Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Obo2:

his "house" is probably the smallest hurdle to overcome for living alone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PredatorWhacker:
Being alone in perpetuity should keep that sugar shack nice and roomy.

Dude isn't even alone, though. If you go check his channel he has a woman lol

Just GD trying to make themselves feel better I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m not going to lie; I’m actually alright with this.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:00:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#3]
Originally Posted By JVD:
If that's all you want from life, and you can make it happen, good for you.
View Quote

I almost lost my house 21 months ago in a fire. A house is just a box to keep your shit dry so you don’t have to worry about it while you sleep.

That fire taught me how hostage I was to my possessions, and did a lot to clear up in my mind what retirement would and could look like.

You make it sound like the guy in the video is reaching for low hanging fruit… he may have already done the suburban wage slave thing and gave it away to an ex-wife. Or gotten laid off too many times and lost houses and decided to go with a  surer thing… you never know.

He looks like he has everything he needs, and he’s happy. I’ll tip my hat to him and wish him well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By amendment:
The ladies must love that sweet shed
View Quote

Because that the most important part about Shed Life.

Upping those Trim Numbers
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 420sqft cabin deep in the woods, it's mostly off grid. Me and the wife have talked about adding 2 more and a small shop after retirement. One for her one for us one for guests.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CouncilOfDave:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PredatorWhacker:
Being alone in perpetuity should keep that sugar shack nice and roomy.

was gonna say probably someone willing to partner up with him anyway. Good for them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tac556:
Pretty sure there would be no room for me after the gun safes, ammo, spare parts, tools, and reloading stuff were put into a shed that size…

Plus all the “free” in this guy’s view means “after I paid many thousands of dollars for the solar power system, and water filtration”
View Quote

IDK on the cost of water system like what he's got but lets say thats 5k.
His solar setup I'd guess is 10k or less, maybe 5k on the low end for what he showed.
8K for his hizaus/property if thats accurate for what he claims.

IDK, he can self sustain for under 30k all in?

I mean its a shitty shack in the woods and I'm sure he pays some sort of taxes on it, and ofc food/firewood etc. But I could think of worse ways to spend 30k.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Can’t say I have no bills…. But I too have been living 87% off grid ( propane is my only outside service) for almost 5 years now. Recently paid off my 21 acre property and am in the process of ‘finishing out’ my 500 sq ft cabin.

Raise my own pork and chicken, have a garden and work a job at the local lumber yard until my sawmill starts replacing that income. It’s a definite lifestyle change but I would not go back to my previous life for anything.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:

My county just recently enacted a bunch of new rules and codes. I was talking to my neighbor that builds houses for a living. He was really praising all the new government over reach. He wasn't happy when I pointed out how it doesn't affect the Amish. Around here if you don't hook to the grid they have no hold on you.
View Quote
sounds like your neighbor is an idiot
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:04:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#10]
I'm not sure how much money you save with a cistern supplemented by hauling, and a solar+battery network vs grid.

I am quite a cheap bastard but a well split with my neighbors and a minimum current connection to the power company all in are under 100 a month including all costs (maintenance, everything).

I think you would struggle to do it for that completely off-grid once you factor in depreciation of your generation equipment, maintenance etc.  However the independence is hard to put a value on.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't be mad at living there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

I’m betting this dude will be able to afford the latest, greatest Lithium batteries after a few years of no house payments AND be able to afford a milkshake on the way home…

I’ll let you know in a year or two-I paid my house of this week!
View Quote

His solar system looks GTG, moreso than the rest of his shed by the look of it 12 panels, 8 what look to 100ah lithium bats. Looks like hes running lighting and fridge in his shack. So not much draw there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
until the batteries need replacing
View Quote

Put a little money aside each month for contingencies
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Yup. That is a cost, though LiFePO4's are supposedly good for 10k cycles, so like 25 years of constant use "in theory", and the panels are about the same, again "in theory".

Looks like he's got 8 100ah batteries. And 2-300 a pop thats not terrible ~2k maybe a bit more. His solar setup is probably equally small. So he's likely got less than 10k invested in it.
View Quote

Panels are typically Warrantied to produce 80% of their rated output at 25 years. Most companies will underrate their panels to avoid this. It’s not the cells that go bad, but the solder tracings and cell connections.

