Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GutWrench:

Agreed. However I like dressing down when I can also. But I’m not leaving the house looking like Stan from south park.  I have more self respect than that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PlaneJane:
I couldn’t  marry a man who didn’t own a suit.  OTOH, I couldn’t marry a man who would marry a woman who didn’t own a comparable dress.  Being at ease in grown-up clothes is fundamental grown-up trait.

This whole I-gotta-be-me shit is gone too far.

Agreed. However I like dressing down when I can also. But I’m not leaving the house looking like Stan from south park.  I have more self respect than that.

Y'all do realize there are things between suit and trail park, right?

I'll be wearing a suit to my wedding. There is nothing else worth wearing a suit for. If people are going to be shallow enough to need the person they interact with to wear a suit or anything else I guess I'd dodge a bullet. Pretty big red flag.

Next time you are in a trench or machining, or wrenching on anything tell me how your suit helps. Like I said before, I work for a living. I've had days where I've gone from CAD, to receiving from a supplier to in the cart with a broken water main to the roof for AC units and back to machining and finally in the trench being a tunnel rat under the building.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Tuco22:
Never owned one, not against it just never had an occasion other than a few weddings that i ended up renting for.
Facility maintenance btw.
View Quote
Yep, I just rent them whenever I need to appease the nonsense.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a bunch. My old boss wanted us on the office every Wednesday and insisted we wore a suit.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Every man should at least have a black suit.

I have that, plus a gray jacket and a dark blue jacket, that I pair with khakis.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

Wealthy people these days consider not dressing "up" to be a flex. It symbolizes "I am too important for anyone to tell me what I should wear." Working people play the whole "suits are for uppity fucks who think they are important, I work for a living."

We've, as a society, forgotten how to dress. Subconsciously, though, people still seem to react positively to suits, despite what they may otherwise espouse.
View Quote
"A large part of society has dismissed how I think they should dress (for whatever reason)."
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
I mean, if Zelenskyyy doesn't need one for formal interviews and presidential visitations, do we really need one?
View Quote
there it is.gif
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Aside from my Class A's while in the AF, I have never owned a suit...I've always worn a sports coat and slacks. Now that I'm retired, I will continue to do so if an occasion requires to dress nicely.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

I'll be wearing a suit to my wedding. There is nothing else worth wearing a suit for. If people are going to be shallow enough to need the person they interact with to wear a suit or anything else I guess I'd dodge a bullet. Pretty big red flag.

Next time you are in a trench or machining, or wrenching on anything tell me how your suit helps. Like I said before, I work for a living. I've had days where I've gone from CAD, to receiving from a supplier to in the cart with a broken water main to the roof for AC units and back to machining and finally in the trench being a tunnel rat under the building.
View All Quotes
I couldn’t  marry a man who didn’t own a suit.  OTOH, I couldn’t marry a man who would marry a woman who didn’t own a comparable dress.  Being at ease in grown-up clothes is fundamental grown-up trait.

This whole I-gotta-be-me shit is gone too far.

Wearing a suit is rarely about other people. It's about you, and the level of respect you choose to adopt for a given occasion.

Seriously, in dozens of these threads over the years, it's the same theme. "If somebody doesn't make me wear one, I won't wear one. Of someone does say I have to wear one, they're a dick." It's a built in defense mechanism, like we are all walking around with a chip on our shoulder or some kind of collective oppositional defiance disorder.

Nobody takes the time to think, "why can't I dress like an adult, just because I am one?"

And definitely nobody is telling you to wear a suit to do manual labor. Our ancestors were often dirt poor and still managed to wear suits on Sundays and when going to meetings or events in town.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
"A large part of society has dismissed how I think they should dress (for whatever reason)."
View All Quotes

Wealthy people these days consider not dressing "up" to be a flex. It symbolizes "I am too important for anyone to tell me what I should wear." Working people play the whole "suits are for uppity fucks who think they are important, I work for a living."

We've, as a society, forgotten how to dress. Subconsciously, though, people still seem to react positively to suits, despite what they may otherwise espouse.

There we go again, I don't give two fucks how you dress. Nobody does.

But, when you do, people notice.

