Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Kevin Costner is glad he had one and it held up to legal challenges from his now ex-wife.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#2]
People don’t realize that every marriage has a pre-nup. Either the one you make between you or the one placed on you by the courts/government.

It’s just like death and going through probate. I other probate is to enforce what is in the will, or to follow the governments/court wishes for how to distribute assets.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:45:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Phil_Billy] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By flyhack72:
If the woman wouldn't sign 6mo from the wedding date, why would one proceed with planning, expecting it to be signed on the wedding day?

View Quote

That's what got me too. You would think he would marry someone on his same social / economical status. It might be a small pool but he has much better chances of the marriage working with an "equal" partner.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:52:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By xd675:
We really need a discussion that focuses on the 20 to 80% of young men and women on how to vet for viable spouses, what family laws need to change, etc.

View Quote

Hypergamy is a thing, no matters how hard feminists, tradcons and blue pill males deny it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:03:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Sir_Sparhawk:
Prenups don't mean shit. Judges regularly ignore them and hand the woman everything that she wants regardless. Even when she's a cheating whore who doesn't deserve anything.
View Quote

It's changed in the last ten years, as most States have signed onto a common Prenup regulatory regime.  A well-prepared prenup is now effectively undefeatable in court (the "disadvantaged" party would have to prove duress/involuntary agreement, unconscionability, or the like....and that's a tall order).  If you've hired an idiot for a lawyer, and the prenup is poorly-written, then it can be legally attacked...or if you've included anything related to the children (the Court decides that stuff, with an eye towards the children's "best interests" and will ignore any prenup agreement on custody, religion/upbringing, etc).
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:13:17 AM EDT
[#6]
He doesnt sound like a high value man
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:29:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Prenups don't mean shit. Judges regularly ignore them and hand the woman everything that she wants regardless. Even when she's a cheating whore who doesn't deserve anything.
View Quote

Interesting.

Same was told to me about proof of infidelity. A lawyer, here in AL,  told me this. He said you could have video of her riding another cowboy and she can still get half.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:20:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#8]
I'm not a lawyer but it was my understanding prenuptial agreements signed in such close proximity to the wedding get thrown out as it would be under duress.

You have money invested and all your close family and friends heading to the ceremony. Making a woman sign a prenuptial then and there seems like it would meet the criteria

Idk maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in but  I had heard that one one of the random rage bait podcasts

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:47:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Strela] [#9]
Tell us you didn't watch or listen to the video without telling us you didn't watch the vid.

'It's obvious she planned that she thought she could sucker him into the marriage without signing it.

- Continuous reminders
- She got him to use her preacher instead of his
- Preacher comes to him and spends 5-10 minutes to try to convince him to marry anyways without the prenup
- In that conversation mentioned preacher says he doesn't believe in prenups
- Dude said at the party afterwards the fiancée's main squeeze was there at the after party'

First of all, I wish we could retire this hackneyed phrase and its variants.

Obviously she planned it. I don't know how smart her intended target was, but with his money I'd think he has a lawyer (lawyers) to advise him. He thought she would have a change of heart on the big day?

By "dick move" I wasn't referring to his treatment of her. I was referring to all of the other people that get involved in weddings, especially friends and family.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:10:27 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Seen this before. I advise not getting married.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:16:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#11]
Originally Posted By Flysc:
Interesting.
Same was told to me about proof of infidelity. A lawyer, here in AL,  told me this. He said you could have video of her riding another cowboy and she can still get half.
View Quote

I knew a guy who was married to a divorce lawyer and she said the same thing. A few years later the same female lawyer cheated on the guy, divorced him, and got his house and half of his pension.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By xylo:
A High Value Man is defined, first off as a High Net Worth man. Sorry some of you are broke.
View Quote

According to Kevin, I’m shocked that it’s only $10K a month.
What Is A High Value Man? High Value Men Defined ©
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By saigamanTX:
Basically he came to her with a prenup 6 months or more before the wedding.  She delayed till the day of the wedding and still hadn't signed.  The guy said he wouldn't get married then. His fiancees preacher even told him to forget about it.

Part of her family came to him and said she wanted to talk and then she put on a sob story saying she'd sign which he didn't fall for as in some states that can be considered duress and the prenup thrown out.