There are panels from the 1960’s and 70’s out there still producing useful amounts of power for their application. Solar is definitely one of those places you want to not listen to the internet about what does and doesn’t work….. The educated idiots out there told me not to bother with solar because it wouldn’t work up in Michigan… too many cloudy days it seems….Meh, if I have too few sunny days, I’ll just add more panels-I get them dirt cheap from people that buy them out of solar farms in Arizona…. They spend 4-5 years in the desert and then get swapped out for the tax break when better panels come out.  Seriously, a cloudy day means 1/4 the normal power generation, but if you aren’t using everything you generate anyway, it’s not a problem.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#16]
He made his choice , it should work out well for him
for awhile ,, I would take that on 100 acres any day .
TS2
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#17]

I almost lost my house 21 months ago in a fire. A box is just a box to keep your shit dry so you don’t have to worry about it while you sleep.

That fire taught me how hostage I was to my possessions, and did a lot to clear up in my mind what retirement would and could look like.

You make it sound like the guy in the video is reaching for low hanging fruit… he may have already done the suburban wage slave thing and gave it away to an ex-wife. Or gotten laid off too many times and lost houses and decided to go with a  surer thing… you never know.

He looks like he has everything he needs, and he’s happy. I’ll tip my hat to him and wish him well.
View Quote

Yup, people love shitting on others, but if dude can make it work, why be mad about it.

Not how I'd wanna live full time, but I've thought of building an off-grid cabin just like that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#18]
We use spring water at our cabin, so no well. Do have a uv and membrane filter.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Davidrw5150:
Can’t say I have no bills…. But I too have been living 87% off grid ( propane is my only outside service) for almost 5 years now. Recently paid off my 21 acre property and am in the process of ‘finishing out’ my 500 sq ft cabin.

Raise my own pork and chicken, have a garden and work a job at the local lumber yard until my sawmill starts replacing that income. It’s a definite lifestyle change but I would not go back to my previous life for anything.

View Quote

How much do you live off a month if you don't mind me asking.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Triggerstuck:

Yea, that’s gonna be about $8k a month.

https://i.postimg.cc/d3M4ZXRL/IMG-3171.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.postimg.cc/d3M4ZXRL/IMG-3171.jpg
View Quote

Great minds talk about ideas.  Small minds talk about people.

Jealousy is a horrible personality flaw, friend.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:

Put a little money aside each month for contingencies
View Quote

Plus batteries keep getting better/cheaper. Same with solar panels.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:10:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#22]

Panels are typically Warrantied to produce 80% of their rated output at 25 years. Most companies will underrate their panels to avoid this. It’s not the cells that go bad, but the solder tracings and cell connections.

There are panels from the 1960’s and 70’s out there still producing useful amounts of power for their application. Solar is definitely one of those places you want to not listen to the internet about what does and doesn’t work….. The educated idiots out there told me not to bother with solar because it wouldn’t work up in Michigan… too many cloudy days it seems….Meh, if I have too few sunny days, I’ll just add more panels-I get them dirt cheap from people that buy them out of solar farms in Arizona…. They spend 4-5 years in the desert and then get swapped out for the tax break when better panels come out.  Seriously, a cloudy day means 1/4 the normal power generation, but if you aren’t using everything you generate anyway, it’s not a problem.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with solar stuff. And yeah, as you said just add more panels is a good solution, as is buying used panels if they are in good enough shape. Dudes worst worry is mechanical damage to that (hail/wind/whatever).

