User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
When I was active Army I saw ARCOM's given out to average soldiers just because they were changing stations.  

Uhhh.... they are service awards - for honorable service.  When changing stations is the primary time they are awarded.  Seriously, unless a Soldier was a complete shitbag, he should get one for his time in the unit.

A guy in one of my units was in that disco in Berlin that got bombed in the 80's and literally got a scratch on his arm.  They gave him the purple heart and he was a total piece of shit.  Really.

That seems odd to me.

I thought the ARCOM was an individual award, for honorable service.

service award... as in "for honorable service"

... Hell, the rest , we didn't even have a formation, they just handed them out(ARCOM, AAMx2, JMSM) all from one deployment.
I don't mean to step on any toes, but it just seems to me the few medals I recieved in the Corps, I earned.

No toes stepped on here - what you just posted sounds like serious stupidity.  Do you know what the write-ups for all that said?  If any were for the same thing, it is very asinine.  The JMSM sounds like it should have been the most appropriate for the deployment in question - assuming it was a joint op and the individual served... well... "meritoriously."  Those that served less than "meritoriously" should have been put in for a lesser applicable award, or none at all.

My first deployment, I did 6 months and came home with an AAM.  That's closer to normal for peacetime.

Things do get stupid, though.  Not only is the National Defense Medal redundant with the GWOT service medal, but now the Army is awarding Overseas Service Ribbons for tours that merit other awards already!  I found this out after my last DA photo, though - so technically I was out of uniform .

I understand, my unit leadership were "gold diggers" and knew how to write them up, i.e., different awards for different "actions". Man, it was sick, it dishonored those that actually earned awards.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
When I was active Army I saw ARCOM's given out to average soldiers just because they were changing stations.  

Uhhh.... they are service awards - for honorable service.  When changing stations is the primary time they are awarded.  Seriously, unless a Soldier was a complete shitbag, he should get one for his time in the unit.

A guy in one of my units was in that disco in Berlin that got bombed in the 80's and literally got a scratch on his arm.  They gave him the purple heart and he was a total piece of shit.  Really.

That seems odd to me.

I thought the ARCOM was an individual award, for honorable service.

service award... as in "for honorable service"

... Hell, the rest , we didn't even have a formation, they just handed them out(ARCOM, AAMx2, JMSM) all from one deployment.
I don't mean to step on any toes, but it just seems to me the few medals I recieved in the Corps, I earned.

No toes stepped on here - what you just posted sounds like serious stupidity.  Do you know what the write-ups for all that said?  If any were for the same thing, it is very asinine.  The JMSM sounds like it should have been the most appropriate for the deployment in question - assuming it was a joint op and the individual served... well... "meritoriously."  Those that served less than "meritoriously" should have been put in for a lesser applicable award, or none at all.

My first deployment, I did 6 months and came home with an AAM.  That's closer to normal for peacetime.

Things do get stupid, though.  Not only is the National Defense Medal redundant with the GWOT service medal, but now the Army is awarding Overseas Service Ribbons for tours that merit other awards already!  I found this out after my last DA photo, though - so technically I was out of uniform .

I understand, It's just my leadership were "gold diggers" and knew how to write up awards i.e. different awards for different "actions". Man, it was sick, it was a dishonor to those who actually earned them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry about the dupe...
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't do it again.

NTM
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
Bronze Star  with V
ARCOM 5th Award with V
AAM 7th Award
Afghan Campaign Medal
GWOT EXP
GWOT Service
Good Conduct w/ 3 Knot rope
National Defense W/ Star
Armed Forces Exp
NCO Prof Dev #2
Humanitarian Serivce( Ice Strom 98, Wild Fires 99 NY)
Nato ( Former Yugoslavia)
Army Service ribbon
Expert Pistol/Rifle
Drivers Badge

Combat Infantry Badge
Expert Infantry Badge
Parachutist basic ( Airborne wings)
Air Assult Badge
Pathfinder Badge

i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/ctuccio/ct.jpg

Pics is from the Gf's Basic Graduation at Lackland

5 ARCOMS with V? Or 1 ARCOM with V and 4 regular ARCOMs, 2 entirely different awrds and worn as different ribbons I believe.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a few from the USAF & USAFR

1.  Meritorious Service Medal (2)
2.  Air Force Commendation Medal (2)
3.  AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device   (4)
4.  AF Organizational Excellence Award
5.  National Defense Service Medal (2)
6.  Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
7.  Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
8.  Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
9.  AF Longevity Service   (3)
10.  Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 1 'M' Device
11.  Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon   (2)
12.  AF Training Ribbon

Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#7]
MSM at the age of 25 as a SGT, US Army, from a LT general. I served in an e-7 position when there were 5 e-7s to take the billett.  They were incapable per the command.  BTW expert rifle, expert grenade, 7 AAMS, 3 ArCOMs and all the other shit.  I had a great 8 years. Maxed the promotion points for SSG in my MOS, only the 3rd to do it in my MOS In many years.  I elected the medical and did not pin it on.  I am still just a SGT in my own mind.

