Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

You guys are hilarious. Its 8 100ah batteries by the look of it, cheaper end of LiPO4's are 2-300.. So whoppie shit 1600 bucks to replace em and they should last like 25years if you believe the 10k cycle life everyone claims about em.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hillcountry:

Well, then you just call "homestead rescue" right?

You guys are hilarious. Its 8 100ah batteries by the look of it, cheaper end of LiPO4's are 2-300.. So whoppie shit 1600 bucks to replace em and they should last like 25years if you believe the 10k cycle life everyone claims about em.
Our cabin/shed is over a mile away from the nearest connection. It isn't suburbia, there would be a substantial upfront cost to being grid tied for us. That changes the math a lot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By CouncilOfDave:

Ain't mad about it.
View Quote

Nope, not even a little bit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#3]
You understand the rest of the country isn't as fucked up as CA, right?

He also didn't say anything about not having septic.
View Quote
Just rent a back how for $400, buy a septic tank and materials for leech lines.

PVC from drain to septic tank.

Can be done pretty easily for $3-4k

And permit? Lol
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Our cabin/shed is over a mile away from the nearest connection. It isn't suburbia, there would be a substantial upfront cost to being grid tied for us. That changes the math a lot.
View Quote

The quote from the power company at my old ranch (similar situation) was almost $100K. And that was poles, they refused to quote underground.

That kind of expense would cover a very nice solar power system, and battery replacements, for decades.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#5]
News flash GD, his income is your Youtube views.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By contract:
Property tax?

= Never have no bills.
View Quote
Rent land for corn

Land is now farmland with a reduced tax rate.

Use rent to pay property tax.

Corn pays for most of my property tax on my 55 acres, plus they bush hog the rest of the property twice a year.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Papposilenus:
I just got down from trailer livin in the hills of Eastern Kentucky.

We had intermittent power, but running on our own for the most part.

I've decided to be rich instead.
View Quote
you can afford a trailer in this economy?

lucky.gif
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:

Are laws different in your state regarding living in rural land? Here in CA it's illegal to live on your own land for more than 21 days unless it has a county approved septic system installed.
View Quote

Interesting

For some reason I thought most in CA just shit on the sidewalk.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Would have been $18k for me.

And a bill for the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Freedom, he has it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By seek2:

The quote from the power company at my old ranch (similar situation) was almost $100K. And that was poles, they refused to quote underground.

That kind of expense would cover a very nice solar power system, and battery replacements, for decades.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By seek2:

That's basically what my math works out to.

LOL but battery cost.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#13]
so he quit and made this primitive camp with solar power.  but he will still need things right?  so where is that money coming from?  he certainly isnt working from home unless he wants to have (gasp) bills..  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#14]
he looks like 87% of Gee Dee save for the fact that he don't ride a mobility scooter and he don't live in mommy's basement.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#15]
$350k for a shed with utilities in golden CO.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/680-Loveland-St-Golden-CO-80401/13751012_zpid/

@denverdan
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#16]
My only question is how do you fend off all the hot 25 year old girls who must surely swarm such an establishment asking to move in daily??
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

View All Quotes

Our well quote isn't any better, at around $20k to have that drilled. I can build a really nice catchment system for much less.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Rheinmetall792:
My only question is how do you fend off all the hot 25 year old girls who must surely swarm such an establishment asking to move in daily??
View Quote
let the girls compete and select the winners.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:03:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: THOT_Vaccine] [#19]
"I have no bills" 10 year note - $500 a month

He also used salvaged solar for his solar install (look closely). He must have a bunch of free time.

Also, I'm pretty sure that tank he's using for water is intended to be buried...

-as always-
Doing things as cheaply as possible usually results in negative surprises at some point in the future
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
How are his bomb making skills?
View Quote

Getting better by the day!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Toasted:
No property tax bill?
View Quote

I think he said 200 bucks a year for the 30 acres.

Sounds a bit high to me. He should protest it.

