Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Easy solution. Cutting the cable creates a fatal arc.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:51:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tacticalcows] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jm0502:
Easy solution, leave the cables charged
View Quote

Doesn’t work. I’ve had them take live loaded cables off of generators powering cell towers. Saw the aftermath of someone hooking a truck to the building conductors of a medium voltage ground mounted transformer one time.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Paul:
Crime seems awful high there.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:29:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#4]
TUV listed equipment. Not under any building type electrical code book chart on cable sizing. Like someone mentioned probably close to a 3/0 cable with 90 degree connections and a short cable length on a designed listed product. Maybe something like a fine stranded W nope say one of the E type out of the list flexible cable or integral part of the listed equipment.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By toby1:
Curious how much copper is in one of those cables?
View Quote

Probably zero, mostly likely coated aluminum strands.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Trout_Hunter:
I’ll always blame the hurricane.
View Quote

Houston’s Problem.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#7]
The manatees are stepping up their unplugging campaign bigly
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:45:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#8]
Originally Posted By AR15Texan:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR15Texan:
Originally Posted By toby1:
Curious how much copper is in one of those cables?

Made me look it up.  Some are Al, most are Cu.

Looks like a high value target for those so inclined.

Attachment Attached File

The cable terminations at least on the plug end would need to be soldered, so copper would be ideal there.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Low hanging fruit. Easy picking but not worth it.  Underground services to commercial businesses is where the real copper thieves make it.

This one was over 250 feet of service entrance to the front of the property.
They pulled the light company fuses and chopped the pipe on the front and back, then pulled it out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
Easy to fix, just have each charging station have a receptacle not a cable.
Then each gay electric car owner can bring their own charging cable to plug into their car and the charging receptacle.
View Quote

It’s Houston, they will just steal the cables while the owner is cowering inside the car.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

There are good areas and there are bad areas; but the crime is nothing like California.  The turning point was the Katrina  Hurricane refugees.

Houston also suffered from crooked elections. The State of Texas pulled the authority of Harris County Election Administrator to run elections and transferred it to the Tax Collector Assessor while placing them under heighten scrutiny from the State of Texas.

Another turning point was the hiring of Los Angles’ old Chief of Police. Prior to him coming on board criminals feared the HPD and HCSO.  The cops there use to be no bull shit types. They would just as soon as fight you as arrest you. You did not pick a fight with them because it was a sure bet you were going to get an ass beating before you went to jail.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By XJ:

It's Houston, they will just steal the cables while the owner is cowering inside the car.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By XJ:
Then each gay electric car owner can bring their own charging cable to plug into their car and the charging receptacle.

It's Houston, they will just steal the cables while the owner is cowering inside the car.
Or steal a backhoe to knock over and load the entire charger like they were doing with ATMs for a while.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I am sure Art's stay as Chief of Police helped out the redistribution of wealth as well.  He destroyed the Austin police department (with intent).
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I always thought like a RV the cable should be in the car just a outlet on the charger.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:14:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#15]
Originally Posted By 1245xx:
The ohm is futile.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:17:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Palm] [#16]
How hard would it be to issue a bolo and arrest the dork that shows up with the cable to the recycle center? I suppose as difficult as asking people where they come up with 8-12 catalytic converters everyday with freshly cut pipe ends attached. How much is the catalytic converter on one of them there EVs cost?

I have no training as a thief or a cop nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn recently.

View Quote

The scrap yards require a scrap card ID to get paid in cash. You have to apply for it and it takes a couple of weeks to receive it while they do a background check to verify your credentials.

If you don’t have one they will only pay you with a check. They also require a government issued ID that they scan in, take your picture, and scan in your finger print.  The vehicle license plates you arrived in is also recorded.

As for vehicle scrapping you need the title with the VIN number.

