BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
it's amazing how many read the headline and respond incorrectly to the text of the post /media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/CD5B1B69-9216-403B-9358-C05A3A07987F-482.gif
View Quote

They all say a glock will fix his problem,  i assume that means the glocks are unreliable.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By markfall:
Had a frustrating day at the range with this thing.

I worked up several loads to put through it (HP, played RN, different powders, etc.) and tried to find a combo that would group well. Several did ( 200 gr xtp over 8.4 of ramshot silhouette was particularly good)

Anyway, here's the problem.

FEEDING

No matter what I tried, I couldn't get this thing to misfeed or malfunction in any way. I tried hollow points, limp wristing, riding the slide home a bit, the works. No matter what I did this thing defied me and just kept firing. I guess I just expected less out of a Springfield mil-spec.

What can I do to fix this? I've heard for years what a piece of shit this kind of pistol is, and how easy it is to have it shit the bed. Can anyone help me make this thing suck?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142593/IMG_4190_jpeg-3206665.JPG

View Quote

Mil spec guns usually eat everything. Guns that have been "gunsmithed" and kimbers.... roll the dice.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:

Mil spec guns usually eat everything. Guns that have been "gunsmithed" and kimbers.... roll the dice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
Had a frustrating day at the range with this thing.

I worked up several loads to put through it (HP, played RN, different powders, etc.) and tried to find a combo that would group well. Several did ( 200 gr xtp over 8.4 of ramshot silhouette was particularly good)

Anyway, here's the problem.

FEEDING

No matter what I tried, I couldn't get this thing to misfeed or malfunction in any way. I tried hollow points, limp wristing, riding the slide home a bit, the works. No matter what I did this thing defied me and just kept firing. I guess I just expected less out of a Springfield mil-spec.

What can I do to fix this? I've heard for years what a piece of shit this kind of pistol is, and how easy it is to have it shit the bed. Can anyone help me make this thing suck?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142593/IMG_4190_jpeg-3206665.JPG

Have a friend who dropped a ton of money on one. To the best of my knowledge, that fucker has never  sent an entire mag load of anything downrange without at least 1 malfunction.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Creatyre:

Based on my reading through threads, I would say at least 50% of people read the title, immediately give their thoughts, then exit the thread without even reading it.
View Quote

Of course they did.

My 1911 is afflicted with the same problem as the OP's.

And it also devours bullseyes..... 🎯
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#5]
99% of the time it's a mag issue. Get Mec-Gars or Chip McCormicks if you dont have them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:

Has anyone notified hackathorn about this? Probably wouldn't matter because he'd be wondering what you're going to be doing with all those leftover rounds since you really only need two.
View Quote

Not sending a round downrange is simply a money saving top tip.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Yesterday I got asked how I got swc to work in my 1911.

They've never not worked. Including these 255gr boys
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Ryan Flynn, ACGW down in NC. He did the sights, cerakote, undercut, checkering, and beaver tail. I threw on the magwell that doesn't match and detracts from the gun overall
View Quote
I've met Ryan.  He's good friends with a buddy of mine in Virginia.  Seems like a good dude.  Haven't seen a ton of his work, but what have seen has been solid.  

And like OP, none of my 1911s (3 at the moment) have ever had any kind of failure thus far.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#9]
My experience with 1911s that I have owned or friends of mine owned and I shot is pretty good overall.

Every now and then you come across a problem child but the bad apples have been brand new and tight ,  shitty magazines , some kind of wacky reloads.

Take a gun that has been broken in a bit ,somewhat clean with some lube , brand name magazines and decent factory ammo or proven reloads and they run all day every day.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#10]
This is the thread where whippersnappers show their lack of experience with real weapons and will probably finish with a rant on how soy milk is far superior to dairy because it makes their vaginas wetter.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:58:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: carcrazysammy] [#11]
Originally Posted By VaniB:
If you can get over 200 rounds of ammo thru it without at least one malfunction, consider yourself very fortunate. The typical 1911 in any make can't do it. I wouldn't believe you anyway unless I saw it firing the 4 boxes/200 rounds with my own eyes or on a video without pausing.  

