Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

The best revenge is living well. Don’t let the crabs pull you back in the pot.
View Quote

Not a chance….. it’s a lifestyle that most folks can’t comprehend anymore. My long term goal is to be as self sufficient as possible. I play around with odd ball skills and techniques for enabling me to cut as many ties as possible to the ‘grid’ so to speak.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

I don't regret my choices one bit lol, gimme that shed in the middle of nowhere.
View Quote
best i can do is a former billboard tarp.

Recycled Billboard Vinyl for Survival Shelters.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Some background on his estate:
Secrets About our 30 Acre Homestead #homesteading #offgrid
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
If you wanted more space just make multiple 399 sqft detached rooms. Could get creative and build covered walkways between them  of a big covered patio/courtyard with the buildings circled around it.
View Quote
taxman will catch onto your scam.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

You can go with cheaper chinese lipos. $200/ 100ah is about the lower end of the market and they work fine IME.

And I agree  he's got 6-8 in that setup at best.

Suburban solar roof people get absolutely raped IMO, and then run around in circles justifying it to themselves. Whatever "tax credit"/refund etc you get on panels is just  100% added to the contractors profit margin.

View Quote

That’s my plan.

My current battery bank are 6v golf cart batteries that are meant to get me to retirement 10 years from now., then I buy lithium batteries to get me thru retirement. My current charge controllers will report to a head unit made by the same company that incorporates a BMS to handle cell balancing, so my plan is to buy individual cells and bubba up my own series/parallel setup.

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat, I get a lot of grief about staying with a 12V battery bank even from a friend that has a solar setup, but there is a method to my madness… I pay a few percent in loss over a 24 or 48V battery bank, but the inverters for 12V batteries are MUCH, MUCH cheaper than any of those options and are pretty available. I have two inverters in my cabin, one for the well and one for everything else. On is a $2,000 Xantrex unit that I bought used off of CL, the other is a $300 unit from Harbor Freight. If the HF inverter takes a shit, I take it to any HF store and return it and if the Xantrex takes a shit I am only out $300.

The same went for holding out for a 110V well pump….. I didn’t want to spend $2k for a 220V inverter that would end up dictating the inverter voltages for the rest of the cabin and make those more expensive to replace also…. Everything is a compromise.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if he's covert or overt with gun culture.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#7]

800 square feet
160 foot deep well
Jotul wood stove/heater
Norcold 12VDC solar fridge freezer
12V 900AH battery bank
4 235w solar panels, with another 22 270w panels to install later….. but being honest, the 4 I am using meet all of my power needs except the dead of winter after too many days of clouds
Separate USA made charge controllers for each panel for ultimate redundancy
Two 2,000/4000w inverters
Propane on demand hot water-currently running on a BBQ tank, but I have two 100gal. Tanks to fill and take up
Internet is via cell tower and just as fast as home cable internet

The whole setup just works….. ESPECIALLY the solar setup. Even with the 4 panels, I can run an electric log splitter as fast as I can cycle it on an overcast day and it barely takes the top .2V off of the battery bank. The biggest power hog is the well pump, followed by the microwave, but I have never had to ration power to get thru a day or fire up a generator. Honestly, the generator is like a popcorn fart compared to what the solar panels put out, it’s almost not worth even keeping up there given that the solar setup is totally redundant… A lot of my friends and a few internet experts gave me grief when I designed the system and didn’t do things the conventional way with a solar install, but it’s 99% efficient on charge and I was planning on the system having to work for my wife if something ever happened to me.

I’m looking forward to putting a bathroom and stove in, that’s all we are really missing to make it “home”. My wife is already retired and this house is WAY nicer than the place her folks put her in college-at least I have running water, lol!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48873/IMG_3051_jpeg-3201509.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48873/_storage_6135-3133_DCIM_Camera_IMG_20150-3201515.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48873/_storage_6135-3133_DCIM_Camera_IMG_20150-3201516.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48873/_storage_6135-3133_DCIM_Camera_IMG_20150-3201518.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Pics and detailed descriptions not loading.

