Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Jobs just wore a turtle neck mostly too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#2]
No Pants Fridays are the best
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By PlaneJane:

I heartedly support your right to be you.  Personally, my life has largely been a struggle to not be me.  LOL.
View Quote

Are you ashamed of who you are?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Best suit I ever wore.... Also the most expensive when you added all the bling that went with it.

Now retired.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I own a suit.  For weddings/graduations/funerals/etc.  I couldn’t imagine going to those in anything less.  I’d be out of place if I did.  Guess I’m just old fashioned.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Gay guys and women are the only people who wear a suit without a tie.
- just so you know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1982fxr:
Men’s attire is evolving such that what is appropriate for a a wedding or funeral or church is not the same today as it was 20 or 40 years ago.

In the 1950-1960’s many respectable women were expected to wear gloves that covered their arms from fingertip to elbow. That was considered an appropriate accessory to go along with a modest dress and high heels of course. Any of you ladies still own those gloves?

In the American Revolution respectable gentleman wore silk tights and powdered wigs and pantaloons (pants) didn’t start to become fashionable until, I think, Monroe’s presidency.

Fashion is evolving again. Men are dropping ties from their suits and in my opinion still look plenty sharp. For weddings, funerals, or church I think it’s more important that people show up and behave in a reasonable and respectful manner. I personally want people to be comfortable and that is certainly possible while also dressing appropriately as conventions change.

I’ve also noticed that the absolutely scummiest people (as in, Washington DC) place extreme importance on appearances. It’s easy to spot and the harder someone tries to look perfect, the less I trust them.  Kind of like the neighbors who have the newest cars and biggest house but are living paycheck to paycheck, and their kids hate them and their marriage is falling apart. But hey, they look nice and Dad looks good in a suit with a precisely knotted tie so it’s all good, right? Bah-

- just so you know.

Where do you people get this shit?

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I own a small rep firm, we sell into the automation industry.

It used to be pretty formal....suit and tie. Then it changed to dress pants and collared shirt, khakis and a polo, and after covid it is pretty much jeans and a decent shirt.

I keep 2 good suits on hand, and a couple casual sport coats that can go with pants or jeans. I probably only wear a suit or sport coat 5 times a year.

Get a couple quality suits that aren't trendy, they will last you  awhile. Key here....buy classic styles, not trendy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#8]
When I first started at one company they were business formal all the time.  I had to wear a suit in the office or something like a suit.  They relaxed that in the mid-2000s.  When I wasn't in the office it was on construction sites which was anything but suits.  Most of my work has been in industrial facilities so suits are something you wear to weddings (maybe) and funerals.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Exactly correct.    Traditional Conservatism is dead, dead, dead.  

It’s the same thing with the proliferation of Tattoos, piercings and the enabling of Whorish behavior. (And practice of it).  

Anything reminiscent of Western Tradition, is despised.    Personally, I suspect it’s because the Media has made people subconsciously ashamed of being white.
View All Quotes

It’s the same thing with the proliferation of Tattoos, piercings and the enabling of Whorish behavior. (And practice of it).  

Anything reminiscent of Western Tradition, is despised.    Personally, I suspect it’s because the Media has made people subconsciously ashamed of being white.

none of those guys appear to be getting home from a long day of digging ditch
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

View All Quotes

Even country farmers, butchers, bakers and brick layers dressed up for weddings and funerals.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:
Originally Posted By 1982fxr:
Men’s attire is evolving such that what is appropriate for a a wedding or funeral or church is not the same today as it was 20 or 40 years ago.

In the 1950-1960’s many respectable women were expected to wear gloves that covered their arms from fingertip to elbow. That was considered an appropriate accessory to go along with a modest dress and high heels of course. Any of you ladies still own those gloves?

In the American Revolution respectable gentleman wore silk tights and powdered wigs and pantaloons (pants) didn’t start to become fashionable until, I think, Monroe’s presidency.

Fashion is evolving again. Men are dropping ties from their suits and in my opinion still look plenty sharp. For weddings, funerals, or church I think it’s more important that people show up and behave in a reasonable and respectful manner. I personally want people to be comfortable and that is certainly possible while also dressing appropriately as conventions change.