Your response is yet more proof that, for many of you, not wearing a suit is some sort of outward expression of some warped psychological need to defy some sort of accusation you've invented wholly in your head.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not comfortable answering this question on the internet.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#11]
As little as possible...

...as secluded as possible
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By seaskidoo:
Suits and tuxedos are fucking retarded.
View Quote

Well...there it is
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 4q2:

Different strokes for different folks . I dislike going anywhere that would require a suit . I don’t wear them . As hot as it is here , you try to wear as few layers of clothes you can . Since retiring from having to wear FRC the last 25 years of my career , I am perfectly ok with wearing shorts and T-shirt everywhere .
View Quote

I heartedly support your right to be you.  Personally, my life has largely been a struggle to not be me.  LOL.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:45:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouncilOfDave] [#14]

Wearing a suit is rarely about other people. It's about you, and the level of respect you choose to adopt for a given occasion.

Seriously, in dozens of these threads over the years, it's the same theme. "If somebody doesn't make me wear one, I won't wear one. Of someone does say I have to wear one, they're a dick." It's a built in defense mechanism, like we are all walking around with a chip on our shoulder or some kind of collective oppositional defiance disorder.

Nobody takes the time to think, "why can't I dress like an adult, just because I am one?"

And definitely nobody is telling you to wear a suit to do manual labor. Our ancestors were often dirt poor and still managed to wear suits on Sundays and when going to meetings or events in town.
View Quote
I would assume their only options were their Sunday Best, and field clothes.

Most I know who wear suits regularly do so for work or special events, but wear something in the middle for errands such as the grocery or hardware store. We're no longer dirt poor and have other options.

I don't disagree on the oppositional defiance aspect you described, that's certainly true to a large extent.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Your response is yet more proof that, for many of you, not wearing a suit is some sort of outward expression of some warped psychological need to defy some sort of accusation you've invented wholly in your head.

View Quote
You said so yourself, society has forgotten how to dress.. meaning you do seem to worry about it.

Other people recognize that suits are impractical at best, useless tradition, and a waste of time, money, and resources.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
Men look so nice in a suit but they are unpractical af. I clicked on this for ideas for our upcoming cruise. There's one night for formal dinner. There's a weight limit for luggage and my husband's suit will take up half of the weight.
View Quote
Suit of armor?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#17]

I heartedly support your right to be you.  Personally, my life has largely been a struggle to not be me.  LOL.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4q2:

Different strokes for different folks . I dislike going anywhere that would require a suit . I don’t wear them . As hot as it is here , you try to wear as few layers of clothes you can . Since retiring from having to wear FRC the last 25 years of my career , I am perfectly ok with wearing shorts and T-shirt everywhere .

.   I have found life to be a lot less complicated when you quit worrying what other people think of you . It is refreshing !
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#18]
A suit would no be optimal for tending my cattle.

If I have a wedding or funeral to go to I wear my uniform.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#19]
You said so yourself, society has forgotten how to dress.. meaning you do seem to worry about it.

Other people recognize that suits are impractical at best, useless tradition, and a waste of time, money, and resources.
View All Quotes

Please, we have people nowadays buying 400 dollar sneakers and afraid to crease them.

A suit evolved to what it is because it is eminently practical.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Please, we have people nowadays buying 400 dollar sneakers and afraid to crease them.

View Quote
We aren't talking about how impractical Jordans are, that's another can of worms.

The opinion that "society has forgotten how to dress" can only be derived with an expectation of how it should, almost always without any examination of why.

Calling suits practical from any standpoint other than fitting in with people with the same expectation is ridiculous.  Cost alone blows it out of the water.  Larping 1930 is fine, maybe it's time people quit baselessly expecting everyone else to.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#21]
We aren't talking about how impractical Jordans are, that's another can of worms.

The opinion that "society has forgotten how to dress" can only be derived with an expectation of how it should, almost always without any examination of why.

