Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2005 10:03:51 AM EDT
What a better way to do it than PUGIL STICKS!!!
So any of you guys have a how to make your own? I cannot be too hard?
Whats up with the ones you can buy? They have pussy hand covers on them? Crap how am I going to make a man out of my 5 YR old with pussy hand covers!!
When I was in the .mil I don't remember having pussy hand covers! I still got my hands, after all these years! Damn there getting soft on kids, No wonder there fat!
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#1]

put him out in the dogloo when its -10.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
put him out in the dogloo when its -10.

He already sleeps outside with the dog in a shelter half!! Looks like a god damn .mil encampment in the back yard!
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Draw down on him then have him fight Chuck Norris
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Leave him at a carwash.

Sheep
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

RU Crazy???  Don't start him off with Chuck.  Start him off with Squatdog and have him work his way up through John Wayne, Sam Peckingpaugh, Lee Marvin, Bruce Lee, Clint Eastwood, Mike Tyson, the Army Rangers, First Recon then have him start training for Chuck.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

He said he wants to toughen him up. Not make him dead ...
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Look at how Jackie Chan turned out after his parents sold him to the Chinese Opera Research Institute!

That guy's almost as tough as the Chuck*.

* Please note that I said "almost".

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Didn't the Indians toughen up their young'ns by making them break the ice and sit in creeks during the winter?  It's winter--get at it.  

They would also have them run naked through briar patches to learn to ignore pain.   Some tuff people I would say.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Look at how Jackie Chan turned out after his parents sold him to the Chinese Opera Research Institute!

See this is what im talking about.. I want my kid to turn out good, and not some Army SEAL that works at a gunstore!
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I think 5 is a little young to start, but around 10 I'd have him start doing martial arts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

See this is what im talking about.. I want my kid to turn out good, and not some Army SEAL that works at a gunstore!

What's wrong with being an Army SEAL??  I was an Army SEAL for several years doing a lot of covert stuff all over the world.   Being able to work at a gunstore is just one of the perks to being a trained killing machine.

You're just jealous because you have a soft kid.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Light him up with a taser a couple of times a week.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's wrong with being an Army SEAL??  I was an Army SEAL for several years doing a lot of covert stuff all over the world.   Being able to work at a gunstore is just one of the perks to being a trained killing machine.

Ya unlike yours who it taking Pokemon martial arts! Im trying to keep up..
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I think 5 is a little young to start, but around 10 I'd have him start doing martial arts.

If he started around 10, he would have missed several years of training that in my opinion is most effective while they're young.

I'd say get him started in martial arts training soon, with a reputable instructor. That would be a good foundation.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Seriously, around here there's several places for young kids to learn martial arts.  Mine started at 5 in a more "fun" orientated one.  At six he's a little Cun Tao machine.  Kids dig the animal styles.  It's a mix between being a Power Ranger and a Jedi Knight. They don't have to be older to learn, and it helps them burn off some of that extra energy.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Army SEALs are pansies.

When I was a screen door gunner on the nuclear submarine USS Codfish, I whipped seven ARMY SEALs at once, and I had a liver fluke problem to boot. I was awarded the purple star and the silver heart for my service on the USS Ronald Reagan back in 1983.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Army seal", Holy shit! working at a gun store, oh shit! Too true!
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Army SEALs are pansies.

When I was a screen door gunner on the nuclear submarine USS Codfish, I whipped seven ARMY SEALs at once, and I had a liver fluke problem to boot. I was awarded the purple star and the silver heart for my service on the USS Ronald Reagan back in 1983.

Holy shit! Ok, wife's looking at me weird, I should probably stop roaring in histerics, but DAMN! That's some funny shit right there!.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he started around 10, he would have missed several years of training that in my opinion is most effective while they're young.

I'd say get him started in martial arts training soon, with a reputable instructor. That would be a good foundation.

Maybe. It just seemed that while I was studying Bushidokan the kids that were that young didn't really learn too much. They were more interested in messing around. I guess if your kid will pay attention and try to learn then get him started now.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#23]
All you need are an oak tree, chainsaw, lathe, baling wire, and nails. Toughened my boy right up.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
All you need are an oak tree, chainsaw, lathe, baling wire, and nails. Toughened my boy right up.

More info please.. I need details man!
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#25]
A couple of years ago, here in Austin there was a guy who was slapping his son around because he "didn't want him to him to grow up to be a punk".

The kid was about 18 months old... the baby died after getting one too many power shots  
Be careful about what you wish for  At least no one ever called the kid a punk!
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
A couple of years ago, here in Austin there was a guy who was slapping his son around because he "didn't want him to him to grow up to be a punk".

The kid was about 18 months old... the baby died after getting one too many power shots  
Be careful about what you wish for  At least no one ever called the kid a punk!

Sir there is a diffrence between a 18 month old baby and a 5 Yr old man that shoots a AR-15!