BTW many field grade officers would see me in my dress blues and take a double look at that red MSM!

Bob
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Good stuff, at least you earned it. In A-stan every E-7 and above got a bronze star and never left the wire!
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
Good stuff, at least you earned it. In A-stan every E-7 and above got a bronze star and never left the wire!

And Iraq, its becoming known as the brown star, no V on it, then it wasnt much more than I was in charge of something, etc....
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Awards:
Army Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal (2nd Award)
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal w/ M device w/ Numeral 2
Army Service Ribbon
Overseas Service Ribbon
NATO Service Medal (3rd Award)

Unit Awards:
Valorous Unit Citation
Army Superior Unit Award (2nd Award)

Expert Qual Badge for:
Rifle
Pistol
Grenade
Tank Weapons

Drivers Badge:
Driver-T
Driver-W
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

LOL at least 3 officers (Majors) from my battalion got Bronze Stars - and they never left base (Camp Slayer).  But then again my battalion was overloaded with officers, so this was probably career positioning for them.

AFAIK - Not one of the Warrant Officers or NCO's that were on our Site Survey Teams got a Bronze Star.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Distinguished Flying Cross "V"
Air Medal "V" - not shown
Air Medal - 2nd - 15th Awards
Army Commendation Medal
Good Conduct Medal
National Defense Medal
Vietnam Service Medal - 2 Campaigns (not 2 tours)
Vietnam Cross of Gallantry - 3 Awards
Vietnam Campaign Medal
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Typical ribbon rack for a Squid-turned-Weekend-Zoomie

Air Force Acheivement Medal
Navy Good Conduct Medal
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal
National Defense Service Medal (2)
Armed Forces Expeditionary Service Medal
Global War On Terrorism Service Medal
Navy Sea Service Deployment Ribbon
U.S. Coast Guard Special Operations Service Ribbon
Air Force Longievity Service Ribbon (2)
Air Force Small Arms Expert Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon (For completing Navy boot camp)
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Meritorious Service
Navy/Marine Corps Commendation
Navy/Marine Corps Achievement
Combat Action x2
Presidential Unit Citation Navy
Navy Unit Commendation x4
Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation x4
Marine Corps Good Conduct x7
National Defense x2
Armed Forces Expedtionary x2
South West Asia Service x3
Iraqi Campaign
GWOT Expeditonary
GWOT Service
Korean Defense Service
Sea Service Deployment x7
Over Seas Service x2
Marine Recruiting
Marine Security Guard
Kuwait Liberation (Saudi Arabia)
Kuwait Liberation (Kuwait)

Although I wear these, they are more truly a reflection of the great Marines that worked for/with me over the years.

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 11/30/2006 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Meritorious Service
Navy/Marine Corps Commendation
Navy/Marine Corps Achievement
Combat Action x2
Presidential Unit Citation Navy
Navy Unit Commendation x4
Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation x4
Marine Corps Good Conduct x7
National Defense x2
Armed Forces Expedtionary x2
South West Asia Service x3
Iraqi Campaign
GWOT Expeditonary
GWOT Service
Korean Defense Service
Sea Service Deployment x7
Over Seas Service x2
Marine Recruiting
Marine Security Guard
Kuwait Liberation (Saudi Arabia)
Kuwait Liberation (Kuwait)

Although I wear these, they are more truly a reflection of the great Marines that worked for/with me over the years.

Semper Fi

Amen brother.

Link Posted: 11/30/2006 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Oooo, boy, little early to get the brain out of the funk.  Let's see...

ASM (Thank You for Joining, as we called them);

Overseas Service (Schweinfurt, Germany, 1989-1991);

Good Conduct Ribbon;

National Defense Ribbon;

AAM w/ 2 Oak Leaf Clusters;

Rifle Marksman (Expert);

Pistol Marksman (Expert);

Reserve Service Tie Pin (Never understood that one);

And I THINK I was awarded the Expert Driving Badge, but it doesn't say so on my 214 so I'm not listing it.

and my most proud,

Blue Rope.

