Link Posted: 11/29/2006 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's gotta be at least 180.

No way. Not even at the standard 1 watt 1 meter measuring point.

Instead of using the childish smilie, why not spend your time proving me wrong?

I've worked in the pro audio industry for over 20 years...your wrong.

But, if it will make you happy. Here you go.

www.ntsb.gov/Speeches/rosenker/mvr050721.htm
That link is not proof in any way.

What does your pro audio industry experience have to do with train horns?

inbox needs to be in the penalty box...
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can we make it a shoe box and call it a day?
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look, your an obvious troll that doesn't know what the hell your talking about so rather than trying to stir up shit whay don't you run along to bed.
I edited my last post to add this for you
I'm not a troll.

You came into this thread acting like an asshole and making outragous claims for no reason.
I asked you to prove your claims, but all you did was continue to act like an asshole.

BTW, if you actually were in the pro audio industry, there is no way in hell you'd agree that train horns are no louder than 110db.

Please stop. The federal government regulates how loud train horns on trains may be. The standard is 96 db at 100 feet, with an allowable tolerance of 4 db. There is a requirement for the manufacturers to test the horns to be within this standard. All your claims to the contrary will not change those simple facts.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I know what you are, but what am I?

Federal standard posted, showing minimum and MAXIMUM allowed db level. Discussion over.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know exactly how loud they are but there are a few logtrucks and dump trucks running around East Texas that have them and the will scare the heebeegeebees out of you when they sound them off.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can we make it a shoe box and call it a day?

+1.

Interesting story:  I was involved in a very small way in the early '80's of a large building in the PNW designed and constructed to "shout" at large satellites.  The building walls were at least 4 feet thick heavily reinforced concrete.  The purpose was to test the satellites for launch on the Space Shuttle and their ability to withstand launch noise.  The building test area was purged of air and backfilled with, I think, nitrogen.  The dB level they used to "shout" at the satellites?  180 dB.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I never knew the exact db, but they are damn loud.  How many have you had one blast in your ear while standing on the front of the engine.  Bought kicked the shit out of the Engineer cause he did it on purpose.  Also got stuck on an old UP engine every other day for 2-3 weeks where the horn was on top of the engine near my window.  Hot as hell in the summer, loud ass engine, open window, loud ass horn, earplugs, radio turned up all the way, could barely hear the radio, and everything was still loud as hell.  Sorry for the rant.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#8]
HOLY CRAP!

I will be buying a set of air horns like this right fucking N O W

OMFG HAHAH! I thought those POS air horns I got from Autozone were funny to nail people with. I was asking my father who is a Locomotive Engineer and he said he can't get me any I gotta get these from hornblaster. They sound EXACTLY like a Engineer air horn. That is the craziest shit I've seen in awhile

A+++++++ all the way.

I can't wait to drive past the Golf Course for the next guy teeing off and laying in to that horn.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Spinning this another direction...

How loud would the "ping" from a submarine be?

I understand if there was a diver in the water when they "ping" it would be very harmful.  Louder than a train horn AND a car stereo in the loudest stereo competition?

Or in that case would frequency, how sound travels in water, and db's be the factor?
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a set of three on my frightliner with the tredel valve total cost was about 250.oo for the total set up you can get the horns from any petro truck stop  and the tredel valves at a chrome shop use 1/2 " hose they need volume to sound right. And yes there loud.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I read that down in GA you need a proof of purchase if you have them because they were having problem with people stealing them
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry about the hijack, but who gets offended at this? --->

Some people need to lighten up.  Seriously.  This is the internet, not a murder trial.

And Inbox, if you could stop your whiny negative attitude for a moment, maybe you could provide some type of reasoning as to why a train horn "has to be at least 180 db".  Several people have already pointed you towards evidence to the contrary.  Why don't YOU post the db readings since you are so adamant in your opinion?
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I can't wait to drive past the Golf Course for the next guy teeing off and laying in to that horn.

We don't agree on much MetaPhaze, but the above - Do it!
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 11:01:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I live in Norman Oklahoma and we have 28 trains per day,thats about one every 45 min or so!  We have had several students die by train,so the trains lay on the horns very heavy when they come through here!

A real bitch durring summer months when we like to keep our windows open(dogs react quite verbose)and we pay for it!

When you get where you can sleep through that then you lose your edge,you need a Dog or alarm!

I think it sucks  big time!

Too loud!!

Bob
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Spinning this another direction...

