Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Got issued one in flight school in 2003, Uncle Sam didn’t take it back and I still have it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:16:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#2]
I still have the one I bought as a kid at the Sunny’s Surplus store new in the USGI carton.  Used that for years camping and playing outside at night.  It’s on a shelf in my office now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
We had them. I preferred the French one. Same light but smaller and used AA batteries.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Firefinder37:
Mandatory on our battle rattle in the early 80's...they sucked.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/107248/1397173_10201190016148743_76212896897175-3199974.JPG
View Quote

I hated those boots. They used to make us strip off the protective coating so the toes and heels could be spit-shined.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Fox:
Pieces. Of. Shit.  All I can say about them.

View Quote

Even back then they were shit. Dad had two. I remember the Fresnel and red filters. There may have been a blue?

The ergos were all wrong. LED conversion just updates the suck.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Friend of mine, we'll all of us, had one of those angled units for working on aircraft.  His quit working on him so he beat on it, shook it, and generally screwed with it for several minutes. Finally with a yell of frustration and ager he hurled it over the side of the boat. Oddly enough the flashlight came on as it was flying through the air. Watch saw the light in the water and called a man overboard withh all that such a thing entails.
Problem was, issue number and work center were stenciled on the light. He got into a bit of trouble over that one.

The point is, those flashlights sucked and they never should have been a standard issue item.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Remember always having one, didn’t remember if I had it in my LBE or not.
Pulled this up, sure enough, barely see it, but looks like it’s on there.
Sporting the birth control glasses as well.

Steel pot > kevlar.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two later ones. One converted to led, the other not.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:51:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 14BoltFF] [#9]
I still have all mine from 2004-08. Plus two from my father (late 1960s, the two to the left of the black one) and the black one from my great uncle.
The gray one is the Navy version.
I have a couple with LED conversion bulbs. They're still dim.

ETA: Just noticed I have 3 out of the 4 in the photo that OP posted.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:25:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 14BoltFF] [#10]
Flashlights from 1917 to 2000

Wiki article

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:04:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep, nostalgic but absolute junk!   You had to keep hitting it to get it to work lol
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:00:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ambridge77] [#12]
Originally Posted By DD1801:
Yep, nostalgic but absolute junk!   You had to keep hitting it to get it to work lol
View Quote

My brother and I hit it on each other, but not
to get it working.  

Edit - Cop flashlights then were heavier and hurt worse.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I think I have three of them? They all work fine and I never had issues with them. The light they put out sucked and battery life was meh. We usually had a second flashlight like a small LED type to supplement them. Being part of the uniform, you had to have them with you in the field.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Snallygaster:
In the 80’s, we were issued the one on the right. Big, weak, and the bulbs burned out always at the wrong time.

We all bought mini mags which had just come out, duct taped an Alice clip on them, and hung them on our lbe.
View Quote

Same same in the early 2000s, except it was early gen Surefire lights along with the single AA Maglite. We’d take the 90deg light red lens and cut it to fit the Mini Maglite bezel, held in place and beam reduced via 100mph tape.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Good thread!  Damn ARFCOM... "I do not need any D-cell angle heads" repeated many times...

The half dozen or so AA useless mini mag lights I have will suffice.  

I have several of the Streamlight Pro Tac 90 dual fuel which are a great light.  Also have the sidewinder and boot which are decent.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:
Good thread!  Damn ARFCOM... "I do not need any D-cell angle heads" repeated many times...

The half dozen or so AA useless mini mag lights I have will suffice.  

I have several of the Streamlight Pro Tac 90 dual fuel which are a great light.  Also have the sidewinder and boot which are decent.
View Quote

I have a bunch because I snatched up the unwanted ones from my fellow Marines. I bought the sand colored one at the PX because it was different. I remember the price being super low, like $10-12.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I had one of those in the early eighties. It came from a pretty decent Army/Navy surplus store IIRC somewhere in Kansas.
IIRC the switch in the thing was always flaky and you had to fiddle with it to get full brightness out of the bulb.

