Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]
My then 6 year old LOVED the Indiana Jones movies, so wore a brown leather jacket, and fedora daily for almost a year.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 4:01:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one, I hope they do indeed make a comeback. Classic Style!
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I will be getting a black or grey Stingy Brim Fedora, but can't decide on just how stingy, and what dentation to get, center/dent, tear drop/dent, pinch or no pinch.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#4]
If they float your boat though go ahead and sport one. I kinda think there extra strength gay myself.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 6:53:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Fedora's are the bomb, I wish they came back....
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Jack Abramoff

It'll take better role models to bring back the fedora.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay, I went to that site that said what kind of what goes with which face, but am having trouble deciphering what kind of hat it says I should get. Here is the description:

1. Deep Full Face; For an individual with a Deep Full Face it is recommended a medium height full crown hat to carry out big facial proportions. A Hat band of narrow to medium width gives needed effect of added crown height. This type of hat will usually look good with a matching hat band. The wide snap brim (between 2 1/2" - 3) should be snapped fully across (almost ear to ear), adds to apparent width, cutting down length of face. This face usually looks well in a Homburg with a flat set brim. If you wear this hat on back of the head it would make the deep full face look too prominent. Therefore, avoid taper crowns and some of the hat crowns that are too high or too low. Avoid tilting your hat to the back too much, this would make the big face to prominent. Slight tilt to the side is O.K. (Quoted from www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/hatfaces.html)

Would this work with that description? I want to get a real hat, but don't one to get one that makes me look like a complete flipping idiot.  
www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2092241&cp=2069836.2064999.2118241&parentPage=family
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to have an IJ fedora, but I've never been able to find it again after we moved. I loved that hat.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the look a lot too.  I bought a couple of fedoras, one black for more formal and one brown Indy-style.  I wore them in the winter but here in the TX summer you really just can't wear them much 'cause they're so hot.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Okay, I went to that site that said what kind of what goes with which face, but am having trouble deciphering what kind of hat it says I should get. Here is the description:

1. Deep Full Face; For an individual with a Deep Full Face it is recommended a medium height full crown hat to carry out big facial proportions. A Hat band of narrow to medium width gives needed effect of added crown height. This type of hat will usually look good with a matching hat band. The wide snap brim (between 2 1/2" - 3) should be snapped fully across (almost ear to ear), adds to apparent width, cutting down length of face. This face usually looks well in a Homburg with a flat set brim. If you wear this hat on back of the head it would make the deep full face look too prominent. Therefore, avoid taper crowns and some of the hat crowns that are too high or too low. Avoid tilting your hat to the back too much, this would make the big face to prominent. Slight tilt to the side is O.K. (Quoted from www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/hatfaces.html)

Would this work with that description? I want to get a real hat, but don't one to get one that makes me look like a complete flipping idiot.  
www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2092241&cp=2069836.2064999.2118241&parentPage=family

Hat vocabulary can be difficult to decifer at first.

This article is saying someone with a deep full face should wear a hat with a wide brim (2 1/2"-3") and a medium height crown (around 4") with little to no taper.

For example, the two hats below would work well for you if you have a deep full face because (1.) they have wide brims, (2.) they are of medium crown height and (3.) their crowns have little to no crown taper (meaning the sides of the crown don't come in towards the center):

Also notice that these two hats have the front brim snapped down all the way across and they ride low on the forehead.  This is how a man with a deep full face would want to wear it (though it depends from person to person).

Here's what you don't want to wear:

Notice it has a low crown, has a lot of taper and a stingy brim (a brim less than 2").  This is the type of hat someone would have worn in the 1960s while the two above are more classic 1930s-1950s style.

The hat you have picked out would make a fine 'outdoors' type hat for you.  It seems to adhere to the guidelines.  The guidelines will also work if you are looking for a more dressy felt hat as well.
Feel free to ask any more questions if you have any.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I like a "stingy brim" straw for casual wear.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I like them.  The last one I had has been captured by my son, who likes to wear it around the house.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
stingy brim straw fedora
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
stingy brim straw fedora

I'm usually not partial to stingy brims but I do like that one.  THat ribbon gives it some color.