How loud would the "ping" from a submarine be?

I understand if there was a diver in the water when they "ping" it would be very harmful.  Louder than a train horn AND a car stereo in the loudest stereo competition?

Or in that case would frequency, how sound travels in water, and db's be the factor?

I'm no Sonarman (I worked in the other end), but I think it can be varied.  The only active sonar I ever heard from inside the boat wasn't very loud and it sounded more like a musical scale.  Doo-doo-dee-deet!  Sounded about like someone was playing a flute in the room, and about the same volume.  They did, however, hang safety tags on sonar when divers were in the water, so I suppose it could be dangerous...
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 1:21:34 AM EDT
[#16]
The average active Sonar blast is over 3 million watts of energy transmitted into the water at any given time.Since sound propagates better through water than air,I would say it's well over 180db.When there is a swimmer attack,the first thing they do is go active on sonar.They say the swimmer literally floats to the top,usually dead.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 1:37:54 AM EDT
[#17]

This is the internet, not a murder trial.

Thats great tagline material.

That K5LA is nice, but I bet you need a big tank to run those!
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 2:11:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look, your an obvious troll that doesn't know what the hell your talking about so rather than trying to stir up shit whay don't you run along to bed.
I edited my last post to add this for you
I'm not a troll.

You came into this thread acting like an asshole and making outragous claims for no reason.
I asked you to prove your claims, but all you did was continue to act like an asshole.

BTW, if you actually were in the pro audio industry, there is no way in hell you'd agree that train horns are no louder than 110db.

There's only one asshole in this thread thus far... go find a mirror.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 4:00:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Its the damn wavelength and frequency of the sound that carries it so far, not necisarrily the deicbels (power).  Weather conditions also play a role.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 4:20:22 AM EDT
[#20]
My stepfather had an air horn from a semi in his ... wait for it ... '78 MGB!
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 4:24:45 AM EDT
[#21]
So has anybody put a set of these on a superduty yet?

How much would it cost to get a set of horns, a compressor and a tank?

-dan
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 4:35:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

-dan

Yes

Also, from the groverairhorns.com site:

Here are independent DB Ratings sent via email:
DB Ratings at 100 Ft.
Leslie    S5T-F 116db
Nathan   K5   115db
Nathan   K3  114db
Nathan  M5 114db
Nathan  P5 106db
Nathan  P3 103db
Grover   1275 103db
Omega 3000  103db
Buell Blasters 103db
Grover Truck Horns 101db

This should pretty much kill the "180 dB" BS once and for all.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 4:35:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have a set of three on my frightliner with the tredel valve total cost was about 250.oo for the total set up you can get the horns from any petro truck stop  and the tredel valves at a chrome shop use 1/2 " hose they need volume to sound right. And yes there loud.

I've seen those at the Iowa-80 truckstop.  
You can also get them on eBay any day of the week, as there are a lot of people selling them.

While very loud, and even advertised/sold as "train horns",
they aren't something you will ever see on a locomotive engine.

Leslie, Nathan (airchime), Prime, Wabco, and Hancock are the major manufacturers of
locomotive air horns.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2006 4:38:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Hey wait you didnt give the "I'll take it"  so I guess there still up for grabs.

How much you want for 'em?

seriously how much?

Looks like the price has gone up a bit since I bought mine.

www.hornblasters.com/products/details.php?item=NAK5

Link Posted: 11/30/2006 4:54:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-dan

Yes

hey thanks for the link.  check out thedieselgarage.com  , it doesn't have alot of the bs that tds does.

-dan
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 4:57:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey wait you didnt give the "I'll take it"  so I guess there still up for grabs.

How much you want for 'em?

seriously how much?

Looks like the price has gone up a bit since I bought mine.

www.hornblasters.com/products/details.php?item=NAK5

Holy crap!
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#27]
This thread just reminds me of college days and the doppler affect.

-MEI
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Folks, dont forget, these horns have a different "style of sound" to them.  While one may be louder than the other, the ones that arent as loud have sound that is more noticeable.  As a railfan, I spendalot of time trackside or at yards, so I hear alot of train horns.  I can tell what horns are on what locomotive by the sound.

All the ones listed below by Merlin have different sounds.

