Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/13/2004 8:00:41 PM EDT
Who played a better Wyatt Earp in your opinion. Personally I think Tombstone is one of the best movies in my collection.

opinions please.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Kevin Costner.  He just "fits" when it comes to a western.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Kurt Russell.

so much better
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#3]

<------------Hmmmmm, I wonder......
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

<------------Hmmmmm, I wonder......

LOL...  I like
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't believe you mentioned those 2 actors in the same sentence.

Kevin Costner doesn't act, he interprets. And he couldn't pick a good role to save his life, with the possible exception of 'Dances with Wolves' - which I only admit to watching for the purpose of making my point.  

Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Kevin Costner doesn't act, he interprets. And he couldn't pick a good role to save his life, with the possible exception of 'Dances with Wolves' - which I only admit to watching for the purpose of making my point.  

Oh i have to put Kurt Russell in the highest respect as far as actors go. This guy has done drama, westerns, mystery, suspense and comedy.

Plus he is a Pro-2nd Conservative.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Costner wasn't born, he was carved from a block of wood. He couldn't act his way out of a wet paper sack.

Kurt Russell +1
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Russell
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't even know Costner played Earp.

Doesn't matter.  Costner sucks as an actor.

Kurt Russell does a damn fine job.

Costner sucks as an actor.  

(No hijack: I'm also highly disappointed with Costner in Open Range...)
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Kurt Russell.

so much better

Yep.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#11]
KURT RUSSELL.. TOMBSTONE!!! That movie rox!
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Russell was a better Earp, but neither one was convincing. Tombstone is one of my favorites though.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
KURT RUSSELL.. TOMBSTONE!!! That movie rox!

YUP
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#15]
IMO The entire cast selection for Tombstone was excellent.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I have said about the same thing and still believe Costner is just not a very good actor. I don’t think he was all that impressive in “Dances with Wolves” it is a beautifully shot movie but Costner just isn’t that good…

BUT Costner is very good in Open Range, he shows he can actually act and direct.

No contest on Wyatt Earp:

1. Kurt Russell
2. Henry Fonda
3. James Garner
4. Burt Lancaster
5. Kevin Costner
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll go out on a limb and say I liked Costner's Earp better. Tombstone was a far better movie and Val Kilmer's Holiday stole the show, but I think Costner played a better Earp.

I think he was more like my idea of the real Wyatt Earp.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I prefer Russell's Tombstone version over Costners.

Its all academic considering Kilmers Doc Holiday performance elipsed everything else.

He should have gotten an Oscar for that role! All the actors in the movie were exceptional but
Val Kilmer made the movie.

"Why Ike, Whatever do you mean?"

"Let's have a spelling contest!"

"Come Darling, Let us seek our entertainment elsewhere"

"Not me , I'm in my Prime".
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Kevin Costner
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#20]
you're a daisy if ya do
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Kurt Russell  ...

Plus he is a Pro-2nd Conservative.

'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'll go out on a limb and say I liked Costner's Earp better. Tombstone was a far better movie and Val Kilmer's Holiday stole the show, but I think Costner played a better Earp.

I think he was more like my idea of the real Wyatt Earp.

I  just disagree if Earp had been like Costner portrayed him he would have wound up dead.

But to each his own...
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Open Range, is one of my favorite movies. *shrugs*

I liked "Wyatt Earp" much more the "Tombstone" also.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#24]
kurt russell
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Val Kilmer out shined them both.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Russell was the best.

Is Costner even still acting??
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I was going to suggest adding a poll, but why bother:

Quoted:

Its all academic considering Kilmers Doc Holiday performance elipsed everything else.

Absolutely.

I'll be your huckleberry.....

Why, Johnny Ringo...you looked like someone just walked over your grave....
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Russell, but Kilmer as Doc had it all over both of them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Costner as Earp but definately the Kurt Russel version of The Thing
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I love them both. But I've gotta say I prefer the movie Wyatt Earp to Tombstone. Tombstone just didn't have the plot Wyatt Earp had. Tombstone didn't really tell you who the Earps were or what they came from. Wyatt Earp did. It was just a better thought out movie IMHO.

I liked Val as Doc, but Dennis Quaid was no slouch either. The Kilmer "Doc" had some catchy lines, but Quaid's "Doc" seemed the meanest. And he had some cool lines too. My favorite was "all of you can kiss my rebel dick"!

Ahhhh, hell with debating it. Show them both, back to back. Over and over again. I can watch those movies all day and never get tired of them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He should have gotten an Oscar for that role! All the actors in the movie were exceptional but
Val Kilmer made the movie.

"Why Ike, Whatever do you mean?"

"Let's have a spelling contest!"

"Come Darling, Let us seek our entertainment elsewhere"

"Not me , I'm in my Prime".

