User Panel

Am I the Asshole? (Page 7 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:06:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m1awolf] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zebra120:
I will be the voice of dissent....

I would make that move without a second thought. I actually like my mother in law, but he does get on my nerves on occasion. Even with that, that sort of upward housing move at basically no cost, and being able to care for family with built in child care is a no brainer.
View Quote

In this camp as well,but I see OP torpedoed that option. OP missed a great opportunity for "happy wife happy life". MIL would have been grateful to have her daughter "back home" and the grand kids as well. OP may have had to "swallow" some of that pride but that's what guys do to ensure a healthy relationship/family. OP took a dump in the punch bowl and will be regretting it. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if his wife packed up the kids and moved in with mom.

ETA caught up with OP's replies on the previous page. Good to hear the wife is staying level headed,maybe revisit the option in a few years.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:
I guess it's my turn to do one of these...

My father-in-law passed away 4 weeks ago and now my mother-in-law wants us to move in with her. My wife is onboard - I am not.

We (my wife and I are both 39) currently live in a twin (have so since 2015) and our goal is to find a single family home with some more yard space for our two girls (3 and 6) and our dog. We actually love our twin - it's easy to take care of and we have everything set up the way we want it. We also have great neighbors and the neighborhood itself is great. We still want a single family, but are perfectly content waiting until we either A.) Have more money/equity in our current home and/or B.) The right opportunity presents itself. And here lies the problem - that opportunity (in my wife and mother-in-law's mind) has now presented itself...

Her parents have always talked about us buying their house one day because they know that's our goal - a single family. And the market has been terrible for buyers so us buying their house (to them) would be a no brainer. It's a gorgeous large single family home with a big yard in an even nicer neighborhood. 3 car garage and house is completely turn-key - it's a gorgeous property. The best part is that we would have no mortgage because it would basically be gifted to us (yes, I know there are taxes involved in that process). All of that is a no-brainer, right? Well, it is to my wife and MIL.

4 weeks ago, my father-in-law passed away at 73 - he beat Leukemia with a stem-cell transplant, but it weakened him so badly that during the stem-cell recovery, an infection caused him to go down hill and he never recovered.

We're all devastated (he was a great man). And within days of his passing my MIL tells my wife she wants to sell the house, that is, unless we want to take it, provided she lives downstairs (they have a suite downstairs).

For a lot of reasons, it's a great idea - financially it's a no-brainer and we'd have a single family house in a dream neighborhood and the girls would have space, our dog, etc - we'd even have a babysitter there 24/7 for the girls.

For a long time, I thought "Yes, this will be great."

Now that it's here I've realized I cannot live in the same house as my mother-in-law - our marriage will now no longer be the two of us, but now my myself, my wife, and her mother. I don't think I REALLY thought about how that would change our family dynamic until now - when it's here and a decision needs to be made. Even with my MIL living downstairs, the dynamic that currently exists between my wife and children - it will be forever changed with her mother living in the same house.

I've always been somebody who says Yes because I want to please people and not hurt peoples feelings, but this is a hill I am willing to die on - I will not sacrifice my own happiness just to make my wife and more importantly my now widowed MIL feel better after losing my FIL.

My wife is really upset because she says I'm making her choose between her husband and her mother - I lost my cool when she said that and said, "So, who's it going to be - me or your mother?!"

What really bothers me is that this is the last thing I wanted to speak up about literally 4 weeks after her Dad died - everyone should be focusing on grieving. The problem is that her mom is pushing the shit out of this (party because I think she's super depressed and lonely and is thinking irrationally because of just losing her husband). The last thing I wanted to do is tell me wife "No" right now - just weeks after her Dad died - she has enough on her mind. But two days ago, my MIL told me wife (who told me) that we "should sell her house now because it's a good time to sell" - that's when I lost it and said (in my head) now is the time to speak up about this.

I will not (no matter how great the house is or how great it would be financially) completely alter my family dynamic and my own sanity by doing this. None of that is more important to me than my wife and kids and I refuse to change my life and our family dynamic because they think it's a good move.

Am I the asshole?