I’ve also noticed that the absolutely scummiest people (as in, Washington DC) place extreme importance on appearances. It’s easy to spot and the harder someone tries to look perfect, the less I trust them.  Kind of like the neighbors who have the newest cars and biggest house but are living paycheck to paycheck, and their kids hate them and their marriage is falling apart. But hey, they look nice and Dad looks good in a suit with a precisely knotted tie so it’s all good, right? Bah-

- just so you know.

Don't know.  I see getting to wear a suit as a break from the ordinary and mundane - taking my wife out to a really nice restaurant, theater/symphony, social events, etc. She likes to get dressed up to do these events, so I do too. It's something worth doing at least every once in a while. I don't get people that make it a point of pride that they went to a wedding in a t-shirt and jeans, and they won't understand why I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#12]

There’s 0 way I could wear one everyday. But formal events are a real thing. I just spent an absurd amount of money, to me, on a new suit coat, shirt, pants and tie. As I have an extremely formal business meeting in a few days.  So custom made suit coat.  This is my third.  It will stay nice.

I probably wear a sport coat / suit coat 10-15 times a year.

I hate it. But it’s the reality of business sometimes.  As well, a nice sport coat and jeans is a great way to skirt that formal line.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

My grandfather work his life in a steel mill and was in the Korean War.  Passed away last year. He still wore a suit when he wasn’t at work.  

Yeah the times have changed a lot.  Things are certainly more casual which is fine. My industry doesn’t really use suits / sport coats on the day to day. But there are nice places and things where it’s needed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:34:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TexCorriente] [#14]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Every man should own at least one decent quality and well fitted suit. That being said, I maybe wear a suit once per year.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:46:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#16]
Originally Posted By TexCorriente:
I have three suits that fit and look good, but one blue windowpane that I particularly like. Also a tux.

For weddings,  graduations etc it is a nice change of pace to look put together and sharp. And I enjoy a good tie with a competent knot. It may be overdressed and even out of style for the norm these days, but not long ago a vest and tie was expected for anything short of a coal miners and field laborers. I've seen photos of my great great (immigrant) grandfather plowing fields in a vest and tie.
Better times I'd say.

I've never regretted being the relatively best dressed guy at a wedding; my wife's extended family shows up to weddings in flip flops, cargo shorts and untucked shirts half the time. People recognize and sometimes appreciate somebody making an effort

My dad still ropes, brands and builds fence in a starched button down.

In my circles, slacks with a button down have completely disappeared in favor of polos, starched jeans and clean boots for day to day.
View Quote

I can't help but wonder what the venn diagram in attitudes expressed in threads like this would show relative to, say, threads about shoes in a house.

The latter usually breaks down to the "it's rude for a hose to tell me what is appropriate" versus the "it's rude as a guest not to adapt to the preferences of the host" crowds.

I think the same psychology is at play here. You have those who want to put the effort into showing an occasion or event is not just a run-of-the-mill trip to the grocery store, and those who trend toward full Cartman.

As I noted earlier, it's fundamentally the gap of "do I see my role in society as that of taking or of giving, as one of demanding rights or one of accepting obligations? Clothing is but an outward expression of an underlying mentality.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Never had the need to own one. If I can't go casual, I don't go.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#18]
NoT wAAAring ssUit iS PsYcHolOgicly BRick DoWn of WeStern Civv.....

Some of you will make up anything.  It's because suits are stupid and impractical, just like cowboy boots.  Really simple stuff for most people.

Nobody told any of you not to larp your suit.  The clothes people wear are their business, not mine or yours.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I work in warehousing, I wear shorts and a t-shirt to work year round, unless temps hit single digits or less.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:12:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PlaneJane] [#20]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PlaneJane:

I heartedly support your right to be you.  Personally, my life has largely been a struggle to not be me.  LOL.

Not in the least.

