Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2006 3:32:51 PM EDT
The other day, I came down with a major muscle spasm in my power back. I broke out the vicodin that was prescribed to me after a car accident a couple years ago. I didn't take any of it then but, I'm just too busy to be down with back pain right now, so I gave it a try. It seems to put me in a pretty damn good mood. I'm not feeling any stress. It's quite relaxing. Oh, it's a heck of a pain reliever as well.
I took one yesterday and one today. reccommended dosage is one every 4 to 6 hours so I'm not exactly abusing it.

Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Good question. It makes me wanna puke. I hate the stuff.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
you have opioid receptors in your brain.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Is that good or bad?
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that good or bad?

both
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#6]
It did the same thing to me.  It wasn't euphoric...and to be honest it really didn't take the pain away...it just made me not care.  It also made me laugh and giggle at just about everything.

It also plugged me up like a drum, and I wasn't happy and giggly about that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The other day, I came down with a major muscle spasm in my power back. I broke out the vicodin that was prescribed to me after a car accident a couple years ago. I didn't take any of it then but, I'm just too busy to be down with back pain right now, so I gave it a try. It seems to put me in a pretty damn good mood. I'm not feeling any stress. It's quite relaxing. Oh, it's a heck of a pain reliever as well.
I took one yesterday and one today. reccommended dosage is one every 4 to 6 hours so I'm not exactly abusing it.

Its because you are on Vicodin.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

hydrocodone (vicodin), oxycodone (oxycontin), diacetylmorphine (heroin) are brothers and sisters....

you like vicodin you'd prolly like heroin..

trick with them tabs.. dont know how many you have, if you are using them to 'relax'.. just dont relax everyday for a week or so, at the end you may feel a little restless of not be able to sleep good for a night or two. take one now put the rest away for a rainy day(s).
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Vicodin is pretty good except it turns my turds into rocks. Ouch.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Well, that explains the change in my afternoon delight.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#11]
vicodin is for pussies. REALLY hurt yourself and score some oxycodone....trust me, it's worth it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You can always send your excess to me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
vicodin is for pussies. REALLY hurt yourself and score some oxycodone....trust me, it's worth it.

I'm not really thrilled about taking prescription pain relievers but this is a bad time for back pain. I filled the scrip two years ago and never touched them until yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not really thrilled about taking prescription pain relievers but this is a bad time for back pain. I filled the scrip two years ago and never touched them until yesterday.

Thats a long time to hold onto meds. Some kinds will go bad. Im not sure if vics do or not.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I didn't poop for three days.  Then I did the Big E.  Then I pooped for an hour straight.  Then I took a shower.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, that explains the change in my afternoon delight.

Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I had two surgeries last year, was prescribed Lortab after both of them. Both times I took one and decided that I'd rather deal with the pain than that horrible nauseous foggy feeling... so I just took Motrin... Got a shitload of Lortab in my medicine cabinet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats a long time to hold onto meds. Some kinds will go bad. Im not sure if vics do or not.

I have been storing them in the basement in my safe, no light and temp controlled. From the way I'm feeling, I can say with confidence that these have held up just fine.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#19]
ENDORPHINS!  Your body will naturaly release some when you commit such pleasurable activities as working out, orgasms, and C-mag dumps with NFA firearms.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
vicodin is for pussies. REALLY hurt yourself and score some oxycodone Dilaudid  ....trust me, it's worth it.

Seriously, oxycodone (Percocet) and hydrocodone (Vicodin, Lortab) are more or less the same strength.  They are considered equal in the medical community, however, some people prefer one over the other.  Different people, different reactions.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I had to take some hydrocodone after I had my uvula cut off.

It put me into a fog and I didn't like it.  It did take the pain away though.

Um why did you do that?
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Ask Rush, i think he can fill you in.

Link Posted: 5/4/2006 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I took Vicodin after I had back surgery.
I felt the same way.
Not dopey or hig, just great.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
vicodin is for pussies. REALLY hurt yourself and score some oxycodone Dilaudid  ....trust me, it's worth it.