----------------------------------

UPDATE:

My wife spoke to her mother a little while ago and told her how I felt about it.

She's pissed and said the house is now off the table - she's selling and will find someplace to live. She was real short with my wife and didn't say a word when she left her house. Just said, "Fine - leave."

She was the one who forced a decision to be made less than 4 weeks after my FIL's death - I spoke up (for probably one of the few times in my life ever) and said I cannot do it - certainly not now.

But now I'm a huge asshole.

View Quote

Bolded underlined part is what sealed the deal for me stating you are an asshole.  I believe this exact statement came up in one of those women/wife leaving threads.

So you passed up on a free house!  Way to look out for your family dumbass!  Good luck living out the rest of your life in a “twin”, because from reading your post it sounds like that might be the best you are going to be able to do👍
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By m1awolf:

In this camp as well,but I see OP torpedoed that option. OP missed a great opportunity for "happy wife happy life". MIL would have been grateful to have her daughter "back home" and the grand kids as well. OP may have had to "swallow" some of that pride but that's what guys do to ensure a healthy relationship/family. OP took a dump in the punch bowl and will be regretting it. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if his wife packed up the kids and moved in with mom.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I would make that move without a second thought. I actually like my mother in law, but he does get on my nerves on occasion. Even with that, that sort of upward housing move at basically no cost, and being able to care for family with built in child care is a no brainer.

If we were in dire straits financially, I would feel a lot differently about this - it would be a Godsend and I probably wouldn't even think twice about it.

I cannot and will not live in the same house as my MIL and even more concerning is her name (and not ours) be on the house.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
Trust your gut. If you were really an asshole you would have her sign over the house and the first time she played the "I gave you the house" card evict her.
View Quote
Good point.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

All depends on how the MIL actually is, and her getting upset about being rejected shows how she'd be.

We lived out of state for years before moving up here and the MIL was constantly posting shit on FB about how much she misses her grand kids and guilting the wife.

We moved up here with her and she put us through hell for a year. I almost got arrested when she called the police on me. She tried to take over parenting our kids.

When I would go out on the porch while cooking food she would make disparaging comments about me to my wife. We let our kids ride with her to a family gathering and they told us the entire ride she was probing them about what we said about her.

We've been in our own place for several years now and you know how many times she's invited the grand kids over to stay with her? I can count them on one hand.

In fact when we go out to eat on the weekends I ask a former co-worker (CW) of mine to watch our daughter instead of the MIL. They are both around the same age but are total opposite people.

I've had the co-worker over to our house several times and they do not get along lol My mom passed over 10 years ago, and the CW was like a 2nd mom to our family. The kids love her and would rather go to her house than the MIL's.

All three of my kids have come up to us independently and said they'd rather have my CW as their grandma than the MIL.

Toughing it out and making the wife happy may very well end very badly in this situation. Her reaction to 'no' says she's not the type of person you should be living with.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#6]
My MIL moved in with my (then) wife and I and it destroyed our marriage.   It completely changes the dynamic in your home and not for the better.  You are NOT the problem.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:38:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Torf] [#7]

ETA caught up with OP's replies on the previous page. Good to hear the wife is staying level headed,maybe revisit the option in a few years.
View Quote
So "happy wife happy life" and "[guys] may have to swallow some of the pride but that's what guys do"?  Or is it, Glad the wife's level headed?

I feel sorry for those of you who would so readily gloss over the dysfunctional aspect of the situation just to keep some non-levelheaded wife happy, or worse, just to get a "free" house.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By livfreely:

Bolded underlined part is what sealed the deal for me stating you are an asshole.  I believe this exact statement came up in one of those women/wife leaving threads.

So you passed up on a free house!  Way to look out for your family dumbass!  Good luck living out the rest of your life in a "twin", because from reading your post it sounds like that might be the best you are going to be able to do
View Quote
Username does not check out.  "Free house?"  How much is that "free house" going to cost you when you may never actually end up owning it in the first place?

lol

Some of you are so simple-minded.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Free house. Deal with it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

If she wanted to gift it, there is a simple Quit Claim that is cheap, quick, and easy.  Sounds like she wanted power over you. Yet another sign you made the right call.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Originally Posted By DVCER:
MIL was being manipulative and it's not the first time.
Still, it was a deal.
This story makes me nervous w/MIL flying off the handle so fast, I'd want that house in my name from the start so she's not holding it over my head.

