Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BUCKSTALKER:

This is solid advice, dual sports are so much fun
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BUCKSTALKER:
Originally Posted By Kanati:
Get a dual sport and avoid the slab as much as you can.

Not too many distracted drivers in the trails and fire access roads in the national forest, miles from cell coverage.

This is solid advice, dual sports are so much fun

True dat.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

Everybody claims they're a better participant than the mean. I'm a much better rider - in a demonstrably less risky endeavor.  

There's a number of strategies to mitigate actuarial risk than merely risk pricing/pooling. But it's one of the most effective because in the end, randomness wins.

If on aggregate, risk is impacting, price or pooling indicates it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/A044386E-2BD9-4ACB-A429-6D90B45CDDD9-202-3209763.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/040_JPG-3209770.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/656C_JPG-3209772.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_0587_JPG-3209774.JPG
You can mitigate risk when riding as well.

View Quote

But in fairness we like a little of the risk ;)
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Too many idiots stoned and or finger fukn their phones for me. Sold my Guzzi in '19. Still have the itch bad but the urge to enjoy family and a long healthy retirement overrides it.

Much safer alternative? Check out the crazy low prices on retractable hardtop NC Miatas right now. Insane! Avoid the transmission issues of the first couple NC model years.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:52:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MallNinja531] [#4]

Not too many distracted drivers in the trails and fire access roads in the national forest, miles from cell coverage.
View Quote

If ever an avatar did NOT check out.
Attachment Attached File

@Kanati
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Before I start to read the responses my reason is:

With the giant LED infotainment screens in addition to smart phones means there’s even more distractions for a greater percentage of drivers than when you last rode or ever before
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:56:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#6]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

View All Quotes

Everybody claims they're a better participant than the mean. I'm a much better rider - in a demonstrably less risky endeavor.  

There's a number of strategies to mitigate actuarial risk than merely risk pricing/pooling. But it's one of the most effective because in the end, randomness wins.

If on aggregate, risk is impacting, price or pooling indicates it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/A044386E-2BD9-4ACB-A429-6D90B45CDDD9-202-3209763.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/040_JPG-3209770.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/656C_JPG-3209772.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_0587_JPG-3209774.JPG
You can mitigate risk when riding as well.

Entirely

Risk drives the challenge. When presented with danger, it focuses the mind. Rolling tight woods single fast, squeezes out the noise. Less so but similar with on tar, esp urban. I benefit from that.

Driving a cage is like watching a movie.

Riding a motorcycle is like being in a move.

@Canoeguy

I'm curious given all the carnage exposed here - have many of your friends, assuming you are social with many riders, bought it, or a small part? If too personal I withdraw the ask.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MallNinja531:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/505993/Screenshot_20240509-185351_png-3209839.JPG

@Kanati
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/505993/Screenshot_20240509-185351_png-3209839.JPG

@Kanati

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Vanquish:

Yup, about half the miles on that bike were mountain miles. Blue ridge parkway, Tail of the Dragon, Cherohaha Skyway etc.
View Quote

Lucky!  (Wishing I lived closer to them)
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#9]
No, you should buy my dual sport - CRF450L
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Hey man - when you read about all these peeps friends who die or are maimed - is it an alien experience for you?

Because I'm trying to figure out if I'm living a charmed life or if my circles competency floor is merely different.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MATTINFAIRBORN:
OP - I can almost guarantee you will be injured.  

The stock seat will probably give you an incredibly sore ass if you do long distance rides.

I've been riding since 1969. I'm 71 but the years fall off while on the bike.  At 16 it was a hard sell to get my mom's OK to buy a bike.  Paid for it with money from my first off-the-farm job.  Can't imagine not riding.  I did the Foothills Parkway (3rd time), Deal's Gap (5th time), and the Cherohala Skyway (4th time) the weekend before last.  Other roads down there are amazing too.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312702/4454618_jpg-3209799.JPG  

Hey man - when you read about all these peeps friends who die or are maimed - is it an alien experience for you?

Because I'm trying to figure out if I'm living a charmed life or if my circles competency floor is merely different.

None of my friends, acquaintances, or co-workers have been killed on a motorcycle.  