Seriously, oxycodone (Percocet) and hydrocodone (Vicodin, Lortab) are more or less the same strength.  They are considered equal in the medical community, however, some people prefer one over the other.  Different people, different reactions.

hydrocodone seems to be a tad milder at 5 mg than say 5 mg of ocxcodone (percodan) and seems to last a bit longer.. dilaudid is a bit stronger than oxycodone at similar strenghts.

grew up in a drugstore had access to everything. had bad headaches. took it all (there was no oxycontin then). i could take it or leave it.. one thing though scared me.. methadone.. giving sometimes to cancer patients (dolophine). lasted a really long time and was ah.. really relaxing. took it twice i think and said no more. having tried them all vicodin seems the best (of the group) because its not as strong and last longer. you cant take this stuff continously though or you will get physically addicted. some doctors prescribe enough for people to take for say.. two weeks. patient doesn't know any better. takes it for two  weeks then goes through withdrawal.. usually like a case of the flu with sleeplessness. i suspect thats how rush got started, progressed to oxycontin and by that time he was physically addicted. some doctors seem completely unaware of the potential for addiction with this stuff and some are over cautious and wont prescribe enough to a patient that is in real pain.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#27]
That stuff make me loopy.  After the people on my flight home after I hurt my hand.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I was prescribed oxycodone in connection with last year's kidney stone attacks and treatment series.

I was prescribed it three different times in three different dosages.

It did relieve the pain,  but I didn't like the feeling of being wrapped in a blanket all the time when I was on it.    

The sensation was stronger with the higher dosages.

It also mad it hard for me to sleep.

But I did WRITE a lot.   It  did seem to cause me to think more and about more things.   Mental activity was way up.

Quite frankly,   it sucked.    I am NOT one of those who is going to enjoy THAT drug, or probably
any of its relatives.

I don't think I'm susceptible to opiate addiction.   No interest in finding out, either.

CJ

One of the things opioid agonists do is reduce GABA activity in the CNS.  GABA (gamma aminobutyric acid) is the major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain and spinal cord.  Opioids also inhibits norepinephrine activity, which effects sleep/arousal and other stimulatory behaviors/actions.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I had to take some hydrocodone after I had my uvula cut off.

It put me into a fog and I didn't like it.  It did take the pain away though.

Um why did you do that?

I didn't like it.

It was part of a UPPP.  I don't snore anymore though.

Damn!  First uvulectomy I've heard of.  Can you still say "AAAAHHHHH!" when they look in your throat and mash your tongue with a tongue depressor (I guess that's how it got it's name)?

Can you still gargle without a uvula?

Can you still yodel without a uvula?  

Do you look like this without a uvula?  ???

Glad you are sleeping better though.

For my kidney stone (carried one day shy of nine months ) they gave me Lortabs, Toradols, and Mepergans.  Took 7.5 mg of Lortab, and if I was still hurting in 30 minutes I was instructed to take a Toradol on top of it.  If the pain got bad enough, I was to take a Mepergan (Didn't have to take any).  Passed the stone a week ago Tuesday while at work.  Measured 4.5mm x 5.3mm.  Hope I never have another....
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a lower back problem a couple of months ago, and I got Vicoprofen, which is the same thing except with ibuprofen instead of acetaminophen.  I prefer it if I have a BIG owie, because ibuprofen won't eat your liver like acetaminophen.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hydrocodone seems to be a tad milder at 5 mg than say 5 mg of ocxcodone (percodan) and seems to last a bit longer.. dilaudid is a bit stronger than oxycodone at similar strenghts.

Dilaudid is actually 4 times more potent than Percocet or Vicodin orally.  It's 6 to 10 times more potent than Morphine parenterally.  You won't get Dilaudid unless you have serious health problems like CA.  It's the most potent of all outpatient opioids.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/5/2006 4:10:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Dilaudid makes me vomit. No amount of anti-nausea meds can stop it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top