Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Why did boomers not offer pensions to millennials like the Greatest Generation did for them?
View Quote

Plenty of millennials at my old job retiring right now with pensions.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I enjoy my retirement and have enough money to last threw my grand kids why? cause I worked my fucking ass off
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:15:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#3]
Why did boomers not offer pensions to millennials like the Greatest Generation did for them?
View Quote

Pensions became casualties of the Corporate Raiders of Wall Street.  All that sweet cash just sitting there for the taking.  Washington & Wall Street sold Americans on "Individual (voluntary) Retirement Accounts" with Wall Street making bank off of fees & percentages and many Americans living paycheck to paycheck not participating much if at all.

Unless someone is working a .GOV job, these days pensions are a rare bird &;mostly a thing of the past as few employees will work a 20+ year career with a single employer unlike in say Japan or Germany.

With inflation & the insanity in housing (rents increase & the prices of modest "starter homes" are often out of reach) it is no wonder a young Adults aren't saving much for retirement.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
No shit, they can't afford it.
View Quote

This might be part of it. I wish we were able to save more. Not sure how we're going to reach our retirement goals to live the retirement we want to.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:26:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OKnativeson] [#5]
Originally Posted By CTYC313:
Have young adults as a whole ever saved for retirement? I received a pension, but didn't put a dime into my 401k untill my 30's and didn't really bump it up until my 40's. It's a lot easier to save when you're not buying your first house and raising kids while at the same time in your lowest earning point in your career.
View Quote

my son and all his friends have been rocking their Roths since they were 15-16 years old.
I've been contributing since I was 15, when I graduated college in 92 that was a priority.

having said that..
not one single employee of mine has ever taken me up on my offer to match in a Roth. no matter how hard I try to talk them into it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm older than most of the parents of the people featured in that article so I can't comprehend what the "young adults" are going through.  I hope it works out well for them but I'm unsure how that plays out
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:37:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billclo] [#7]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

VTI is what I’ve been throwing it in. Just $100 each month.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By billclo:

If you can throw any money into something easy and painless like VOO (Vanguard S&P 500 index fund, $1 minimum to start), you'll be off to a good start.  

My wife and I didn't start saving significantly until my mid-30s, wish we had started earlier.  But we did pay off the house before starting to invest much other than some basic CDs.

VTI is what I’ve been throwing it in. Just $100 each month.

Hey, at least you are saving something.  Good for you.  

I've been really working hard to reduce expenses, to have more to save, due to the unc  ertainty of how much we'll actually need to live decently.  We won't be eating cat food, etc, unless the .govt decides to confiscate retirement funds, etc, which I doubt they'll do, preferring to find other creative ways to screw us over.  But we want to be able to have a decent lifestyle, albeit pared back a bit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:

This might be part of it. I wish we were able to save more. Not sure how we're going to reach our retirement goals to live the retirement we want to.
View Quote

You’ll work until the day you die, that’s been the plan all along
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
For years I have run old blackberries cell phones because I could get them cheap on eBay
But now I run a used iPhone
Putting $1000 for a new phone every few years could go a long way to a IRA
Learning to fix cars and stuff keeps the money in my pockets and in my retirement program
I never carry a balance on a credit card.
Growing food. 14 chickens and a garden
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Bullshit...

The financial trouble of young Americans isn't some great responsibility "of our leaders".

Grow the fuck up.  Stop with stupid priorities.  

Skip the latest greatest most awesomest ever iPhone 13 or whatever the fuck it is.  Go to Cricket, buy a $130 android cheap phone.  It will call, text, map, surf just fine.

Skip the Starbucks double mocha latte with almond milk and a froth for $9.  Buy a $30 coffee maker and brew some  coffee.  While you're at it, how about you skip the $600 tattoo, the $100 nose piercing and the fake fucking nails and put the money into your IRA.

Got student debt problems?  Too fucking bad.  You "didn't see yourself at a state school studying engineering.  Too much math".  Instead you went to a private school, at $70,000 per year because it was close to the beach or ski hill and because it had a "free" semester abroad.  And then you opted to study sociology because it was easy.

Yeah.  Meals are expensive.  How abut you skip the Hello Fresh and the Uber Eats.  I see clowns around here who order expensive fast food, and because they are too lazy to drive to McDonald's or where ever, they may extra to have it delivered to their door step.   Go to the grocery store.  Buy some chicken, some rice and a vegetable and try cooking it. Yo can eat healthy for $3 a meal.

