Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:30:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Reason #187 why I hate  my State Government.  Fuck Gavin Newsom and Rob Bonta.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:09:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

I had the prototype HUX can that the was in the running. It was nice, but that sound is going somewhere (forward)

I understand their mentality is a hearing safety company, but pushing the noise at your target is negating one of the main useful benefits of a suppressor.... hiding your location.

It's all trade offs no matter what you do.
View Quote

I see your out of Texas, have you taken any firearms courses out there?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:39:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#3]
Are you running subsonic 6.5 creedmoor?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:44:07 AM EDT
[#4]

I have fat fingers and my new cell phone keeps changing all kinds of shit.

Also engineers are known for piss poor grammer.

If a missing space is all you got, then you got me. I'm not writing with a mechicanical pencil or keyboard so I don't care.

If you're a Dr, why can't you write a thing anyone can actually read (on paper)?
View Quote

Ouch...
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:58:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#5]
Originally Posted By VillageIdiot2:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VillageIdiot2:

I had the prototype HUX can that the was in the running. It was nice, but that sound is going somewhere (forward)

I understand their mentality is a hearing safety company, but pushing the noise at your target is negating one of the main useful benefits of a suppressor.... hiding your location.

It's all trade offs no matter what you do.

No.

I really want to do Todd Hodnett's though.

All the civilian classes I've taken are "too easy" and are like a refresher course. The cool advanced ones require current .mil and LEO status. Best ones I've done were fighting around vehicles with cops and a NVG class. There was one with a old school GM from USPSA that was really fun.

Honestly I think you learn more at shooting competitions. There's an awesome range in NC that puts on some good 360 NVG competitions. Have a great rifle rated shoot house. Most of the guys that attend that won't tell you who they are. Most there have lots of issued stuff they get to take home somehow. Like the guy shooting a fun match with a PSQ-36

I'm not pretending to be a ninja here, but most shooting classes are so dumbed down .... there's been a few that I had to change positions on the firing line out of fear of being shot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:53:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#6]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

I’m not wasting that much time dissecting every point for a dude who wrote “supersonic ammo makes suppressors worthless.”  

If you truly own 2 dozen cans and have that opinion, nothing I say is going to alter your viewpoint.  It does beg the question why you’d keep buying cans if that’s your thought process, but I’m not sure your answer to that one is going to make any more sense than the rest of your posts.

In summation, keep on keepin on with the nonsense.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Glocked:
Shooting suppressed is overrated unless you have the right caliber, ammo & gun.

It’s usually only overrated if you have unrealistic expectations.

The truth about suppressed is a very selfish one. In reality a suppressor solves very few issues, it actually causes more. I'd rather put all the tax stamps and money spent on suppressors into more guns. If I could only keep 2, it would .22lr and 9mm. Those two are still my favorites.

If anyone else is shooting unsuppressed, your suppressor is worthless. If your ammo is supersonic you suppressor is worthless. 22lr and 300 blackout is the only enjoyable thing I've shot suppressed. 9mm is too, if you have the correct ammo. 6.5 is also nice for a limited round count if Noone else is shooting unsurpressed.

Most of what you just said is nonsense.

Why?

Everything is from the perspective of shooting outdoors and still needing ears.

Explain what is nonsense.

I’m not wasting that much time dissecting every point for a dude who wrote “supersonic ammo makes suppressors worthless.”  

If you truly own 2 dozen cans and have that opinion, nothing I say is going to alter your viewpoint.  It does beg the question why you’d keep buying cans if that’s your thought process, but I’m not sure your answer to that one is going to make any more sense than the rest of your posts.

In summation, keep on keepin on with the nonsense.

Shooting suppressed is cool, and helps communitiocation while shooting with others. So I kept suppressing all my guns.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:00:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#7]

I’ve literally never had a suppressor increase recoil.  Ever.  I also don’t have wildly overgassed guns, so maybe that’s playing a part.

Also, stop buying super high backpressure cans, or tune your gun with a part or two to mitigate the increased backpressure.

Your opinions are just that…..opinions.  They also suck.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mblades:
Originally Posted By Mblades:
Originally Posted By Teller_Ulam:
Dudes that say "you still need hearing protection" are missing the point. My nearest neighbor is about 100 yards away through a bunch of oaks. I like to shoot in my yard alot. The neighbor could either experience loud gunshots all afternoon, which would make me a bad neighbor.  Instead he hears a distant muffled snap, that may or may not be a gunshot. I'm a good neighbor.  It also makes the rifle a much more effective home defense weapon. And it's a lot more fun.  Yes it's expensive and the stamp sucks, but to me it's worth it.

