User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sporter:
In before the 6'4", commercial pilot, black belt, forklift certified, 3 plate club meme.
View Quote

You mean you’re not the typical GD’er…

@JLPettimoreIII
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I got 25 of those solidly covered. Three more in passable fashion.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Kind of ridiculous that it doesn't include trapping and skinning of furbearers when pelts like fisher and sable could bring over ten dollars a piece during the depression. Things like gambling skills and a second language were pretty pointless to most American men in 1933.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:27:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Lost me at swim a mile. That’s what boats are for.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:09:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve got most of it covered, and feel fine without my weak points. Weak points, like many in this thread, are the following:

Knowing how to play an instrument. Just never worked out for me. Love music, I just never had to study an instrument and didn’t do so on my own as a hobby. I think a better judgement would be generally skilled in at least one “fine” art.

Riding a horse. I have ridden horses several times, including bare back when I was young, and might be able to fumble my way through it now, but I wouldn’t be the slightest bit confident in it without help.

Second language. I know enough Spanish to cover my absolute basics of survival, but far from being fluent. ¿Donde esta la biblioteca? Dame dos cervesas por favor. ¡El baño, pronto!

Dealing with a severed artery. TQ or hella pressure, and hope we can get to a hospital in time is about all I know? Maybe that’s what they mean? Regardless, my medical knowledge could be better, but I’m still better than the bulk of the general public I guess.

Little bit skeeved about being comfortable underwater, but that’s mostly because we have very, very dark water on our lake. In crystal clear water I’m much more relaxed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:23:39 AM EDT
[#6]
My handwriting is terrible, my wife banned me from entering checks into our checkbook.
Got most of the others covered though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:29:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scratch45] [#7]
Originally Posted By Mg5:
Swimming a mile is no joke.
View Quote

I swam 1/4 mile once for a mini triathlon.   The swim was a bitch.

A mile is quite a ways to swim
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:32:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Can do some, can't do others. I played cello back in school, now I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it. I usually chicken scratch print when I write. The other day, I wrote a note I would have preferred to not look like it came from a serial killer. I dug deep and managed to write it out pretty decent in cursive.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:34:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GDaawg:
I'd say young men today only know 1/3rd of that list.
View Quote

The vast majority of young men in 1933 weren't doing that, either
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:48:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I have swam a mile in a pool in college when I had access to an olympic pool. In open water, I have only swam 600 yards in a Triathlon.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RedAngus:

You mean you're not the typical GD'er

@JLPettimoreIII
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431:
Can do some, can't do others. I played cello back in school, now I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it. I usually chicken scratch print when I write. The other day, I wrote a note I would have preferred to not look like it came from a serial killer. I dug deep and managed to write it out pretty decent in cursive.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FudgieGhost1:
Yeah, I know HOW to do it.  I just can't actually do it.
View Quote

I did it once. Once. In Boy Scouts. 55 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:55:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#14]
Originally Posted By Joe_Pennsy:

The vast majority of young men in 1933 weren't doing that, either
View Quote

It's like Heinlein's list:

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”
It's what someone SHOULD be able to do. It's something to aspire to.
Now Diapers, ships (well, canoes), buildings (hen houses), program a computer, cooperate, act alone... these things I can and have done.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I think out of that list, the only one I can not do is speak a foriegn language.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Surprisingly met a good portion of that list. I guess I ain’t a total failure.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#17]
dont get married
make real money
if people know you, they owe you.
hold or have the ability to obtain uncommon knowledge, which builds leverage.

all you need right there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Man, some things change and some things don't. I find it amazing that in 1933 it made perfect sense to learn French and German, especially if one was going to be involved in International business. Today, that would be virtually worthless in comparison to learning Spanish and Chinese Mandarin.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#19]
My hand writing is terrible.

I’m GTG on all the others.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top