Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CouchCommando22:

Shabbat are the best. It is like a party every Friday
View Quote

Challah bread for Shabbat... then Challah French toast on Saturday.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:32:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#2]
I'm not Jewish though have some Ashkenazi ancestors. We were invited to a seder last year. It was a great time and the wine was free. Supposedly not everyone believes it's acceptable to invite non Jews but it wasn't an issue.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Not Jewish.  I'm Christian.  

Go, OP.  We worship the same God.  We are allies in the Great Struggle.  In a very real sense, Abraham is the father of Christianity as well as Judaism.  It's all in the OT.  Jesus was born a Jew.

I have also been to Israel.  One of the best trips I have ever made.

Go.

Go.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Sandbowl1980:
Are guys still required to get circumcised in order to join
View Quote

Maybe only the progressive parts of Judaism, but they pin prick the wee wee and get a drop of blood, that's it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 56xdx_Z:

Maybe only the progressive parts of Judaism, but they pin prick the wee wee and get a drop of blood, that's it.
View Quote

There is reform, orthodox and Hasidic. The reform don’t care. I garden and work around the house on Saturday. I am a farmer and don’t have the time to not get stuff done. We also go to Church on Sunday.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I think OP should go...

I'm not a people person, but seriously believe we need to break bread with others - in order to create connections, understanding, etc.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SeanTX:
I didn't think Jews recruited.
View Quote

We don’t, we just ask you to snip the tip if you want to join and are serious.

OP you will have fun, and may get a bit fahschnickered of some manischvitz.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Beamy:
Our daughter's occupational therapist is heavily involved in her synagogue and invited us to a service.

Wife and I while not really practicing are Christian, wife was brought up Baptist, I was brought up Lutheran.

Should we go or is that more for something only for members of the tribe
View Quote

Salvation was meant first for the Jews...Jesus said so as well as the apostles...only when He was rejected did salvation comes to the gentile...so yeah go...learn about it...our religious roots are there...salvation however only comes from Jesus Christ and no one else.

If you do not believe in the God of Abraham,Isaac and Jacob why bother going unless its to score points?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
Judaism is waning in the west (Frankly, all organized religion is), so it wouldn't surprise me if they're starting to change their tune on that. I'd only consider going to an orthodox one myself, but that's a personal opinion.
View Quote

Not sure you understand how orthodox we can get.  

It takes a special commitment to the old traditions and ways of the orthodox, it is not something for even every Jewish person.

My grandparents lived in a VERY orthodox neighborhood, there were 10 temples with in a 3 square mile area.  All of the orthodox would line the streets every Shabot.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DrKlahn:

Not sure you understand how orthodox we can get.  

It takes a special commitment to the old traditions and ways of the orthodox, it is not something for even every Jewish person.

My grandparents lived in a VERY orthodox neighborhood, there were 10 temples with in a 3 square mile area.  All of the orthodox would line the streets every Shabot.  

View Quote
I didn't mean I'd convert. Just that if an orthodox invited me to their temple, I'd check it out. Liberal Judaeism disinterests me as much as Liberal Christian sects. While I disagree with the orthodox on much, I can appreciate their preservation of tradition, instead of the perversion of it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:28:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:
Why would a Supreme Being, Creator of the universe care what you wore on your head, or not?

I went to a community/vineyard (not sure what they call them now. Got the band up there playing background music for parts of the sermon) because my daughter asked me to come see her baptized.

My skin was crawling with the cringeworthy songs, the (as mentioned) band putting musical effects a la Jim Breuer,  the darkened audience area with lighting. The passing of the plate after a brief story about how your money will be better spent by the church than you.

Grew up in a Baptist school. Pretty sure that sunday triggered some childhood ptsd.
View Quote

Lol, we just invite you out a good time, maybe ask you if you need a good lawyer or a doctor. 😂

You would never see a plate passed at a temple, you will be passed a bowl of matzah ball soup at dinner.

