Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2005 6:35:09 PM EDT
Got a really nice 8 point.  11 inch G2's.  Don't have the $500 for a mount, so am boiling the skull right now.
So how long should I boil it before scrapping to make sure that it's good before doing a simple skull/velvet mount.
I have others that  I just let "dry" for a year or so and then mounted on a Oak board, but this one I would really like to get mounted quick.
Thanks for your help/advice.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Got a really nice 8 point.  11 inch G2's.  Don't have the $500 for a mount, so am boiling the skull right now.
So how long should I boil it before scrapping to make sure that it's good before doing a simple skull/velvet mount.
I have others that  I just let "dry" for a year or so and then mounted on a Oak board, but this one I would really like to get mounted quick.
Thanks for your help/advice.

Just keep pulling it out every few minutes and scrape off what you can. Then boil it more. Repeat.

The object is to loosen up all the meaty matter so you can scrape it off. It won't just boil off.

If you want a really unusual mount....pressure cook the antlers. They'll soften up enough that you can tie knots in the tines. It'll blow peoples minds!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#3]
just drop it in a creek tied to a line on a bank for a couple of weeks....completely clean and white!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't care how long you boil them, they are still not gonna be tender enough to eat!

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks,  I have pulled them out and scrapped.
I'll just keep at it.
This is the largest buck I have ever gotten.
I really think that Dr. Alt's DMP / Antler restrictions are showing promise here in PA.
Thanks for the info.
And NO I won't twist these antlers around!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Drop yourself a handful of Arm and Hammer Washing Powder (by regular washing detergent) in the boiling water and it will help you get the meat off easer and also degrease the skull.  Don't overcook or the teeth will fall out and the skull will get chalky and brittle.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I can tell you that they will still be tough no matter how long you boil 'em.

You know, I prefer a mount with just the antlers.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I just did that this past year and I had all the meat off in 12hrs, I worked on it all damn day.  Someone told me to be careful about getting the antlers in the pot.  Its hanging in my 4yr olds room.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I usually just put them in the yard and let nature do all the work, of course that probably works better in Florida this time of year (still have plenty of bugs). From experience I can say it is a good idea to tie them to something though so nothing is carried off
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you trying to make soup?

I have always done exactly what TBK1 said in his post.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I just tossed my skull/horns up on the top of the barn.  By spring it'll be pecked clean as a whistle.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks again for all of the reply's.
I have used most of the "usual" methods to clean off a 'Skull Plate' mount.
As this is the largest rack/deer I have ever gotten, I am a little anxious to get it mounted on an Oak Plaque and hung on the wall in my office at work!!!
It's still boiling at 6 hours.  I pull it out when I add water/salt every 30 minutes or so and scrape it.
It's starting to look pretty good.
I'll have to see if I can get a pic posted of the deer in the truck bed and then the mount.

Thanks again!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#16]
don't forget to post pictures!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Point of order:  Do we have to clean the six inches of snow off of the ant hills first?  

Oh yeah.  I forget that not everybody's wearing shorts in the middle of December.

Wimps.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:51:41 AM EDT
[#18]
$500 for a mount, Unreal Most shoulder mounts here go from $225-300. You can always use Peroxide to bleach the skull after all the meaty stuff is gone, They recommend the strong stuff like a hair salon uses. Also there is some kind of beetle larvae you can order that will strip it in a week or so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top