Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
In our county, getting tapped in ordinarily doesn't happen unless property is annexed into the city.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Well have 3 wells and irrigate from snow melt from the mountains.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a silly thing called "Service Areas".

They do not always align with political boundaries.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:09:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#4]
Have municipal water one mile out of the city at one place, average bill $16 a month for 2000 gallons (hookup fee plus $1.77 per 1000 gal). At another place have the towns water tank at the top of my property, the closest ‘city’ is 18 miles away, and just connection fee is $45 a month.

Lots of places rely on a municipal or co-op water system, especially in north central Arkansas.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:33:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OregonShooter] [#5]
Apparently this is common in KY. I guess they fucked up the ground water mining and drilling for oil?

My in-laws bought a place not too far from Campbellsville KY.

Not common in Oregon.  Drill a well.60 feet or 600 feet it's on you.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I do.

City water but on a septic.

Growing up I had well water but public sewer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JustinU235:
I have "city water" but am on septic.
View Quote

Same.  I live in a small neighborhood surrounded by lakes and farms.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#8]
County/COOP water yes if that is what you mean by city.  We have COOP water and a well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Where I live, you have to have a well for water, that is the only option. Some large farming areas have collectively paid for water infrastructure from the county to assist with watering crops because residential wells are not capable of producing the amount of water needed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes.
It's all in the zoning.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Private well, private septic, propane.  But we do have cable
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#12]
probably yes
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Public Utility District. (PUD)  I have both water and a well, no city involved.
View Quote

You have PUD and I have SUD - Special Utility District.  
I live just outside of the city but its considered unincorporated county land.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I think you'd be surprised how interconnected water lines can be in certain areas.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By joemama74:
I think you'd be surprised how interconnected water lines can be in certain areas.
View Quote

Splice into neighbors water line and keep thy mouth shut?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Torf:
"Rural" is a sliding scale.  You get points in the rural column if you can pee off your deck without attracting attention, shoot guns in your yard, or burn your trash.  You lose points if you don't have a well.  Points are averaged out and you are given a "rural rating".  Simple as that.
View Quote

When we were looking for a house, I told my wife my only requirement is I have to be able to shoot claybirds off the back porch naked.

Not that I would but it means the house has both enough space and privacy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#17]
you've never been to a rural town that has it's own water and sewage treatment facility?

most rural towns do

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#18]
"Rural" is a sliding scale.  You get points in the rural column if you can pee off your deck without attracting attention, shoot guns in your yard, or burn your trash.  You lose points if you don't have a well.  Points are averaged out and you are given a "rural rating".  Simple as that.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

That's not strange at all, location depending
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Basically, the county and the city have municipal water services. The city just charges more for theirs. Something like that.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Could you consider a piece of property to be “rural” if it had a city water connection?
View Quote

I guess you’ll really shit when you find out there’s rural water systems they are t attached to any municipality
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Well water here. Our city water is terrible.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I live in a city and it's illegal to drive a well for personal use. IMO, watering my lawn, filling the pool, washing the car, should not require anyone to pay the city for that pleasure.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#24]
We are fairly rural and have city water.  I talked them into running NG to our street too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Same as we had growing up. On a few acres miles from a grocery store or “town”. People had cows and horses, seems rural enough to me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DavidC:
My water is provided by the local water utility district.  They have two-three employees, one of whom runs the office.  About a year ago, they got the ability to accept CC payments instead of check or cash.  This month they now have a website and will be accepting online payments for a $3.50 service charge.

I'm on septic; no public sewer lines here.  Pretty rural.
View Quote

That sounds just like my TN water district.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:43:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CFII] [#27]
I live on 36 acres in Kentucky. I am 22 minutes on the road from the "City" my address is in.

I have county water, and septic.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#28]
We are fairly rural and have city water.  I talked them into running NG to our street too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Meche_03:
When I was young we only had well water.  The county started developing a rural water district that built wells, water towers , water treatment, and installed water lines along the gravel and dirt roads.    It's called city water by everyone because it comes from a pipe by the road like in the city.  It doesn't come from the city, though it provides water to a few very small towns with a population of 200 or less.
View Quote

We are in a similar situation, we live in an unincorporated part of the county. Our "city" consists of a small post office and the remnants of a long-closed country store. Wells take 12-24 months to get and start at $10k, everyone in my area are on our Utility District's water supply. To explain how rural, I can pee anywhere in my yard, shoot guns anytime and I can literally build a Hobo Camp with a 4 story tower and water park in my yard without even the hint of a permit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#30]
One of the neighboring townships ran water to their residents (no septic.)  I get the impression one of the main reasons is there are out of town folk interested in buying property for vacation homes, and some of the lots were never developed in the past due to well drilling issues.  Farm land is being divided into multiple housing plots.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes.

My hometown, which is in another county, ran water lines from town, to the interstate so that the truck stops and Wendy's could get water. The interstate is 9 miles from town, and 5 miles deep into another county. The houses along the way were offered the ability to hook up to city water. Most did, which is fine by me. I'm on well water, and I'm the only house on the aquifer I'm on, which wasn't discovered until the 1980s when we re-drilled the well. . Everyone else on well water is on another, shallower well. Anyway, yeah, it does happen.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Pretty sure I know of a city that took over a local water system in its county supplying residences not in the city limits. Also, I think I know of a city that annexed the roads right of ways and ran water and sewer down them so when you tied on you had to sign an annexation agreement. The attachment to the right of way made the properties contiguous with the city.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#33]
When I lived in Richland County I had City of Columbia water.  Sewage was a private company.
City water was run by the democrats that hired democrats, so you can imagine how fucked up it is. Summertime during the dry season I was paying $350 a month to water my lawn.  