Got a shitty financial future?  Too.  Fucking.  Bad.    Grow up.  Your great grandfather worked in the Civilian Conservation Corp from 1932 until 1938, working 40 hour weeks digging ditches or building roads in exchange for three meals and a cot.   I'm sorry your lazy ass unproductive life doesn't give you the vacations in Iceland and the vegan organic seasonal meals you think you deserve...

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By frozenny:
Bullshit...

The financial trouble of young Americans isn't some great responsibility "of our leaders".

Skip the latest greatest most awesomest ever iPhone 13 or whatever the fuck it is.  Go to Cricket, buy a $130 android cheap phone.  It will call, text, map, surf just fine.

Skip the Starbucks double mocha latte with almond milk and a froth for $9.  Buy a $30 coffee maker and brew some  coffee.  While you're at it, how about you skip the $600 tattoo, the $100 nose piercing and the fake fucking nails and put the money into your IRA.

Got student debt problems?  Too fucking bad.  You "didn't see yourself at a state school studying engineering.  Too much math".  Instead you went to a private school, at $70,000 per year because it was close to the beach or ski hill and because it had a "free" semester abroad.  And then you opted to study sociology because it was easy.

Yeah.  Meals are expensive.  How abut you skip the Hello Fresh and the Uber Eats.  I see clowns around here who order expensive fast food, and because they are too lazy to drive to McDonald's or where ever, they may extra to have it delivered to their door step.   Go to the grocery store.  Buy some chicken, some rice and a vegetable and try cooking it. Yo can eat healthy for $3 a meal.

Got a shitty financial future?  Too.  Fucking.  Bad.    Grow up.  Your great grandfather worked in the Civilian Conservation Corp from 1932 until 1938, working 40 hour weeks digging ditches or building roads in exchange for three meals and a cot.   I'm sorry your lazy ass unproductive life doesn't give you the vacations in Iceland and the vegan organic seasonal meals you think you deserve...

View Quote

Okay boomer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Okay boomer.
View Quote

Making coffee at home saves you enough money to buy a house in todays market.  The actual numbers, which boomers don't look at, says a completely different story.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By frozenny:
Bullshit...

View Quote

Excuse me sir, im not pissing away my future for Starbucks and an iPhone, im pissing it away for motorcycle trips and a fishing boat.  We are not the same....
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ruger556boy:

Making coffee at home saves you enough money to buy a house in todays market.  The actual numbers, which boomers don't look at, says a completely different story.
View Quote

Who needs coffee when I got good ol H2O?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
Well yes and no,

they should atleast be putting 10% away in an IRA, but yes shit costs a lot more for them than the boomers
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Did the 401(k) have matching?  That might maybe get a few more to contribute to get that "free money".
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bat15:

The problem with 401k plans is that most people will contribute the bare minimum or nothing at all. I was pushing for a 401k plan at work but most of the staff and several middle managers would not contribute. Even some on the executive committee did not want to participate. That was a real shock to me. We did have a profit sharing plan and the executive committee had phantom stock.

Did the 401(k) have matching?  That might maybe get a few more to contribute to get that "free money".

The plan matched the first 3% dollar for dollar and the next 2% at $0.50 per dollar. So if they put in 5% of their pay, the company put in another 4%. If I remember correctly, that was the minimum match to avoid a top heavy test. Ultimately, the company did 3% without requiring a match. At least the employees got a 3% raise and guess how they reacted when they found out they couldn’t take it out every year?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Have young adults as a whole ever saved for retirement? I received a pension, but didn't put a dime into my 401k untill my 30's and didn't really bump it up until my 40's. It's a lot easier to save when you're not buying your first house and raising kids while at the same time in your lowest earning point in your career.
View Quote

When I was 25-35 I paid for my own education.
Worked multiple jobs while in school and after.
Never ate out.
Didn't buy any toys.
Drove junker cars.
Saved as much as I could and still couldn't afford a house at 16% rates.
Kept saving and struck a land contract deal at 11%.
Paid extra on land contract and paid off house in eight years.
Soon after that I was in a position to begin a 401k.
It was after 40 where I caught up enough to max out 401k.
Would have been better to start earlier but just didn't have the funds.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#19]
For some they could adjust their priorities.  Driving a cheap dependable vehicle versus the sports car or brodozer.  Cheap phone, cut cable and any subscriptions, make all your own meals.  Plenty of cheap fun where you can get exercise and fill the fridge, hiking and foraging, fishing and hunting.  Living below your means is a big factor, if you have a 4 bedroom house but only need 2, chances are you'll buy stuff you don't need just to fill the extra space.  When you get to middle age you will be thankful you socked away for your later years.  Invest in yourself via education (preferably low cost) and your health as well.  Eat as healthy as you can afford and exercise regularly.  Read a lot, only way to learn is from those that are smarter than you and lots of people are smarter than you in their area of expertise.

