Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#1]
There hasn't been a good release in over ten years.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, I used to play "Tempest" and "Missle Command." (-;
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KonamiCode:
I still have my original Nintendo and I play it every once in a while. Looking forward to this though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdBZY2fkU-0
View Quote

Does MidCap help code these games?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Just want Activision to update Zork so it can play on my iPad again!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:50:05 AM EDT
[#5]
havent touched a game since COD went all fucking queer and fortniteish.

stop fucking with stuff and just let us run around and shoot each other
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I see them as regressing trolls

Look at MW1 or 2...amazing games
Look at the COD franchise as a whole now....steaming pile of garbage from wokeness to graphics going backward

The fallout franchise has regressed

Most places will put out a decent product and then big money gets involved and they phone it in and build dei

You have the madden type tards though who keep fueling the industry because they are tards
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Paul:

View Quote
Ghosts of Tsushima was probably the last great game.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Probably the reason why vintage consoles are skyrocketing in price.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:58:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: crownvic96] [#9]
Originally Posted By Twisted10:

View Quote
Trying to play CoD, well just logging into the home screen(s) remind me of the commercials from Idiocracy. There is so much going on it's visually overwhelming to me. I'm 45 and have been gaming since well I was barely out of diapers fwiw.

I've always been about FPS online multiplayer but they're all pretty bad now. About all I play is world of warships.

I'm thinking of breaking down and getting into single player games after decade's of online gaming.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#10]
All the games I've enjoyed lately have been indie or small
Studios and not mainstream AAA titles. Realism modded DayZ is an amazing game.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:00:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: killstick_engaged] [#11]
I thought Final Fantasy 16 was pretty good.  , easily the best mainline entry in the series for years , unless you count the online game I guess which I don't .

Ditto for the 7 remake and part 2 in particular. Both really good.

You need a PS5 to play those though for the time being.

Nowadays I mostly play strategy games like Warhammer 3 or Stellaris. Yes, Stellaris can often just be a very pretty spreadsheet , But I still enjoy it.

I found myself skipping a lot of new releases. The last assassin's Creed game I enjoyed was Odyssey and that was barely an assassin's Creed game. Then they went full DEI And said If their game features an optional female protagonist, then only their female protagonists are Canon. Then they Completely cut guys out with their Star wars game so I'm clearly no longer in their target demographic lol.

I'm looking forward to Kingdom come Deliverance 2.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I wish they'd make a new Portal game. I loved 1 and 2. I'm probably going to replay those soon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Been playing tomb raider 1-3 remastered on my PS4.
This is how older games should be treated.

They pretty much took the original game and ported it. However they also went through and updated all the graphics and added newer controls for those who want it.
You can switch between the original tank controls or the new style controls. You can also instantly (during gameplay) switch between the original unmodified graphics and the new updated graphics.

I play in the original graphics with the original tank controls and LOVE it. Exactly how the games were meant to be played and how I remember them.
I played those games so much in the late 90's.

I will switch to the updated graphics every now and then and look around, but always switch back as I feel like I am playing a different game.

They even included the extra levels that were originally only available for the PC versions.

Modern games are just endless sequels or get ruined by wokeness.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Tuco22:
Yeah its all pretty much gone to shit
From
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/439317/0000000688_1920x1080-3206698.jpg

To this

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/439317/Screenshot_3-3206702.jpg

The first 2 minutes of this 2 hour video pretty well summarize how fucked up its become.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Lm3iu0VrE
View Quote
I fucking CANNOT STAND all the ridiculously stupid skins in CoD.
Way to keep it realistic.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
I'm thinking of breaking down and getting into single player games after decade's of online gaming.
View Quote

If you are on PC give some smaller Games a try, Insurgency Sandstorm if you want a modern Setting or if you are interrested in WW1 i strongly recommend Isonzo  which is propably my favourite FPS since I dont have the time for CS anymore.

Tripple A Titles generally suck donkey dick nowdays : microtransactions, tube level with press X to look at explosion shit  and DIE
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:20:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#16]
Originally Posted By The_Master_Shake:
Microtransactions suck.

Allowing "inclusiveness" into the industry did exactly to the gaming industry what it did to Hollywood

What Sony is doing to Helldivers is ridiculous

Diablo 4 was a huge let down.