All of the State of Texas efforts to reduce scrap related crime does no good if you drive across the border into Louisiana or Arkansas.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DDDDCheapAF:

This really sums up just how stupid the average leftist is . Take guns away because our government loves us . Let all of the third world in because they love America. My favorite of the morning, Trump supporting thieves , being the asshole taxpayers and largely law abiding group that they are,  have stolen Tesla charging cables in Houston so they can leave the unwitting dimwitted leftist stranded.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DDDDCheapAF:
Originally Posted By Texaspyro21:
Funny you say that. The news station interviewed someone that claimed it was Trump supporters trying to strand environmentalists.

This really sums up just how stupid the average leftist is . Take guns away because our government loves us . Let all of the third world in because they love America. My favorite of the morning, Trump supporting thieves , being the asshole taxpayers and largely law abiding group that they are,  have stolen Tesla charging cables in Houston so they can leave the unwitting dimwitted leftist stranded.

It's not necessarily stupidity... it's tribalism. If something happens that they don't like, they HAVE to blame it on people they are opposed to. They imagine and invent the scenario(s) that fit their hatred.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Its_Raining_Lead:
Easy solution. Cutting the cable creates a fatal arc.
View Quote

The lawyers would line up for a piece of that action.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#19]
They aren’t selling it. They hate Elon and EVs.

So either a liberal or half of GD, so a liberal.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Palm:

There are good areas and there are bad areas; but the crime is nothing like California.  The turning point was the Katrina  Hurricane refugees.

Houston also suffered from crooked elections. The State of Texas pulled the authority of Harris County Election Administrator to run elections and transferred it to the Tax Collector Assessor while placing them under heighten scrutiny from the State of Texas.

Another turning point was the hiring of Los Angles’ old Chief of Police. Prior to him coming on board criminals feared the HPD and HCSO.  The cops there use to be no bull shit types. They would just as soon as fight you as arrest you. You did not pick a fight with them because it was a sure bet you were going to get an ass beating before you went to jail.
View Quote

Also, as much of a prick Rosenthal may have been, he had zero compunction about throwing the book at criminals when he was D.A.  Houston used to be a place where crime was bad, in parts of town that unless you were going to Cougar High, you had no reason to be in.  Now, the bad is everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By hugh1:

3/0 will only handle 262 amps according to one chart I see and the charger says 350 amps. And 4/0 does not even get to that rating but close.
View Quote

I work on 3 different major brands daily. Trust me, the primary conductors are 3/0. AC in is usually 500. In the ones I work on it is all copper, no aluminium.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Someone could make bait cables and make them hot all the time. Criminals would cut them and then get fried.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#23]
They don’t call it Hustle Town for nuthin!
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#24]
And why WOULDN'T they steal them?  It's not like they'd serve time or anything.

There is literally no downside to crime these days.  (unless you're white and conservative -- then they'll make up crimes and say you committed them)
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I wonder how much metal is in speed ticket cameras?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 1245xx:
The ohm is futile.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:35:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fsjdw2] [#27]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
Retractable (locking) cables on the charger would be a better design.......
View Quote

Video cameras and bag limits would be cheaper. “Theft after dark” in Texas and all…

(Bag limits only because it would make people work harder, “poaching” wouldnt actually be enforced)
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Collecting their severance pay from the recent layoffs.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By jm0502:
Easy solution, leave the cables charged
View Quote

My first thought.

Dumb enough to cut live cable?

Darwin is waiting for you.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:53:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LowBeta] [#31]
Funny you say that. The news station interviewed someone that claimed it was Trump supporters trying to strand environmentalists.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DVCER:
It's not theft.   It's a protest.

Save big oil.