You know.... its pretty sad anyway when the 1911 has such a well established track record for poor reliability that you saw the need to come here with satire about it.

I don't EVER remember seeing a used 1911 for sale with the seller mentioning "Its been 100% reliable"..... NOT a single instance of reading that in a classified ad ever!
This is why many 1911's get dumped with other clunkers as a trade-in at dealers. This way the seller has no direct accountability screwing a buyer, and the FFL dealer is never expected to know what he is selling. How convenient.
View Quote

70,000 rounds and it malfunctions approx once in 5000 rounds at most. Several pistol classes and matches. Never a malfunction once in all the classes I've taken over the years. I have no idea what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#12]
it's amazing how many read the headline and respond incorrectly to the text of the post /media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/CD5B1B69-9216-403B-9358-C05A3A07987F-482.gif
View Quote

The average 1911 is more reliable than the reading skills of the average GD poster.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By VaniB:
If you can get over 200 rounds of ammo thru it without at least one malfunction, consider yourself very fortunate. The typical 1911 in any make can't do it. I wouldn't believe you anyway unless I saw it firing the 4 boxes/200 rounds with my own eyes or on a video without pausing.  

You know.... its pretty sad anyway when the 1911 has such a well established track record for poor reliability that you saw the need to come here with satire about it.

I don't EVER remember seeing a used 1911 for sale with the seller mentioning "Its been 100% reliable"..... NOT a single instance of reading that in a classified ad ever!
This is why many 1911's get dumped with other clunkers as a trade-in at dealers. This way the seller has no direct accountability screwing a buyer, and the FFL dealer is never expected to know what he is selling. How convenient.
View Quote

I have 3 1911's. I have zero problems out of any of them. And they have been fired more than 200rds at a range session.
The ParaOrd LTC has been my carry pistol for many years. It has been fired thousands of rounds with zero malfunctions. Carry ammo, my reloads of 230g ball and 200g powdercoated SWC's.

Your post is full of fail.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#14]
My Gold Cup will cycle rocks if I load up a mag with them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By xviperx420:
99% of the time it's a mag issue. Get Mec-Gars or Chip McCormicks if you dont have them.
View Quote

My 3 1911's are fed out of Wilson 47D's. Have had no problems at all while using them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had the same issue with my 1911 with over 1000 rounds through it. And I've used the standard SA mags (came with the gun), Kimber mags, and WC mags.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#17]
My TRP was a stovepiping bitch for about the first 500 rounds w/230grn ball. An 18lb spring fixed her right up and she's pretty much been flawless after that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:04:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: memsu] [#18]
I'm seriously considering a Tisas 2011 double stack.

You can't beat the trigger on a 1911.

I inherited a Colt 1991A1 Stainless from my God father. He was a huge 1911 fan and the one that taught me to reload.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#19]
1911 is dumb. Army should have adopted the M17 back then. Were they stoopid?

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Did it work before you had the work done?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:37:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Osprey61] [#21]
Lock the tail of your extractor tightly in a vise, and give it a really hard shove with a pair of padded pliers. An out-of-tune extractor is the debil, and will give you hours and hours of creative jams. Funny, too, because the check out and tuning are ridiculously simple. Or just buy a WC bulletproof extractor, if you're the kind of person who has trouble changing windshield wipers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By KILROD73:

The average 1911 is more reliable than the reading skills of the average GD poster.
View All Quotes

LOL

That's gotta be the lowest standard ever.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Just ordered a Tisas stingray in 9mm so wish me luck! If it runs I'll be super happy! My DW V Bob in 9mm is a sewing machine but a lot more coin.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Did it work before you had the work done?
View Quote
Yep. All the work I had done was cosmetic and ergonomic though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Have had lots of 1911s. From a Llama MiniMax, to multiple Charles Dalys, SAs, Kimbers, Ed Brown, and others. The only one that gave me trouble was the Llama. It would hit me in the face with ejected brass. It made me flinch, not from recoil, but because of the ejection issue. That was my first 1911. Thankfully it didn't turn me off from the platform. I still have a few, but prefer to carry several different Sig P365s now. Don't like heavy pistols on my belt anymore, including my BHPs.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:03:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

LOL

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

LOL

well, this post can't be more proof of why fights break out and gangs shoot each other over horseshit said on the net...we're an ignorant lot..
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:16:32 AM EDT
[#27]
You think you’re pissed; I’m stuck with a bunch of Colts that all work.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:24:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By sdc360:
I have the same issue with a kimber  tactical 2 and tisas 9mm 1911.