ETA I love the circle jerk Arf had about the dude that bought the boat to live on a few years back, epic thread. Epic fail/fraud in the end as I recall. But everyone was enamored with living on a boat about the size of that shed. But nope dude posts a shed and everyone shits on it.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By tac556:
Pretty sure there would be no room for me after the gun safes, ammo, spare parts, tools, and reloading stuff were put into a shed that size…

Plus all the “free” in this guy’s view means “after I paid many thousands of dollars for the solar power system, and water filtration”
View Quote

Why does the solar have to be expensive? Can you equity strip your house and pay some charlatan to poke holes in your roof for $40k? Sure. His setup probably cost him between $6-8k, with the batteries being the biggest expense. I’ve got $2k in mine and he’s got double what I do at least. He’s got some serious power there if he needs it and can run a full blown house if he wanted.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By NotATF:
Im sure someone will report him for living unpermitted or something.
View Quote

There are Karens in this thread that would do it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

I have a buddy who is super overweight and literally lives in a camper, on rural land, down by a river. He brings down a surprising amount of tail. I don’t think the ladies are looking for what you think they are.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:13:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#26]

Why does the solar have to be expensive? Can you equity strip your house and pay some charlatan to poke holes in your roof for $40k? Sure. His setup probably cost him between $6-8k, with the batteries being the biggest expense. I’ve got $2k in mine and he’s got double what I do at least. He’s got some serious power there if he needs it and can run a full blown house if he wanted.
View Quote

You can go with cheaper chinese lipos. $200/ 100ah is about the lower end of the market and they work fine IME.

And I agree  he's got 6-8 in that setup at best.

Suburban solar roof people get absolutely raped IMO, and then run around in circles justifying it to themselves. Whatever "tax credit"/refund etc you get on panels is just  100% added to the contractors profit margin.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm not mad about it.   If he likes it, good on him.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#28]
As someone who has done and is doing the rural offf grid cabin thing, he’s more sane that you think. Probably has it better than 90% of GD’s paycheck to paycheck millionaires..

I’ll be retiring in mine, it’s 100% off grid. Solar, fridge, well, it’s at a point we could live there indefinitely and be comfortable-I just need to do the finish carpentry, add septic, and add more wood storage. We even have high speed internet. I was up there this weekend with a friend and had a blast.

You don’t need a suburban dream house to be happy. Stop basing your life on other people’s expectations.
View Quote

You aren’t my supervisor.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Somebody gonna tax that property, pilgrim.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

If it weren’t for grandbabies, my wife would start packing to move to the cabin tonight if she could.

Not every woman out there is a high maintenance bitch that needs to trawl the malls in a $80k SUV. Mine would love to GTFO and move up there….. I’d just have to get used to the taste of venison, she likes to shoot them and eat them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#31]
This is funny because I know a guy who got out of the army, moved home to his parents’ property, bought a manufactured single garage, added a mini split and called it home. He’s an arfcommer too. He’d bring a lot of girls back to his place so apparently the ladies didn’t mind staying overnight in his converted garage.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#32]

How much do you live off a month if you don't mind me asking.
View Quote

I make less than 40k/ yr at the local lumber yard.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FireSteel:
I guess I missed his segment on where he gets his "free" food
View Quote

Probably walks over the yard to mom and dads house.

Has no bills my aching ass... food is a bill, property taxes are a bill, home insurance is a bill, medical insurance is a bill.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:20:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vegitan] [#34]
Originally Posted By seek2:

You'd be surprised. Many (sane) women still appreciate security over style.

He didn't show the bathroom setup, that'd be the main showstopper -- if he's got a flush toilet and workingshower and they're clean,
he's probably GTG with way more women than you'd imagine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By seek2:

You'd be surprised. Many (sane) women still appreciate security over style.

He didn't show the bathroom setup, that'd be the main showstopper -- if he's got a flush toilet and workingshower and they're clean,
he's probably GTG with way more women than you'd imagine.

You can see the wood toilet seat when he first opens the door near the foot of the bed.

Doesn't have a tank above it so maybe a cassette toilet?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 80085:
This is funny because I know a guy who got out of the army, moved home to his parents' property, bought a manufactured single garage, added a mini split and called it home. He's an arfcommer too. He'd bring a lot of girls back to his place so apparently the ladies didn't mind staying overnight in his converted garage.
View Quote
pics of garage?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#36]
When I was a kid in the 1970's I thought people would be living like The Jetsons by the 2000's.  Little did I know that by 2024 the vast majority of people would be looking at a guy living in a shed with envy.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

@eagarminuteman
@The_Master_Shake
@HRoark87
@Chaingun
@Papposilenus

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Good for this guy. Hope he’s happy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#38]

IDK on the cost of water system like what he's got but lets say thats 5k.
His solar setup I'd guess is 10k or less, maybe 5k on the low end for what he showed.
8K for his hizaus/property if thats accurate for what he claims.