"Full brightness" wasn't all that spectacular either.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I still have the one I had on active duty starting May 1977. It still has the red filter with a 1/8" hole in the center.  The hole was so you could read maps at night.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#20]
A 18650 li cell with some cardboard and an aluminum plug can convert one of these to be lighter and longer life
Add a led conversion to it and it can go a longtime on one battery
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#21]
The real bitch was changing the lens color plate in the dead of night under a poncho so you could read a map

Unfuckingreal
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Nitecore and others make an L flashlight LED type used as a head light with removable strap.

No Nostalgia, but an L lamp is handy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TriggerM:
Never has the military angle head. But I remember the  crappy low output flashlights I has in the 70s. I thought. I had the real deal when I got maglights. Today's 18650 flashlights are light years ahead.  I wonder what we'll have in 20 more years.
View Quote

Fond memories of my buddies and I sharing few D Cell maglights on our camping and night fishing trips ..and glad to have them.

Even the current $4 Chinese led lights are better in every way...haha
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I was fixated by these in the scouts in mid ‘90’s. They were the epitome of cool and high tech.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Same same in the early 2000s, except it was early gen Surefire lights along with the single AA Maglite. We'd take the 90deg light red lens and cut it to fit the Mini Maglite bezel, held in place and beam reduced via 100mph tape.
View Quote
I was going to post something very similar. I had the original angle flashlight in the late 90's or early 2000's. During some training or school at Fort Benning back then, I went to Ranger Joe's and bought an early CR123a tactical flashlight. At the time it was expensive, almost $80 or so which was a lot of money for me at the time. I cut a red filter from an issue flashlight and duct-taped it to my tactical light, and it was like a red laser beam compared to the weak D cell angle head flashlight. But it was still a red light, so it was permitted.

I loaned it to a few of my buddies so they could pass night land-nav. It definitely helped and was just so dramatically better than the (then) current light. In regular units, the angle head flashlight was standard gear clipped to your LBE for years around that time.

The issue light had a blue filter too, which I never used and wondered why it was even there. But at Fort Benning, we lived by red light during the night (but even then only when needed). Light discipline!

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#26]
They gave us those at school. Everyone ditched them for more compact options as we had to carry a light at all times while on the ship.

They were kind of cool though and I'm mad at myself for tossing mine.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By HikerB:
<snip)

The issue light had a blue filter too, which I never used and wondered why it was even there. But at Fort Benning, we lived by red light during the night (but even then only when needed). Light discipline!

View Quote
The blue lens was so you could get two flashlights and run around with a red and blue lenses pretending to be a cop car

The one we were issued came with a red, blue, white/opaque and a clear diffuser lens. There was also a spare bulb in a holder in the base.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:19:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 14BoltFF] [#28]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
The blue lens was so you could get two flashlights and run around with a red and blue lenses pretending to be a cop car

The one we were issued came with a red, blue, white/opaque and a clear diffuser lens. There was also a spare bulb in a holder in the base.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
Originally Posted By HikerB:
<snip)

We used the blue filter on suicide watch duty in boot camp. The "suicidal" dudes had their rack set up at the head of the squad bay and they had to have a blue light shined on them all night to make sure they didn't try anything goofy. Damn pussies making everyone in the platoon pull extra watches.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#29]
In the 80’s, we were issued the one on the right. Big, weak, and the bulbs burned out always at the wrong time.

We all bought mini mags which had just come out, duct taped an Alice clip on them, and hung them on our lbe.
View Quote

All this

I still have an issues one. I'm a bit of a flash light geek, I remember when the first Surefire 6P came out with the 65 lumen incandescent bulb.

We thought it was a game changer. I electrical taped one to the Handguard of my M16A2 for doing room clearance.

The Old angle head was enough to let you move and ground guide vehicles at night and to navigate around the assembly area and out to the LPOP.

Once the MiniMag light was being sold in the PX, we stopped carrying the Issue light. but we still had them in our BII for the vehicles.

BA30's (D cell battery) sucked.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Still have issued one from the late 80's.