Basically he was worried she was a gold digger and he was right.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By saigamanTX:
Originally Posted By RRA_223:
Meh.   It's for the best.

I'm not watching what looks like a reality TV clip, but if he needs a prenup and she won't sign one, it wasn't going to work out either way.

Pretty much starting the relationship off with mistrust on both sides, which is the opposite of a healthy marriage.

Thankfully they're both able to keep looking.
Basically he came to her with a prenup 6 months or more before the wedding.  She delayed till the day of the wedding and still hadn't signed.  The guy said he wouldn't get married then. His fiancees preacher even told him to forget about it.

Part of her family came to him and said she wanted to talk and then she put on a sob story saying she'd sign which he didn't fall for as in some states that can be considered duress and the prenup thrown out.

Basically he was worried she was a gold digger and he was right.

You forgot, she help write the prenup and agreed to what it details.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By X-CaptHook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI1g3wnaLGk
View All Quotes
A High Value Man is defined, first off as a High Net Worth man. Sorry some of you are broke.

Some good observations.   Can we get a HVM forum?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By sirbordsalot311:
"High-value" man is such a cringe term
View Quote
"High net worth" is the correct term.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Never understood how that could possibly be legal…

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

He has been dead for a couple of years now, so that number is missing some inflation.

But still, even $200k/year doesn’t seem like high value in most metropolitan areas.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Your1Savior:

Gator don't play
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gator:
No summary, no care

@Your1Savior see my post above amigo

Gator don't play

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#19]
If you're waiting until the day of the ceremony for her to sign, it's probably going to be invalid anyway.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By molar:

Yep. Guy I know had the judge ask him if he would have married his wife had she not signed a pre-nup.  He replied "of course not". The judge threw out the pre-nup.
View All Quotes

Yep. Guy I know had the judge ask him if he would have married his wife had she not signed a pre-nup.  He replied "of course not". The judge threw out the pre-nup.
Your friend did not tell you the whole story. That's not how prenups "get thrown out."
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Tell us you didn't watch or listen to the video without telling us you didn't watch the vid.

It's obvious she planned that she thought she could sucker him into the marriage without signing it.

- Continuous reminders
- Preacher comes to him and spends 5-10 minutes to try to convince him to marry anyways without the prenup
- Dude said at the party afterwards the fiancée's main squeeze was there at the after party
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Strela:
Dick move. I understand the pre-nup, but that have been settled long before the wedding.

It's obvious she planned that she thought she could sucker him into the marriage without signing it.

- Continuous reminders
- Dude said at the party afterwards the fiancée's main squeeze was there at the after party

Why did he become engaged and set a wedding date when his criteria for marriage were not met?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#22]
If she DID sign it on the day of the wedding or day before that would not give her enough time to have HER lawyer review it.

Based on "duress" and her not having it legally reviewed, She'd get half his shit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#23]

'It's obvious she planned that she thought she could sucker him into the marriage without signing it.

- Continuous reminders
- Dude said at the party afterwards the fiancée's main squeeze was there at the after party'

First of all, I wish we could retire this hackneyed phrase and its variants.

Obviously she planned it. I don't know how smart her intended target was, but with his money I'd think he has a lawyer (lawyers) to advise him. He thought she would have a change of heart on the big day?

By "dick move" I wasn't referring to his treatment of her. I was referring to all of the other people that get involved in weddings, especially friends and family.
View Quote

Stop falling prey for gold diggin' hoes playing victim.  

I could be wrong taking the dude at face value in the video.  In any event, he layed out 400K for the wedding - I doubt he's rich enough so that's an insignificant amount of money.  Too much for most to want to make a point when there's so many other women available to a dude with his resources.  I believe his word that he genuinely loved her (and was holding out hope that she would sign it) and that his only mistake was not pressing the issue harder a month or at the latest a week out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By fssf158:

Why did he become engaged and set a wedding date when his criteria for marriage were not met?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fssf158:
Dick move. I understand the pre-nup, but that have been settled long before the wedding.

- Continuous reminders

Beats me, but he said he genuinely loved her.  Said he was balling hard for 20 minutes after having to cancel.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ZuoZongtang:
If she DID sign it on the day of the wedding or day before that would not give her enough time to have HER lawyer review it.

Based on "duress" and her not having it legally reviewed, She'd get half his shit.
View Quote

How much leverage can you really get? I've never seen a pre nup, but I've heard they still have to be "fair."