That's the kicker - she wants to keep the house in her name because her financial advisor said it would be better in the long run for us to inherit it when she does - that this would somehow be a better deal than us buying it and owning it.

Wouldn't that bother anyone else?

If she wanted to gift it, there is a simple Quit Claim that is cheap, quick, and easy.  Sounds like she wanted power over you. Yet another sign you made the right call.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Torf:
Username does not check out.  "Free house?"  How much is that "free house" going to cost you when you may never actually end up owning it in the first place?

lol

View Quote

I agree with you and one day you may figure out exactly who

Excuse me I should have stated to the OP to ensure his name is placed on the deed when he moved in.  Of course stating the obvious is needed so these “simple minded” people (whoever they are) could figure that out.  

As always, LIVFREELY! But just know by doing so there will be reactions to your actions
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BURN:
Without knowing how you MIl acts towards you and you wife it hard to answer.

If she stays quiet and out of your marriage you are possibly loosing out.

If she tries to be in the middle of everything then you are correct.

Plus help with the kids can be a big bonus.
View Quote

This.

Cost/benefit, it looks good on the surface. But if she’s the MIL from hell, then fuck no, I would not be living with her.

I could not put up with a MIL meddling all the damn time, that shit gets old fast.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By rb889:

This.

Cost/benefit, it looks good on the surface. But if she's the MIL from hell, then fuck no, I would not be living with her.

I could not put up with a MIL meddling all the damn time, that shit gets old fast.
View All Quotes

This.

Cost/benefit, it looks good on the surface. But if she's the MIL from hell, then fuck no, I would not be living with her.

I married the older sister of two girls.

My BIL married the younger sister.

I legit think my MIL has severe jealously over her daughters being in marriages when she was divorced and wants to have a daughter that is divorced. As I said earlier she actually offered to pay my SIL to divorce her husband.

For a long time before my SIL got married I was the target for her ire. We lived out of state so I mostly ignored it.

Then the younger daughter got married and my new BIL would be at the beck and call of the MIL not knowing any better. We'd go to family gathering's and he'd show up giving her shoulder rubs and calling her mom. Little did he know.

As I said things soured so much she legit offered a payment for her to divorce him

For those that have sane legit good MIL's I completely understand taking in a family member. You have to know 100% exactly what you're getting into.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#15]
FIL died about 3 weeks ago. Wife floated the idea about MIL staying with us for a short while. I said not just no, but fuck no. I’ll file for divorce and take the kids if it ever happens. I hate that fucking manipulative bitch.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By CJ7365:
WTF is a twin? How do you live in a mattress?
View Quote

I think he means a duplex.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I feel like I am living on a different planet than some of you.  There is no such thing as a "free house".  Arrangements like this come at a price somewhere along the way, and it wouldn't even be his house. It is in her name.  I would feel like I failed somewhere along the way if my best solution to having a better life was dependent on the generosity of my family or mother-in-law.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By InsaneRusher:
FPNI
View Quote

Anyone know WITF that means?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Torf:

lol

View Quote

I would think (or like to think) op would be smart enough to handle the paper work aspect before this went down.  If not that’s on him.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
You're in a tough spot.  Everyone is emotional, panicked, and anxious.  

I could not under any circumstances live with my MIL nor could I have her raise my kids.
View Quote

This. You are right, DO NOT LIVE with MIL or any other family members. Your wife chose you, if she insists on her mom living with her, divorce her and take the kids.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I think your being an asshole.

Giving your wife an ultimatum you or her mother 4 weeks after her dad died seems like a snowflake woke dick move.

When my MIL was dying from lung cancer, she sold her house and moved in with us and our 2 kids. We had the space, and always got along great. She never got involved with our issues. That pissed my wife off to no end, all the better for me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By paul463:
How many years do you figure MIL  has left?
View Quote

Valid question.