Even though I was in during DS1, my unit didn't deploy.  We went TDY to Hohensfeld (SP?) to play OPFOR for units transitioning through the European Theatre, and we traded our Bradleys for theirs (we had the A2's, IIRC).  Like 12 people from HHC deployed in a support role, and I did sign up for that as my secondary MOS was 88M, but wasn't chosen; no others besides those attached to HHC had the option to go.

I was put in for 2 ARCOMS, all busted down to AAMs.  And, believe it or not, I was put in for a Bronze Star as a training award for Alpha Pass, NTC, as my squad was the only one who "survived" and led the Battalion through, which led the Brigade through.  The commanding General himself visited our Bradley as we were recovering, along with an entire squad of officers, including my chain of command.

He talked, but we were so exhausted from MOPP 3 in 120-degree heat for 4 hours of running around on the ground we weren't in the mood to commend the chain of command for their superior training and blah, blah, blah.  Just said, "thank you,sir" and went back to getting re-hydrated.  I later found out this PISSED my CO off to no end; he was furious, and I was probably the only E-4 on post he knew the name of.

That was my first taste of BS Army political mongering out of spite.  My platoon leader put me in for a Bronze Star, and the CO busted it down to an AAM.  Then he pulled my PLDC slot, even though I scored the highest on the board in my rotation (98).  Then he jumped my entire chain of command for having a non-P rated E4 serving as squad leader, and replaced me with an E5 who wouldn't know the difference between intersection/resection and an ORP.  That guy was a clown:  driver to gunner, never dismount.

Then my wife hit me she wanted a divorce.  That was it, and I didn't re-up.  Worse decision I ever made.  I loved soldiering.  

So, thank you Captain Whatever-the-hell-your-name-was for helping a confused young man make exactly the wrong decision because I was too busy soldiering and leading my squad to suck your tit in front of the General of Operations (OPFOR, NTC).  

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 1:01:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I keep getting deployed to fun places... my time is coming im sure....

going to guam for a 60 day AEF in march

what I have in my time so far..

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 2:04:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I used to know,  Pretty much the same as everyone else I suppose.  I'm not even sure where my Class A's ARE.  I have not worn them in four years.  

My only claim to fame is that I'm probably the only one here with Grenada decorations.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 2:41:40 AM EDT
[#22]
USMC Good Conduct
Sea Service Deployment

Only two, but they still mean a great deal to me.

2nd Tank Battalion, 2nd MarDiv - 86 to 90
I would likely have served many more years if not for blowing out my knee falling off the tailgate of a 5-ton. Damn that slippery Ft. Pickett mud!  
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 3:38:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
A good friend of mine who recently returned from his 2nd tour in Iraq, said a guy in his unit recieved the purple heart while they were over there.  Not too uncommon, right?  Well, it was a purple heart, FOURTH AWARD.

He told me the story for this last one.  Supposedly the guy was either taking a dump or pissing, and when started to leave, an Iraqi came up behind him and put a weapon to his back.  It sounded to me like they were trying to take him prisoner, but who knows.  Anyhow, it pissed the guy off, so he spins around, pulls his M9, takes 1 round from the Iraqi, and empties his M9 into the guy.  My friend said that the guy's buddies heard the commotion and when they found him he was reloading the M9 to shoot him some more.

It's hard for me to believe that somebody could get 4 purple hearts, but if it's true, then I think the guy should get a $10,000/month pension for the rest of his life starting immediately.

Yah, my buddy was there for that too.  The guy that got shot was an Intel guy in the 101st ABN.  He carried some sort of badge.  A bullet from the bad guy (an interpreter) lodged in the badge.  It was just like it came from a corney movie.  The guy was on CNN a while back showing his badge with the bullet lodged in it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 3:58:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
This was me graduating Basic in early 2001. No ASR, no NDSM. I don't think they threw stuff at us. (Except rank, I guess)

www.clubi.ie/exalted/images/army/recruit2.jpg

I look a little more respectable now.

www.clubi.ie/exalted/images/nicknessie/ltrack.JPG

NTM

How in the hell did you get a Foriegn Parachutist badge prior to graduating BCT, let alone how did you get them w/o having a U.S. Parachutist badge.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 4:22:57 AM EDT
[#25]
A few of them are "gimmee's" but most were earned. Just took the pic today for this thread. ETA: Yea, I know they aren't centered very well....
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 4:23:32 AM EDT
[#26]
GrandFather's medals.
RAMC.
He just managed to catch WW1, after that was sent to Africa, then stationed in Egypt.
Caught TB 4 times during that period.
Met my Grandmother there and married her.