I think the still need ear pro thing comes from people that don’t shoot much. I like to shoot these local gas gun matches with fairly high round counts and having to shoot under an awning with a braked 308, I feel like I have cotton in my ears at the end of the day and that’s with plugs and electronic muffs. With a silencer I can use just plugs and feel no different at the end of the day.

Also wearing ear muffs is miserable in the summer.

Lol

Hearing protection is actually based on cumulative noise. It's OK to subject yourself to xyz over a period of time, but not too much at once. The safe range of persistent noise is much less than the safe dB range of periodic.

I've shot more in a 2 hour period with suppressed guns than many wil shoot in a few years.

Suppressors benefit neighbors and bystanders far more than the shooter and weapon in a "fun" environment.

I find many who already have significant hearing loss are the ones who think shooting suppressed supersonic ammo is fine, but fail to tell them about that persistent ringing they hear in a quiet room.

I’m struggling to understand what point you are trying to make.

The biggest advantages to suppressors aren't for YOU.

The people around you might like it better, and the people looking at your guns might think they are cooler.

In the long run, you spent more $$$, your gun is less reliable, it is generally less comfortable to shoot, and not a thing about your shooting has changed, except now you also have more recoil.

Shoot a USPSA stage with suppressed 9mm, halfway through a 32rd course of fire you *might* be lucky enough to still see through the reddot.

I’ve literally never had a suppressor increase recoil.  Ever.  I also don’t have wildly overgassed guns, so maybe that’s playing a part.

Also, stop buying super high backpressure cans, or tune your gun with a part or two to mitigate the increased backpressure.

Your opinions are just that…..opinions.  They also suck.

A suppressor will overgass every full auto or semi auto gun you put it on. I call bullshit, or maybe you were blinded by the coolness of your suppressor. Why does a barely functioning semi auto work better with a can? I'm pretty sure there are a few fluid dynamics equations that will back up my arguement.

My flash suppressing muzzlebreak goes from effective to worthless with a suppressor. The bolts velocity has increased, the gas sent through the system has increased leaking out every place it can find. Yes the gas pressure is pushing forward on the can, but now you've changed the recoil impulse and caused more backpressure. Every action as an equal and opposit reaction. The force forward on the can is just increasing bolt speed. But F=mc^2 when that bolt slams backwards.

Even a vented can on a bolt action will change how the gun acts

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:33:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TracksideWrong] [#8]
Suppression fucking rocks! At least for me it does.

Do people have conflicting opinions and experiences with suppression? Yep. That doesn't mean either side is wrong, it either works for you or it does not. If you don't enjoy it, it does not makes those of us that do idiots.

Does it have tradeoffs? Of course, and you can often mitigate those tradeoffs with a little work, which can also add to the fun of the hobby for those of us that like to tinker with our firearms.

Can it makes shooting more enjoyable for everyone? Absolutely.

But conversely a poorly tuned firearm with a suppressor can be uncomfortable for the shooter, especially a newer, inexperienced shooter or one not as familiar with shooting suppressed. I can give an example of that, My friends girlfriend tried my 11.5" 5.56mm AR the very first time I tried his can to see if I really wanted to go down this road. Needless to say I had obviously not tuned it yet and it was sending a good amount of gas back in your face, it didn't bother me at all as I am an experienced shooter and have a higher tolerance for gas to the face, but for her it was not pleasant at all and after a few rounds she handed it back.

Now for another example with the exact same rifle after I added a BRT gas tube, an H3 buffer and a Sprinco red spring. My wife who utterly hated shooting this rifle before the can, now actually enjoys shooting it and does well with it due to the greatly reduced noise and blast. And the rifle has thousands of rounds through it without a broken part or malfunction, even when it is unbelievably filthy dirty and fouled. It also functions perfectly fine without the suppressor on it, though I rarely shoot it that way. I also don't mind shooting it without hearing protection when I'm out in the desert by myself, though I try not to make a habit of it because I am one of those guys with hearing loss and terrible tinnitus in my right ear, but it really is tolerable for me. I wouldn't even dream of shooting this rifle with out the can and no hearing protection.