Sounds like she's looking after her own best interests vs. your families.

She did just loose a husband so show a little grace.

Family helping each other out might be the only way to survive what's coming next.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#24]
We’re at the point in the thread where the retards and people who don’t read start taking over
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By wsullivan:

View Quote

No idea bro, try a google search
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MrHelper:

View All Quotes

A 13’er teacheth a ‘24er

This is a glorious day for GD
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#27]

…and even more concerning is her name (and not ours) be on the house.
View Quote

Based on the update in your OP and this comment here, you have avoided a disaster by taking the stand you have. Most people would have buckled under to the pressure of keeping wife ‘happy’ and/or the possibility for great financial increase. MIL getting angry and saying “leave” says it all. She would ALWAYS maintain a position of power over you under her roof, with an unspoken/implicit threat of “leave” should things get awkward, and that would likely be pointed specifically at you alone.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Mind is kinda blown right now at the "free shit army" guys in this thread, funny they'd be the first ones to cuss out people on welfare.

Personally, I got FAR more respect for a man who makes a plan and sticks with it and actually EARNS his reward, instead of hopping like vultures on a free house when somebody dies but first being willing to put up with maybe a decade or three of kissing somebody's ass and being a miserable unhappy simp for all that time.

My wife and I own our own home outright, nobody gave us anything, we EARNED it by hard work, we made a plan and stuck though it through thick and thin, and became better people and better partners in life as a result.

OP is a MAN. And he is setting a good example for his children, to be self-sufficient and strong and do for themselves instead of expecting other people to do it for them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

He’s posting about his mother-in-law. Not yours.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#30]
How was the relationship with the MIL and FIL?  Was she the queen bee or dominate type? If so it's a matter of time before your relationship with the MIL would wrecks your marriage because when you're away the MIL and wife will always talk about you, your faults, and what the MIL wants you to do. Since the MIL was pushing it I have a feeling she needs to be the one in control.  No matter what you're the odd ball out.  If it all goes south most likely you will be the one to leave if your wife isn't strong enough to stand up to her mother.  

Then there are the children. Children will do children things which can and do annoy adults. Older/elderly people generally want peace and quite and the MIL might not be able to handle the energy of children and yours are just getting started. And get ready for your children to go outside, make friends with others in the neighborhood and be at each other's house. Nothing against children, kids will be kids.  It's just what they do.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:37:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1969iggy] [#32]
If she's a control freak, and you won't actually have rights to the house, i guess you had to go that direction.  Shame though, as that kind of equity in a house is a great boon to your financial health.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#33]
We're at the point in the thread where the retards and people who don't read start taking over
View Quote
No kidding.  I feel like nearly 100% of the you are an asshole people barely read past the words "free house" and suddenly made up the restored of the story to fit their fantasy or their own version of what their family is like.  They could not have read any of the updates.

1. OP would not have owned the home.  There was no mention of a trust.  It is left up to the whims of the MIL to tie up all those loose ends.

2.  OP's MIL is not poor or in any financial dilemma.  As he put it, she is well setup for the rest of her life.

3.  MIL did not have a great relationship with the FIL, appears to have some codependency issues with OP's wife, and has violated every reasonable expectation about a proposal of this magnitude.

4. OP's wife actually agreed with him once things hadsettled down a bit.  Doesn't sound like there is a huge problem there, other than the MIL herself.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
I mentioned this in my post:  don't buy her out, just reach an agreement and wait.

Sounds crass but with tax laws being what they are, a "crass" move can save you a lot.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:
Another tax consideration for you, OP.

If you buy the house from your MIL, your basis in it will be what you paid for it. When you go to sell it, you'll add any expenses related to the purchase and the cost of improvements to get your adjusted basis. Your adjusted basis and any costs of selling it will be subtracted from your proceeds to determine your gain. You'll pay capital gains taxes on that gain, minus the $500,000 exclusion if you meet the criteria (there may also be other factors, such as depreciation if you ever rent it or use it for a home office). If you own it less than a year, you'll have a short-term capital gain and will be taxed at your ordinary tax rate. If you don't live in it for at least two years out of the last five, you generally can't exclude the $500,000, unless there are other unforeseen circumstances which make it necessary to sell the house.

