illinois. I find them around my house and garage area alot.  But the times I see them the most is out on the road after a heavy rain.
They are all over the road and you can't help but drive over them. Food for the birds i guess.

Same here. We see them along our fence line, and in the back of the property near some water.

They do seem fewer in number, but are still out there.

Yea we have a pretty decent creek behind our house, with a wooded area,  so it is probably ideal for them. I do think the pesticides being used in general probably play a part in creating less desirable environments, both with the chemicals, and less food because of less insects with the spraying.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Not long ago and for my entire life almost anything you flipped over in the daytime had a toad under it and every streetlight had several under it.  When it rained there were so many on the streets you couldn't drive around them.

Anyone else have this?
View Quote

Super sensitive to environmental toxins that are absorbed through their skin.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was a kid south of DFW, we had horned toads all over the place. We also had various other toads near the creek and pond. My brother says they aren't around any more for some reason.

Back in Virginia, we would get what I referred to as "screamatodes". They'd puff up under their mouth and let loose an incredible racket. They'd all scream at the same time trying to attract a mate. They didn't even care that we walked right up to them. They'd still scream. I guess they only have a certain amount of time to find a GF so a guy has to do what a guy has to do.

Down here along the Gulf Coast, we have both anoles and geckos. I did see one horned toad last year but that was it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:05:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jtskier11] [#18]
They’re usually thick during wheat harvest. Got some fat ones that sit right under the shop lights catching bugs at night.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:20:55 PM EDT
[#19]
They are still around here in central Illinois, but the numbers seem to be way down from what I remember as a kid.

Same with other things like fuzzy caterpillars.

I imagine agricultural advancements in pest resistant crops along with pesticide use has put a major dent in the insect population

Even deeper than that, agricultural use of herbicide and fungicide has done significant damage to the microbiome and soil composition.

More Brawndo!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 55sixer:
They are still around here in central Illinois, but the numbers seem to be way down from what I remember as a kid.

Same with other things like fuzzy caterpillars.

I imagine agricultural advancements in pest resistant crops along with pesticide use has put a major dent in the insect population

Even deeper than that, agricultural use of herbicide and fungicide has done significant damage to the microbiome and soil composition.

More Brawndo!!!
View Quote

Shits tarded, but tards can't think of even first order effects, much less 3rd and 4th order effects.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By gearjammer351:
They went gay and then extinct.

Alex tried to warn us.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Emeoba69:
You are just older and taller and don't notice them like you were a kid.

Out mushroom hunting I see all sorts of stuff I don't see in my day to day suburban life.
View Quote
No.  I'm talking about a few years as a middle aged man making a difference.  A few years back (2020) I had to clean them out of my neighbors' window wells so they wouldn't dry up and die.  They're just gone now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I see toads every now and then when I am out riding my dirt bike.

If we see one on the trail we'll stop and move the little guy out of the way.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#24]
No shortage of them in my local areas.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Plenty at my house.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I think they come and go.

For a very long time(years maybe a decade or 2 or more) we didn't have lizards.  Only geckos. Never had geckos in the 80s.

Now the lizards are back and rarely see a gecko.

This guy here is sacrificing it all to bring back the lizard population.  And he's having fun doing it!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I didn't have as many toads, but we did have a bunch.

One thing I KINOW has changed is the number of red ants and the number of Horned Lizards, Horney Toad, etc.

When I was a kid growing up in PHX and spending summers in White Mountains we constantly had to be on the alert for red ants.

Not anymore though. The number of red ants is way down in the valley and most of AZ, but so are the number of Horned lizards that depended on ant populations.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Anyone else have this?
View Quote

Visit Lou_Dak and look in his toilets.  He got you covered.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By dropdbombnow:
When was the last time you saw a horned toad?

They used to be everywhere . . . not anymore.
View Quote

I think domestic cats have something to do with that. But I’ve noticed that they are a more rare occurrence now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:02:10 AM EDT
[#30]
They are everywhere in the swamp I call home. They vex my dachshunds and and make them foam at the mouth, at least a couple of times til they learn.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:11:26 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Fire ants are a big reason you don’t see them anymore…
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:25:05 AM EDT
[#32]
They live in toilets now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#33]
We used to have tons of different frogs and toads in the neighborhood when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s. When you stepped outside at night you could hear them all the way down the street.
They were mostly gone in the early 2000s. Now I hardly hear them anymore.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:22:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By engineer61:
There is a fungus that is attacking amphibians worldwide. Some amphibians are very resistant to it, so there numbers are maintaining, many aren't and they are going extinct.
View Quote

This is the most correct. The global amphibian decline has been going on since the 1970's. The decline is real and well documented. Many theorys why, but no one knows for sure the cause. You can google it to find out more information.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:57:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mikNtx] [#35]
Beavis and Butthead - Frog Sucking
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
I see them all the time.
View Quote

I almost step on them in the dog pen and when trimming the grass.  I have to be somewhat careful not to run over them with the mower as they hop out of the way.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Codyboy:
I think they come and go.

For a very long time(years maybe a decade or 2 or more) we didn't have lizards.  Only geckos. Never had geckos in the 80s.

Now the lizards are back and rarely see a gecko.

This guy here is sacrificing it all to bring back the lizard population.  And he's having fun doing it!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257708/1000001361_jpg-3199967.JPG

View Quote

They do. Pretty much everything in nature is on a boom and bust cycle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#38]
I live rural, 50 miles NW of the shitty of Houston. Still common to see the roads covered with the little penny frogs while it's raining,Yeserday I was outside at dusk, as soon as the first firefly blinked the croaking set off as if it was on cue. The trees are full of loud ass croakers all summer. My dog pack reacts to them with more noise, which the croakers ignore
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 2thflr:
They must have all come to my house.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Just get a pool. You will be cleaning them out of skimmers after every rain.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Lot of them still running around coastal Carolina.

Tree frogs too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#43]
The population decrease is directly related to seventh grade science class experiments.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Sleepym4:
A lot of dark colored frogs have started to move into areas. The lighter skinned toads are moving into the country.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Horned toads primary food source is the red ant. But imported fire ants effectively displace red ants.  Horned toads can't eat fire ants.  So their food source is disappearing.  With much less food, there are far fewer horned toads.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By dcat:

The green anoles had almost been totally replaced by those pink Mediterranean geckos around here (came in to Galveston in a load of Italian roof tiles after WW2), but it seems the deep freeze two years ago hit the geckos harder than the anoles, so I am seeing tons of anoles now and no geckos.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dcat:
Originally Posted By mcantu:
Same here
also missing are fire flies, Monarch butterflies, and the green lizards that their tail breaks off. They used to be all over when I was a kid but now nothing

Cuban brown anoles have been replacing the native green anoles in big Texas cities like Houston for over a decade now.  They got in on plants through big box stores, apparently.  You know what the greens look like.  The browns have mottled white spots all over their bodies and can change between shades of brown but can't turn green.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top