But what can you do? Only so much retro gaming out there
View Quote

The helldivers thing makes sense from sonys seat. If every person playing makes an account. It will boost their psn numbers. Which will look fantastic to the investors, and mislead them into thinking they've sold more consoles.

Diablo 4 was predictable. I didn't bother playing. Diablo 3 was a let down

The most glaring issue currently is the lack of innovation, teams are playing it safe, and games are taking too long to make. Microtransactions and pleasing investors is priority #1, over a game being fun.

Back in the 90s, some PC games took a few months to make. It was unusual for a game to take longer than a year to create.

Fast forward to the 2000s, tech was advancing so fast that you had to release a game in less than 2 years or the tech would pass it up. There were alot of great games during this time as a result.

Then skip to the 2010s and current. A ten year development cycle isn't uncommon. Skyrim came out in 2011 and the next elder scrolls isn't coming for probably another 5 or 6 years. Close to a 20 year development cycle. Diablo 4 came out 13 years after Diablo 3. Overwatch 2 was the same as overwatch 1, just with a small content patch, and that took them 6 years to do.

The silicon valley mentality is all play and no work. And as a result these games never get finished. And when they do they are dog shit.

I am hopeful that Microsoft will fix blizzard though. The first thing they did after purchasing it was fire everyone. I had a friend who worked for blizzard a couple years ago. He said any time there was criticism on the forums the devs would blame the players, and double down on keeping things players didn't like. Good example was D3. Beta testers complained the game wasn't dark themed enough, and the lead developer added a unicorn level as a middle finger to the player base.

I grew up playing games but I don't as much anymore. I'm just alot more picky with how I spend my free time. Game has to be really fun for me to bother.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:25:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rheinmetall792] [#17]
Originally Posted By MikeyCNY:

I learned how to type playing the "Quest" games... Space Quest was my favorite. Throw in some King's Quest and Police Quest as well.

OP: I understand in a way, I've been a PC gamer for most of my life... I've always preferred single player games, but have dabbled in multiplayer. As I've gotten older I've played less as I've prioritized "adult stuff" (gun training, exercise, house maintenance), but I still find it relaxing.

I haven't purchased a new game at launch in over 10 years - I prefer to wait until the initial bugs are worked out then get it on a 50% sale.

I think some of it is the attention span of the modern gamer - they need all that flashy stuff just to keep them engaged. I blame TikTok, Snapchat etc..
View Quote

About 20 yrs for me. The Baldur's Gate family of games was my thing. Also Wolfenstein and Quake series.

Life responsibilities have changed since then and I don't think the entertainment value is better today, and sone games also have woke bullshit. Never cared about online gaming. Too many "kids" of all ages who have far more time than me to master the games + cheats. I care about the adventure itself, so single player is fine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Don’t do PC games myself so can’t comment on them (I work on a PC all day, why would I want to play a game on one?) but console wise the worst part is online updates have made developers lazy. They can release half finished or broken games, then just patch them later. I do feel
Like grsphics have reached a level of diminishing returns, as my 1080p tv is not going to have games looking much better, which is why I’ve not upgraded from PS4/One X yet. But i mostly play FPS for the campaign, so admittedly am an outlier.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I just want to run around and mow down Japs with a BAR or Thompson.  Is that too much to ask for?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD3i4tkQ2CQ
View Quote

Ok that was pretty damn funny.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By KonamiCode:
I still have my original Nintendo and I play it every once in a while. Looking forward to this though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdBZY2fkU-0
View Quote

Who has time for that though?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I've never been an online or offline multiplayer guy. I always enjoyed a single player campaign. That has gone away over the last 15ish years and the games stories just kinda suck now. Also seems like you pay a shit load for the games, then have to pay a shit load for tons of DLC to even make the game worth it.
Also, I love some Halo, Halo has been fucked since Halo 4. Doesn't even seem like 343 has any idea on how to make a good Halo game and story.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#23]
The PS5 account system is terribly confusing.

My 5 year old does not have (nor does he need) an email address.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I enjoy gaming, but a lot of games I just do not like.  And most I have never played or never heard of.  I don’t even have the latest console, just an Xbox One.

In the Xbox, I mainly just rotate a few games, like Subnautica, Skyrim, Fallout 4.  I play the original Star Wars Battlefront with my kids and wife, but I don’t have an online account at all, so the game maps are limited.  Right now I’m playing Minecraft on the Xbox 360 with my daughter and it’s a blast.