Stealth you still have the range picts of the boys?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Sir there is a diffrence between a 18 month old baby and a 5 Yr old man that shoots a AR-15!

Stealth you still have the range picts of the boys?

I have the pics somewhere.  I also have one of the targets.

I'm still waiting for how to properly use the oak tree, chainsaw, lathe and bailing wire.  That one really sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#28]
MAke like inspector Clouseau, and jump out at him randomly,  after the bathroom, in his school hallways, he'll be all like "Yeah Jason I'll see you at..."  ARRGHH!!!

toughen em up.

remember Chuck Norris does not sleep, he waits.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#29]
The easiest way to make Pugil sticks for kids...

1/2 or 3/4 inch PVC pipe wrapped in PVC insulation wrapped liberally in duct tape. Use thick wall pipe to make sure it doesn't break and turn into a Pointy stick. You can leave areas uncovered in insulation for handles and wrapped in grip tape.

You can make play swords this way, also. I've seen people make arrows this way out of golf tubes for low weight bows. I learned this stuff in the SCA, where the kids wanted to swordfight like their parents, but their parents didn't want kids whacking on each other with sticks.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

1/2 or 3/4 inch PVC pipe wrapped in PVC insulation wrapped liberally in duct tape. Use thick wall pipe to make sure it doesn't break and turn into a Pointy stick. You can leave areas uncovered in insulation for handles and wrapped in grip tape.

You can make play swords this way, also. I've seen people make arrows this way out of golf tubes for low weight bows. I learned this stuff in the SCA, where the kids wanted to swordfight like their parents, but their parents didn't want kids whacking on each other with sticks.

This is the answer I was looking for..
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

That's how I made them when I was a kid.  Smallest diameter thickwall PVC pipe (~3/4" OD I think) with the matching size foam pipe insulation, and wrapped in duct tape.  That kind of construction would probably be too flexible for pugil stick length devices though, but worked well for nightstick/rifle/PR24 length stuff.  If you want full length pugil sticks, maybe wooden closet dowels with the pipe insulation/duct tape, and a nerf basketball at the end?

ETA:  The grey conduit type PVC seems tougher than the water pipe type, a little more flexible and less likely to crack or chip.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Put him on the wheel that Conan had to push for awhile when he was a wee lad.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I got knocked out in Army Basic by a pugil stick.  2 on 1.  Duked number one, and number two got me with an upper cut.  

Good times.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#34]
bah!  alll these responses suck!

maddox knows how to handle your kid:

www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=beat

Quoted:
If you don't beat your kids when they fall out of line, the next thing you know your son will go off and bang some dude in the ass just out of spite. You tell them to clean their room, they say "no," you smack them. It's simple; it works.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#35]
You want it to be flexible so it absorbs the impact, if it's wood wrapped in foam, it's going to hurt and leave a mark. Then DHS might be calling you. Heck, we had lots of fights with FunNoodles in the pool where someone left crying. It's made of the same foam that pipe insulation is made of, just without the UV protectant. I thought about putting some PVC in a Fun Noodle, they are lots thicker than pipe insulation, but they do fall apart in the sun.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
bah!  alll these responses suck!

maddox knows how to handle your kid:

www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=beat

Quoted:
If you don't beat your kids when they fall out of line, the next thing you know your son will go off and bang some dude in the ass just out of spite. You tell them to clean their room, they say "no," you smack them. It's simple; it works.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#37]
I hope hes joking. Five is still a  kid. Let him be a kid without worrying about "toughening him up".
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
You want it to be flexible so it absorbs the impact, if it's wood wrapped in foam, it's going to hurt and leave a mark. Then DHS might be calling you. Heck, we had lots of fights with FunNoodles in the pool where someone left crying. It's made of the same foam that pipe insulation is made of, just without the UV protectant. I thought about putting some PVC in a Fun Noodle, they are lots thicker than pipe insulation, but they do fall apart in the sun.

I was thinking of using a fun noodle as the padding. Both my kids have full Motocross gear so there good to go on the protection part..
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#40]
So did ya make the pugil sticks yet????

Post Pics!

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Not yet maby this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 2:15:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Figures.

Just get a couple axe handles from the hardware store and start smackin' each other.

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 2:18:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Have you tried putting a chain around his neck and hooking weights to it?
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 2:33:58 AM EDT
[#44]
When I first read the thread title, I thought it said "pungi sticks" and thought, 'well dang, how tough does he want the kid to be?'
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:02:42 AM EDT
[#45]

When I was a screen door gunner on the nuclear submarine USS Codfish,

now whats funny on this is i used to run R/C subs ( and i was on the real ones too ) a guy named dave merriman made movie models of subs, on one of the crimson tide subs ( iirc but he also did the hunt for red oct ) he put a screen door on the side of the sail.  funny shot to see a highly accurate maodel with a screen door in scale.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top