Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/5/2006 10:22:25 AM EDT
Who was the best American General in History and why?

I vote for Patton.
He was an ego maniac but the guy covered ground and wasted the enemy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Kenobi

Oh, wait, US History? knee-jerk reaction says Patton.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#2]
No doubt, hands down, Patton!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#3]
George Marshall may not have been one of the best, but he was one of the most important...
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Washington
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Washington

Charisma above skill?
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#6]
This subject really has to be done century by century.

I vote for Grant for 19th Century
Ike for 20th Century.

Grant did what had to be done to win the war.
Ike had all sorts of political junk to wade through
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#7]
You forgot Curtis LeMay

Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Washington

Charisma above skill?

Yeah, all he managed to do was keep an outnumbered, poorly trained and equipped army in the field against the superpower of his day, and eventually defeat it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Grant probably.

Sherman and Patton were good too, and had similar styles.  Better at moving that fighting.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Washington

Charisma above skill?

Leadership is a skill.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:41:39 AM EDT
[#11]
On sheer talent for tactics:

Nathan Bedford Forrest

No one else is really in the ballpark.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Lee was one of the best, if not the best, IMO. But you guys are talking about army generals, some of the best have Marine generals like Victor Krulak, Lew Walt, Thomas Holcomb and Chesty Puller. You guys need to get out more....
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Grant probably.
Sherman and Patton were good too, and had similar styles.  Better at moving that fighting.

Hmmm. Forgot about Sherman. Well you know these polls. You only get 5 choices.
Sherman was a mean son of a gun, but he sure kicked some ass.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#14]
William Tecumseh Sherman

The first 'modern' General, and the first General who understood the art of logistics and 'total war'.

ANdy
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Sherman was a badass. As long as winning is the main criteria, he scores well.

"War is the remedy they have chosen, and I intend to give it to them."
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You forgot Curtis LeMay

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/Firebombing_leaflet.jpg/200px-Firebombing_leaflet.jpg

You can't really discuss WW2 AAF without Hap Arnold either.  

I would say Sherman, or Grant.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
William Tecumseh Sherman

www.sonofthesouth.net/union-generals/sherman/pictures/general-william-tecumseh-sherman.jpg
The first 'modern' General, and the first General who understood the art of logistics and 'total war'.

ANdy

+1; Why the hell is Sherman not in the poll? He was the baddest SOB there ever was. Most of those other generals didn't have balls (well, Patton did). Sherman didn't give a flying fuck. He burnt cities to the ground just for the hell of it; a true balla Not to mention he looked badd with that full beard. I wish modern military people had facial hair; they could look so much cooler - presidents too, they could look like Lincoln.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
William Tecumseh Sherman

www.sonofthesouth.net/union-generals/sherman/pictures/general-william-tecumseh-sherman.jpg

ANdy

IBTLC

In

Before

The

Lost

Cause

Apologists
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Chesty Puller.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Sherman?
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Gen. Robert E. Lee
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Washington

Above and beyond all others.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#25]
General Tso's chicken
ETA George Washington, damn we need a time machine to bring him here for a while.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Washington

Ding Ding Ding
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#27]
gotta be GW.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#28]

Benedict Arnold's name is usually mentioned in Revolutionary War discussions.  Before he switched sides, he was the most effective field commander of the war.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Who was the best American General in History and why?

I vote for Patton.
He was an ego maniac but the guy covered ground and wasted the enemy.

There are many different types of generals for both wartime and peacetime periods. I guess since you voted for Patton, you are really asking who is the best battlefield commander?  But you also listed a thearter commander and a general of the army. These are all different roles where it is common to find generals not being as successful moving into another role. Thus, it is probably impossible to pick an overall best general.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#30]
My God...I'm going to Agree with Vito.

Sherman.

My vote for most under rated for the dirty little job he got handed. Would be "Vinegar Joe" Stillwell in China during WWII.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#31]
What kind of general?  You know we have five levels

Patton was a great field leader and tactican at all levels up to army level.  He was kinda weak on logistics and didn't have the personality to successfully maintain a coalition force.