Typically, if you want to join a temple there is a membership ship of a donation.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting, I’d heard MOT be used among gays in the mid-90’s as identifying each other. As in, if you were gay, you were a member of the tribe. Can’t say I’ve ever heard it used for Jewish people.

I learned something today!  

Wait, maybe they were all gay and Jewish and I just misunderstood…
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#13]

@CowboyGunner

I figured you'd show up to this thread

From what I can gather it's a reformed congregation

The lady who invited us married into the faith, she was an Italian Catholic originally
View Quote

Sounds like my aunt.  We had Hanukkah and Christmas growing up
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:38:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By pale_pony:
I once said the drunkest I had even gotten was at a Catholic wedding

My Jewish friends took my words as an open challenge
View Quote

Wait till you to a Bar/Bat-Mitzvah!

Hell,  I was drunk at my own!

I slurred my way through the candle lighting ceremony badly.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:58:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#15]
Originally Posted By DrKlahn:

Sounds like my aunt.  We had Hanukkah and Christmas growing up
View Quote

My mom converted to Judaism when I was 15. I had Christmas and Hanukkah, too. She even had me sign her Ketubah as a witness when she remarried.

That was a heck of an after party.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#16]
FPNI. If she didn't want for you to feel welcome she probably wouldn't have invited you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I try to experience different religions.

Preferably non killing types.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:04:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By SeanTX:
I didn't think Jews recruited.
View Quote

The Jewish frat on my college campus tried recruiting me twice.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:07:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By BuddyChryst:

Wait, maybe they were all gay and Jewish and I just misunderstood…
View Quote

Barbra Streisand has to get her fans somewhere
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:44:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: neshomamench] [#20]
Jews do not recruit.

There is a near 100% chance this is a Reform Temple (or some similar thing like Reconstructionist).  They are usually welcoming of visitors but again, dont recruit.

The reality is, it will not be an authentic traditional Jewish experience.  It will be a very watered down social event that uses some Jewish themes but is fairly modern.   It may be enjoyable but it is not traditional Judaism.  The services resemble a protestant service more than a traditional Jewish one.  You wont understand most of the songs or prayers, but the structure and sermon will be somewhat familiar.  

A traditional service (some form of Orthodox) would be utterly alien to people. It simply does not resemble anything people are used to in the west and there is little English.  (This is much more like the Judaism that Jesus would have practiced)   While it happens for various reasons, non Jews are not usually invited to Orthodox Synagogues services.

An unknown person usually gets questioned. Seriously, the Jewish version of this happens and it is hard to fake.  Between your pedegree and Jewish resume, people will keep asking questions until there is a connection made (someone knows someone you know or are related to)  or obvious Jewishness is demonstrated.  

Undercover Brother - Blackness Confirmed

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:45:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HecklerKac] [#21]
Lol
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:46:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:
Not Jewish.  I'm Christian.  

Go, OP.  We worship the same God.  We are allies in the Great Struggle.  In a very real sense, Abraham is the father of Christianity as well as Judaism.  It's all in the OT.  Jesus was born a Jew.

I have also been to Israel.  One of the best trips I have ever made.

Go.

Go.
View Quote

Up until someone says Christ is king
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:09:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By pilatuspilot:

I absolutely don’t mean this confrontationally but I’d want nothing to do with any church who didn’t want me. Every church I’ve ever been to openly welcomes everyone. I’ve been to services for other religions. I didn’t participate in their practices/sacraments but I respectfully went and observed. Every Godly church wants everyone to come in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pilatuspilot:
Originally Posted By CowboyGunner:
@Beamy

Tim, should go and just see what it is all about.
Personally, I am curious if she is reformed (likely), conservative, or orthodox (not likely)
Take Mrs Beamy and be open to the experience. Something different.

I go to church with my new wife.
Honestly I thought I would burst into flames as a Jew in a church. But it is not so bad. I kinda like the old testament stuff.

G-d is all around us. I can't hurt to see some other perspectives.