I remember him saying that he probably would have around 20 medals and awards if he had applied for them.
The reason that he didn't was because he saw a bunch of medals at giveaway prices at the local flea market in England, was very disappointed and decided that the fact that he earned them was what mattered, not the actual pieces of metal.

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 4:25:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This was me graduating Basic in early 2001. No ASR, no NDSM. I don't think they threw stuff at us. (Except rank, I guess)

www.clubi.ie/exalted/images/army/recruit2.jpg

I look a little more respectable now.

www.clubi.ie/exalted/images/nicknessie/ltrack.JPG

NTM

How in the hell did you get a Foriegn Parachutist badge prior to graduating BCT, let alone how did you get them w/o having a U.S. Parachutist badge.

The US Army is not the first Army he has served in.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 4:27:30 AM EDT
[#28]
ARCOM
AAM w/ three Oak Leaf clusters
Good Conduct w/ two knots
National Defense
SW Asia Service w/three stars
Army Service
Overseas Service
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kuwaiti)
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Saudi)

US Army '84 to '92
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 4:31:31 AM EDT
[#29]
24 years in the Marine Corps

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 4:52:56 AM EDT
[#30]

My rack

How it looks on me.

In order of precedence:

1) Reserve Components Achievement Medal (3rd Award)

2) National Defense Service Medal (3rd Award)

3) Iraq Campaign Medal

4) Global War On Terrorism Service Medal

5) Armed Forces Reserve Medal (10 year hourglass, M Device, Numeral 2)

6) Army Service Ribbon

7) Overseas Service RIbbon

8) Reserve Overseas Training Ribbon

Add to that:

Expert Marksmanship Badge with Pistol Bar

Sharpshooter Marksmanship Badge with Rifle Bar (missed the expert by 2)

Four Service stripes (equal 13 years of service)

1 Overseas service bar (not shown) for 10 months of overseas combat service.

Not as fancy as some people here, but I never joined just for the awards; they just come as part of the uniform. Is the pride in service and the bond of brotherhood among fellow soldiers that has kept me in this man's Army.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 4:53:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quite a few "Sergeant Major Avoidance" medals, and the rest are mostly even less interesting.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 4:58:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Others/MyRack.jpg

My rack

i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Others/DSC03297.jpg

How it looks on me.

In order of precedence:

3) Iraq Campaign Medal

6) Army Service Ribbon

Add to that:

Not as fancy as some people here, but I never joined just for the awards; they just come as part of the uniform. Is the pride in service and the bond of brotherhood among fellow soldiers that has kept me in this man's Army.

How do you have three National Defense Service Medals as a young looking Spec-4?  The last three eligibility periods are from 2001-present, 1990-1995, and 1961-1974.  You must be older than you look if you were in the 'nam.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 5:30:24 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

d. Personnel will wear service and training medals and ribbons awarded by other U.S. Services after U.S. Army service and training ribbons, and before foreign awards.

That may be the regulation,  but I disagree with that methodology.

That would imply that a person could, for instance,  join the USAF,   do something very notable and earn the Air Force Cross,  and then later,   leave the AF,  join  the Army,  earn a few middle range Army awards, and have to place them OVER the Air Force Cross,  if I read that right.

I don't think that's proper.

If I were the one to write the regs,    I would assign value designations to each award,  and the awards will be worn on order of descending value regardless of what service they are from.    Some awards will have equal value for any service,   as they represent the same thing.   Good Conduct Medals, for example.    And of course,  some ribbons are
the same in all services.    

In the case where a person has equal value awards from different services,  he wears them according to when he got them.  Current service award comes first,  earliest service comes last.

And all awards earned in any service would be wearable on your uniform no matter
what branch you're in.    You earned it,  you have a right and even an obligation to
display it.      

CJ

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

d. Personnel will wear service and training medals and ribbons awarded by other U.S. Services after U.S. Army service and training ribbons, and before foreign awards.

That may be the regulation,  but I disagree with that methodology.

That would imply that a person could, for instance,  join the USAF,   do something very notable and earn the Air Force Cross,  and then later,   leave the AF,  join  the Army,  earn a few middle range Army awards, and have to place them OVER the Air Force Cross,  if I read that right.

I don't think that's proper.

