User Panel

Page / 46
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SAE:

They ain't going to do shit cuz.
I wish it were different.

They'd get Leavenworth if caught for sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
Cops killing service members?

Better be glad they didn't roll up on a 7th group SF guy or one of the RIs down there.

Those guys take revenge pretty seriously, I would not want to be on their list.

They ain't going to do shit cuz.
I wish it were different.

They'd get Leavenworth if caught for sure.

Knowing what some of those guys do for fun and the risks they have taken just to complete a mission and comparing that to a personal vendetta and relatively low risk....

Your assertion is quite laughable.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:

According to who?  The attorney representing the family (Ben Crump) is saying "may have" which doesn't sound confident.  And you take Crump's word as the gospel?   Hopefully the body cams will provide some actual insight as to what occurred.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:
Originally Posted By ExtraHardTaco:
Originally Posted By arowneragain:
May have?

Which means they did.

According to who?  The attorney representing the family (Ben Crump) is saying "may have" which doesn't sound confident.  And you take Crump's word as the gospel?   Hopefully the body cams will provide some actual insight as to what occurred.

It's BS, thats the speak of lawyers.....gotta move beyond it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#3]
LOL...OCSO has access to all the nice ranges just south of Crestview, and east of the EOD school.

THAT won't even change, much less some odd fantasy of some dudes exacting revenge. LOL
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll wait for actual information instead of what may have happened according to Crump before I get outraged.  

The situation does seem to raise some serious questions that need to be answered though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By burnka871:
Protected and served like a mother fucker

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/LOL-UMAD-BRO1gqf_zps44023202_JPG-109.jpg
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/not-136.gif

I don’t get it.     Explain the joke.        Why is this amusing?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
I'll wait for actual information instead of what may have happened according to Crump before I get outraged.  

The situation does seem to raise some serious questions that need to be answered though.
View Quote

Let's wait for the police to investigate themselves.  They have a good track record too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:

The title of the article is saying the "Family said". Looked through two others and that wording didn't come up. So it could just be that particular news media saying it.
View Quote
Well if it isn't true the Sheriff better make a statement soon.

Most of MSM is saying it was the wrong apartment.

Fuck Ben Crump, but this is what the local paper printed.

According to Crump's press release, a witness who was on a Facetime call with Fortson at the time of the shooting said that Fortson was alone in his apartment when he heard a knock at his door.

Fortson, concerned for his safety, retrieved his legally owned gun, the release says. As Fortson returned to the living room, the witness said, deputies "burst through his door." When deputies saw the gun, they fired at Fortson six times.

Fortson asked, "Who is it?" and failed to get a response, the release says. A few minutes later, Fortson heard an "aggressive" knock, but failed to see anyone once he looked out his peephole.

The witness said he saw Fortson on the ground, stating, "I can't breathe," after he was shot. The witness also said police were at the wrong apartment, and there was no disturbance, according to the release.

The above could be bullshit coming from Crump, but what if it isn't?

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's my question, does OSI get involved with this since it's the questionable death of an Airman?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't mean to be, but it's 1630hrs and you are at home on a conference call.

No doubt probably with headphones on and then armed dude bust in the house. My Glock would be at my desk and my first instinct would to grab my Glock.

The above could be all wrong, but thus far it's getting to be the case.
View Quote

According to Crump, of all people, the victim was FaceTime'ing with a female when the shooting happened.  No kind of conference call, no mention of head phones since it says he heard knocking at the door, etc.

We know the agency has body cameras so there should be footage showing what actually happened but it looks the state is handling the investigation so who knows when the footage will be released.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

Knowing what some of those guys do for fun and the risks they have taken just to complete a mission and comparing that to a personal vendetta and relatively low risk....

Your assertion is quite laughable.
View Quote
That's why I said they were lucky it wasn't a bearded guy just trying to enjoy his afternoon.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Cops killing service members?

Better be glad they didn't roll up on a 7th group SF guy or one of the RIs down there.

Those guys take revenge pretty seriously, I would not want to be on their list.

View Quote

7th Grp guys have been shot by police before.

All the Grp, Rgr, and USAFSOC guys I have met have been the most level headed and cool people to be around. I mean, I wouldn't want to get on their bad side, but very down to Earth.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:10:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UV18] [#13]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Let's wait for the police to investigate themselves.  They have a good track record too.
View Quote

Believing Crump is even a worse record than anything. A lawyer that is known to lie, embellish facts, and is a race baiter.

But you hop on his bandwagon and champion the cause!!! Please start kneeling every hour and make sure you stop the oppression by the white people today.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:

If I'm the leasing manager, I'm not calling the cops with that bullshit. The idiot who called me can call the cops themselves if they really care.