So dim, you had to strike a match to see it burn.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I was fixated by these in the scouts in mid ‘90’s. They were the epitome of cool and high tech.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#33]
anyone ever heard of a habu light from the vietnam era?  my dad was air force, and mentioned that they were issued small flashlights and told not to walk around base without using them to spot snakes at night.

been trying to find one for a nostalgia gift, but haven't been able to.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 87GMC4X4:
I'm no help but I went into every surplus store I could as a kid. I would love an LED repro with modern tech.
View Quote

NiteIze and others make a 75 lumen drop-in LED replacement for those old incan bulbs, running on two D cells.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I have one
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Just got the sunday surplus E-mail from Centerfire Systems which just so happens to have this made in France model.

https://centerfiresystems.com/french-tl122d-anglehead-flashlight-like-new/

The French TL122D Anglehead Flashlight in like-new condition is a classic and dependable military-grade flashlight. Despite its vintage style, this flashlight retains its functionality and reliability, making it suitable for collectors, enthusiasts, or for use in outdoor activities where dependable lighting is essential.

French military issue
   Morse code button
   Clips to shirt pocket, also stands on base
   Uses 2 D batteries (not included)
   8" high

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Frank762:
In the early 90s we used small "maglite" type flashlights that took 2 AA batteries. Lighter, brighter, lasted longer, and took up a fraction of the space. They sold them on base with the same colored lenses and a camo pouch/sheath.

I still have my issue light though.
View Quote
Basic Infantry Training 1986, the MX-991/U, it was on the required to buy list for that first trip to the PX.  Those ones didn't have the switch guard molded into the main body.   I think in 1991 or 92 I started seeing the MX-991/U with the molded in switch guard.  They were fine for admin purposes or mech infantry.    

By time I got to an 81mm Mortar Plt in the 502nd Inf, we used the 2AA Mini Mag Lites with the black leather holder 100mph taped to our LBE harness.   It was so much easier to use with the red lens for checking the Elevation and Deflection bubbles on the mortar sight and, for night land nav.  

Overall the Mini Mag Lights were smaller, lighter and more durable than the MX-991/U.  Carrying spare batteries saved pounds in your rucksack and, the same AA batteries could be used in your Sony Walkman.   AA Batteries are lighter than the D Batteries, and, you could use them for some of the Army issued devices back then, too, like the PSN-11 PLGR.

Removing the rubber cap to use or remove the red lens was so much quicker than unscrewing the MX-991/U lens cap.     Or,  with the Mini MagLite you just kept the red lens in place of the clear lens for sustained ops in Light Infantry, less chance of that rubber hex cap falling off losing your red lens or exposing your position.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Same same in the early 2000s, except it was early gen Surefire lights along with the single AA Maglite. We’d take the 90deg light red lens and cut it to fit the Mini Maglite bezel, held in place and beam reduced via 100mph tape.
View All Quotes

You'd think uncle would pick up the Maglite red filter for you. They were available.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Stryfe:

You'd think uncle would pick up the Maglite red filter for you. They were available.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stryfe:

I thought the same thing.  Mini mag light was it back in the day... Maybe they didn't kiss uncle ass?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By wesr228:
View Quote

I remember the same thing in the late 1980s.  I can remember buying better krypton bulbs for them to replace the original tungsten bulb.  10 or 15 years later I swapped those out for the first of the 2d LED conversion bulbs from Nite-Ize or Maglite.  I keep them around to remind me of how good we have it now. Lol

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:
We had the plastic ones when I enlisted in the mid 90s. Always had them hanging off our lbe and lbv and had to use red lenses. Hell in sfas land nav we had to use Pancho to cover us for light discipline.
View Quote

We didn’t have flashlights in recruit training. We were taught adaptation to the dark, move quietly, and swiftly. There was only one authorize cadence call and its use was restricted only certain circumstances. This was during the wind down of the Vietnam War. The Marine Corps had shifted tactics to hunting the enemy at night. We didn’t have night vision; but practiced using mussel flash to obtain sight picture during the ambush.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I have these in several lights.

Paladin

https://niteize.com/high-power-led-upgrade
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#44]
The Olight Perun 2 is a pretty decent modern angle-head light. Mine's orange.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top