Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/22/2006 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Did some more work on the Jeep - it's been busy with a new promotion at work.

Anyway - for the first time in over a year - the Jeep ran for an extended period of time!

I purchsed a new starter from Midwest Military. Installed it and the Jeep fired up!

Of course, my fuel tank ruptured!

Pulled the fuel line from the fuel pump, installed a rubber hose and clamped it down.

Placed one end of the hose into a Jerry can filled with gas.

After a couple of attemps, it was running again! Did not move it anywhere, but it was running for 10 min or so. Water pump worked fine, oil pressure was good, batteries were charging!

Life is good.  

Av.
Link Posted: 9/30/2006 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Since the Jeep is now running, I decided to take it for a spin around the backyard.

Started up just fine. Popped it into first and we were off!

Took a couple of laps around the yard - the neighbors think I'm crazy at this point. The batteries and fuel can are all strapped to the front bumper and the hood, grille, and both fenders are off.

Looks like some weird frankenstien Jeep.

I'll post a pic later tomorrow.

Av.
Link Posted: 9/30/2006 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Took a couple of laps around the yard - the neighbors think I'm crazy at this point. The batteries and fuel can are all strapped to the front bumper and the hood, grille, and both fenders are off.

LoL!  Reminds me of some other restro jobs I've seen...guys running around on a chassis with no body and such.

good luck with it all!  I have enough trouble time, knowledge, and cash wise keeping up with my 95 YJ!  I would love to get an old MB or M38 though....
Link Posted: 9/30/2006 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Very interesting thread.  Sounds like you are getting close.

Link Posted: 10/15/2006 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Everyone loves pictures!

First off - no the bolts are NOT going to remain silver. They WILL be painted. Bolts are painted last.

Rear painted. Spare tire carrier, jerry can holder and reflector mounted. Rear lights mounted and tested.  

A good shot of the MP-50 antenna bracket. No fuel tank.

Another rear corner shot of the MP-50 bracket.

My hillbilly ride! I love the fact I can cobble a fuel system together with a gas can and some flex-line. Old stuff just works!

Av.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#6]
looking good in green!
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome project!
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#8]
This is a really neat thread. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Getting close...
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Making good progress!
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks good

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#13]
New price list!

Updated with my latest purchases.

www.d15.org/phptest/mmsconst/radio/jeep.pdf

PDF Format.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#14]
This is excellent. I was looking at your price list. There are only two items, besides the Jeep itself, over $100 - a battery cable set, and a wiring harness at a spendy $600. Other than those, everything else is pretty cheap. Further, you don't hav a gazillion things anyway, and just a handful of vendors. This fills me with optimism that I might undertake a similar project in the spring.

Thanks for sharing all of this with us!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Lookin real good. What part of Wisconsin are you in? My dad did some work on a '54 CJ-5, but it's not exactly an "accurate" Jeep rebuild. Never really get to drive it around much though, since it's in a rented garage not right by our house.

Great for toolin around in though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
This is excellent. I was looking at your price list. There are only two items, besides the Jeep itself, over $100 - a battery cable set, and a wiring harness at a spendy $600. Other than those, everything else is pretty cheap. Further, you don't hav a gazillion things anyway, and just a handful of vendors. This fills me with optimism that I might undertake a similar project in the spring.

Thanks for sharing all of this with us!

It looks deciving since I am not doing a full frame-off restoration and much of the Jeep is still in great shape. I don't need a new tub, spings, fenders, body panels, or any of the electrical parts.

A lot of the Jeeps in my price range were converted to 12 volt - expensive to replace - and many of them had serious rust issues.

As-is, I could turn around and sell the Jeep for a bit over $6K. Finished, closer to $9 or $10. Full frame-off restoations might be close to $15 or more. A WW2 MB or GPW costs even more.