Cost of living is insane right now but it will get better, the current economy is just a bubble in search of a pin.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Worked for a couple of companies that boosted my savings via options and RSU's.  Should retire in 9 more years, move to MX, Portugal, or Uruguay, with more than enough to live out my life w/o SS if it totally fails.  House appreciation of 7 Figures in 15 years did not hurt my cause. Anyone under 40 is fucked.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By GDaawg:
Its not just some young adults. I have nothing saved for retirement. 47.  Child support for the past 16 years and bouncing from lower wage jobs took care of that one for me.
View Quote
hell yeah brother.gif
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Lol, any other thread would be going on about inflation, here it's latte's and tattoos that are the issue and certainly nothing housing or food or services.

I'd expect young adults aren't savings for their retirement yet, they probably need to progress in their careers to earn enough to save.  It took longer than I wanted to get to a savings rate I felt good about and I'm sure it's harder for people starting out today.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#23]
We need to Make America Great Again, but also there's nothing wrong so I better not here you say there is.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Cataly5t:
For some they could adjust their priorities.  Driving a cheap dependable vehicle versus the sports car or brodozer.  Cheap phone, cut cable and any subscriptions, make all your own meals.  Plenty of cheap fun where you can get exercise and fill the fridge, hiking and foraging, fishing and hunting.  Living below your means is a big factor, if you have a 4 bedroom house but only need 2, chances are you'll buy stuff you don't need just to fill the extra space.  When you get to middle age you will be thankful you socked away for your later years.  Invest in yourself via education (preferably low cost) and your health as well.  Eat as healthy as you can afford and exercise regularly.  Read a lot, only way to learn is from those that are smarter than you and lots of people are smarter than you in their area of expertise.

Cost of living is insane right now but it will get better, the current economy is just a bubble in search of a pin.
View Quote

That pin prick is going to shock a lot of boomers and Gen X as well who thought risk was a phantom.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Coffee is for boomers

Caffeine pills and vodka for working men
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Coffee is for boomers

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Most young ppl dont.  Get to your 30s and 40s..  same as every gen.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Coffee is for boomers

View All Quotes

Coffee is for boomers

Make four loko great again!?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#29]
So they learned from the boomers then.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Coffee is for boomers

View All Quotes

Coffee is for boomers

Needs more Red Bull.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By manderson1911:
So they learned from the boomers then.
View Quote
#shotsfired

based
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#32]
18-34 is a pretty broad range. 18 year old kids are just getting out of high school. 25ish and up is a different story.

I know, this is GD. Everyone here skipped over most of grade school and had their first degree by 19.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By eric496:
18-34 is a pretty broad range. 18 year old kids are just getting out of high school. 25ish and up is a different story.

I know, this is GD. Everyone here skipped over most of grade school and had their first degree by 19.
View Quote

Don’t forget, within a year they were making a half mil with said degree or they were making a quarter mil as a trade worker.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#34]
It’s kinda hard for a young adult to invest or save when

A: they are broke and are just getting by paycheck to paycheck

And

B: they don’t trust the system and figure either the government will take care of them when they are old and or the money they save and invest will be gone because of the over reaching government
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:00:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#35]
Originally Posted By cavedog:

I went this route.  My wives spent money as fast as I could make it.  

Fortunately, my pensions survived intact, and in the last five years of employment I was able to put a nice chunk in the market.  Hopefully, my daughter will inherit it for her retirement.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cavedog:

I went this route.  My wives spent money as fast as I could make it.  

Fortunately, my pensions survived intact, and in the last five years of employment I was able to put a nice chunk in the market.  Hopefully, my daughter will inherit it for her retirement.

I've been married for 5 years now (Elder millenial).

I ain't ever getting married again. It's a pain.

Originally Posted By amos-moses:

I'm doing all of the above.  Public sector pension, 457b, and investing in goods to develop the skills to turn a hobby into marketable goods.

The day after I retire I plan to get up, have my morning coffee, and go into the shop and start making furniture.

The feds are already going to take up to 50% of the little bit of social security i would have collected, thanks Windfall Elimination Provision.