800 square feet
160 foot deep well
Jotul wood stove/heater
12V 900AH battery bank
4 235w solar panels, with another 22 270w panels to install later….. but being honest, the 4 I am using meet all of my power needs except the dead of winter after too many days of clouds
Propane on demand hot water-currently running on a BBQ tank, but I have two 100gal. Tanks to fill and take up

The whole setup just works….. ESPECIALLY the solar setup. Even with the 4 panels, I can run an electric log splitter as fast as I can cycle it on an overcast day and it barely takes the top .2V off of the battery bank. The biggest power hog is the well pump, followed by the microwave, but I have never had to ration power to get thru a day or fire up a generator. Honestly, the generator is like a popcorn fart compared to what the solar panels put out, it’s almost not worth even keeping up there given that the solar setup is totally redundant… A lot of my friends and a few internet experts gave me grief when I designed the system and didn’t do things the conventional way with a solar install, but it’s 99% efficient on charge and I was planning on the system having to work for my wife if something ever happened to me.

I’m looking forward to putting a bathroom and stove in, that’s all we are really missing to make it “home”. My wife is already retired and this house is WAY nicer than the place her folks put her in college-at least I have running water, lol!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48873/_storage_6135-3133_DCIM_Camera_IMG_20150-3201515.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48873/_storage_6135-3133_DCIM_Camera_IMG_20150-3201516.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48873/_storage_6135-3133_DCIM_Camera_IMG_20150-3201518.JPG

Nice!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]
As a kid, I spent four months a year living in an off-the-grid camp on an island in the St. Lawrence.  That camp had a "dining room/kitchen/living room" that consisted of one 12x12 square room.  Propane refrigerator, propane stove, Propane lights.  Bedroom was a 12x16 room, with a privacy wall.  Mom and dad on one side, brother and I in bunks of the other.  It was not a problem....

Years later I bought 73 acres with a hunt camp.  The building was a one room 12x16 'shed'.  Again, no issues....

The key to living small is to limit the crap you buy and store.  Right now I'm a single guy in a 1000 sq foot apartment.  In all seriousness I actually "live" in about 200 square feet.  Everything else is storage for all the crap I convinced myself I needed to buy.  

Living in a shed is pretty redneck.  But here's the real question...  Who is smarter?  The dude who buys a micro house he can pay for in 3 months?  Or the guy who works 30 years paying a mortgage off so he has a big house to impress people who dont really matter????

The first guy could spend 29 years fishing and hunting...  Just saying......
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Davidrw5150:

Not a chance….. it’s a lifestyle that most folks can’t comprehend anymore. My long term goal is to be as self sufficient as possible. I play around with odd ball skills and techniques for enabling me to cut as many ties as possible to the ‘grid’ so to speak.
View Quote

I can see where a lifestyle like that  would give you the time and freedom to pursue things like that… But to be honest, it’s also a lot of work-especially when you are starting out. I’m still finding I spend too much time cutting firewood compared to working on the cabin….. Of course that doesn’t compare to the amount of time I spend ENJOYING the cabin…
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#10]

That’s my plan.

My current battery bank are 6v golf cart batteries that are meant to get me to retirement 10 years from now., then I buy lithium batteries to get me thru retirement. My current charge controllers will report to a head unit made by the same company that incorporates a BMS to handle cell balancing, so my plan is to buy individual cells and bubba up my own series/parallel setup.

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat, I get a lot of grief about staying with a 12V battery bank even from a friend that has a solar setup, but there is a method to my madness… I pay a few percent in loss over a 24 or 48V battery bank, but the inverters for 12V batteries are MUCH, MUCH cheaper than any of those options and are pretty available. I have two inverters in my cabin, one for the well and one for everything else. On is a $2,000 Xantrex unit that I bought used off of CL, the other is a $300 unit from Harbor Freight. If the HF inverter takes a shit, I take it to any HF store and return it and if the Xantrex takes a shit I am only out $300.