Calling suits practical from any standpoint other than fitting in with people with the same expectation is ridiculous.  Cost alone blows it out of the water.  Larping 1930 is fine, maybe it's time people quit baselessly expecting everyone else to.
View All Quotes

A modern suit is very different from the suits of the 1930s.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
....For my fellow non suit guys. What do you do for a living?
View Quote

Retired. I used to teach and do science.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By another_shooter:

Retired. I used to teach and do science.
View Quote
Oh yeah, forgot to answer that, I do science.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a suit for funerals and weddings, other than that I’m wearing shorts or jeans and a concert shirt.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't own one but my dad is on his last leg in a nursing home so figure I may need to get one soon. May just borrow one of his but not sure if they might use one of them to bury him in and don't want to limit the options.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I’ve got one I wear at work for special projects!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:41:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UTex86] [#27]
Arfcom: Modern society sucks.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Also Arfcom: hell no I don’t own a suit, I work in the trades, I own my own business, suits are gay as fuck
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#28]

It's the classic issue of rights versus obligations. Everyone wants to take, few are willing to give. Clothing is just an outwardly visible example of this. It's the epidemic of narcissism.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I own a suit but only wear it to funerals.  
I write.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I live in a resort area (Hilton Head Island) and I work from home drawing house plans. On most days I just wear a t-short and boxers or pajama pants. When I leave the house, I typically wear a golf shirt, khaki shorts, and leather sandals, though I occasionally wear boots.

I wear a shirt & tie for weddings, funerals, and court.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Understand completely. A suit is what I wear to work and functions. But otherwise I wear jeans and a nice shirt unless I’m going fishing or like you said, working on the car or something. Yeah I’m not going to suit up to go grocery shopping. But I don’t do the whole sweet pants to the store or whatever. I will at least put on a decent pair of pants, jeans and either a collared polo or unfaded tahirt or hoodie.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I've never owned a suit in my life. I'm almost 50. Work as an IT tech.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Men’s attire is evolving such that what is appropriate for a a wedding or funeral or church is not the same today as it was 20 or 40 years ago.

In the 1950-1960’s many respectable women were expected to wear gloves that covered their arms from fingertip to elbow. That was considered an appropriate accessory to go along with a modest dress and high heels of course. Any of you ladies still own those gloves?

In the American Revolution respectable gentleman wore silk tights and powdered wigs and pantaloons (pants) didn’t start to become fashionable until, I think, Monroe’s presidency.

Fashion is evolving again. Men are dropping ties from their suits and in my opinion still look plenty sharp. For weddings, funerals, or church I think it’s more important that people show up and behave in a reasonable and respectful manner. I personally want people to be comfortable and that is certainly possible while also dressing appropriately as conventions change.

I’ve also noticed that the absolutely scummiest people (as in, Washington DC) place extreme importance on appearances. It’s easy to spot and the harder someone tries to look perfect, the less I trust them.  Kind of like the neighbors who have the newest cars and biggest house but are living paycheck to paycheck, and their kids hate them and their marriage is falling apart. But hey, they look nice and Dad looks good in a suit with a precisely knotted tie so it’s all good, right? Bah-
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:04:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SamBoga] [#34]
I'm at a point where I no longer need to dress to impress, not that I'm a slob, I'm probably better dressed and in better shape than most people around here. I have no need to own a suit any more. A jacket and tie is good enough for weddings and funerals.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Cargo pants and long sleeve polyester shirt, with boonie hate all the time.
I wear a vest when needed to carry extra stuff.

I spend a lot of time outdoors, I need protection from the sun and comfort.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I went to a family member's funeral once. After the service, a few of us stopped by the nearest bar, which happened to be one of those 'country' bars in a touristy area of a city.

Apparently it was 'line dancing' night, and the place was full of people dressed up in fake cowboy shit.   I was pretty entertained by an almost steady stream of fake country people making fun of my suit.    Ironically I was probably more of a real 'cowboy' than anybody else in the place.

GD thinks that wearing a suit isn't 'manly' enough, but you should try it on occasion (even if it's just once every couple years). Of course, a suit will look better on you after you lose the extra 80 pounds.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:24:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_48] [#37]
No longer but I had to wear not only a suit but a vest with it at the place I used to work for about 40 years ago (Fortune 100 company).  If you didn't people looked at you and said what the hell is wrong with that guy?