We have the same idea and plan

( I just buy project cars and go in the shop to hide and listen to music and audio books and zone out)
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Don't forget, within a year they were making a half mil with said degree or they were making a quarter mil as a trade worker.
View Quote
$500k/yr with a business degree?

lol poors.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:05:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#37]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
$500k/yr with a business degree?

lol poors.
View Quote

I said within a year of being 19, they doubled it every year after for the next decade.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Don’t forget, within a year they were making a half mil with said degree or they were making a quarter mil as a trade worker.
View Quote

250k including overtime is very doable for a motivated 18yo in a trade

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#39]
These figures are nothing new. All through the last 30 years almost none of my coworkers contributed more than maybe 1% to 401k.  And during company buy outs they cashed out their 401ks. So these figures are not new. Retirement is a new phenomenon over the history of the human race. People worked, the died one day. I used to ask people why they didn't participate in 401ks. They Said they couldn't afford to. This was in the 90s. And 2000s. And 2010s. And 2020s. But they drove new cars, ate out every day.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
imagine living on only $250k/yr.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#41]

I said within a year of being 19, they doubled it every year after for the next decade.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes

He may be able to afford a family if he starts his own business at 30 and sells it for 10mil at 35
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#43]

He may be able to afford a family if he starts his own business at 30 and sells it for 10mil at 35
View Quote

Only 10? I was told it needed to be 100 or you’re a poor.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By C-ham:

I think that is fairly common. There are maybe 2 people at the office who started early. A single MGTOW and another guy who has a NP for a wife. The new hires in their 20s don't even bother. The 30 somethings are all forking out too much for kids, cars and house renos to even have an extra buck to save.

It was hard on me through my 30s being in the same boat. But managed 2-5% depending on the year amd that adds up better than 0. Now full max out and using other avenues to stretch it out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C-ham:

I think that is fairly common. There are maybe 2 people at the office who started early. A single MGTOW and another guy who has a NP for a wife. The new hires in their 20s don't even bother. The 30 somethings are all forking out too much for kids, cars and house renos to even have an extra buck to save.

It was hard on me through my 30s being in the same boat. But managed 2-5% depending on the year amd that adds up better than 0. Now full max out and using other avenues to stretch it out.

Ok now go look at cars in the parking lot newer than 5 years old. Because if you keep your car 10’years and don’t have a car payment for  5 years you can really get a nice start on a 401k. Factor in they live in probably 50% more square footage of their European counterparts, and don’t get me started on cooking cheap food.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:18:45 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#46]
"Housing and rent are super expensive, and on a completely unrelated note, young people aren't putting anything away for retirement. It's a complete mystery why!"

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:
"Housing and rent are super expensive, and on a completely unrelated note, young people aren't putting anything away for retirement. It's a complete mystery why!"

View Quote

I’ve been told that it’s no more expensive than it was years ago and we’re just lazier now. And that all our problems stem from avocado toast and Starbucks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:27:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CoconutLaCroix] [#49]

Making coffee at home saves you enough money to buy a house in today's market.  The actual numbers, which boomers don't look at, says a completely different story.
View Quote
There is some validity to younger generations throwing away money on things like DoorDash, coffee and pricey unnecessary bullshit. And those people are double-plus screwed financially.

But even the people living modestly and saving that extra $500 a month or whatever, are still screwed.

My roommate and I both make 6 figures, I spend probably $400 a month on groceries, max out my 401k and Roth IRA, and I still have no shot at affording a basic, no frills, dump of a home within my means in 2024 outside of the Midwest, the ghetto or way off in the boonies.

Both my roommate and I were some of the most patriotic, conservatives you would meet. We would have given all for this country a few years back. And now both of us give zero fucks about America after watching it rapidly get whored out to migrants and seeing every institution get infected with woke.

Our current town, 10 years ago was anywhere USA. Now, it may as well be Mumbai with all the Indians. There is no social cohesion or sense of community or common values. We're all just fellow consumers, and that's about it. The only thing that reminds you, you're in America is the fast food chains and all the soulless corporations. Every time I go to my local bazaar for food.. I mean Costco.. It reaffirms how little I care about this foreign country I'm living in now, other than thankfulness for what remains of my purchasing power before that gets flushed. I'd trade inconvenience and all the consumer bullshit for the ability to time travel back to even 15 years ago.  

If my roommate and I don't care anymore about America, then I can't imagine how the avg lukewarm American feels. I can't imagine how irate the veterans who gave so much for this country feel watching it become a foreign, broke shithole.

I'm sure there are some pockets of the US that still feel like the US, but it's only a matter of time before those places are enriched as well. I'd give anything to go back even 10 years. It's pretty damn sad when even the Obama years seem nostalgic.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
How could you save with costs like they are?

politicians are fucking us worse then they ever have.

I also think the young are waiting for UBI/Socialism.

this country is dying.
View Quote

If other people are doing it, what is your problem?  Blaming others does not solve your problems. Gain better skills, seek a better job, get a second job, or I you think you got the right stuff, start your own business. Saving $20 a paycheck to start with is better than whining. When saving $20 gets painless, double it. Learn to save.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top