If I'm the dispatcher, "we've got a probable bullshit call, can you take a walk around and see if anything's going on there?"

If I'm the cops, walk, listen, "call cleared, no crime detected".

View Quote

Agreed, which is why I'm not hung up on the dispatcher not having 100% of the applicable information before dispatching the call.  I've walked up to 100s of calls under similar circumstances.

On the other hand, screaming and yelling would be a good indicator as to where the disturbance is.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Beamy:
Here's my question, does OSI get involved with this since it's the questionable death of an Airman?
View Quote

Might be the only way an objective investigation is done.  An AC-130 crew member was killed while involved in a work meeting.  USAF as well as the public has every right to know what happened.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:26:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#16]
Originally Posted By Panta_Rei:

Might be the only way an objective investigation is done.  An AC-130 crew member was killed while involved in a work meeting.  USAF as well as the public has every right to know what happened.
View Quote

where is the work meeting thing coming from?

And according to many here OSI isnt going to help any since they are also cops
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Probably from an advisory/command liason angle, but they have no investigatory jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:30:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#18]
Originally Posted By UV18:

Believing Crump is even a worse record than anything. A lawyer that is known to lie, embellish facts, and is a race baiter.

But you hop on his bandwagon and champion the cause!!! Please start kneeling every hour and make sure you stop the oppression by the white people today.
View All Quotes

You’re making this a Racial thing, because the victim was black?    WTF?    

It’s Not OK for the cops to just bust in and gun people down.   Doesn’t matter what the “subject” looks like.

The George Floyd thing broke a lot of brains.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Creatyre:
Details aside, the fact that it is the acorn dept doesn't instill confidence.
View Quote

Yeah, doesn't help the SO a bit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Police are known to lie and embellish facts and yet here you are jumping on the TBL bandwagon....
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Did he have a dog?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't believe the police, believe the video.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

View Quote

The only witness we've heard from was on a conference call with the deceased at the time.
Witness says "wrong apartment" because he knows it couldn't have been the right apartment. But that doesn't mean there ever was a right apartment, so 'mistaken address' doesn't really apply here.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#24]

The only witness we've heard from was on a conference call with the deceased at the time.
Witness says "wrong apartment" because he knows it couldn't have been the right apartment. But that doesn't mean there ever was a right apartment, so 'mistaken address' doesn't really apply here.
View Quote

So the "conference call" is the FaceTime video with a female Crump was talking about?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#25]

So the "conference call" is the FaceTime video with a female Crump was talking about?
View All Quotes

Only thing I've read in any of the articles was a description of being on a video call, with only another party mentioned.  Nothing about a group call or anything.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#26]

From the article it wasnt a no knock raid it was them responding to a call for service
View All Quotes
I want to know what the E4 AF guy was doing to justify a no knock raid?

If they knew him they could contact the base and pick him up without incident (btdt).

Show up at the home with the COC after calling him and they take him in peacefuly.

No need for no knock executions.

Especially if he was on a conference call with his unit.

From the article it wasnt a no knock raid it was them responding to a call for service

Where they knocked.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

So we might be dealing with journalistic confusion or deliberate Crump confusion?

Video conferencing with girlfriend becomes conference call with .mil after the info goes through a few people like a game of Telephone?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Panta_Rei:

I assumed conference call pertains to something more official than friend chat.  Who knows, might be another good reason for OSI to step in and find out why they just unexpectedly lost an airman.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Paul:
Sadly nothing will happen to the cops who murdered that innocent man.
View Quote

In the last few years you have gone completely off the rails.  You know this is coming from Ben Crump right?   Personally, I'll wait to see the actual body cam because apparently it exists.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

They're not investigating themselves.  They've turned the investigation completely over to FDLE who, for the record, arrest cops ALL the time.  Christ, does anybody bother to read the article anymore before posting stupidly?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Even money says that by the time this is over and videos released, the airman was Facetiming his girlfriend and in a shouting match with her. Audio heard by other tenants, deputies respond to his apartment not knowing its verbal only by dint of her being off-site. They knock and announce, he tells them to fuck off and grabs a gun, she starts screaming through FaceTime like every other fucking DV in history, and cops force entry because they hear her screaming and think she's in distress. Airman doesn't drop gun and gets shot.

I'd say there's about a 40% chance that's how this went down. 20% totally wrong apartment and deputies were idiots. 20% chance airman went out armed looking to see what was going on and accidentally surprised deputies at an adjacent door. 20% chance totally oddball alternate scenario.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By bcsoeod:

They're not investigating themselves.  They've turned the investigation completely over to FDLE who, for the record, arrest cops ALL the time.  Christ, does anybody bother to read the article anymore before posting stupidly?
View All Quotes

I'll hold my breath waiting on charges.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

It’s Not OK for the cops to just bust in and gun people down.   Doesn’t matter what the “subject” looks like.