One co-worker did a high-side face plant in an open-face helmet at about 100mph back in 1973.  He had a new first-year 1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki.  The 73s had a reputation for high-speed tank slappers.  Head swelled up like a small pumpkin.  Broken jaw, lost teeth, other facial bones broken, scarred up.  Mostly looks like he did before the crash not that he was in any way shape or form handsome before.

I had an out-of-state manager I had never seen face-to-face who lost a leg from the knee down.

So I guess only seeing motorcycle crashes on TV and reading about crashes online makes the concept of getting hurt sort of alien.  I've had a number of close calls but those don't really phase me because almost doesn't hurt.  If there is anything to learn from it file that away and ride on.  The longer I've ridden the fewer the close calls and the less I put myself near someone inattentive or reckless.

I don't have friends that I ride with.  We socialize but I vastly prefer to ride alone no matter where or how far.      
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

The stock seat will probably give you an incredibly sore ass if you do long distance rides.

I've been riding since 1969. I'm 71 but the years fall off while on the bike.  At 16 it was a hard sell to get my mom's OK to buy a bike.  Paid for it with money from my first off-the-farm job.  Can't imagine not riding.  I did the Foothills Parkway (3rd time), Deal's Gap (5th time), and the Cherohala Skyway (4th time) the weekend before last.  Other roads down there are amazing too.  

It doesn't not happen, but I also don't seem to see it with the regularity that others here observe. I've lost two friends who ride, but both to freak things that had nothing to do with traffic statistics.

One got swept off a low water bridge in a flash flood and drowned riding deep in the back country, and the other got shot by some thugs while trying to sell a bike on craigslist.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#12]

@Kanati
View All Quotes

@Kanati
In my defense, we usually have the roads cordoned off.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Do it, but get a naked bike.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Too many good riding roads in that area to not have one.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I will not try and talk you out of it.

On the contrary, I highly recommend it. Ever see a motorcycle outside a shrink’s office?

But you have to decide. You’ve ridden, so you know the risks. Weigh em out, decide.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#16]
But…I am a very alert and cautious rider. I never compete with traffic or individual drivers. If you need to go faster or go around me then I am going to give you space to do so. That is key, let people do their thing and you do yours. I also practice riding skills regularly and really think about how I am riding.
View Quote

That's how I am too.  There's no point in playing chicken with cars.  You can be 100% right by the law but if you get hit by a car you still lose.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#17]

You WILL dump it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

You WILL dump it.
View Quote
At a gas pump in front of pretty girls.  Guaranteed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes

You WILL dump it.

I can stall it, hit the starter, and keep going.  Because when you stall it WILL be in front of an audience.

Once I did that twice after getting checked at the gate to get onto base.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes

You WILL dump it.

LMAO!!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Wife and I rode for 15 years and took a 20 year break until last year.  Our last bikes were KLR650's.  After us dreaming about it for 6 months, last April we bought two new KLR650S's.  Put about 200 miles on them and both came to the conclusion that the spark was gone. The bikes were great but we just didn't get the excitement from the act of riding.   We were lucky and only lost $1000 on each.  I tell myself that at least it wasn't a RV.

My advice is to rent a bike and see if you still have the spark.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By gotigers:
I want a Triumph t100.
View Quote

Me too.
But I've only ever ridden dirt bikes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:55:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#23]
It doesn't not happen, but I also don't seem to see it with the regularity that others here observe. I've lost two friends who ride, but both to freak things that had nothing to do with traffic statistics.

One got swept off a low water bridge in a flash flood and drowned riding deep in the back country, and the other got shot by some thugs while trying to sell a bike on craigslist.
View All Quotes

I'm certainly not suggesting that it doesn't.. I've seen it first hand so no doubt. On the road and in competition.

But none of my pretty wide (global geographic distribution, seriousness, social stratification) group of friends and acquaintances have bought it. A few, including me, have had some pretty bad high speed bang ups, but not on public roads. So I figure awful lucky but I have no means to assess beyond my experience which is why I asked. The common thread I can observe is almost all have significant dirt experience, many pros, tend towards big miles and are always geared.