If you wait to inherit it once she passes away, your basis is the Fair Market Value on the date you inherit it and the capital gain will automatically become a long-term gain, even if you sell it the next day.
I mentioned this in my post:  don't buy her out, just reach an agreement and wait.

Sounds crass but with tax laws being what they are, a "crass" move can save you a lot.
If the MIL wasn't so pushy and nasty about the whole thing, perhaps an irrevocable trust might have been on the table.  But she was, and it doesn't sound like that was ever going to happen.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#35]
My widowed MIL had sudden major health issues and multiple surgeries at 60 years old. She consequently lost her job, and defaulted and lost her home.  She somewhat recovered, and moved in with us for about 3 years. Honestly, the woman being there did not bother me. She was able to drive, could pick up kids from school/watch the kids, cook occasionally etc. It was my wife that eventually got enough of it, and convinced the MIL to get out and get her an apartment nearby. Within 6 more years she had new major health issues, and passed suddenly.

I'm glad my kids got to spend quite a bit of time with their grandmother. They both remember her fondly.

A MIL willing to set you up with a probably paid off fantastic home in a great neighborhood? I could put up with a good bit to gain that level of financial comfort.

I would maybe insist on some 'remodeling' and maybe a separate apartment type of deal within the home with some kind rules about space/privacy.

In our home, where before the den was my primary area, I took up in the formal dining room of our home (which we never used anyway) and turned it into my 'man cave' where I did my hobbies etc. Worked out fine as I was just a few steps away from everyone, but had my semi-private area to retreat to.  I also had my shop building behind the house if I really needed to get away.

If you don't have that kind of space, then the deal might give me pause.

Only you know the relationships and type of person your MIL is.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, you're the asshole.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Mind is kinda blown right now at the "free shit army" guys in this thread, funny they'd be the first ones to cuss out people on welfare.

Personally, I got FAR more respect for a man who makes a plan and sticks with it and actually EARNS his reward, instead of hopping like vultures on a free house when somebody dies but first being willing to put up with maybe a decade or three of kissing somebody's ass and being a miserable unhappy simp for all that time.

My wife and I own our own home outright, nobody gave us anything, we EARNED it by hard work, we made a plan and stuck though it through thick and thin, and became better people and better partners in life as a result.

OP is a MAN. And he is setting a good example for his children, to be self-sufficient and strong and do for themselves instead of expecting other people to do it for them.
View Quote

This is a big part of it - people can call me a fool, but I would rather own what I have knowing I myself worked for it and my wife and I have the final say as opposed to living in a house that's not even in our name knowing that ultimately my MIL has the final say in my presence there should anything ever change.

Living with her alone is a lot, but my wife and I not owning the house? I mean, that's nuts, right?

I think eventually her mom will calm down and come to her senses because in the end, we're really the only family she has left and I've personally always treated her with nothing but respect and extreme kindness. She has always gotten to see us (most importantly, her two granddaughters) literally 2-3 times every single week of their lives.

After my FIL died we basically moved in with her for a couple weeks so she wouldn't be alone and I took care of things around the house for her while my wife and two girls kept her company. Meanwhile, my BIL and his family barely did shit - they stopped by like twice in that period and stayed for a couple hours each time. That was it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#38]
The USA is one of the only countries where family homes aren't universally multigenerational. That's tells you all you need to know about western society.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:29:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dyezak] [#39]
I guess it's my turn to do one of these...

My father-in-law passed away 4 weeks ago and now my mother-in-law wants us to move in with her. My wife is onboard - I am not.

We (my wife and I are both 39) currently live in a twin (have so since 2015) and our goal is to find a single family home with some more yard space for our two girls (3 and 6) and our dog. We actually love our twin - it's easy to take care of and we have everything set up the way we want it. We also have great neighbors and the neighborhood itself is great. We still want a single family, but are perfectly content waiting until we either A.) Have more money/equity in our current home and/or B.) The right opportunity presents itself. And here lies the problem - that opportunity (in my wife and mother-in-law's mind) has now presented itself...