He was like Halsey, great bulldog, but every now and again he got baited or bit off more than he could chew-like the Thunder Run to rescue a prison camp 100 miles behind german lines that wiped the entire force out.  IIRC his son in law was reported to be in that prison.  The details escape me.

Ike was probably one of the best leader in terms of high level strategy and politics; I'd rank Washington higher tho.  He was a great planner.  Patton was a great executor.

Mac.....should have been canned after losing the PI.  Nothing stellar about him.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention he looked badd with that full beard. I wish modern military people had facial hair; they could look so much cooler .

All British troops in Afghanistan have been told to grow beards to make themselves look more 'butch' to the locals…

ANdy
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
General Tso's chicken

Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Stonewall Jackson

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#35]
No question about it, Robert E. Lee was the best general America ever had.  I am surprised that he is not 1st on the list or at least on the list.  The Army of Northern Virginia was his creation.
Grant won because he was persistent and had all the cards in his hand.  Sherman was a murderer.
Patton was brilliant but does not compare all around with Lee.
Robert E. Lee, America's greatest general and one of its greatest men.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#36]
There are several ways to evaluate Generals.

Who was the best war strategist w/ their style of warfare?
Who was the best leader of men?
Who won against the greatest odds?

Not to say that Washington was the best at all three, but without him, we would not have won the Revolutionary War.

Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
No question about it, Robert E. Lee was the best general America ever had.  I am surprised that he is not 1st on the list or at least on the list.  The Army of Northern Virginia was his creation.
Grant won because he was persistent and had all the cards in his hand.  Sherman was a murderer.

You need to qualify that rather extreme statement…

ANdy
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

If he was so great hows come he LOST!

He is a loser, Americans only like winners...
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Wahington, Chesty Puller, Max Taylor, Creighton Williams Abrams Jr, George C. Kenney

Oh I picked other.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Grant.  He had the coolest hat.  

Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#41]
I think at the battlefield level Stonewall Jackson is hard to beat (at least in the Valley campaigns and Manassas,though not on the Peninsula). He did so much with relatively few numbers of poorly equipped men. So many other US generals have had superior logistics systems backing them up.
At a strategic level, while Eisenhower,Marshall and Grant knew how to use the power of superior logistics against the enemy, Lee and Washington made the most of poor logistics support.So I have to go with Washington,who won despite poor logistics.

Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#42]
General Theodore Roosevelt Jr.

Medal of Honor Citation:

For gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty on 6 June 1944, in France. After 2 verbal requests to accompany the leading assault elements in the Normandy invasion had been denied, Brig. Gen. Roosevelt's written request for this mission was approved and he landed with the first wave of the forces assaulting the enemy-held beaches. He repeatedly led groups from the beach, over the seawall and established them inland. His valor, courage, and presence in the very front of the attack and his complete unconcern at being under heavy fire inspired the troops to heights of enthusiasm and self-sacrifice. Although the enemy had the beach under constant direct fire, Brig. Gen. Roosevelt moved from one locality to another, rallying men around him, directed and personally led them against the enemy. Under his seasoned, precise, calm, and unfaltering leadership, assault troops reduced beach strong points and rapidly moved inland with minimum casualties. He thus contributed substantially to the successful establishment of the beachhead in France.

Despite the fact that he had to walk witha cane due to arthritis from WWI injuries (for which he probably could have gotten out of service in WWII altogether) he insisted upon being in the first wave to go ashore at Utah beach on D-Day. He literally saved the landing on Utah beach and thereby saved the invasion of Normandy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#43]
General William T. Sherman.

