Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2005 5:04:30 AM EDT
Well, I finally have time to type up part 2 of The JSDF (Japanese army) in action.
In part one, I said that I was going to do the mock battle next, but I was promised photos that I could use in presenting it, so I am doing equipment for part 2.

At the entrance to the base, they had a permanent display of tanks, and related stuff.

M-4 Sherman.
Japan was given a lot of equipment by the US around the Korean War and this was part of it.
I was surprised to be told that the JGSDF still has 2 working models of the Sherman
They are kept alive through time and money being donated by present and ex members.

Type 61 tank.
It’s armament is one 90mm main cannon, 1 co-axial 7.62mm machine gun and one 12.7mm machine gun.
Top speed 45km/h, range 250km, weight 35t, operated by 4 people.
First officially used in 1961 (hence type 61), it is has been retired out and only a few working models exist.
It’s the tank that Godzila likes to tread on

Markings on the side of the tank.
I wonder if Disney could be persuaded to sue the JGSDF

A display of different barrels. From the top, 90mm for the Type 61 tank, 105mm for the Type 74 tank, 120mm for the Type 90 tank.
Only the one in the middle has rifling.

A section of armor that I assume was used for target practice or testing.
There were no explanations nearby.

Part of a target that was used in a tank gunner competition.
The winning shot was cut out, mounted on a plaque and presented as a trophy.
The size of the hole is about 15cm.

Type 75 bulldozer.
This side becomes the front when moving.

This side is the front when landscaping.

More landscaping equipment.

250cc reconnaissance bike.

Type 81 Bailey Bridge.

Type 78 tank retriever.
Basically a tank that has had its turret exchanged for a crane that can righten tanks that have overturned.

Japanese version of the HUMVEE.
Comes with several variations of roof.

Type 96 MPMS (Multi Purpose Missile System)
The rocket has a TV camera in it and is remote controlled to the target.

NBC recon vehicle.
It is a Type 82 Command Control vehicle customized for recon under NBC conditions.
It has various sensors, can do chemical tests with the lab inside, and has a robot arm to take samples.
A neutron shield can be attached to the front for extra protection.

Type 87 Armored Reconnaissance vehicle.
Armament consists of one 25mm machine gun and one 7.62mm machine gun.
Has enhanced night vision, remote control camera drones that can be left behind and continue to transmit data.

Light Armored Vehicle.
First used in 2001 by the JGSDF, the JMSDF (navy) is buying some this year.
Several types of weapons can be mounted but normally the FN MINIMI, or the M249 SAW is used.
The armor is capable of protecting from up to 20mm.
(I got the above information from a card that was placed nearby, I’m not too sure what that actually means)
I personally think that they could have been a little more creative when they named it

Type 74 MBT
It’s armament is one 105mm rifled main cannon, 1 co-axial 7.62mm machine gun and one 12.7mm machine gun. It also has 6 smoke dischargers.
Top speed 53km/h, range 300km, weight 38t.
First officially used in 1974 (hence type 74), about 800 exist.

Co-axial 7.62mm machine gun

Type 00 105mm round for the main cannon

Notice the huge IR search light.

More info here towards the bottom.

Tank being attacked by Kim’s NK secret forces. Notice the excellent deployment of mass tactics!

FH-70 - 155mm Howitzer.
It is normally towed into action, but in emergencies can use a small petrol engine mounted on the gun to move short distances on the battlefield.
Maximum range 30km with rocket assisted round.
Main artillery piece for the JGSDF.

Round positioned in cradle                                                      

Round and propellant..

Stinger anti-aircraft missile.

Type 89 rifle.
Uses the same ammo as the M-16 and uses interchangeable magazines.
The price tag of $3000 makes it the most expensive main battle rifle in the world

The magazine has holes in it for checking how much ammo is left.

9mm machine pistol.
Introduced about 5 years ago. I think that it looks like the UZI pistol.

Photos of the MINIMI(M249SAW), M2.

Uber tactical Tiger stripe Camo.
!!!!!!!!TOP SECRET !!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:21:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet!  Thanks for the pictures and write up!

G

PS - they paid $3,000 for an AR-180 copy?  Suckers!
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:27:56 AM EDT
[#2]
nice pics.
but the question is,
is the guy taking pic of the rifle or ass?

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:33:57 AM EDT
[#3]
ATNT Writes:

Markings on the side of the tank.
I wonder if Disney could be persuaded to sue the JGSDF

Be persuaded ? As soon as they see these pics they will be filing papers.

I really enjoy these pictures that you post here. Great post, geat commentary.

Am I the only one that sees Japanese Military hardware and thinks about how it will hold up against Godzilla ?

Thanks again for taking the time to share.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:35:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Those pics are awesome! I can't wait until 2011 when
those Type 61 tanks are C&Rs. I'll call Century and put
in my order now.

Quoted:
but the question is,

It's Japan...take a guess.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:44:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Enjoyed the pics - thanks!

CWO
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:47:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:54:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Great Pictures!

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:55:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Godzilla would still kick their asses!

As would Gamara!
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:02:44 AM EDT
[#9]
It would appear that their engineering equipment is modern but everything else is rather dated, yes? I suppose this makes sense for an army that never sees combat. Don't they do a lot of earthquake recovery work?

I'd love to get hold of a Type98 rifle kit. They look godzillariffic. :)

Galland
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:18:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It would appear that their engineering equipment is modern but everything else is rather dated, yes? I suppose this makes sense for an army that never sees combat. Don't they do a lot of earthquake recovery work?