Our 28 acres is like 35 bucks a year. (Timber exemption)

Yes I know once I put a structure on it it will go up. Well 27 acres will stay the same, and the 1 acre and home will go up, a little bit.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I love my shed based cabin but it was a lot more than $8k.  And if I had it to do over again I’d prob build the shed custom instead of starting with a standard design.  
Being off grid is awesome
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By whiskey_bravo:

Yes laws are different in other states.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By whiskey_bravo:

Are laws different in your state regarding living in rural land? Here in CA it's illegal to live on your own land for more than 21 days unless it has a county approved septic system installed.

Yes laws are different in other states.

Illegal? Lol 21 days. Lol.

Lol
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By NotATF:
Im sure someone will report him for living unpermitted or something.
View Quote

Some people need to realize that there are NO FREAKING PERMITS IN SOME PLACES!!!

Get out of the CITY. Live free from that crap.

I bought one permit(septic) almost 20 years ago.

No building , electric, plumbing permits were needed to build a 2700 square feet home.

You people and your permit crap . Jeez.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#27]

You don’t get a Taj Mahal for $16k let alone 8…..
View Quote

IDK there are some decent sized sheds/barns for like 15k. I just don't understand the legalities of living in one or turning one into a structure. Cuz I also see "tiny" homes that are the same sized running like 50-80k... Maybe thats just turnkey pricing, but like I could run electrical and a toilet/plumbing for far less I imagine. Though it would have to be inspected and up to code.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By HRoark87:

View Quote
i kinda like it.

i don't want to live in CO but i kinda like it.

if i could erect () a conex in the back for a shop and storage and then build a cahport out the side of said conex for hail i'd be set.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#29]
yeah!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Our well quote isn't any better, at around $20k to have that drilled. I can build a really nice catchment system for much less.
View Quote
Yeah, I've been thinking about collecting rainwater. Got told it would be over $20k for a well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By AeroE:

Watch the second video, there's a gray water installation.  Which leaves an outhouse for the rest.

Hmmm, I wonder if my wife would go for an outhouse with an enclosed walkway connection to the house.

She has never lived with one, but I have. Add a heater and a sink, and that will work fine.  Maybe upgrade the linoleum on the seats to something warmer.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Originally Posted By Seadra_tha_Guineapig:

yeah he did

Watched it twice and never heard "septic" mentioned.

Watch the second video, there's a gray water installation.  Which leaves an outhouse for the rest.

Hmmm, I wonder if my wife would go for an outhouse with an enclosed walkway connection to the house.

She has never lived with one, but I have. Add a heater and a sink, and that will work fine.  Maybe upgrade the linoleum on the seats to something warmer.

He mentioned composting for the black water in one of the other videos.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Even a full blown home isn't bad for running your own solar system. Under $20k after rebates is very doable.
View Quote

Yeah, I forget what the federal rebate is, but its like 7k and then most states have a few grand on top of that. So thats 10k on the table that pretty much almost all solar contractors figure out a way to "tack onto" the price of a system. If you price many systems out its like 1/3 or so for materials, you can save even more on the panels if you go for "used" or out of date panels which can be had dirt cheap. The main cost then is the inverter. And then batteries which well aren't cheap, but you can sort of start small and expand later if you get a hybrid inverter. If I were to do that, I'd just get the panels/inverter at one time, and a battery bank a few years later.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

yeah he did

Watched it twice and never heard "septic" mentioned.

My parents have a 2 seater with a 14" stained glass window. Real classy for an outhouse.
Old outhouses are grandfathered in in many counties in WI, as far as I know you can't build a new one so it makes sense to keep it. Never hurts to have just in case.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#34]
No, he didn't. He said water lines don't run that far out, so he's using a catchment system, and has no utility bill for water. That doesn't mean "no septic".

View Quote

In case you have not realized it yet but you were not responding to the right post. jackthom8 was responding TheOtherDave and not about the video posted in the OP of thread. Get your shit together!  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah, I've been thinking about collecting rainwater. Got told it would be over $20k for a well.
View All Quotes
I'm building a smaller system this year for wildlife so I don't have to haul water to refill it nearly as often, hopefully I'll learn something useful for scaling it up.