Her parents have always talked about us buying their house one day because they know that's our goal - a single family. And the market has been terrible for buyers so us buying their house (to them) would be a no brainer. It's a gorgeous large single family home with a big yard in an even nicer neighborhood. 3 car garage and house is completely turn-key - it's a gorgeous property. The best part is that we would have no mortgage because it would basically be gifted to us (yes, I know there are taxes involved in that process). All of that is a no-brainer, right? Well, it is to my wife and MIL.

4 weeks ago, my father-in-law passed away at 73 - he beat Leukemia with a stem-cell transplant, but it weakened him so badly that during the stem-cell recovery, an infection caused him to go down hill and he never recovered.

We're all devastated (he was a great man). And within days of his passing my MIL tells my wife she wants to sell the house, that is, unless we want to take it, provided she lives downstairs (they have a suite downstairs).

For a lot of reasons, it's a great idea - financially it's a no-brainer and we'd have a single family house in a dream neighborhood and the girls would have space, our dog, etc - we'd even have a babysitter there 24/7 for the girls.

For a long time, I thought "Yes, this will be great."

Now that it's here I've realized I cannot live in the same house as my mother-in-law - our marriage will now no longer be the two of us, but now my myself, my wife, and her mother. I don't think I REALLY thought about how that would change our family dynamic until now - when it's here and a decision needs to be made. Even with my MIL living downstairs, the dynamic that currently exists between my wife and children - it will be forever changed with her mother living in the same house.

I've always been somebody who says Yes because I want to please people and not hurt peoples feelings, but this is a hill I am willing to die on - I will not sacrifice my own happiness just to make my wife and more importantly my now widowed MIL feel better after losing my FIL.

My wife is really upset because she says I'm making her choose between her husband and her mother - I lost my cool when she said that and said, "So, who's it going to be - me or your mother?!"

What really bothers me is that this is the last thing I wanted to speak up about literally 4 weeks after her Dad died - everyone should be focusing on grieving. The problem is that her mom is pushing the shit out of this (party because I think she's super depressed and lonely and is thinking irrationally because of just losing her husband). The last thing I wanted to do is tell me wife "No" right now - just weeks after her Dad died - she has enough on her mind. But two days ago, my MIL told me wife (who told me) that we "should sell her house now because it's a good time to sell" - that's when I lost it and said (in my head) now is the time to speak up about this.

I will not (no matter how great the house is or how great it would be financially) completely alter my family dynamic and my own sanity by doing this. None of that is more important to me than my wife and kids and I refuse to change my life and our family dynamic because they think it's a good move.

Am I the asshole?

----------------------------------

UPDATE:

My wife spoke to her mother a little while ago and told her how I felt about it.

She's pissed and said the house is now off the table - she's selling and will find someplace to live. She was real short with my wife and didn't say a word when she left her house. Just said, "Fine - leave."

She was the one who forced a decision to be made less than 4 weeks after my FIL's death - I spoke up (for probably one of the few times in my life ever) and said I cannot do it - certainly not now.

But now I'm a huge asshole.

View Quote

ChatGPT
The emotional state in this text seems to be a mix of grief, stress, frustration, and conflict. The individual is grappling with the recent loss of their father-in-law while also facing pressure to make a significant decision about moving in with their mother-in-law. There's a sense of internal conflict as they weigh the practical benefits of the proposed arrangement against their concerns about the impact it will have on their family dynamic and personal happiness. Additionally, there's frustration at feeling pressured into a decision during a time of grieving and a fear of sacrificing their own well-being for the sake of others' expectations. Overall, there's a palpable sense of emotional turmoil and a struggle to navigate complex familial relationships amidst challenging circumstances.

Is the person who is struggling to navigate this situation an asshole?

ChatGPT
It's not accurate or fair to label someone as an "asshole" based on a single description of a complex situation. From the text provided, it's clear that the individual is facing a difficult and emotionally charged decision regarding their living situation, compounded by the recent loss of a family member. They express genuine concerns about how this decision will affect their family dynamic and personal well-being.