I will and do shoot my 20" 5.56 AR and my 24" Remington 700 in .308 without any hearing protection when I am alone and it does not bother me a bit, very pleasant and fun. I use a Silencerco Omega 300 on the last 3 rifles mentioned. And I myself have not seen my groups become worse with the can on the Remington, as a matter of fact the best groups I have ever shot with that rifle have been with the can on it. Yes, I do have to account for a small adjustment for group shift when the can is on the rifle.

My Rugged Obsidian 9 on my full size AP-5 with subs is some of the most fun I have ever had with a firearm, but I will admit this much, it really does require hearing protection with supers. No complaints of gas to the face, thousands and thousands of rounds of my subsonic cast lead loads without a malfunction or broken parts. As for accuracy with this one, as long as I have the scallops in the baffles pointing up in the can, it does not change my impact point at all or my accuracy. I have tested this quite a bit.

And then you have .22 pistol and bolt and semi auto rifles! Good hell, I am glad I have a good stash of .22 ammo because this is probably the ones that get shot the most and I would rate as the most fun to shoot with suppression. These ones have also been tested for accuracy and group shift extensively without issues or need for adjustment.

Now, I have not played with my G-35 with the Obsidian a whole lot yet, but I do agree that centerfire handgun with a can is quite impractical. It is fun, but makes the pistol very long, adds a good bit of weight to it and affects shot times and follow ups. And I do get debris in my face with my cast lead loads. I also own far more firearms that are not suppressor ready than I do that I can suppress, but I have only started the suppressor game around 5 years ago.

So take this very long post for what it's worth, but that has been my experience with suppression and I personally find that they add a lot of practicality and utility to shooting, a hell of a lot of fun and like a large amount of the stuff we buy for our shooting sports hobby, they are just plain cool! I don't regret mine one bit and glad that I do have them.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:19:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#9]

A suppressor will overgass every full auto or semi auto gun you put it on. I call bullshit, or maybe you were blinded by the coolness of your suppressor. Why does a barely functioning semi auto work better with a can? I'm pretty sure there are a few fluid dynamics equations that will back up my arguement.

My flash suppressing muzzlebreak goes from effective to worthless with a suppressor. The bolts velocity has increased, the gas sent through the system has increased leaking out every place it can find. Yes the gas pressure is pushing forward on the can, but now you've changed the recoil impulse and caused more backpressure. Every action as an equal and opposit reaction. The force forward on the can is just increasing bolt speed. But F=mc^2 when that bolt slams backwards.

Even a vented can on a bolt action will change how the gun acts

View Quote

With most modern firearms everything you listed can be easily corrected or greatly minimized by tuning your setup for how you’re shooting.

You can get the info you need, parts to correct it, and services pretty much instantly at your fingertips.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:
Shoot a tuned 11.5" 5.56 with a low back pressure can. You get a rifle that cycles like a well gassed 14.5" middy and has the report of high velocity .22LR.

I'm coming up on 5k rounds on mine and it has yet to malfunction and doesn't rapidly wear out parts. It also doesn't shoot gas in my face.
View Quote

@JBecker_72 what are you using for a low back pressure can?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Tobysi:

View All Quotes
Shoot a tuned 11.5" 5.56 with a low back pressure can. You get a rifle that cycles like a well gassed 14.5" middy and has the report of high velocity .22LR.

I'm coming up on 5k rounds on mine and it has yet to malfunction and doesn't rapidly wear out parts. It also doesn't shoot gas in my face.

YHM Turbo 3. Lower back pressure than most would be the better way to describe it. It's not a flow through with holes out the front like a Hux or RC3.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#12]
YHM Turbo 3. Lower back pressure than most would be the better way to describe it. It's not a flow through with holes out the front like a Hux or RC3.
View All Quotes

Mine lives on and has been super pleasant on my 16” 5.56. Other than a H1 buffer, absolutely no other tuning was required.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Glocked:

Mine lives on and has been super pleasant on my 16" 5.56. Other than a H1 buffer, absolutely no other tuning was required.
View Quote
It's a really nice suppressor. I ran it for a while without the BRT tube and just an H3 buffer. It ran fine but I figured I could get it to run even better if I just gave up wanting to shoot that rifle without it.

Definitely worth it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Completely useless besides looking cool.

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top