Anoter note: I am NOT a "car guy". I run a large tech department for a school district. I have never worked on a car untill I bought the Jeep. They are VERY easy to work on! It's a project anyone could tackle.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Avalon01, that is pretty impressive... Keep it up and good luck.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Lookin real good. What part of Wisconsin are you in? My dad did some work on a '54 CJ-5, but it's not exactly an "accurate" Jeep rebuild. Never really get to drive it around much though, since it's in a rented garage not right by our house.

Great for toolin around in though.

Down by Lake Geneva.

The CJ's make great trail rigs. Easy to modify, from my understanding.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Good work, Av! You must be tickled pink.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice heep.  You need to yank that tub and clean up the undercarriage though.  Trust me, it'll be worth it!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:58:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Nice heep.  You need to yank that tub and clean up the undercarriage though.  Trust me, it'll be worth it!

I don't have the time or money to do that. The underside is still covered in the USMC tar thay applied to it. There are a few spots of surface rust, but nothing major. I cut all the rust on the sides off, so they should be OK.

When my daughter is older and I don't have to watch her every moment of my time, I plan on a full frame-off restoration.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#22]
US Army Jeeps were also painted in that shade of green,some came in a semi-gloss hue(this was in 1950s)and white star on hood.Parade(high ranking officers) Jeeps were painted in a high gloss hue,including 151s.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:52:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
US Army Jeeps were also painted in that shade of green,some came in a semi-gloss hue(this was in 1950s)and white star on hood.Parade(high ranking officers) Jeeps were painted in a high gloss hue,including 151s.

The Army LOVED to paint their stuff with starts, markings, and fun colors.

Since mine is a USMC Jeep there will be no Stars or markings other than the hood number.

USMC Jeeps were painted Marine Corps Green #23. That is a lusterless (flat) paint. It was used on all USMC MV's during WW2 and Korea, During other times and places semi-gloss was normally used. Gloss paint was used on admin MV's.

Picture of an Army M38A1 (this one has winter top, sides and doors, and the Artic Heater kit installed:

The Army liked to put all types of markings on their MV's. Tire pressure markings abouve the wheels, starts, all types of crap.

Compare with a USMC M38A1. This photo was taken in Korea abt 1953. The Jeep is a communications Jeep at the K-2 airbase for the First Marine Air Wing.

No stars or other body markings. Just the hood numbers and markings on the windshield. Most USMC Jeeps only had the hood numbers.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/26/2006 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#24]
bumpage so it does not fall into the Archive Server.

Did a bit more work on it during the "warmer" days. The carb is now leaking fuel! A gasket must have let go.

I am planning on sending out the carb and fuel pump for rebuild - the fuel pump was last overhauled in 1963 according to the tag.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/26/2006 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#26]
One month bumpage from my last post.

Buying Christmas gifts puts a dent in my budget.

I did get the hood registration numbers cut, and will post a pict.

The local newspaper is supposed to be doing a story on my Jeep restoration project sometime after the New Year.

Av.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Bump for a Hero....

A guy in my shop is restoring an old jeep. Will send him a link to this thread
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I want one
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Looking great.....keep up the good work
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Great work!

I restored a 75 CJ-5.  Nowhere near as classic as yours.

Check this site out for forums:

www.earlycj5.com
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Darn!

I miss mine now. I totally rebuilt the running gear and got mine running good enough to drive from here to Camp Jeep one year. I sold it before I could get the body done because it was taking up too much precious garage space and I was low on funds.

Here's a pic of my 1952 M38A1

You done good with yours!

Danny

P.S. I may still have some parts scattered about. I know I have a carburetor.

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been waiting for an update on this project....AVALON, you still there?!
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I've been waiting for an update on this project....AVALON, you still there?!

I just posted an update on the top of the page!

Av.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#34]
What paint are you using?

Is it a genuine OD green military paint?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
What paint are you using?

Is it a genuine OD green military paint?

Gillespie Lusterless USMC Forest Green.

Used from WW2 until 1954ish.

Matches the original paint perfectly.

I started with Aervoe Lusterless USMC Forest Green, but it was too dark. Looked more like current issue OD.

Av.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#37]
My USMC markings.