The same went for holding out for a 110V well pump….. I didn’t want to spend $2k for a 220V inverter that would end up dictating the inverter voltages for the rest of the cabin and make those more expensive to replace also…. Everything is a compromise.
View All Quotes

You can go with cheaper chinese lipos. $200/ 100ah is about the lower end of the market and they work fine IME.

And I agree  he's got 6-8 in that setup at best.

Suburban solar roof people get absolutely raped IMO, and then run around in circles justifying it to themselves. Whatever "tax credit"/refund etc you get on panels is just  100% added to the contractors profit margin.

That’s my plan.

I have a dumb question but if you have a 110V inverter why can't you just use a 2:1 transformer if you need to run 220 to a well pump?  I applaud your ingenuity, just curious.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By HRoark87:

Nice!
View Quote

Thanks!

The Amish do build nice cabins! I had a little help from friends along the way with things like the stove hearth and soon to be HAM tower, but you just do a little every time you go up and see the place and sooner than later you take less and less to get thru a weekend until eventually you are just bringing a change of clothes and whatever adult beverages you want to enjoy.

Water though…. Water was what really made the place for us. I bought it in 2007 and until 2023 every drop of water I drank, cooked with, bathed with, or cleaned with was carted up there or obtained from a friend’s well. Having water come out of a faucet was like sorcery….. Doubly so once we got the propane on demand hot water unit and could take hot showers whenever we felt like it….for as long as we want… Really makes a difference when you spend more than a day or three up there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:01:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sabre_kc] [#12]
Oh yeah! Narrow is the path of righteousness.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By miseses:

I have a dumb question but if you have a 110V inverter why can't you just use a 2:1 transformer if you need to run 220 to a well pump?  I applaud your ingenuity, just curious.
View Quote

Don’t know enough about them, but physics says there will be electrical losses above and beyond the 1650 watts it draws now….. that’s 132 Amps in current draw on a fully charged battery bank…
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Nice!
View All Quotes

Pics and detailed descriptions not loading.

800 square feet
160 foot deep well
Jotul wood stove/heater
12V 900AH battery bank

Nice!

Yes very nice!

Mine is very similar except I skipped the well and have two 2100 gal tanks that I collect rainwater in and then use a 12v pump/ pressure tank and filtration system.

I only use 6 of my 12 100amph batteries at the moment and have 3 -200 watt and 4 -100 watt panels.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#15]

I almost lost my house 21 months ago in a fire. A house is just a box to keep your shit dry so you don’t have to worry about it while you sleep.

That fire taught me how hostage I was to my possessions, and did a lot to clear up in my mind what retirement would and could look like.

You make it sound like the guy in the video is reaching for low hanging fruit… he may have already done the suburban wage slave thing and gave it away to an ex-wife. Or gotten laid off too many times and lost houses and decided to go with a  surer thing… you never know.

He looks like he has everything he needs, and he’s happy. I’ll tip my hat to him and wish him well.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JVD:
If that's all you want from life, and you can make it happen, good for you.

I almost lost my house 21 months ago in a fire. A house is just a box to keep your shit dry so you don’t have to worry about it while you sleep.

That fire taught me how hostage I was to my possessions, and did a lot to clear up in my mind what retirement would and could look like.

You make it sound like the guy in the video is reaching for low hanging fruit… he may have already done the suburban wage slave thing and gave it away to an ex-wife. Or gotten laid off too many times and lost houses and decided to go with a  surer thing… you never know.

He looks like he has everything he needs, and he’s happy. I’ll tip my hat to him and wish him well.