" I have not yet begun to defile myself."

"I'm your huckleberry"
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#33]
russel
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I think Lumpy and I agree on just about everything.  I was going to post this and he beat me to it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Jack Burton!

er, I mean, Kurt Russell.

Link Posted: 11/13/2004 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Didnt they both come out within weeks of each other??
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 11:48:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I love them both. But I've gotta say I prefer the movie Wyatt Earp to Tombstone. Tombstone just didn't have the plot Wyatt Earp had. Tombstone didn't really tell you who the Earps were or what they came from. Wyatt Earp did. It was just a better thought out movie IMHO.

I liked Val as Doc, but Dennis Quaid was no slouch either. The Kilmer "Doc" had some catchy lines, but Quaid's "Doc" seemed the meanest. And he had some cool lines too. My favorite was "all of you can kiss my rebel dick"!

Ahhhh, hell with debating it. Show them both, back to back. Over and over again. I can watch those movies all day and never get tired of them.

My thoughts exactly.

I prefer "Wyatt Earp" all around, but whenever either movie is on TV, I watch it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 2:05:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 2:23:37 AM EDT
[#40]
K. Russell
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 3:19:22 AM EDT
[#41]
I liked them both, don't make me choose.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 3:25:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Tombstone was a far, far superior movie to Costner's Wyatt Earp, but I do have to say that I liked Costner's performance as Earp a bit more than Russel's.  Not that Russel's was bad, but Costner seemed a bit more somber and ferocious in the role.  My ideal movie would have been combining the first half of Wyatt Earp with all of Tombstone, with Kilmer as Doc Holliday and Costner as Earp.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 3:31:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Tombstone sucked as a movie.
Haven't seen Cosners' version.

Agree that Russell is a better actor and that Kilmer stole the show.

Why did Tombstone suck?
It's like reading a book starting in the middle and then skipping most of the ending.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 3:55:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Kurt Russel wins, by sheer virtue of his moustache alone.  He could even give Sam Elliots moustache a run for it's money, but Sam's woulds still win... heh).  tHell he even *looks* like the real Wyatt Earp.  Costner isn't as bad as people often slam him for, but he's better off as a bumbling joe shmoe (Dances with wolves) than anything else.  (He was good as the goofball cowboy in Silverado)

Tombstone had one of the bests casts of any movie i've ever seen.  Even the small parts were good.  Powers Booth, Jason Priestly, that guy from "Wings"...

Yes, Kilmer's Doc was one of the all time screen roles in the history of cinema. Too bad that was the last really good movie he was in.

Link Posted: 11/14/2004 3:56:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Kurt Russell
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 3:58:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Frederic Fucking Chopin!
www.essentialsofmusic.com/composer/chopin.html
Val Kilmer stole the movie.

As for Costner acting, what about Bull Durham or No Way Out?
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 4:02:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Hugh O'Brien - if you have to ask, you're too young.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 4:16:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Kurt Russell is a much better  actor. Costner is so one-dimensional. Just change his costume and he reads his lines. The Costner Earp movie may be more historically accurate as some have said. Only saw it once so not sure. As for historical accuracy I can say that in the Tombstone movie (written by Kevin Jarre) the Bird Cage did not exist until the Earp’s last year in Tombstone. Judge Spicer was not in Tombstone when the Earps first got there as I recall reading. Fred White was 34 years old when he was shot in the nuts by Curley Bill and died a few days later after saying it was an accident that the gun discharged. Milt Joice was not friendly with the Earps and may have been friends with the cowboys. And Johnny Tyler – who Wyatt slaps around in the Oriental shows up slapping Doc around in Denver 8 or so years later when Doc was broke and destitute and close to death by TB. But what made the Tombstone movie was the exploration of the conflict between Doc and Ringo. Doc describes both the dark side of  Ringo and himself to Wyatt. This is Kevin Jarre at his best. Recommend everybody interested read Casey Tefertilers (SP) book on Wyatt Earp and a range of new books published since these movies came out. I have visited Tombstone 10 or so times and it was a blast every time. The thing that stands out is how remote it is from civilization. Some people are relocating there as a retirement community too.  Hope everyone gets to take the Western trip some time and puts Tombstone on the list. Lastly, my favorite line is " I have two guns, one for each of you" .
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 4:49:27 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
The Costner Earp movie may be more historically accurate as some have said.

Not really.  A lot of the Costner movie seems to have been taken from Wyatt Earp: Frontier Marshall, by Stuart Lake, a sensationalist biography that has been long discredited as totally inaccurate.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 4:54:56 AM EDT
[#50]
I would take Russel over Costner  anytime............Costner cant act anymore than I can walk to the Moon......................Tombstone with Kilmer was a much better acted movie overall.................Beside ................don't fuck with Captain Ron!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top