But a sense of humor that has most charitably been characterized as “unfortunate”, and a childlike belief that the world should be a fair place has resulted in a life rather more contentious than it might otherwise have been.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I haven't worn a pair of long pants in over 3 years.
Shorts and flip flops only.
I do wear a shirt with a collar as I need the pockets.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm retired, but there was a time where I wore suits frequently. Never minded at all. A good suit is just another type of uniform. Get it fitted properly, conservative styling, with good accessories. My suits went to Goodwill a few years back, but there are two blue blazers in my closet. All I need now for a dinner or other occasion.

You wear a suit for you, not because you have to.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I haven't had a suit since I started buying my own clothes. I wear a shirt with a collar for church and what not. I own a tie but I don't know where it's at. I'm firmly in the t shirt and jeans category daily.

I've always worked blue collar and trades jobs so it's not an issue.
A coworker of mine went back to school later in life. One of the big plusses for him was his new path in life was going to require him to dress up for work.

For my fellow non suit guys. What do you do for a living?
View Quote

I own a suit, but I hate wearing it. Feel like a jackass. "But CastleBravo, you look so handsome and sharp when you're dressed up!" Shut the fuck up! No I don't! Makes me very uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#24]
I like to feel good, looking good. Not to mention chicks dig it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Used to work in higher Ed. Wore a suit daily. Had 5. I liked it. Never felt underdressed for anything. I’m a fucking hobo IT director in K-12 now.

Kinda hate it but it’s so easy and I do get dirty doing installs and repairs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:30:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TexCorriente] [#26]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#27]
A big reason we live in a crass callous culture of moral degenerates is tied to how we present ourselves in public.  We look like bums and act like bums.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Amazing to me that people can go essentially their entire adult lives and never wear a suit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I no longer own suits but I do keep a nice Duluth Trading sports coat for formal occasions.  Goes well with a nice shirt, tie, slacks, and of course a decent pair of shoes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I had a job in advertising as a "creative" and we still had to wear shirt and tie every day.

Haven't worn a tie since I left to do my own thing. When I want to dress up I wear 5.11 slacks and a polo.

Suits are stupid. Fashion is stupid. Go a little deeper, it's all about identity. Fashion is bumper stickers for your body. It's all so tiresome.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I haven't had a suit since I started buying my own clothes. I wear a shirt with a collar for church and what not. I own a tie but I don't know where it's at. I'm firmly in the t shirt and jeans category daily.

I've always worked blue collar and trades jobs so it's not an issue.
A coworker of mine went back to school later in life. One of the big plusses for him was his new path in life was going to require him to dress up for work.

For my fellow non suit guys. What do you do for a living?
View Quote

Car mechanic. Plus side, I don't wear any jewelry, even my wedding band. Fun fact, I'm a little ugly so I never have women hit on me even without the band.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#32]
I’ve got 2.  One for weddings & one for funerals.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Network_Daddy:
A big reason we live in a crass callous culture of moral degenerates is tied to how we present ourselves in public.  We look like bums and act like bums.
View Quote
Has nothing to do with suits.  Half the country is raised looking up to and worshipping criminals.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I own a nice suit.

I have worn it once.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By GutWrench:
View Quote

Sharp Dressed Man (2008 Remaster)

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By GutWrench:
View Quote

They do. Random girls will look at me and smile. Still does not change the fact I feel uncomfortable. Most dressed up I like to get is my nicer pair of jeans, tucked in button up shirt with collar, and a tie.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:48:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Undaunted] [#37]
Lawyer here.

I quit wearing suits years ago, the moment I quit accepting litigation.

I see clients in blue jeans, cowboy boots and a sports coat. They prefer it that way, to be honest.

I still own a closet full of suits, but they only come out if an occasion is a must.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Retired. Two suits, a couple of blazers/sports jackets and at least a dozen ties. I also have my AF mess dress uniform, the mil equivalent of a tux, that still fits perfectly 12 years later. A blazer and slacks covers most of the social stuff we do now, but I have a hard time imagining showing up to a funeral or a friends wedding dressed down, unless it's a theme wedding.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By adversor:
I had a job in advertising as a "creative" and we still had to wear shirt and tie every day.

Haven't worn a tie since I left to do my own thing. When I want to dress up I wear 5.11 slacks and a polo.