I know I tend to be a sarcastic asshole a lot but I wasn't being a dick.
Some people have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that all the time they spent of stuff they could have spent living.
Stressing over keeping up with the Joneses and living with a mountain of revolving debt is no way to go through life.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Toasted:
No property tax bill?
View Quote

There's still places with no property tax you can buy but it's in Alaska.  None in the lower 48 that I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:05:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#17]

Don’t know enough about them, but physics says there will be electrical losses above and beyond the 1650 watts it draws now….. that’s 132 Amps in current draw on a fully charged battery bank…
View All Quotes

Word.  If you ever have trouble with finding another pump may be worth keeping in mind.  Transformer is a passive component, it lasts practically forever, and the efficiency is usually extremely high like 97%+.  Unlike inverter it is just a single passive part.  It will also save money on wiring to your pump, needing only half the current with double the voltage, since it is usually a long distance from the house to the well.  I would imagine the reason most well pumps are 220 are for this reason, due to saving money on wiring.  A 220 pump, of same "horsepower", shouldn't have meaningful difference in draw in your batteries than the 110, I do not think.  In either case the energy consumed by the pump ultimately is based on how much energy to elevate the water, so I think counterintuitively the size of the pump may not change very much the total battery draw-down per gallons of water consumed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#18]

I can see where a lifestyle like that  would give you the time and freedom to pursue things like that… But to be honest, it’s also a lot of work-especially when you are starting out. I’m still finding I spend too much time cutting firewood compared to working on the cabin….. Of course that doesn’t compare to the amount of time I spend ENJOYING the cabin…
View Quote

Exactly! I have so many big projects started
And even more on the back burner, that I sometimes feel overwhelmed. I had to put off two projects this spring to concentrate on finishing my cabin and my barn/ shop.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:09:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#19]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

his "house" is probably the smallest hurdle to overcome for living alone.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Obo2:
Originally Posted By PredatorWhacker:
Being alone in perpetuity should keep that sugar shack nice and roomy.

his "house" is probably the smallest hurdle to overcome for living alone.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I have 2 sheds and a cabin (12x20, 14x30, 16x30, respectively) all with solar, one hooked up other two need to be finished) on the property up in Northern Michigan a that has solar and a wood stove. Trying to drive a shallow well as every well-driller wants me to get a permit. I also have 2, 3500W gas generators but I love my solar. So quiet.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JVD:

I know I tend to be a sarcastic asshole a lot but I wasn't being a dick.
Some people have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that all the time they spent of stuff they could have spent living.
Stressing over keeping up with the Joneses and living with a mountain of revolving debt is no way to go through life.
View Quote

When I was sorting thru my contents in the house for the insurance and was pretty disgusted with myself over all of the disused and broken toys I had accumulated-I have a lot of hobbies and always told myself they were an investment for when I retire and have time, but the truth is that I could never live long enough to use it all and things change-priorities change….physical ability to do those things changes.

I haven’t used a credit card since 1997, but damn….. I still think back to all the meals I used to eat out and then shit out the next day…. And toys I would break and throw away but paid on for years…
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#22]

IDK on the cost of water system like what he's got but lets say thats 5k.
His solar setup I'd guess is 10k or less, maybe 5k on the low end for what he showed.
8K for his hizaus/property if thats accurate for what he claims.

IDK, he can self sustain for under 30k all in?

I mean its a shitty shack in the woods and I'm sure he pays some sort of taxes on it, and ofc food/firewood etc. But I could think of worse ways to spend 30k.
View Quote

Yeah but 30k isn’t 8k is it?  Guy is FOS about what he actually paid for his setup.  BS video title says all we really need to know.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
I’d do it if the wife would let me
View Quote

Lol this
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#24]

.......... but I have two 100gal. Tanks to fill and take up
View Quote

Nice, but 100 lb (20ish gallons full @ 80%) and 100 gallon (420 lbs) are two completely different animals.......me thinking 100 lb. ?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Word.  If you ever have trouble with finding another pump may be worth keeping in mind.  Transformer is a passive component, it lasts practically forever, and the efficiency is usually extremely high like 97%+.  Unlike inverter it is just a single passive part.  It will also save money on wiring to your pump, needing only half the current with double the voltage, since it is usually a long distance from the house to the well.  I would imagine the reason most well pumps are 220 are for this reason, due to saving money on wiring.
View Quote