While their frustration and conflict with their spouse and mother-in-law are evident, it's important to acknowledge the complexity of the situation and the emotions involved. Different perspectives and priorities within a family are common, especially during times of grief and major life changes.

Rather than resorting to labels like "asshole," it's more constructive to empathize with the challenges faced by all parties involved and seek understanding and compromise to navigate the situation in a way that respects everyone's needs and feelings.

ETA - Not an asshole
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:32:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Yes - a brother - he's 41 (2 years older than us). He's got a wife and two young boys.

No fucking way would he live with his mother - as much as he loves her.

What pisses me off the most about this all is that my wife and I have always spent more time with her mother - her brother barely ever makes an appearance (to the point where her mom is bothered by it). Our girls virtually live there half the week because they're there after school everyday and usually stay for dinner since I don't get home until 6. My wife is a teacher so she's done at 3 - literally 3 or 4 times a week they are over my MILs place - this was BRFORE her Dad died.

We've been extremely good to her - we see her 25x more than my own parents despite them leaving 45 mins away (MIL is only 15 mins away).

Her reacting this way (like I'm a jerk for doing this) really pisses me off.
View All Quotes

Yes - a brother - he's 41 (2 years older than us). He's got a wife and two young boys.

What pisses me off the most about this all is that my wife and I have always spent more time with her mother - her brother barely ever makes an appearance (to the point where her mom is bothered by it). Our girls virtually live there half the week because they're there after school everyday and usually stay for dinner since I don't get home until 6. My wife is a teacher so she's done at 3 - literally 3 or 4 times a week they are over my MILs place - this was BRFORE her Dad died.

We've been extremely good to her - we see her 25x more than my own parents despite them leaving 45 mins away (MIL is only 15 mins away).

This is a big part of it - people can call me a fool, but I would rather own what I have knowing I myself worked for it and my wife and I have the final say as opposed to living in a house that's not even in our name knowing that ultimately my MIL has the final say in my presence there should anything ever change.

Living with her alone is a lot, but my wife and I not owning the house? I mean, that's nuts, right?

I think eventually her mom will calm down and come to her senses because in the end, we're really the only family she has left and I've personally always treated her with nothing but respect and extreme kindness. She has always gotten to see us (most importantly, her two granddaughters) literally 2-3 times every single week of their lives.

After my FIL died we basically moved in with her for a couple weeks so she wouldn't be alone and I took care of things around the house for her while my wife and two girls kept her company. Meanwhile, my BIL and his family barely did shit - they stopped by like twice in that period and stayed for a couple hours each time. That was it.

FTR, I 100% agree with you.

But this is the part I don't get. You act like you're doing HER a favor letting her babysit your kids every day after school. It sounds like it's just as much for your advantage as it is hers. I'm sure she loves it but I would rethink how that may work in the future if she's as pissed off at you as she seems to be. She really needs to get used to being alone but I hope she doesn't stop the after school routine. It sounds like she needs it, regardless of what happens.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By GDaawg:
The USA is one of the only countries where family homes aren't universally multigenerational. That's tells you all you need to know about western society.
View Quote

Pulling a quote because this will likely be lost.

Moving in with MIL should have been a no brainer.

Thread is way longer than it needed to be.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#42]

I guess I expected that - I get it.
View Quote

#1 Anyone who makes an am I an asshole thread on arf, is in fact the asshole.

#2 Sounds shitty, but honestly if it was talked about beforehand it shouldn't be an issue, this is something everyone saw coming and you should have had a plan and been in a good place about it BEFORE it happened.

Seems like #2 didn't happen. So, now its harder. GL

PS, I don't think you're an asshole, but you likely could have avoided pain if you were proactive.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:45:46 PM EDT
[#43]
OP, my vote is you made the right choice.  I'll wager all those saying you are the asshole have never been in that situation.