This picture  will be exploited to support that theory...

https://twitter.com/KPRC2Gil/status/1788652058649723311?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1788652058649723311%7Ctwgr%5E433afe96cddc9cb277dafee2d96b5ad20909e2b5%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.click2houston.com%2Fnews%2Flocal%2F2024%2F05%2F10%2Fthieves-hit-four-tesla-supercharger-stations-in-houston-area-this-week%2F
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Palm:
Houston never disappoints.
View Quote

Now THAT...is absolutely no bullshit for sure.
Sad what's been happening for far too long.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By gitarmac:
I wonder how much metal is in speed ticket cameras?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Thieves suck.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#35]
The store that station was at closed so likely no security.  That being said I've seen non-Tesla charging stations go tits up lately
due to copper theft.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By hugh1:

3/0 will only handle 262 amps according to one chart I see and the charger says 350 amps. And 4/0 does not even get to that rating but close.
View Quote
The cables are relatively sort so I imagine they are applying the tap rule to size cables
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#37]
How hard would it be to issue a bolo and arrest the dork that shows up with the cable to the recycle center? I suppose as difficult as asking people where they come up with 8-12 catalytic converters everyday with freshly cut pipe ends attached. How much is the catalytic converter on one of them there EVs cost?

I have no training as a thief or a cop nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn recently.

View Quote

R U serious?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WWIIWMD:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mCbNDVp/0/FNkgH3WVsZLJxcqxhKdRNtQkzb98CCZHxWDGrJnc2/O/i-mCbNDVp.jpg

Some of you guys flip the retard switch in your brains when it comes to EVs. Ok, so according to this flyer, it uses about 50 gallons of fuel to get the materials for a vehicle that can drive hundreds of thousands of miles powered by the sun.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SilverBearX:

Some of you guys flip the retard switch in your brains when it comes to EVs. Ok, so according to this flyer, it uses about 50 gallons of fuel to get the materials for a vehicle that can drive hundreds of thousands of miles powered by the sun.
View All Quotes

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mCbNDVp/0/FNkgH3WVsZLJxcqxhKdRNtQkzb98CCZHxWDGrJnc2/O/i-mCbNDVp.jpg

How much of our power is generated by solar? How is power generated when the sun doesn't shine? How well does battery anything work in cold weather (especially if my LI powered cordless tools are any indication)?

Other than a few "minor concerns" EV's are wonderful!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:04:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By diesel1:

How much of our power is generated by solar? How is power generated when the sun doesn't shine? How well does battery anything work in cold weather (especially if my LI powered cordless tools are any indication)?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By diesel1:

Ok, so what? Stuff like what was posted is dumb.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By syclone170:
I’ll have a coke
View Quote

and a smile...
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Leave those lines powered and they won't do it again.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#43]
As of yesterday, bare bright copper is $4.12/lb in Denver.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By LArifleMAN:
As of yesterday, bare bright copper is $4.12/lb in Denver.
View Quote

Holy cow that is high.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Copper theft is (obviously) super rampant in Houston.
I see it happen all the time at work, for many years. I have yet to see anyone get busted.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

The motivated scros will strip it to bare copper, for full value.
View Quote

Easier to just burn it off.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

My first thought as well.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:13:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: just-mike] [#48]
Originally Posted By GaryM:
Leave those lines powered and they won't do it again.
View Quote

You would be amazed....
ETA: look at TEXASROOTERSBROTHER's post above.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By just-mike:

Copper theft is (obviously) super rampant in Houston.
I see it happen all the time at work, for many years. I have yet to see anyone get busted.
View Quote

Not with a charging station, but with street lights.  Didn’t happen on my watch, but the late bro tried cutting the copper wife out of street light conduit.  Fried Spam.  Course, some murders over misappropriation of funds related to selling copper between amigos.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Gloftoe:

Which is the way it should have been in the first place. Large lengths of sellable copper will always get stolen.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gloftoe:

Which is the way it should have been in the first place. Large lengths of sellable copper will always get stolen.

Well it sure is obviously an issue.  But would it really solve anything?  Once the thieves figure out that people are storing their charging cables in their trunk, Tesla breakins may increase.  Hell, easier to break into the trunk than go to the trouble of cutting that cable off, I'd bet.

Also, are the Tesla chargers capable of detecting when the cable is removed, sending a notification that it is out of service?  Be a bitch to roll up to a charger only to find out that its out of order, despite the Tesla app saying its okay to use.
Page / 3
Top Top