Like you can't give her nothing. So are you just saying which assets are untouchable or is it just dividing up 60/40 instead of 50/50?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#26]
i'll never marry again without one.  

never ever ever will i go through that financial mess again.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:

This pisses me off because a prenup is a contract, and one of the basic roles of a court should be to uphold contracts.

of course, many judges are just activists in black robes.
View Quote
I agree, and marriage is a contract as well, and in the cases where women file for divorce (break contract) men have to pay up. The person breaking the contract is getting paid by the party that did not break the contract.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:08:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#28]
Lol try living in a community property state.  There is no such thing as a prenup.  You cannot even buy or sell property without your wife's signature.  I need my wife's signature even to get a permit for a shed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By killcormorants:
Couldn’t he had her sign it before he started wasting $400,000 for a wedding? Gave her too many chances
View Quote

400,000 dollars was a drop in the bucket, compared to alimony payments.  These don’t go down when the income drops as professional sports careers are short.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:21:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#30]
Originally Posted By DanishM1Garand:

400,000 dollars was a drop in the bucket, compared to alimony payments.  These don’t go down when the income drops as professional sports careers are short.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DanishM1Garand:
Originally Posted By killcormorants:
Couldn’t he had her sign it before he started wasting $400,000 for a wedding? Gave her too many chances

Yeah that's where the real money is.  They impute alimony and child support at whatever you could theoretically make with your skills at your best and in some insane high CoL area your wife wanted you to live in during the marraige.

IF you get divorced, need to downsize and move to a rural area or Burkino Faso they still impute you at the high income you could make while a wife could help with rent in a high cost of living area.  The fiction is somehow you're cutting your income to spite your wife, when really any married couple adjusts their cost of living as their income changes.  It's completely insane divorced couples can't adjust their cost of living downward with circumstances just as married ones do.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By flyhack72:
If the woman wouldn't sign 6mo from the wedding date, why would one proceed with planning, expecting it to be signed on the wedding day?

View Quote

I'm surprised as well, because signing the day of actually reduces the enforceability of the contract.

To the naysayers, far more prenups are enforce than voided, and the ones that get voided are usually begging for it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DKUltra:
That was actually entertaining, and sounds like he dodged a bullet.
View Quote

I like when he tells the preacher "First of all, we ain't in the same tax bracket."
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#33]
“High-value” man is such a cringe term
View Quote

I guess you ain't in the same tax bracket.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#34]

The term “High value” has nothing to do with a man’s financial status. It’s another bullshit term usually tossed around by the same crowd that adores those ridiculous sigma edit videos
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Why?

You prefer High Net Worth ?

The term “High value” has nothing to do with a man’s financial status. It’s another bullshit term usually tossed around by the same crowd that adores those ridiculous sigma edit videos

I believe it is based on what all the young women are saying they want, the 3 6's.  Six figures (or more), 6 pack, 6 feet tall (or more).

There are countless videos of young women saying that is their bare minimum requirement.  Of course, a man that has all of that is easily in the 99th percentile, hence the high value term the red pill people use.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
About the only excuse for not signing a pre-nup that I see is if she's coming straight out of high-school and won't be getting a college degree and will dedicate her life to supporting and strengthening her spouse' career and earning potentials.  In which case - you bet your ass she deserves half for helping him build all that, and then him running off with the younger secretary in 10 years.

But a grown adult woman already out in the world and capable of getting a job?  Why again, aren't you signing the prenup?  We know why you aren't signing the prenup.
View Quote

In the hypothetical case that she actually helped him build a business/career.

Regardless of her age, if she married an established man, she didn't do shit other than waste time and resources (in all likelihood).  

My point: her age at marriage has nothing to do with what she "deserves" in the divorce she is probably planning before even saying "I do."
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Lol
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's a little bit of info about prenups from an actual divorce attorney.

Because as usual GD is talking out of their rears about it.

Important note is that you probably should have one.  If you don't you basically been scammed and bought a bunch of BS about marriage in the first place.

Divorce lawyer explains prenups: Do they work? | James Sexton and Lex Fridman
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:29:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: callgood] [#38]
The most important financial decision you will ever make is who you marry.