The dynamics of my deal are different, and I'm 20 years older than you, but my in-laws moved in with us, for what was supposed to be a short term deal.  It's now been two years that they have been living with us, and I have been supporting them 100%.  It's starting to look like there is no end to this in sight.  Just don't do it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:53:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Boingo:

But this is the part I don't get. You act like you're doing HER a favor letting her babysit your kids every day after school. It sounds like it's just as much for your advantage as it is hers. I'm sure she loves it but I would rethink how that may work in the future if she's as pissed off at you as she seems to be. She really needs to get used to being alone but I hope she doesn't stop the after school routine. It sounds like she needs it, regardless of what happens.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Boingo:

My wife just mentioned that to me a few hours ago - that she's not sure if her mom will take the girls after school this coming week.

I would be surprised if she didn't because she loves our girls. And like you said, now more than ever she needs that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:12:43 AM EDT
[#45]
I would have done the same thing OP. And based on her reaction you made the right decision.

She probably just wanted power over you and her daughters family. And this would have been a great way for her to exert her power over you all.

Better to have full control over your fate and that of your family, than put it in the hands of some crazy old woman.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:15:26 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm widowed. Pics of MIL? She's the same age my wife would be now...

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:17:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wayfaerer320] [#47]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

#2 Sounds shitty, but honestly if it was talked about beforehand it shouldn't be an issue, this is something everyone saw coming and you should have had a plan and been in a good place about it BEFORE it happened.

PS, I don't think you're an asshole, but you likely could have avoided pain if you were proactive.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

I guess I expected that - I get it.

My one regret is that I should have been firm about "No" from the very beginning. To be fair, I never said "Yes, I'm in - let's do it." But I absolutely should have just said "no" way back when this was first floated. I regret that deeply.

Frankly, nobody expected her father to die when he did - he was actually making a slow but steady recovery and the odds were really good that he'd be fine. Then he suddenly went down hill and fast and then he was gone almost overnight it felt like. Then all of sudden it turned into "what if we moved into their house 'someday'" to "My mom wants to sell the house now that my Dad is gone and she wants to do it now - unless we want to live there - we have to decide NOW."

The only thing that was a no-brainer for me was the obvious financial benefit of no mortgage and a great house with plenty of space. But the deal-breaker is living with my MIL for potentially the next 20+ years, but even more so the fact that she wants to keep the house in her name - we would literally just be living there - not as home owners, but basically guests in HER house. At that point (when that was mentioned) I went from, "Maybe this could work - I'd be a fool not to do this" to "what the hell is this? We're not going to own the house?"

There are so many scenarios that could play out in the next 20 years in that living situation - things could be perfectly fine or things could get uncomfortable, but in the end, my MIL would have the upper hand and legal power to do whatever the hell she pleases - I can't live there knowing that.

That's all beside the fact that as much as I like her, I still can't imagine living with her. I saw how controlling she was with my FIL when he was alive and I just don't want to be around that 24/7 AND not legally own the place we're all living in - she gets the final say.

The more I type this stuff out the better I feel about saying "no" to this.

I hate that I had to upset my MIL and my wife by extension, but she pushed us into making a decision right now - none of this needed to escalate this quickly, but I start hearing, "My mom said we should sell our place now" and "My mom would own the house and pass it to us when she dies one day - we won't own it right now" - I had no choice but to speak up NOW and dig in. So many things about this that make it (in my mind) NOT a good move.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:19:22 AM EDT
[#48]
You just saved your marriage and you dont even know it yet.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

I legit think my MIL has severe jealously over her daughters being in marriages when she was divorced and wants to have a daughter that is divorced. As I said earlier she actually offered to pay my SIL to divorce her husband.

For a long time before my SIL got married I was the target for her ire. We lived out of state so I mostly ignored it.

Then the younger daughter got married and my new BIL would be at the beck and call of the MIL not knowing any better. We'd go to family gathering's and he'd show up giving her shoulder rubs and calling her mom. Little did he know.

As I said things soured so much she legit offered a payment for her to divorce him

For those that have sane legit good MIL's I completely understand taking in a family member. You have to know 100% exactly what you're getting into.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

This.

He gave her shoulder rubs and the wife was ok with that?

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By InsaneRusher:
FPNI