It is good to know-and might be cheaper for the initial purchase than the 110V pump was as it was over $1k.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Is that his girlfriend or a dead body floating in the pool?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Davidrw5150:

Exactly! I have so many big projects started
And even more on the back burner, that I sometimes feel overwhelmed. I had to put off two projects this spring to concentrate on finishing my cabin and my barn/ shop.
View Quote

What part of ID? I have sisters in Boise and Homedale, will probably snowbird in Homedale if my sister has any say about it…
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By CZ75_9MM:
View Quote

Yes?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Why does the solar have to be expensive? Can you equity strip your house and pay some charlatan to poke holes in your roof for $40k? Sure. His setup probably cost him between $6-8k, with the batteries being the biggest expense. I’ve got $2k in mine and he’s got double what I do at least. He’s got some serious power there if he needs it and can run a full blown house if he wanted.
View Quote

Not arguing that wasn’t a reasonable cost, but it is a BS video where he only mentions the cost of the shed, and keeps saying “Free” when in fact he paid plenty for his power and water.  Just a typical video these days.  If he had actually spec’d out what he paid for those things it would be worthy of watching, but to call it “free” is complete BS.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 7gentex:

Nice, but 100 lb (20ish gallons full @ 80%) and 100 gallon (420 lbs) are two completely different animals.......me thinking 100 lb. ?
View Quote

Minivan Mafia don’t take no shit off of no propane tank….. you roll that fucker up to the van, open the door-gunner door, and knock it over into the van and lift the other end up and in. I’ve gotten two full 55 gallon drums of water up that way before…..
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By tac556:

Not arguing that wasn’t a reasonable cost, but it is a BS video where he only mentions the cost of the shed, and keeps saying “Free” when in fact he paid plenty for his power and water.  Just a typical video these days.  If he had actually spec’d out what he paid for those things it would be worthy of watching, but to call it “free” is complete BS.
View Quote

I figure that shed is probably half of what his $8k is made up of based on what Home Depot asks for these. I’ve considered them for a guest house when friends come up..

Who knows, he might have horse traded or really has no idea what he has in his place. Or, maybe he does and it’s click-bait. But chances are that anyone who can afford to shit out $8k for a shed can probably also afford the solar, wood stove etc.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#32]

I’m on 10 acres, the land  was $30k, the cabin was $15k, solar as it is now was about $3k, woodstove is 1k used and installed, well was $13k, fridge was 1k,…… There are incidentals along the way that add up, but I doubt I have $60k in my place and I could live there year round if I walked out the door right now.

If you use my numbers and a minimal amount of land, you could probably do it for $30k. Let’s say he bought 2 acres at $6k, 8k for the building, $1k for the stove, $1k for the water tank, $6k for the solar, 1k for a fridge…. That’s $22k and a lot of room left over to make it comfortable.
View Quote

Now this is a useful post, with informative numbers.  Unlike the original video we are discussing…

Not sure where I could find 10 acres for 30k though, might be pretty damned far in BFE.  Further than I have been looking, and I have looked pretty damned far.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
until the batteries need replacing
View Quote

Well, then you just call “homestead rescue” right?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#34]
GD approved…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Efl15:
I wonder if he's covert or overt with gun culture.
View Quote

I mean he had a deer slayer hangin over his bed...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
If you wanted more space just make multiple 399 sqft detached rooms. Could get creative and build covered walkways between them  of a big covered patio/courtyard with the buildings circled around it.
View Quote

I’ve considered it. In the end I have a 30x40 shop going up this month so that will give me all the breathing room I need. Cabin is just a place to shit, shower and sleep.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#37]

What part of ID? I have sisters in Boise and Homedale, will probably snowbird in Homedale if my sister has any say about it…
View Quote

An hour south of Couer d’Alene.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#38]

I figure that shed is probably half of what his $8k is made up of based on what Home Depot asks for these. I’ve considered them for a guest house when friends come up..