Sewage was bought out by a bigger company and overnight they doubled the rates. $720 a year for sewage.  I can pump my septic tank now twice a year and still pay less.  
I now have county water service. If I water here all day in the dry season my monthly bill tops out at $45. Normally $30 a month.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:16:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: broncobisley1] [#34]
Depends on the State.

I don't know about other States, but in GA the City has a known service delivery area for water, sewer, emergency services, etc...  A City's service area can and many times extends beyond the City limits.  The City may provide water, but not sewer, etc..  It also depends on the cost of the infrastructure to how far out a City is willing to claim to provide services.  A City's service area can be extended by signing a strategy with other providers in their respective county (including the county if the county is a provider).  This in place to prevent duplication of services and clearly establish where the line of responsibility lies.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:34:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#35]
I'm very rural and have my own well. About a decade ago community water was finally established and I have it as well. Took them at least 20 years to get it up and running. I can turn off the local well or the community water. Either way I'm good to go. To get actual "city" water I'd have to move 50 miles or more. Septic you are own your own. I like having opitons. Sometimes get the after affects of hurricanes and sometimes just bad storms. So many trees here lots of down trees cause a lot of power outages. I have a whole house generator, gas and electric heating and a wood burning insert in the fireplace. Went two weeks without power due to a straight line wind storm that blew down tons of trees locally including the national forest enough that it depressed the timber market for a while. I know the guy down the road spent decades working to get community water put in and it was a huge pain in the ass to get it going.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:07:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#36]
My ranch is 12 miles from the nearest small city, and 5 miles from the tiny town I currently live in.  The county water supply down the county road to 2 hills past me and put in a small water tower (no need for height since it is the tallest hill around.  I suspect they ran the line another mile to the county line, not sure if they continued it past that - it is 3 more miles till my towns water lines would take over.  They ran branches of that main water line down gravel roads.  

While I am in the process of building on my ranch, I can not get another tap into the main water line - it is at capacity...  Which is annoying as hell, as I already have a tap one hill over that I have kept for decades for backup livestock water.  Years go by that I don't take any water from that tap - but it would be a royal pain in the ass to run a private water line from it to my build location (3/8 mile, plus a drop and eventual rise to a higher elevation).  I would need to put in a small cistern and a booster pump before it was over.  Honestly, it would be easy enough just to put in a small cistern near my house, and use a water tote in case of emergencies (and drill another well by the house - as my existing well near the county water tap is not high enough capacity to feed my livestock and a house.

We can get private rural trash pickup - but will be on our own for septic.  I am planning on grid tied solar, probably with a backup generator - but will add enough batteries that I hope most days I will not need to use public power or the generator.  The issue with the solar is simple enough.  In the event of a storm - I am far enough down the wire it might be days before the electricity gets back up.  I had a friend go without power for 3 months.  He was closer to the Gulf, but only 2 or 3 miles outside of a major metro town.  3 miles is a long way when you are at the end of the line for repair service.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:24:51 AM EDT
[#37]
If I had to have city water, I'm living too close to the city. City water is screwed up too easily. Have y'all forgotten the nightmare unleashed by the Flint, MI water system?

I have a well with near-perfect water. I can't say that for the city system.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:33:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
I have the opposite potential.

Well water and septic tank with drain field...but my adjacent town of 12k decided it needed to issue a 62 million dollar bond to replace two primary schools with one new building.

I can't wait for my property to be annexed into the city limits so I get to pay extra taxes for services I'll never use and road maintenance to be ignored by the city instead of the county.
View Quote

I'm 10 miles out. They would have to strike oil or gold to even think of running a system out here.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:04:50 AM EDT
[#39]
A well can be designed to meet your specific needs in regards to quantity and quality of water. Installed on your property, a well can provide adequate amounts of safe drinking water and operate on pennies per day. The pump, tank, and casing should last for many years. When the well is paid for, it will belong to you. That means you are in control of it, since your well is a small, closed system, problems can easily be diagnosed and treated. Always remember this is your well and your water. You control what happens to them and goes
in them.

Public water systems are expensive to build and maintain. Water bills come forever, and consumers have no control over the rates. And since consumers don’t own the water, they don’t have control over its contents. Public systems have to meet established standards, and report those to you. But their water can include additives you may not want to drink. If pipelines are especially long in order to reach the areas and water usage happens to be low, water can become stale. A more serious problem can occur when chlorinated water meshes with organic materials to form gases called trihalomethanes.

Check your water supply here: https://www.ewg.org/tapwater/

https://ordspub.epa.gov/ords/safewater/f
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:26:42 AM EDT
[#40]
City water means not having to screw around with a well. Bung fuck Iowa has connections to county water  that I wished for when lived there.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:30:31 AM EDT
[#41]
We have sewer, not septic... But have wells at the lake cabin

Having a well dug 200ft from a lake us not hard  

Once everyone agreed to sewer, in about 20-30 years everyone's wells tested negative for "stuff" .

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:42:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
County water not city water
View Quote
Where I am as well. County provides water, but not sewer.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Yes but generally it's county water

City I work for has hundreds and hundreds of miles of pipe that goes out into three counties and some rural farm areas
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

So... like Chicago?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

So... like Chicago?
LOL

OK, maybe we need to add some more qualifiers here.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top