I too find most modern games too complex, too many things happening onscreen, which is why I find what I like and stick to it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:54:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Michaelson] [#25]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
I have an old N64 put goldeneye in it and continuously won against my kids until they gave up a few years back. They can kick my ass at modern games.

I play Battlefield 1 online. The WW1 gameplay is slowed down just enough where it's still fun. I'm not great at it but it's fun.
View Quote

Kicked my little brother's ass all afternoon on goldeneye. Haven't played it or anything else for any length of time since middle school summer camp.

Humbled his ass who plays grand theft auto and other shit almost constantly.

That said, I'd be fucking lost at these new games.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Indie games are where it is at now, as others have said.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:58:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FDrifting] [#27]
You could argue that without the shit games we wouldn't have our masterpieces.

The Witcher 3
The Last of Us I & II
Ghosts of Tsushima
Elden Ring
Sekiro
God of War
Fallout 4

these are just titles I've played that have been out since 2015.

it's all about substance and story.

and you don't know frustrating until you try a dark souls game. Elden Ring was my first and I've never come so close to smashing my PlayStation until I finally started getting it.

shit almost forgot Red Dead 2. Probably my favorite out of the bunch.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#28]
fucking shit fuckin sucks.

ontop of everything op mentioned, they can't seem to make a game that doesn't require you spend 300 fuckign hours doing some bullshit repetitive task just to get some slightly better weapon that might slightly give you an advantage against others in online play.

oh and every 3 months there's a new motherfucken expensive update that's going to take a hour to play through.

motherfuckers just make game that doesn't suck and people will play it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Think this is bad…check out some of the play to win mobile games.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Let's get this out of the way: (How dare you not like what I like!)

Video games are a supreme waste of time
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:09:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoRdErBaCoN] [#31]
Go play Red Dead Redemption / RDR2 and chill out, OP.

Edit - Actually - Rockstar Games are pretty fun.  GTA, L.A. Noire, etc

I also enjoyed Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, etc.  

I haven't done much online gaming since Gears of War 1,2,3.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Just saw some positive developments with Warhammer 3. Previous DLC was hot garbage and included a substantial price increase. Reviews were bad and nobody bought it. Creative Assembly fired a bunch of people and went on an apology tour. Latest release last week was substantially better, included a lot of free updates / content and more people are playing again. Money is the only way to change these companies behavior.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:
I've never been an online or offline multiplayer guy. I always enjoyed a single player campaign. That has gone away over the last 15ish years and the games stories just kinda suck now. Also seems like you pay a shit load for the games, then have to pay a shit load for tons of DLC to even make the game worth it.
Also, I love some Halo, Halo has been fucked since Halo 4. Doesn't even seem like 343 has any idea on how to make a good Halo game and story.
View Quote
There's a shit ton of perfect single player games out there. Watch videos of Ghosts of Tsushima of The Last of Us.

as for games costing a lot now, yeah man it happens with time. Expensive games back in the day costing a mind blowing 100 million to make is chickenshit now. GTA VI has surpassed $2 billion.  

DLC's are optional. Plenty of games I skip them but for some games that leave me craving more they're welcome.

if you like Halo and want a solid game/ story play the Dead Space series or the Callisto Protocol.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:13:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Deerhurst] [#34]
It's getting pretty bad.

I do not do any multiplayer. For that the game companies punish me. I have BLOPS3 to do couch co-op for zombies. Friends hang out and shoot zombies in the face. BLOPS4 has zero single player content. COD Cold war has a pathetic campaign with a weak story and very little content. I bought it for zombies anyways. Well, apparently it'll only handle 2 person couch co-op. It could have been amazing with 4 players couch co-opor even the ability to finish the Easter eggs with 2 people but nope. Garbage. Hell, dammed thing crashes almost every time I try to add a second player for couch co-op.

The stories have been going downhill. The overall content now is just laziness and incompetence.

Last really good modern games I played were the Horizon games. Fantastic and unusual for the gaming industry.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#35]
The only semi-recent game I’ve really enjoyed is Days Gone.  I have fun with it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By killstick_engaged:
I'm looking forward to Kingdom come Deliverance 2.
View Quote

You and me both, brother. God be praised!

Boy that game pissed off the woke inclusivity crowd SO bad.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By FDrifting:
You could argue that without the shit games we wouldn't have our masterpieces.