Here's my vintage Stetson Panama hat.

Link Posted: 9/23/2007 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#15]

I wanted my granddad's fedoras and other hats.  Grandma sent them all off to goodwill before I had a chance to ask...

Link Posted: 9/23/2007 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
stingy brim straw fedora

I'm usually not partial to stingy brims but I do like that one.  THat ribbon gives it some color.

Here's my vintage Stetson Panama hat.

i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/thunderw21/DSCF1023-1.jpg
Classic
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#17]
This is an interesting thread.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I wanted my granddad's fedoras and other hats.  Grandma sent them all off to goodwill before I had a chance to ask...

That's a shame.  Like you, I wished I had my grandpa's hats but he died a decade before I was born and they got rid of them.  Though my mom says some of my hats look like the ones he wore so that's sort of a link.

Do you have any photos of him wearing them or do you know what they look like?  Finding similar ones wouldn't be hard.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Nice hats. OBird has the right of it. Why the heck did they ever go out of style?

They are very popular up here in the Pacific Northwet during the rainy season.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I love the look of a fedora, but I look like a fucking tard in one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Naw, you just have to find the right one.  And it takes some time to get use to.  Experiment with it.
If you haven't already check out this website to see what kind of fedora fits your face and how to wear it (there are variations of course but in general this site is good):
www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/hatfaces.html
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a fedora-style Pendleton hat that I wear occasionally...
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Naw, you just have to find the right one.  And it takes some time to get use to.  Experiment with it.
If you haven't already check out this website to see what kind of fedora fits your face and how to wear it (there are variations of course but in general this site is good):
www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/hatfaces.html

Trust me, there's no traditional hat that's going to work.

A: I don't dress to fit that kind of thing very often.

B: I don't live in an area where they're even remotely common or seen, so even if I look great in one, it sticks out like a sore thumb and makes me look pretentious.

Like I said, I like them but they just don't work for me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Do you have any photos of him wearing them or do you know what they look like?  Finding similar ones wouldn't be hard.

Yeah, I have some pics.  But the spiritual link isn't quite there...I would feel a deep connection wearing a hat my granddad wore on his way to work at Metropolitan Life, or that he wore when out to visit his clients in their homes.

I'd want that even if all I did is sit in a chair at home with his hat on my head and his pipe in my hand, thinking about the times I spent on his lap in his easy chair as a little kid.

He's been gone 21 years next month.  I guess having a hat wouldn't bring him back any more than the memories do.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#25]
OST - for a hat to match my Wested Radiers jacket made by Pete
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 1:50:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
OST - for a hat to match my Wested Radiers jacket made by Pete

There is one real choice to go with your Wested: an Adventure Bound Fedora.

These are the hat makers for Indy's hat in the upcoming fourth installment of the series.

The guys who make the Adventure Bound, are completely dedicated to screen accuracy and top quality. Their hats were born out of an Indy forum much like arfcom.

You will pay $300 or more for an Adventure Bound, but they are providing more hat than you would get for twice the cost from most other hatters.

Another option is the Akubra Federation or Federation Deluxe. This is actually the route I went. The Federation Deluxe that I got is a very nicely made hat, and is priced under $150. The regular Federation is under $100. Both are close to screen accurate Indy hats and would go awesome with your Wested.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's a pic of me Sage Grouse hunting last year.  This fedora is a Pendleton, sort of a cheap hat.  I also have a black Mayser that I bought in Germany last year.

Link Posted: 9/24/2007 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Here's a pic of me Sage Grouse hunting last year.  This fedora is a Pendleton, sort of a cheap hat.  I also have a black Mayser that I bought in Germany last year.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/xdoctor/0924061147.jpg

This illustrates my point about Fedoras perfectly. That's a great picture, because in that setting, on you and with where you're at, the hat is just perfect. Plus, it's entirely functional.

Looks great like that.

Now, take a retro hat and stick it where it doesn't belong, and you look like a pretentious turd eater.