If they read from the Torah in Hebrew, you will be lost, I know I would.

And if you don't like it, don't go back. If someone gets pushy, excuse yourselves and don't go back.
Accept this for what is is, a pleasant invitation to try something different.

I absolutely don’t mean this confrontationally but I’d want nothing to do with any church who didn’t want me. Every church I’ve ever been to openly welcomes everyone. I’ve been to services for other religions. I didn’t participate in their practices/sacraments but I respectfully went and observed. Every Godly church wants everyone to come in.

My dumb joke was meant to convey that I literally had no idea what to expect or what I would experience.
Everytime I have gone, it has been a most welcoming and comforting experience.
And truly, I like hearing the old testament sermons.
I go because it is important to my wife, and it helps me to understand her better. Nothing wrong with learning the Bible and hearing the word of G-d.
She also knows I have no interest in converting.
It's all good.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:13:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CowboyGunner] [#24]

@CowboyGunner

The lady who invited us married into the faith, she was an Italian Catholic originally
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CowboyGunner:
@Beamy

Tim, should go and just see what it is all about.
Personally, I am curious if she is reformed (likely), conservative, or orthodox (not likely)
Take Mrs Beamy and be open to the experience. Something different.

I go to church with my new wife.
Honestly I thought I would burst into flames as a Jew in a church. But it is not so bad. I kinda like the old testament stuff.

G-d is all around us. I can't hurt to see some other perspectives.

If they read from the Torah in Hebrew, you will be lost, I know I would.

And if you don't like it, don't go back. If someone gets pushy, excuse yourselves and don't go back.
Accept this for what is is, a pleasant invitation to try something different.

@CowboyGunner

@Beamy
And hear I am, an Italian Jew.
Genuine Sicilian blood coursing through my veins, yet my mother is Jewish, and by law, so am I.
Truth is I was raised with both just not devout or practicing or unusually observant.
BTW it was always great having Christmas and Chanukah. But I think Christmas is better.
YMMV
YOLO

ETA
I didn't have a Hebrew name until the age of 40 - Gershem Ben Yosef, Gary son of Joseph.
I needed it to say a blessing over the Torah for my nephew's Bar Mitzvah.
I myself was not Bar Mitzvah'd, as I chose not to go to Hebrew school(like all of my friends did) - I hated school, any school, that much.
I do now regret my childish decision. I wish I could read, or speak, or understand Hebrew or Yiddish more than I do...it would be a connection to my family. Oh well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:06:44 AM EDT
[#25]
It's worth the cultural experience. I've been to a couple.

A reform temple will likely not have a lot of people wearing head coverings. It'll be pretty easy going. You'll understand everything and Jews don't sing a whole lot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:23:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By OscarD:

To be one, ask one.
View Quote

Do you get to learn a secret handshake and a whole new way to look at goats?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:25:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Our daughter's occupational therapist is heavily involved in her synagogue and invited us to a service.

Wife and I while not really practicing are Christian, wife was brought up Baptist, I was brought up Lutheran.

Should we go or is that more for something only for members of the tribe
View Quote

Go, take advantage of the opportunity to learn something. It really will expand your mind.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:27:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chisum] [#28]
dupe.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

My mom converted to Judaism when I was 15. I had Christmas and Hanukkah, too. She even had me sign her Ketubah as a witness when she remarried.

That was a heck of an after party.
View Quote

We do both Christmas and Hanukkah.

I grew up as a practicing Jew. Later in life I became a very dedicated Christian, but I am rediscovering my Jewish roots with each day. I love the tradition and dedication to God. So many Christians are just church goers and their connection to God begins and ends at the door to church.

We just started doing Shabbat as a family less than a year ago. We had always celebrated Passover, but I felt something inside me pulling me back my Jewish roots. I think it is all the antisemitism. I started wearing my Yamaha more and more. Kind of like, try that crap with me and see what happens. I am not not some soy boy college kid and I will fight to the death.

Shalom

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top