The Witcher 3
The Last of Us I & II
Ghosts of Tsushima
Elden Ring
Sekiro
God of War
Fallout 4

these are just titles I've played that have been out since 2015.

it's all about substance and story.

and you don't know frustrating until you try a dark souls game. Elden Ring was my first and I've never come so close to smashing my PlayStation until I finally started getting it.

shit almost forgot Red Dead 2. Probably my favorite out of the bunch.
View Quote

Yep, those are some great single player games (what I play).  I would also add the Tomb Raider reboots, the Uncharted series, and the last 3 Assassin's Creed games.  Hell, I thought Hogwarts Legacy was pretty damn good.

There are a lot of shit games, but we've had some really good ones, too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Paul:

View Quote

What?  red dead 2, last of us, last of us 2. horizon zero dawn, horizon west. Callisto protocol, dead space remake, many more fantastic games.  online rainbow six, battlefield 5.  warzone.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#39]
The last video game I played was pong back in the 70's.

Go outside and do something, believe it or not there's lots of cool shit to do out there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#40]
I tend to agree with you OP.  When a game requires an internet connection to play, you know it’s going to constantly update itself.  I see a big difference between old console games I run on an emulator, new console games that don’t require an internet connection (a lot of the Nintendo Switch games), and new console games that require an internet connection (a lot of the PS5 games).
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By nowgrn4:

Go outside and do something, believe it or not there's lots of cool shit to do out there.
View Quote
Hanging out on social media forums while telling people to go outside and do something is funny.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#42]
I wanted to see what the fuss was about so I played Duke Nuke'm 3D when it came out in 1996.  It was a bit frustrating but fun.

That was the last time I played a computer game.  Has anything changed?

(For background, I worked with Nvidia GPU PhysX teams back in the day, worked with high performance computing GPGPU system designers, and even worked with Midway when they were first using GPU's a couple decades ago.  I understand the tech, I've seen the demos, I know that the graphics are better - for a price.  Are the games really that much more fun considering the time investment involved?)
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Twisted10:

View Quote
I still play COD with some buddies somewhat regularly but yeah it's gotten pretty ridiculous.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By jwnc:
I wanted to see what the fuss was about so I played Duke Nuke'm 3D when it came out in 1996.  It was a bit frustrating but fun.

(For background, I worked with Nvidia GPU PhysX teams back in the day, worked with high performance computing GPGPU system designers, and even worked with Midway when they were first using GPU's a couple decades ago.  I understand the tech, I've seen the demos, I know that the graphics are better - for a price.  Are the games really that much more fun considering the time investment involved?)
View Quote

Not from what I can see watching and helping my kids play.  My youngest uses an emulator, an iPad, and a Nintendo Switch.  My teenager uses a PS5.  Aside from the much better graphics and multiplayer, games don’t seem to offer much more fun.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#45]
I still enjoy single player stuff.

If you want good, slower-paced games, try RDR2, or No Man's Sky (though NMS has had a fuck load of updates since it was first released, which make it great).  

I'm gonna make another run through Fallout 4 soon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By jwnc:

View Quote

No. Nothing has changed.

Just like how people can't read past a thread title.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

What do you do between 9pm and midnight?  That's my gaming time, after hiking with my dog twice a day, motorcycle rides, skiing, snowmobiling ,boating, working around house and working a job.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:59:27 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

I spent yesterday morning working on my tractor and spent the afternoon working outside.  Then, I played games for a bit.  Normal people can get both, but I understand that you're probably retarded and smoking bath salts down there in FL.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Most of todays movies have gone the same way. CRAP.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#50]
The modern AAA game industry absolutely sucks. The only thing these big companies care about is sucking as much money out of the consumer as possible to appease their shareholders.  They have no love for making games, and it shows when their AAA turds are released.  Their games are soulless, created by developers just looking for a paycheck and managed by MBAs that use science and focus groups to figure out how to fuck you over just enough to where you give them as much money as possible without just saying "fuck it" and leaving. "Fun" isn't a factor at all when these games are made.  They shroud their predatory intentions in rainbow flags and LGBTQIAWTFBBQ virtue signaling not because they give a shit about those freaks but because it distracts the public away from their shitty business practices and lands them more DEI money.  

Luckily there are still a lot of indie games being made that are decent, or else the whole industry would be dead by now.
Page / 5
Top Top