IDK, he can self sustain for under 30k all in?

I mean its a shitty shack in the woods and I'm sure he pays some sort of taxes on it, and ofc food/firewood etc. But I could think of worse ways to spend 30k.
View Quote

I’m on 10 acres, the land  was $30k, the cabin was $15k, solar as it is now was about $3k, woodstove is 1k used and installed, well was $13k, fridge was 1k,…… There are incidentals along the way that add up, but I doubt I have $60k in my place and I could live there year round if I walked out the door right now.

If you use my numbers and a minimal amount of land, you could probably do it for $30k. Let’s say he bought 2 acres at $6k, 8k for the building, $1k for the stove, $1k for the water tank, $6k for the solar, 1k for a fridge…. That’s $22k and a lot of room left over to make it comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Davidrw5150:

View Quote

The best revenge is living well. Don’t let the crabs pull you back in the pot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/mourning-nod-1006.gif

@eagarminuteman
@The_Master_Shake
@HRoark87
@Chaingun
@Papposilenus

View Quote

I don’t regret my choices one bit lol, gimme that shed in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Given the amount of downs the guy in the video has, that has to be Aimless
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By blindprophet501:
sounds like your neighbor is an idiot
View Quote

All comes down to the economics. When you build for a living the less a homeowner can do is better for you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By miseses:
I'm not sure how much money you save with a cistern supplemented by hauling, and a solar+battery network vs grid.

I am quite a cheap bastard but a well split with my neighbors and a minimum current connection to the power company all in are under 100 a month including all costs (maintenance, everything).

I think you would struggle to do it for that completely off-grid once you factor in depreciation of your generation equipment, maintenance etc.  However the independence is hard to put a value on.
View Quote

You don’t need a ton of power for an off grid well….

I told the well driller that I *HAD* to have a 110V well pump. They did some digging and found a unit that would pump 5gpm with a 1/2hp motor that ran on 110V. I’m not running a bed and breakfast, 3gpm will run the shit out of a shower head….. Granted, that 1/2hp (375watts in old money) ends up being 1650 watts and needs it’s own inverter by the time it goes 160 feet down into the ground and back, but it runs so seldom your solar setup barely notices it’s there.

Same for a DC fridge meant for solar… brushless DC motors that pull under 100 watts at full load..

It doesn’t take a huge amount of power to run an off grid cabin like it does a house.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Off grid.WAY off.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
until the batteries need replacing
View Quote

And everything else.  And food.  And he ages and needs medical.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't fault him.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm liking the set up.

My personal preference would be to convert an existing house for cheap or just build similar with a couple extra amenities.  We do well water in my area so the Electric and Gas are the only utilities.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Yup, people love shitting on others, but if dude can make it work, why be mad about it.

Not how I'd wanna live full time, but I've thought of building an off-grid cabin just like that.
View Quote

Don’t know if you remember, but I met you and your daughter at an ARFCOM survival camp out in 2004…..

An off-grid cabin just makes sense give our preparedness bent. I originally did it becuase I wanted it as a weekend getaway and fallback option for retirement but it turns out that it doesn’t take a hell of a lot for a cabin to start looking like a home. Winters and snow removal aren’t to my liking, but I’ll probably snow-bird anyway and spend time with my sisters that I miss very much.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By OscarD:

Where I built you don't need a permit if it's under 400 sq ft. No permit on file means I pay property tax on raw land only. Roughly $450 a year compared to paying $400 a month at my last home.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OscarD:
Originally Posted By Toasted:
No property tax bill?

Where I built you don't need a permit if it's under 400 sq ft. No permit on file means I pay property tax on raw land only. Roughly $450 a year compared to paying $400 a month at my last home.
If you wanted more space just make multiple 399 sqft detached rooms. Could get creative and build covered walkways between them  of a big covered patio/courtyard with the buildings circled around it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#50]
If my wife ever leaves me I’m buying a few acres in the middle of nowhere and living like Uncle Ted….but I’ll make sure I was water and electric….and less IED’s
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top