Then we dispensed with the vests.  After that we went business casual but still had to wear a tie.  Then we had casual Fridays, still with a dress shirt but no jeans. Then the ties went away.  A few more years down the road and absolutely nobody wore a suit or a tie and everyone could wear jeans every day.  As time went on we had a few staff members, mostly women, come in wearing sweat pants.  The old bosses probably would have pitched a fit.    

I think a lot of us have witnessed an incremental and slow degradation of a lot of things in this country.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#38]
The closest I care to get is black wrangler stretch pants and a button up shirt + tie.  I also have a couple vests should the need arise.

Outside of that I wear a 511 polo shirt most of the time that has the company logo on it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I may need to replace pants or jacket (or both) on my black suit.  It's a special occasion only item. It's pretty much weddings and funerals these days.  Although I'm not at all slim, properly fitted, a good suit can make practically anyone look good.  Some places or churches, folks dress for church.  I won't wear it to church because I'd be that old guy in the suit.  Looking like a fat, bearded James Bond...
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:
I own a couple businesses and I don't own a suit.  Hell I don't wear dress clothes. I signed the biggest deal of life wearing a t shirt, Dickies, and a pair of chucks.  

Don't want to work with me because of my comfortable attire? Fuck off, somebody else will gladly work with me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433200/1000005750_jpg-3206242.JPG
View Quote

Your shirt has a collar so you look dressed up to me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#41]
InfoSec for a Fortune 500 company. No suit, if I go to the office I’ll wear jeans, cowboy boots and a button up plaid or flannel shirt. Meeting with C level folks?  Same thing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:26:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Sign the check of a bunch of suckers who wear suits…and a couple hundred blue collar employees.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#43]
HVAC.

I haven’t had a suit in 30 years.

Still have my class A uniform, but no way I could fit in it.  A weighed 160 back then. 205 now.

I wear a collared shirt to church every Sunday.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By BUCKSTALKER:
Threads like this make me weep for my country

None of y'all have the need to own a suit? A wedding? A funeral? An interview for your next 7 figure job? Nothing?!?!??!

This place is filled with milionaires that don't own suits
View Quote

It literally is.  

If it helps, I wear a Suit/Uniform at work, and I also bought a suit coat at the thrift store which matches my uniform pants, sooo…gtg for weddings and funerals.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#45]
IT:  Jeans and a Polo.  Or any decent shirt.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#46]

Exactly correct.    Traditional Conservatism is dead, dead, dead.  

It’s the same thing with the proliferation of Tattoos, piercings and the enabling of Whorish behavior. (And practice of it).  

Anything reminiscent of Western Tradition, is despised.    Personally, I suspect it’s because the Media has made people subconsciously ashamed of being white.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#47]
I was a machinist.

I had to dress up as a kid for religious indoctrination, never again.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 1982fxr:
Men’s attire is evolving such that what is appropriate for a a wedding or funeral or church is not the same today as it was 20 or 40 years ago.

In the 1950-1960’s many respectable women were expected to wear gloves that covered their arms from fingertip to elbow. That was considered an appropriate accessory to go along with a modest dress and high heels of course. Any of you ladies still own those gloves?

In the American Revolution respectable gentleman wore silk tights and powdered wigs and pantaloons (pants) didn’t start to become fashionable until, I think, Monroe’s presidency.

Fashion is evolving again. Men are dropping ties from their suits and in my opinion still look plenty sharp. For weddings, funerals, or church I think it’s more important that people show up and behave in a reasonable and respectful manner. I personally want people to be comfortable and that is certainly possible while also dressing appropriately as conventions change.

I’ve also noticed that the absolutely scummiest people (as in, Washington DC) place extreme importance on appearances. It’s easy to spot and the harder someone tries to look perfect, the less I trust them.  Kind of like the neighbors who have the newest cars and biggest house but are living paycheck to paycheck, and their kids hate them and their marriage is falling apart. But hey, they look nice and Dad looks good in a suit with a precisely knotted tie so it’s all good, right? Bah-
View Quote

Gay guys and women are the only people who wear a suit without a tie.
- just so you know.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#49]
I’ll never wear a suit.  
There’s no reason for me to dress like a monkey for anyone.
A suit I carries symbolic connotations  for me.
I wear scrubs at work.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Low voltage
Page / 6
Top Top