Link
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#39]

Yep. Guy I know had the judge ask him if he would have married his wife had she not signed a pre-nup.  He replied “of course not”. The judge threw out the pre-nup.
View All Quotes

Yep. Guy I know had the judge ask him if he would have married his wife had she not signed a pre-nup.  He replied “of course not”. The judge threw out the pre-nup.

I have feeling there is no right answer
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:39:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#40]
Originally Posted By Naamah:

It’s more indicative of what people actually mean when they say that.

Value doesn’t lie only in money, although many seem to think it does.
View Quote

I think "high value man" means more than just net worth though.
It could include traits like:
Physical attractiveness
Work ethic
Employability
Athleticism
Intelligence
Temperment

At least how I look at it.

I have a friend who is disciplined, makes good money, stays in good shape. To me that is more valuable than someone who makes the same amount of money but lacks the same personal and financial discipline.

For women the list is similar but different.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

I know it's very tempting to say these kinds of things as another qualifier for why you're "better than those guys".

But like most of the stuff that comes from that space.  Those terms were likely used by someone else or an individual critiquing them.

My experience with the term initially was women using it to define what kind of guy wouldn't be "settling".

It could be made synonymous with the term "alpha male".

which despite the cringe everyone feels only means one thing in context of these conversations.

"The guy other men want to be and women want to sleep with"
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:19:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By RedAngus:

I’ve said this before on here, and I’ll reiterate.  I’ve been married over 30 years to my first wife, she has a college degree (we met/started dating in early college) and actually decided to forego medical school to marry me and support me in my career.  While I hope for many reasons we never get divorced, if we did she would absolutely deserve half of everything we have.  While I have by far been the major $ earner and make all investing decisions, she has supported me in every way possible, including working in my practice and also serving me 3 meals a day, running our household and personal finances nearly single-handedly, and helping me in ranching operations (although that’s mostly on me, she helps when needed).

We couldn’t have been as successful as we are without her. Not enough hours in the day to manage all she has done for us.  And I doubt I could have hired out the job to someone as smart and competent as her.  If we ever split, it would cost me plenty, but again, we’ve each had our crucial parts to play and we couldn’t have done it without each other.  And I won’t even try to downplay the part about her being good, intelligent, funny company, beautiful and sporting DDs!
View Quote

DD's you say?

...you know what needs to be done here sir.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Prenup marriages are doomed from the start. It implies there’s not inherent trust.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By gpoman:
Prenup marriages are doomed from the start. It implies there’s not inherent trust.
View Quote

Plenty of reasons people break up other than mistrust.  For instance, someone gets brain cancer and then through no fault of their own develops a mental condition that causes them to start beating their spouse or children.  Or your spouse has a stroke at the wheel, crashes into an innocent family killing that family and resulting in a massive lawsuit and then the only way to save any assets going forward is to divorce.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
About the only excuse for not signing a pre-nup that I see is if she's coming straight out of high-school and won't be getting a college degree and will dedicate her life to supporting and strengthening her spouse' career and earning potentials.  In which case - you bet your ass she deserves half for helping him build all that, and then him running off with the younger secretary in 10 years.

But a grown adult woman already out in the world and capable of getting a job?  Why again, aren't you signing the prenup?  We know why you aren't signing the prenup.
View Quote

My wife and I got married at 21, and neither of us had shit to our names. I was struggling with mental health issues and getting my own shit together, and even told my wife at the time that logically she shouldn't marry me.

We will have been married 20 years next year, and have been together 27 years. The idea of a pre-nup didn't come up for us - and if we ever split, she'd deserve half. I wouldn't be where I am today without her support, and her income potential is significantly lower as a result of that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:10:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seek2] [#49]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

Actually, according to the attorneys that write them, their clients with pre-nups in place tend to have a lower divorce rate.

Than those without them.

View Quote

Having gone through a legitimate prenup process, prenups really make sure you're both on the same page about
the marriage, so I would believe this. I could see a prenup causing some couples to break up before marriage, but
in that case it's still doing its job.

Both my wife and I learned a lot about each other's values, and it was probably the most complete audit/accounting of
assets I've ever done.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#50]
As part of the marriage planning, women write the wedding vows and men write the prenuptial agreement.

The prenup is not an admission of failure as much as it is an admission that our legal system (divorce proceedings) is a complete failure that victimizes men.
Page / 3
Top Top