View Quote

Your attorney friend is the race baiter, not me. You are aligning with him based upon a person that has a known history of lying, providing false information, being a drama queen, and baiting people into a movement without being honest with the facts of the case.

And, yes, it can be 100% legal for cops to bust in and gun people down. Facts matter, which we have none. But you are aligning yourself with the person I described above and believing what he says. You are either a person that believes whatever an attorney says, is blindsided by your hate for LE and will jump to conclusions to support your bias, or a combination of both.

I would rather wait it out and not jump in bed with that chump, but you do you. The details don't make sense, even if it is coming from the Acorn agency. But that Acorn officer was former mil, which is supposed to be a good thing, right?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Yeah..It's the Panhandle. Aden will let him resign like he did Acorn Operator.

Probably go to Walton. Okaloosa and Walton trade trouble kids all the time.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

FaceTime video is what the one report said. That isn't a "conference call".
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

We know it's a shit show when the department's official explaination is nothing more than "Late Friday afternoon, our deputy responded to a call of a disturbance in progress where he encountered an armed man. The deputy shot the man, who later succumbed to his injuries."  (aka:  Saw a man with a legally owned gun in his house and killed him) and it's all ad hominem attacks to "not defend" the shooting.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

You can't confernece call on FaceTime?  And that also assumes that they are talking about FaceTime(TM) and aren't just using a genericization.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

I figured you would hold your breath waiting on facts

But then you couldn't feed the conspiracy machine
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

That does appear to be the latest narrative.....probably so.....not a conference call.  Ok, so why did any of this lead to his death?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#40]

We know it's a shit show when the department's official explaination is nothing more than "Late Friday afternoon, our deputy responded to a call of a disturbance in progress where he encountered an armed man. The deputy shot the man, who later succumbed to his injuries."  (aka:  Saw a man with a legally owned gun in his house and killed him) and it's all ad hominem attacks to "not defend" the shooting.
View Quote

This is something that needs to be handled quickly, but the agency needs to establish a reputation for doing it. Quick press conference and wait a couple of days for a more detailed conference and some video. It puts the rumors to rest AND it creates a pattern where the idiot rumor spreaders aren't taken with much credit since the public knows the release is coming in a couple of days.

LE should all do this by now. Circling the wagons is an old school philosophy that has never really paid off.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

View Quote

Like Crump, just for the other side.

Cops seem wrong in this one, regardless of who the victim is or who is representing their family.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#42]

So we might be dealing with journalistic confusion or deliberate Crump confusion?

Video conferencing with girlfriend becomes conference call with .mil after the info goes through a few people like a game of Telephone?
View Quote

I think it was mentioned in one of these threads already that there is a possibility the victim was having an argument/scream matching with a girlfriend via FaceTime and that generated the call and gets the ball rolling.  If the responding deputies hear the same thing, I guess you can start to build the case for forcing entry but theres A LOT of unanswered questions.  We dont do a lot of forced entries on DVs here but every place is different and a lot of this is going to boil down to the body cam footage, facetime video, and statements made by the witness(s) and deputies. Seems like there are way more unknowns than knowns at this point.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

A fact is that the longer it goes between the shooting and the video being released by the cops, the worse it ends up being for the taxpayer.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

even if certain people do read the various articles they are going to post whatever their usual schtick is.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#45]
They were strapped and jacked and had to get it on. If he had blasted them coming through the door he would have been justified.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Damn.
Prayers for the family.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#47]

If the responding deputies hear the same thing, I guess you can start to build the case for forcing entry but theres A LOT of unanswered questions.  We dont do a lot of forced entries on DVs here but every place is different and a lot of this is going to boil down to the body cam footage, facetime video, and statements made by the witness(s) and deputies. Seems like there are way more unknowns than knowns at this point.
View Quote

Is there a difference between forced entry and uninvited entry?
What if he doesn't lock his doors and you just walk in after knocking (and allegedly not announcing)?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Gilly:

Probably from an advisory/command liason angle, but they have no investigatory jurisdiction.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gilly:

Correct…but, if the guy had been Navy, the NCIS would have opened a case, and taken it over from local authorities.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:54:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#49]

Is there a difference between forced entry and uninvited entry?
What if he doesn't lock his doors and you just walk in after knocking (and allegedly not announcing)?
View Quote

Viewed the exact same way....it all falls under non-consensual entry. Here; if we go inside the residence with fire and EMTs on a medical call without consent from a home owner a raid and search packet is completed and sent to IA. Those types of entries fall under urgent necessity instead of exigent circumstance but it is all treated the same by IA
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#50]
"may have entered the wrong apartment."

They still don't know?
Page / 46
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top