The only traffic related traumatic amputations relates to an auto fender bender being checked when a drunk hit the rear car, sandwiching the pair checking damage. A number have died in automotive accidents. I've had two friends die at the hands of chainsaws. A few have been shot or suffered blast injuries, immediate or succumbing after some length of time. But none on two wheels besides a BMX race. Just found the many being related well outside my experience so curious. Sucks regardless and I'm sorry for any loss. I did not mean to come off insensitively just a bit shocked.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#24]
My last girlfriend was killed by a drunk riding her bike. People are trying to text and drive nowadays, buy a large truck and wear your seatbelt.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Go to a public gun range. while everyone is shooting, walk down the outside edge of the range to put up your targets. If this is OK with you, get a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By silver-duck:
Go to a public gun range. while everyone is shooting, walk down the outside edge of the range to put up your targets. If this is OK with you, get a motorcycle.
View Quote

I kind of don’t hate this analogy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By silver-duck:
View Quote
Outside edge?  But why?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By nowgrn4:
Too many idiots stoned and or finger fukn their phones for me. Sold my Guzzi in '19. Still have the itch bad but the urge to enjoy family and a long healthy retirement overrides it.

Much safer alternative? Check out the crazy low prices on retractable hardtop NC Miatas right now. Insane! Avoid the transmission issues of the first couple NC model years.
View Quote

This.
Dont wana get vanquished by a soccer mom finger fuckn their cell phone in a SUV
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Everyone worried about what 'could happen' needs to stay indoors.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I sold my Harley and stopped riding about 12 years ago.  This year I got the itch to get in to dual sports and adventure bikes. We have lots of gravel, level B and trails. I wish I would have gotten in to this type of riding long ago. It is insanely fun.  It is slow, technical, and quite the work out.  

Last week though I did buy a Ninja 500 from a friend though to tool around my fairly small town.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I had my bike about a year and a half, just did the old trade the bike for a Jeep thing. I liked it, but I wasn't excited about it, plus all the distracted drivers. I'm really more of a Jeep guy anyway.

Bike.

Jeep.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#32]
It's all about risk vs. reward. You've owned one so you know how much fun they are, nothing like it. And, you know how very dangerous they are, nothing like it.

I rode a lot when I was younger. As my reflexes got slower, and I started to think a little about my mortality, it started to take some of the fun out of it. Plus, as others have said, traffic and the idiocy of phones in cars make it deadly to be on the road in any kind of vehicle.

Last time I was on one, my mind was wandering a little bit and the lady in front of me in a car decided to slam on the brakes and make a hard right turn with no warning whatsoever. I came very close to clipping her left rear as I went into the left lane to avoid her. I handled it very poorly, could have hit her, and could have gotten hammered as I changed lanes so quick. It scared the shit out of me. I was shaking like a leaf when I got off of it, and never got back on. It was a dual sport Suzuki. I miss it sometimes, but not enough to seriously think about another one. I'm done.

I sort of compromised and bought a quick little convertible. It ain't the same, but it is a blast, and fits where I am now.

Everybody is different. Risk vs reward.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By djkest:

I recently found out there are hundreds of people driving around Colorado fresh from Guatamala and Venezuala with no license, insurance, or even driving experience, driving unsafe unregistered vehicles on the roads.
View Quote

I’m headed to Colorado this year to do a riding vacation. It’s going to be a blast!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JDennis:
I sold my Harley and stopped riding about 12 years ago.  This year I got the itch to get in to dual sports and adventure bikes. We have lots of gravel, level B and trails. I wish I would have gotten in to this type of riding long ago. It is insanely fun.  It is slow, technical, and quite the work out.  

Last week though I did buy a Ninja 500 from a friend though to tool around my fairly small town.
View Quote

Meh…dual sports are kind of a dud. There is never anything exciting like cross walks and freeways.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#35]

My leg looked the same but the ankle was dangling around. The hardware is still in my leg to prove it.

But I'd hop back on a bike in a heartbeat.... if I wanted a fast divorce.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#36]

That looks amazing, what’s the story on that trip?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#37]

That looks amazing, what’s the story on that trip?
View Quote

Well part was a trip from Virginia to Panama, part was the Trans-America Trail, and part was West Virginia. I will let you guess which pic was WV and which was Guatemala.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By RTOinIraq:
I forget the actual % but most motorcycle accidents are from drinking/drug use and speeding/riding above you skill level. So, if you stay away from those things, your chances of crashing go way down.