EDIT: General Andrew Jackson deserves an honorable mention.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I think at the battlefield level Stonewall Jackson is hard to beat (at least in the Valley campaigns and Manassas,though not on the Peninsula). He did so much with relatively few numbers of poorly equipped men. So many other US generals have had superior logistics systems backing them up.
At a strategic level, while Eisenhower,Marshall and Grant knew how to use the power of superior logistics against the enemy, Lee and Washington made the most of poor logistics support.So I have to go with Washington,who won despite poor logistics.

Big +1.  John Keegan calls Jackson's Valley Campaign "perhaps the greatest example of manuever warfare in history," or something like that.  Too bad he didn't have an inexhaustible supply of muskets and immigrant cannon fodder.

Bobby Lee, of course.  Longstreet was also a visionary.  Unfortunately, all of these folks are DQ'd.  The question asks about the US military.

Washington.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Tactically and strategically, Sherman wins hands-down, because in typical ARF.com fashion, he did both at the same time

Not only did he understand the art of maneuver in his March to the Sea, he also understood the enemy's center of gravity better than any other Union (or, for that matter, Confederate) general.  

While other generals on both sides were concentrating on the enemy's fielded forces, Sherman understood that the REAL heart of the Southern will was the plantation OWNERS.  Not your small-town farmer, not your city dweller, but the plantation owners.

During his march to the sea, he only burned towns that resisted him--those that surrendered he basically left alone.  He did not burn every farm & crop, just the cotton and the plantations.  He actually showed remarkable restraint in the way he controlled and used his army.

His campaign devastated the economic and material heart of the South, and while individual battles were important, the strategic battle was fought down South from Atlanta to Savannah in 1864.  That campaign dramatically affected the South's ability to wage war as a nation in a way that no other campaign could, instead of simply eliminating the Confederate forces.

ETA:  Check out the book, "Supreme Command: Soldiers, Statesmen, and Leadership in Wartime" by Eliot A. Cohen.  Cohen does a much better job of analyzing Sherman's operational intent than I can.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Washington

Charisma above skill?

Uh no… with an inferior force and massive problems and he won in the end. He did exactly what was needed to win with the circumstances he was given… that is the true measure of a commander.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Washington did a great job of not engaging the enemy.  His job was to keep an army in presense and not become involved in decisive battles until all favor was on his side.

Jackson, Forrest and Lee were all CSA.

Sherman has a shot but never had the verve and audacity of an outstanding field commander.

Patton's 3rd Army in the relief of Bastogne is to my mind among the most brilliant actions by a military unit in the history of US warfare.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Tactically and strategically, Sherman wins hands-down, because in typical ARF.com fashion, he did both at the same time

Not only did he understand the art of maneuver in his March to the Sea, he also understood the enemy's center of gravity better than any other Union (or, for that matter, Confederate) general.  

While other generals on both sides were concentrating on the enemy's fielded forces, Sherman understood that the REAL heart of the Southern will was the plantation OWNERS.  Not your small-town farmer, not your city dweller, but the plantation owners.

During his march to the sea, he only burned towns that resisted him--those that surrendered he basically left alone.  He did not burn every farm & crop, just the cotton and the plantations.  He actually showed remarkable restraint in the way he controlled and used his army.

His campaign devastated the economic and material heart of the South, and while individual battles were important, the strategic battle was fought down South from Atlanta to Savannah in 1864.  That campaign dramatically affected the South's ability to wage war as a nation in a way that no other campaign could, instead of simply eliminating the Confederate forces.

ETA:  Check out the book, "Supreme Command: Soldiers, Statesmen, and Leadership in Wartime" by Eliot A. Cohen.  Cohen does a much better job of analyzing Sherman's operational intent than I can.

Yes and no.

Strategically yes… but from a battlefield command point of view Sherman didn’t have to work very hard a monkey could have handled the tactics for his troops and won… for much of the campaign Sherman was virtually unopposed.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
William Tecumseh Sherman

ANdy

+1
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#50]
For the 20th Century
Patton! He saw the cold war coming before anyone else

For the 19th Century
There were many whom I consider equals. Grany was good but so was Lee, and many of his generals like Longstreet
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top