Have about 600sq ft of roof area to work with on the shed, probably overkill with 20" of avg annual rainfall, but I'm tired of hauling water.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By CTM1:

In case you have not realized it yet but you were not responding to the right post. jackthom8 was responding TheOtherDave and not about the video posted in the OP of thread. Get your shit together!  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CTM1:
No, he didn't. He said water lines don't run that far out, so he's using a catchment system, and has no utility bill for water. That doesn't mean "no septic".

Ahhh, fuck me, you're right.

@Seadra_tha_Guineapig

@jackthom8

Sincerest apologies, guys. I'm half retarded, and am working on being better.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I was the firstborn. We lived in an old garage that my Dad remodeled. When it got crowded with 3 kids, Dad built a new house. Most of the family pitched in to build it. 70 years later, Mom and my sister are still living in it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#39]

Yeah, I forget what the federal rebate is, but its like 7k and then most states have a few grand on top of that. So thats 10k on the table that pretty much almost all solar contractors figure out a way to "tack onto" the price of a system. If you price many systems out its like 1/3 or so for materials, you can save even more on the panels if you go for "used" or out of date panels which can be had dirt cheap. The main cost then is the inverter. And then batteries which well aren't cheap, but you can sort of start small and expand later if you get a hybrid inverter. If I were to do that, I'd just get the panels/inverter at one time, and a battery bank a few years later.
View Quote
The federal rebate is 30% as a tax credit. It's non-refundable, so only people who pay taxes qualify.

I have about $22k in 30kwh of batteries, 15.4kwh of panels, elevated racking, inverters and associated hardware to build it all. Just over $15k when the rebate is taken into account.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Interesting stuff. I can see one drawback though.

Several states have decided that the rain water belongs to the government. That would throw a big monkey wrench into the plans right there.

I think CO is one of the states that does this, or is about to.

LiFePo4 batteries are amazing so that's a good thing he's got going on there.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#41]
The federal rebate is 30% as a tax credit. It's non-refundable, so only people who pay taxes qualify.

I have about $22k in 30kwh of batteries, 15.4kwh of panels, elevated racking, inverters and associated hardware to build it all. Just over $15k when the rebate is taken into account.
View Quote

That DIY?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#42]

They will still be after half.

He most likely has 3 x's already.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:43:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vegitan] [#43]

View Quote

He's got a tankless toilet inside the house. You can see the wood toilet seat near the foot of the bed just as he opens the door.  The seat is on a box so maybe it's a cassette type toilet?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#44]
I like it, but he’s doing it in the laziest, shittiest way possible.

Imagine having No debt, low expenses, and a JOB which allowes you to invest $10,000 per month.    Do that for 10-12 years or so, and you’d be pretty well set.  

The way he’s doing it now, he just wants to be a welfare mooch.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:51:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Toasted:
No property tax bill?
View Quote

In Colorado we had Farmland that was $1 per acre property tax
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
until the batteries need replacing
View Quote

Mine have a 25 year warranty. As does the rest of my whole house solar. I'm 68, I'm not to worried about having to replace the batteries
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:00:54 AM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

You understand the rest of the country isn't as fucked up as CA, right?

He also didn't say anything about not having septic.

yeah he did

He'd be surprised how well 2x55 gallon drums work for a septic system
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:01:32 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

What.The.Hell. That is so fucked up
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:10:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By PoiDog:
Interesting stuff. I can see one drawback though.

Several states have decided that the rain water belongs to the government. That would throw a big monkey wrench into the plans right there.

I think CO is one of the states that does this, or is about to.

LiFePo4 batteries are amazing so that's a good thing he's got going on there.

View Quote

I've never seen a regulation against collecting rainwater that lands on a dwelling or outbuilding.

Start modifying the landscape to collect water Into ponds and your going to get attention.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:11:32 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Or maybe he has a composting toilet, they've had them around for decades
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top