I rode in my 20s, took a break, and just got back into 2 years ago. I love it. I always wear my gear. I say go for it.
View Quote

The amount of people that drink and ride without a single care disgust me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't buy it OP. Death by snusnu is a real thing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Recently I’ve been kind of wanting to buy a bike. It’s been over 10 years since I’ve owned one, and now I’m getting the itch to ride again. Please tell me why this is a bad idea, I’m not getting any kind of real resistance from my wife. Haha

Pic of my last bike. I only had it for about 2-1/2 years but during that time I put almost 16k miles on it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58041/IMG_0985_jpeg-3209636.JPG

View Quote

Well, I can’t tell you to not buy a bike but I will tell you to not buy another sport bike. The naked and supernakeds are almost as good/fast as a dedicated sportbike and you don’t have to fold up to fit on them-I have 9 bikes in the garage between my wife and I, most of mine are hardcore high end big bore sport bikes…. I’ll keep one or two of them, but I actually enjoy riding my wife’s Street Triple 765RS more than my own bikes 90% of the time. Hell, one of my bikes is an R1M and outside of being on the way into, in the middle, or coming out of a corner i would ALWAYS rather be on something else.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By gotigers:
I want a Triumph t100.
View Quote

Funny thread.
My Bonnie T100 has been sitting for years. Finally pulled it out and started working on it.  My spark plugs arrive tomorrow.  Got some Gumout and Seafoam.  Just pulled the tank and will hit the carbs this weekend.  

I'll probably just ride it around the cul-de-sac.  I don't have much desire to ride anymore with all of the distracted drivers.   Jeep Wrangler FTW.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Can't  talk you out of it.  Just bought a Harley soft tail heritage classic so......
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:40:31 PM EDT
[#43]
None of us get out of here alive.

Life is short, buy the bike.

I’m actually pissed off I wasted a good 20 years in my prime not riding, because I sold my first one in ‘95 after listening to everyone saying I would die on it.

11 years ago I said enough is enough, I want a Harley. I bought one , and now I’m on my third one and 70k miles later I can’t get enough.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By panthermark:

Funny thread.
My Bonnie T100 has been sitting for years. Finally pulled it out and started working on it.  My spark plugs arrive tomorrow.  Got some Gumout and Seafoam.  Just pulled the tank and will hit the carbs this weekend.  

I'll probably just ride it around the cul-de-sac.  I don't have much desire to ride anymore with all of the distracted drivers.   Jeep Wrangler FTW.

View Quote

Scrambler master race checking in...

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Warspite:
I've been itching for a motorcycle lately, but am getting serious resistance from wife.gov. I've never ridden, and I'm not getting any younger. (I'm 51)
View Quote

Many of us have been riding all our lives. I started riding at age 16 and, 52 years later, I'm still riding. I'm confident that my two-wheeled sixth sense will keep me from harm -- but it's still a risk.

To be honest, you're not in the right age bracket to be a new rider. Insurance company actuaries will tell you that you are an extremely high risk.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:54:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#46]
Originally Posted By gearsmithy:

Scrambler master race checking in...

https://i.imgur.com/BxO65xz.jpg
View Quote

Classic master race checking in

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

I’m straight up about that-I’m a much bigger risk to myself on a motorcycle than the drivers around me. But there are times to Go and times to Woah, and nobody gets to 34 years of street riding in one piece without being a little proficient and exercising discretion about when to go fast or let discretion be the better part of valor.

I personally haven’t noticed drivers being more dangerous over the decades, but it might just be that I’m used to it and ride defensively anyway.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#48]

Classic master race checking in

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/IMG_5304_jpeg-3210052.JPG
View Quote

No pre-unit no care
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#49]
I heard an ER nurse say, "the only thing more dangerous than a ladder is a motorcycle"
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By gearsmithy:

No pre-unit no care
View Quote

Lol, nice. And now we have left 98% of the thread behind.
Page / 6
Top Top