Who knows, he might have horse traded or really has no idea what he has in his place. Or, maybe he does and it’s click-bait. But chances are that anyone who can afford to shit out $8k for a shed can probably also afford the solar, wood stove etc.
View Quote

It’s click bait.  Could have been useful, but he chose to go that route, tells me all I need to know about the person.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By CZ75_9MM:
View Quote
don't kink shame ShedMan.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Inquisitive_Spaniard:
If my wife ever leaves me I’m buying a few acres in the middle of nowhere and living like Uncle Ted….but I’ll make sure I was water and electric….and less IED’s
View Quote

Less…but not zero huh?  Ha ha
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#41]
I've had many a daydream when I come across some of the larger wooden pre-built sheds around here on Marketplace and envision them built up.

Also have a friend who is building a shipping container home. Right now he's living in one container, with another for storage for all his stuff and a HUGE concrete patio between the two with a real high (like 25 foot) roof over it all. I could definitely see me living in something like that, the only thing I'd want that he doesn't have is windows to let in natural light (other than the French doors at the end of the container).
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#42]
This guy sure sounds happier than the guy whos' rent was getting in to the high three figures.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

That’s a cheap shed. T-111 siding, 2x6 loft joists on a 12 wide is too small, no headers above the windows, and no span trim on the z flashing on the gables.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Hillcountry:

Well, then you just call “homestead rescue” right?
View Quote

You guys are hilarious. Its 8 100ah batteries by the look of it, cheaper end of LiPO4's are 2-300.. So whoppie shit 1600 bucks to replace em and they should last like 25years if you believe the 10k cycle life everyone claims about em.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#45]
I just got down from trailer livin in the hills of Eastern Kentucky.

We had intermittent power, but running on our own for the most part.

I've decided to be rich instead.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#46]

Now this is a useful post, with informative numbers.  Unlike the original video we are discussing…

Not sure where I could find 10 acres for 30k though, might be pretty damned far in BFE.  Further than I have been looking, and I have looked pretty damned far.
View Quote

No idea what land values are right now in my area, but they crashed the year after I bought mine….. my neighbor paid half what I did for a functionally identical parcel. At the time, everything in northern michigan was $3k an acre didn’t matter if 80% of it was swamp or rolling hills and hardwoods. A lot of these properties were/are owned by people working in Detroit like me so when the economy took a shit and we had 33% unemployment and a similar foreclosure rate, everything was suddenly for sale for $1500 an acre.

If I could do it over, I’d look at tax sales at the county i was interested in.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Waldo0506:

That’s a cheap shed. T-111 siding, 2x6 loft joists on a 12 wide is too small, no headers above the windows, and no span trim on the z flashing on the gables.
View Quote

You don’t get a Taj Mahal for $16k let alone 8…..
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#48]

You don't need a ton of power for an off grid well .

I told the well driller that I *HAD* to have a 110V well pump. They did some digging and found a unit that would pump 5gpm with a 1/2hp motor that ran on 110V. I'm not running a bed and breakfast, 3gpm will run the shit out of a shower head .. Granted, that 1/2hp (375watts in old money) ends up being 1650 watts and needs it's own inverter by the time it goes 160 feet down into the ground and back, but it runs so seldom your solar setup barely notices it's there.

Same for a DC fridge meant for solar  brushless DC motors that pull under 100 watts at full load..

It doesn't take a huge amount of power to run an off grid cabin like it does a house.
View Quote
Even a full blown home isn't bad for running your own solar system. Under $20k after rebates is very doable.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#49]
I've got a 1400sf 3 story cabin in the woods, with a bunch of other cabins around it.

It's still on the grid
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Papposilenus:
I just got down from trailer livin in the hills of Eastern Kentucky.

We had intermittent power, but running on our own for the most part.

I've decided to be rich instead.
View Quote

Both of those are good options. The middle is what's depressing.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top