Quoted:
Also, from the groverairhorns.com site:

Here are independent DB Ratings sent via email:
DB Ratings at 100 Ft.
Leslie    S5T-F 116db
Nathan   K5   115db
Nathan   K3  114db
Nathan  M5 114db
Nathan  P5 106db
Nathan  P3 103db
Grover   1275 103db
Omega 3000  103db
Buell Blasters 103db
Grover Truck Horns 101db

This should pretty much kill the "180 dB" BS once and for all.

The Leslie S-series have more decibels and just have sweet sound to them.  They arent harsh on the ears at all.

Nathan K5-series is the sameway, but they dont have quite the sweet sound of the Leslies.  However, a K5LA or the newer K5LAL, K5LAA, etc will hurt the ears.  Alot of Hoggers are complaining about these new horns being too loud.

Nathan K3-series is the perfect train horn for your personal vehicle.  I think you can upgrade them to K5-series specs.  They are much more affordable.

I dont recall evewr hearing a Nathan M5.

Nathan P5.  Ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa!  Daddy like.  Not quite as loud as some of the others, but it has a teeth shattering sound to it.  The only train horn that really hurts me.  Its a true MF'er.  The older cast iron ones are the best.  This would be the train horn I'd mount on my truck.

Nathan P3 is a damned nice horn.  They have a mean sound to them, but never seem to hurt me.  Another good choice.

A good friend of mine, Ken Fitzgerald, website, including train horns.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#29]
They are advertised at over 100dB about 100 ft from the engine.  Seems much louder though...

M5 Whistle

Many years ago, I mounted a mini faux train horn in my car.  I had to be rather judicious in its use because it REALLY worked.  More than once I really startled a slothful or careless driver.

Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sound measurements are logarithmic.

Yes. It is a geometric increase, not even close to linear.

A 3.0 dB increase doubles the energy of the signal. A 6.0 dB increase has four times the energy, and 9.0 dB is eight times as powerful.

NOTE - Energy content and perceived volume (loudness) are not the same! At normal noise levels it takes huge increases in energy for the volume (loudness) to double.
When things are very loud already, the energy graph for increasing dB levels goes nearly vertical.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We don't agree on much MetaPhaze, but the above - Do it!

Don't forget the video!
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Oooohh, duuuuude...

I Soooooo need a set of those on my Dually.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#33]

They're FUCKING LOUD!!

------

The use of train horns is federally regulated by the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA).  Beginning June 24, 2005, the Final Train Horn Rule requires trains to sound horns at a 96–110 decibel level for 15-20 seconds as the train approaches all public at-grade crossings.

link
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Just the ticket for the bimbo applying lipstick or bumping gums on the cell phone during a green light!!!

I know you can hear a train coming into my town 3 miles away with one!
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Shit! I need a set of those!! I'd never hit a deer again!!

Bambi would not stop unitl he was in the next state if hit K5LA on my vehicle!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#36]
WooHoo------------Crank up the volume...!

www.hornblasters.com/?pageid=audio
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#37]
gaahhhhh yeah they're loud...

Bought my new house - nice and quiet, out in the sticks, right? WRONG. When the trains come through (they're over a mile away in wooded, hilly terrain) it is still quite loud...

And with the bare trees now it's a little worse, but we obviously aren't spending time outside right now either.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#38]
A train horn is loud.  I watch trains from time to time and I can tell you up close it is louder than you think.  At night I can hear the train horn from miles away and I do not live that close to railroad tracks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#39]
These are some othe grat train horn sites.

Diesel Air Horns

Five Chime Consultants

Railroad Locomotive Airhorns

Link Posted: 11/30/2006 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Loud enough for a wolf to hear it four to five minutes before the train reaches the crossing a half mile away.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#41]
AaaaaaOoooooGaaaaaaaaaa...!

And...

Can you FEEL the pain...?!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:24:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't know how loud they are but I do know that I was just fired for not blowing the damn thing long enough.
The new rule states that the locomotive horn must be blown a minimum of 15 seconds until the leading wheels are over the crossing.
15 seconds is a long fucking time when you traverse 400 crossings a night.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I don't know how loud they are but I do know that I was just fired for not blowing the damn thing long enough.
The new rule states that the locomotive horn must be blown a minimum of 15 seconds until the leading wheels are over the crossing.

Fired or fined? If fired, man...that sucks.
Link Posted: 12/7/2006 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fired or fined? If fired, man...that sucks.

In railroad lingo, "fired" usually means given a suspension without pay. It is such a common discipline that many employees have job insurance that will pay them in the event that they are "fired".

"Dismissal" is how a railroader really doesn't want to be disciplined.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top