According to GG both should be used to level a table at Denny’s… I’ll have to work harder, maybe soak my ammo in water overnight.

Only issue I’ve ever had with a 1911 or 2011 was a slide release I needed to polish a little. My 2011’s get used pretty hard, they have a right to complain a little but for some reason they just keep going.
View Quote

Same here. 2 Kimbers and 2 Tisas and both solid as hell.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#29]
The best responses so far, the ones that will really work for you are to tighten that extractor a good bit, and get some ProMag magazines.  You'll be a jam clearing fool in no time.
Indiscriminate changing of springs is a pro-level strategy if the others don't go far enough for you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Ohio:
The best responses so far, the ones that will really work for you are to tighten that extractor a good bit, and get some ProMag magazines.  You'll be a jam clearing fool in no time.
Indiscriminate changing of springs is a pro-level strategy if the others don't go far enough for you.
View Quote

Best to change multiple springs at the same time too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Don’t forget to sign up for AARP
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#32]
I remember when a large segment of gun people believed the AR-15 was unreliable. Others thought 223 was insufficient for fighting. Now it is America's rifle.

The 1911 has been America's handgun for over a century. But we let a generation + be educated by commies and received by the plastic Stryker fired capacity. Though they have been long deceived, we shall hope that these 1911 deniers will see the light and heed John Moses Browning's sing action command. For now we have the widespread quality double stacks and 2011, there are no further excuses for heresy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Yep. All the work I had done was cosmetic and ergonomic though.
View Quote

Seems odd that even though work was cosmetic only, it now gives trouble.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Seems odd that even though work was cosmetic only, it now gives trouble.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#35]
These people who talk about 1911s jamming must be Kimber owners.  Mine has NEVER let me down.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I have riia marine clone. It wont eat hollow points or load the ladt round out of any mag including wilson. Who can i send it to to get it hot rodded
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By hanker71:
I have riia marine clone. It wont eat hollow points or load the ladt round out of any mag including wilson. Who can i send it to to get it hot rodded
View Quote

RIA
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Definitely take out the extractor bend it really hard and put it back in.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:05:54 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Yeah, posted from my potato.  It seems weird that before he sent it in only for cosmetic work, it worked fine.  Then when he gets it back, no workie.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

The only SWC stoppages I had were from not removing the bell completely.  Even then out of four boxes like that I had just a handful hang up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:02:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yankee43] [#41]
Originally Posted By carcrazysammy:

70,000 rounds and it malfunctions approx once in 5000 rounds at most. Several pistol classes and matches. Never a malfunction once in all the classes I've taken over the years. I have no idea what you are talking about.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/109231/20230701_190750-2870551.jpg
View Quote

That’s an impressive testimonial.
Judging by the wear on the slide, your pistol looks like you carry it a a lot.

The grips and frame look surprisingly good for a pistol that’s fired 70K rnds.  
That is remarkable, and not the least bit suspicious.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Yeah, posted from my potato.  It seems weird that before he sent it in only for cosmetic work, it worked fine.  Then when he gets it back, no workie.
View Quote

He said his gun doesn't malfunction, that's the problem he's talking about. I think you might have misread the thread.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Have you tried riding your off hand thumb on the slide? That works every time on my 4" pro.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:13:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

He said his gun doesn't malfunction, that's the problem he's talking about. I think you might have misread the thread.
View Quote

HOLY SHIT LOL!!!!  talk about a bad case of “RIF”.  Mea fucking culpa.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#45]

HOLY SHIT LOL!!!!  talk about a bad case of “RIF”.  Mea fucking culpa.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#46]
OP, that has to be the best setup 1911 I have ever seen. You and I must have the same taste.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top