Suits are stupid. Fashion is stupid. Go a little deeper, it's all about identity. Fashion is bumper stickers for your body. It's all so tiresome.
View Quote

No, it is not about my "identity". It is about self control self respect and the respect for others around you.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Veterinarian. No suit for me. I do own 2 but hardly ever wear them, just if we are invited to a wedding etc.
Hell, I don't even wear a white labcoat because it scared the patients.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:10:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rheinmetall792] [#41]
I used to attend networking events all the time (once a month or more)...I've got 5 suits, although one of them may no longer fit....

Two are custom tailored. ABSOLUTELY worth it to have this done.

Post Chi-na Flu, in person networking is not as important as it once was, so it's mostly back to weddings and funerals only.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:14:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Windustsearch] [#42]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:

No, it is not about my "identity". It is about self control self respect and the respect for others around you.
View Quote
Tell ya what, if the others around me are all that worried about what I am wearing instead of themselves, then the respect goes down.

Not gonna bitch and make a scene, if they think it's that important I'll just go rent a crook uniform and think it's a stupid waste in private.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:21:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bogdan] [#43]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
Tell ya what, if the others around me are all that worried about what I am wearing instead of themselves, then the respect goes down.

Not gonna bitch and make a scene, if they think it's that important I'll just go rent a crook uniform and think it's a stupid waste in private.
View Quote

Some places have dress codes, other places it is a matter of respect, dont show up to a funeral in tennis shoes and jeans.
I go out to nice places with my wife, she puts shitload of effort into her appearance the least I can do is reciprocate.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Operations Manager in the Transportation industry here. I'll likely never need to wear a suit for work, but I have a black one (probably 15 years old and worn maybe a dozen times). I wear it primarily for Funerals but it's been handy for weddings and the rare swanky occasion. It's nice to have on hand for unexpected events where there isn't time or convenience to grab a rental. I've been lucky that my size hasn't changed drastically over the years.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#45]
I have several fairly expensive suits.  
They're wind- and water-resistant, and sold as "snowmobile gear".  

yes, that's my job
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#46]
I don't own one anymore, but I have a suit jacket and a sport jacket.

My biggest gripe with "dress up" clothing is that it's wears like it was designed by robots who have the approximate dimensions of humans and a little insight into how we're rigged at the joints and not by actual people who've had to wear actual clothing before.  It's uncomfortable, impractical, fragile, difficult to maintain, expensive, with low utilization, and for me comes with an otherwise non-existent dose of constant sense of anxiety about how I currently look: is my shirt coming untucked? Is my tie too loose? Is the collar of this shirt blousing my beard out ridiculously? Did the ass just split in my slacks because I bent more than 4 degrees?

Who would buy a car like that?  A vast minority of people that are universally disliked by everyone else.

Fuck all that.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Fuck your city boy suits. If starched jeans and a sport coat is not good enough, I’m out. Then again, I don’t typically associate with the suit wearing types and last time I hopped into one of these threads it blew a sizable chunk of yall’s minds that most of the weddings I’ve been to had the groom wearing starched jeans, a button up western shirt, vest, and maybe a coat.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Raider14:
Fuck your city boy suits. If starched jeans and a sport coat is not good enough, I’m out. Then again, I don’t typically associate with the suit wearing types and last time I hopped into one of these threads it blew a sizable chunk of yall’s minds that most of the weddings I’ve been to had the groom wearing starched jeans, a button up western shirt, vest, and maybe a coat.
View Quote

Why so angry? Cowboy chic is so in right now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Raider14:
View Quote

Our minds are blown.

Or, maybe the term "city boy" and the references to starched jeans says a lot more about what's going on here than other's assertions of "practicality" and what not.

There's a reason the Mao suit became a thing - an outward expression of proletariat values and stigmatization of those of the supposed bourgeoisie. At least we haven't gone full Pol Pot yet, but it's easy to sense the undercurrent and the raw emotion.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Business Analyst working in software development.

My only suit is sitting in the clothing donation pile. I wore it once in the past seven years (job interview) and it is both out of style and too large for me. I don't plan on replacing it.
Page / 6
Top Top