If I were the one to write the regs,    I would assign value designations to each award,  and the awards will be worn on order of descending value regardless of what service they are from.    Some awards will have equal value for any service,   as they represent the same thing.   Good Conduct Medals, for example.    And of course,  some ribbons are
the same in all services.    

In the case where a person has equal value awards from different services,  he wears them according to when he got them.  Current service award comes first,  earliest service comes last.

And all awards earned in any service would be wearable on your uniform no matter
what branch you're in.    You earned it,  you have a right and even an obligation to
display it.

CJ

Sorry, you are focusing on the wrong part of that.  Service and training are "gimme" bullshit you get from Basic (AF) or AIT (Army), NCO PME courses, crap like that.  Decorations are a whole different ballgame.  

ETA:  That's not always possible.  For instance the AF has a "longevity service" ribbon, but all other branches wear sleeve hash marks.  If you transfer to one of them you should lose the ribbon and wear the appropriate number of hash marks.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 5:38:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Nothing fancy.

Navy Achievement Medal (2)
Humanitarian Service Medal (Yugoslavia Ops)
Joint Meritorious Unit Commendation (Counter-Drug Ops Flagship)
National Defense Service Ribbon (Desert Shield/Storm)
Navy Expeditionary Medal (Yugoslavia Ops)
Sea Service Deployment Ribbon
Expert Rifle Medal
Sharpshooter Pistol Ribbon
NATO Medal (Yugoslavia Ops)
Cold War Service Medal (Never did get around to ordering it)
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 5:44:24 AM EDT
[#36]
None for me,

But my Father has some from Korea. (Army)

Unlce (Army)
Uncle (Navy)
Uncle (Marines)
Uncle (Air Force)
Cousin (Air Force)

I am real proud of my Father and Uncle's that have served over the years.
WWII-Vietnam

Thanks to all that have served.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 5:55:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Sirs, I'm only a civilian and we generally don't get medals for the places we go or things we do, but I am entitled to wear the Civilian Meritorious Service award, Civilian Desert Storm and Desert Shield medal, NATO medal in support of operations in the former Yugoslavia, and Civilian Distinguished Rifleman badge.  I never looked into it but I'm also probably entitled to the Viet Nam Service medal for when my ship was fired on there when I was in the Merchant Marine.  Just my two cents, 7zero1.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Sirs, I'm only a civilian and we generally don't get medals for the places we go or things we do, but I am entitled to wear the Civilian Meritorious Service award, Civilian Desert Storm and Desert Shield medal, NATO medal in support of operations in the former Yugoslavia, and Civilian Distinguished Rifleman badge.  I never looked into it but I'm also probably entitled to the Viet Nam Service medal for when my ship was fired on there when I was in the Merchant Marine.  Just my two cents, 7zero1.

Brother that's a hell of a "rack" for a civilian.  Thanks for your service!  
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 7:26:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#42]
I got a belt buckle for winning a Cowboy Shooting tournament!
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 7:31:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Let me take this opprotunity while so many of you are together in one thread to say "Thank you" to all of you folks who have served and are serving.

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Others/MyRack.jpg

My rack

i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Others/DSC03297.jpg

How it looks on me.

In order of precedence:

3) Iraq Campaign Medal

6) Army Service Ribbon

Add to that:

How do you have three National Defense Service Medals as a young looking Spec-4?  The last three eligibility periods are from 2001-present, 1990-1995, and 1961-1974.  You must be older than you look if you were in the 'nam.  

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#45]
me sporting the "cold steal" pose in 1998

plus these

after being on this site for some time I earned this one

and I just re-enlisted in the ARNG so we see what happens now
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Superior Honor Award/Medal (Individual, State Dept)

Joint Svc Comm x2
Navy/MarCor Comm
Joint Svc Achv
Navy/MarCor Achv
Jt Merit Unit Award
NUC
MC GC x8
Natl Defense x2
Korea Defense
Humanitarian Svc (Mariel Boatlift)
SeaSvc
Overseas Svc x11

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#47]
I have all my grandfathers medals.  West point cadet, korean war.  Col. in Army and sec. to the joint chiefs.  Most them i have no idea what they are for.  Just like our family has no idea what he did in the army except that in Korea he was in Artillery with the Red Devils.   It wasn't until shortly before his death that he just started to open up and let things like living in Japan after the war and working at the Pentagon!  The secrets people keep.      
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The US Army is not the first Army he has served in.  

Sadly, my camera was not very good back then.

NTM
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Keyboard commando:

Eve Online

Planetside

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#50]
National Defense Medal
Army Service Ribbon

My career was cut short by injury.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top