They are a two peice paint mask. When they are applied to the M38A1, they will be on one line and painted yellow.

Patching holes that Bubba put into the dash.

Dash painted and installed. I did install one of the tail lights upside-down, however.

Av.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Tag!

That is awesome.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Keep up the good work, Av.

-Gator
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn,it looks good!!!! Those new tubs are coming from Mahindra(India)they still make the CJ-3/5/7/8s,with much more engine options than Jeep ever did(diesel!!!)

Watch out for those NDT military tires,they aren't worth a damn on wet or icy roads.

Looking for a MUTT now,I WILL GET ONE!!!!(if anyone knows where one is,let me know!)
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Is the m38A1 a gas or diesel vehicle?

Slightly off topic question, but in military terms what is a technical?

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Damn good job!
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

The M38A1 has a gas engine. The driver sits on a 17 gallon fuel tank.

A technical would be a civilian vehicle pressed into military service. For example, strap a M2HB on a Toyota pickup. You have a technical. The are usually unarmored.

A technical as seen in Liberia.

Av.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Damn,it looks good!!!! Those new tubs are coming from Mahindra(India)they still make the CJ-3/5/7/8s,with much more engine options than Jeep ever did(diesel!!!)

Watch out for those NDT military tires,they aren't worth a damn on wet or icy roads.

Looking for a MUTT now,I WILL GET ONE!!!!(if anyone knows where one is,let me know!)

The NDT and NDCC suck for wet/icy roads! found that out when I took her for a spin after we got 14 inches of snow one night.

If you are serious about a M151, shoot me an IM. I subscribe to several Military Vehicle magazines and there are some M151's, M151A1's, and M151A2's listed for sale. Depending on your budget you can choose from a project M151 all the way to a fully restored.

Av.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Kaiser came out with a CJ-5 equipped with a Perkins diesel back in the 1960s,wasn't very popular,very underpowered(lots of torque though). There was one on ebay a month or so ago,in rough shape.

Avalon,your jeep must not have seen any salt,or much of a beach.Rust is a REAL killer of jeeps(and that includes Wranglers too). Once drove my ol' -5 on Daytona's beack(got on MTV!),within 3 months,the -5 was rusting out big time.Also seen Wranglers of beach patrols disappear in less than a year.

First time I ever saw a technical was on TV in the early 80s,a Chevy 4X4 with an M2 blasting away at who knows what.
Link Posted: 1/21/2007 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#46]
One month bump!

Two new items

1st: US Forces Korea License Plate. Not sure when these were used, but I would look cool on the front bumper. It's made of cardboard with a plastic covering. I have never seen one before - found it on Ebay.

Second item is a Decontaminating Apparatus, Portable, DS2, 1 1/2 QT, ABC-M11 It is dated 1963, so it's a bit too new for my Jeep, but it should look neat mounted to the Jeep somewhere in back.

The picture makes it look somewhat small, it stants 14 inches tall. It is fired with a nitrogen cartridge - the silver cylinder - and carries a second one on the mount. It is empty, but the cartridge still works.

Otherwise - it too stinking cold to do anything.

If anyone has info on the licese plate - let me know. I can't find any info on it.

Av.

Link Posted: 1/22/2007 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for the update and new pictures. This is one of my favorite threads, and is definitely inspiring me to look for a Jeep to play with.
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#48]
I am really enjoying this thread.  Keep up the good work.  Bump for Feb....

Echap
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Very cool.  

And for some reason I love the looks of those NDT tires.  A place down the road sells duece-and-a-halfs periodically but that must cost monster cash to resto one of those.  Still, I'd love to have one sitting in my driveway.  The neighbors would shit themselves.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Very cool.  

And for some reason I love the looks of those NDT tires.  A place down the road sells duece-and-a-halfs periodically but that must cost monster cash to resto one of those.  Still, I'd love to have one sitting in my driveway.  The neighbors would shit themselves.

A duce is fairly cheap to restore. Hell, newly restored they only run $6K or so.

Av.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top