Galland

I dunno...everything looks pretty up to date except for the Type 74 MBT.  Thats not their newest tank
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Those pics are awesome! I can't wait until 2011 when
those Type 61 tanks are C&Rs. I'll call Century and put
in my order now.

Quoted:
but the question is,

It's Japan...take a guess.

Considering how often they get to be around real firearms, it could be the guns... or both! I saw a video of a guy in Japan that blew his load all over some woman in public and ran off. I dunno if I can believe it. It seems like it'd have to be staged, but it is still nasty as hell. There are some weird ass people over there, probably more so than here.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:32:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Al Pacino would approve of this no doubt.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:33:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/ATNT0314/2-36.jpg

Al Pacino would approve of this no doubt.

I can't believe how expensive they are. Aren't stamped receiver firearms supposed to be cheap? Wasn't that the point of the AR18/180?
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
...snip...
I can't believe how expensive they are. Aren't stamped receiver firearms supposed to be cheap? Wasn't that the point of the AR18/180?

They really do cost about $3000.
The rifle shown is not the AR-180 and it is not stamped.
Also the fact that none are sold to the public also brings up the cost.
Even though, I consider it to be expensive.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Galland

I dunno...everything looks pretty up to date except for the Type 74 MBT.  Thats not their newest tank

They do some earthquake recovery work, but not often.
The last large scale recovery work that they did was about a year ago. Before that, it was the Hanshin earthquake of 1995.

The Type 74 MBT is not the latest, the latest MBT is the Type 90.
It is being fielded from the north since that is where the most of the big action is supposed to happen due to the Russians attacking.
The place that I went to is in Kyushu in the south.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:48:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Light Armored Vehicle.
Several types of weapons can be mounted but normally the FN MINIMI, or the M249 SAW is used.
(I got the above information from a card that was placed nearby, I’m not too sure what that actually means)
I personally think that they could have been a little more creative when they named it

That LAV seems very interesting...

Anybody else thinking what I'm thinking?
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:51:00 AM EDT
[#16]
NICE pics. some of those vehicles would make excellant SHTF BOVs.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Cool pics!!!

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Light Armored Vehicle.
i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/ATNT0314/2-23.jpg
i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/ATNT0314/2-24.jpg
i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/ATNT0314/2-25.jpg

4 door VAMP?
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Holly smokes
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I want that camo just in case the SHTF.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Light Armored Vehicle.

Group Purchase
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for sharing more pics.  

I see that most of the vehicles have a small white flower (chrysanthamum?) painted on them.

Is that a unit marking, or is it a Jananese property marking painted on everything, like "U.S." on our stuff?
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I see that most of the vehicles have a small white flower (chrysanthamum?) painted on them.

Is that a unit marking, or is it a Jananese property marking painted on everything, like "U.S." on our stuff?

It is the cherry blossom which is the symbol mark of the JGSDF.
I suppose that it would be similar to marking US Army on American army vehicles.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Light Armored Vehicle.

4 door VAMP?

I had a more noble cause in mind (replacement for the up armored HMMWVs in IRQ/AFG).
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suppose that it would be similar to marking US Army on American army vehicles.

I was going to say that it was the Imperial seal, a chrysanthemum for the Chrysanthemum Throne, but looking closer it is not.  So . . . but it is interesting that a culture so steeped in warrior tradition would be choosing flowers as its symbols.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Light Armored Vehicle.

Group Purchase

Well for at $330000 at 2003 prices, or $280000 at this year’s price, that’s going to be a bit difficult to explain to the better half

And since the M249 comes optional extra at the stiff price of $22000, it would be better to buy American in this case
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was going to say that it was the Imperial seal, a chrysanthemum for the Chrysanthemum Throne, but looking closer it is not.  So . . . but it is interesting that a culture so steeped in warrior tradition would be choosing flowers as its symbols.

The reason behind choosing the cherry blossom comes from the flower’s fragility.
It spends most of the year without standing out, and then in spring, it has its moment of glory, and then soon fades away.

That way of life, spending most of it training both spirit and mind, then having one minute of glory and fading away with honor was the idealistic way for the Samurai era Japanese.

Unfortunately, not many of the young generation think that way and the tradition is being lost.

To clarify, “fading away” doesn’t mean only death but has more of a “honorable retirement”; knowing that the person has not stained the family name nuance in it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#28]
is this sanctioned by Disney

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#29]
tag
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Light Armored Vehicle.

4 door VAMP?

I had a more noble cause in mind (replacement for the up armored HMMWVs in IRQ/AFG).

I was thinking the same thing.  I would think it would be more survivable then a up armored HUMVEE.  Anything that would help our guys would be awesome.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:24:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
is this sanctioned by Disney

i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/ATNT0314/2-3.jpg

Terminate with extreme prejudice means a bullet don't care if you're Michael Eisner.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Thanks- I can see it now-  A cherry blossom, not a mum.

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...snip....

I was thinking the same thing.  I would think it would be more survivable then a up armored HUMVEE.  Anything that would help our guys would be awesome.  

There are some of them in Iraq now around Samawa(s/p?)
I have never seen a up armored HUMVEE so I can't compare but, it seemed quite sturdy.
The thickness of the body was about an inch and it seemed solid.
It would be interesting to see how it would stand up to an IED.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 4:06:48 AM EDT
[#34]
I finished part three at last.
Here it is!
Enjoy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top