Both great hats, but the difference is one guy is hunting in the great north west, the other is a douche trying to look cool.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Interestingly enough, the Tilley guys have just started selling Fedoras this month.

www.tilley.com/detail.asp?gender=&extractBy=featured&catId=1&productNo=TF1
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 12:03:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Jack Abramoff
www.seancoon.org/wp-content/postimages/abramoff_gangster.jpg

Link Posted: 9/25/2007 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/xdoctor/0924061147.jpg

This illustrates my point about Fedoras perfectly. That's a great picture, because in that setting, on you and with where you're at, the hat is just perfect. Plus, it's entirely functional.

Looks great like that.

Now, take a retro hat and stick it where it doesn't belong, and you look like a pretentious turd eater.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/gofugyourself/GFY112005/71116795.jpg

Both great hats, but the difference is one guy is hunting in the great north west, the other is a douche trying to look cool.

You gotta love the little mini skirt look with that shirt - looks like a ladies figure skating costume.
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 12:19:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Dude, don't sweat it...so does everyone else....exactly TWO people on the planet actually look cool in a fedora....Harrison Ford and Simon Lebon.....that's it.

and I am certainly neither.....no fedora for me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 12:36:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I wear one daily.

I have a grey one and 2 black ones.
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 1:47:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Jack Abramoff
www.seancoon.org/wp-content/postimages/abramoff_gangster.jpg

No, just a better coat.
That one looks like he bought it on sale at Walmart.
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 5:23:40 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

My face is kinda like the deep full shape and I have that Filson hat...but in cover cloth.  It looks pretty good, all things considered.  Just FYI...the hat isn't really waterproof...it will leak at the seams a bit during a steady rain.  The style/fabric goes well with casual clothing.  I feel like it is about the only hat style other than a ball cap that I can get away with given that I wear casual clothing most of the time.

dvo
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 6:31:47 AM EDT
[#36]
This thread give me hope.

Maybe ar15.com can create a mens fashion revival and bring back hats and pocket squares at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 6:48:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Mr. Abramoff wouldn't be so bad if he didn't look like a villian.  Hmm...
As for the emo/pretty boy...kill it with fire.

This is how I like to dress at least once a week, sometimes more:

My thinking is if you're going to wear the hat you might as well go all the way.  It's definitely not for everyone though, especially with the comment I often get (good and bad).  But it makes it all worth it when the ladies give you a wink.  

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/
http://mrlapel.blogspot.com/
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Around my area the popular style is carhart coats and balls caps.

In all honesty, the only people seen wearing fedoras are young college artsy type people. All honesty, I would not be willing to wear one out in public.

I do hope they make a comeback. It would be something different!

I would rather jump on the Fedora fad that the current tattoo fad! Fedoras are alot easier to remove!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/25/2007 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Around my area the popular style is carhart coats and balls caps.

In all honesty, the only people seen wearing fedoras are young college artsy type people. All honesty, I would not be willing to wear one out in public.

I do hope they make a comeback. It would be something different!

I would rather jump on the Fedora fad that the current tattoo fad! Fedoras are alot easier to remove!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out the Havana Shirt Store
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I wore this today.
The jacket is from the late 1940s/early1950s.  Hat is a Champ from the 1930s/early 1940s and looks a lot like a Stetson Whippet.  The tie is vintage as well.  Everything else is modern that is very vintage in style.

Link Posted: 9/30/2007 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
That is the single piece of clothing from our history that I most hope will make a comback.

+1 and how
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I wore this today.
The jacket is from the late 1940s/early1950s.  Hat is a Champ from the 1930s/early 1940s and looks a lot like a Stetson Whippet.  The tie is vintage as well.  Everything else is modern that is very vintage in style.

i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/thunderw21/DSCF1257-1.jpg

Few people can really pull off the look today.  Hats off to you, so to speak.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wore this today.

i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/thunderw21/DSCF1257-1.jpg

Few people can really pull off the look today.  Hats off to you, so to speak.

Thank you sir.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 4:35:16 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
You gotta love the little mini skirt look with that shirt - looks like a ladies figure skating costume.

OMG people, first it was knives. I was addicted to bladeforums.com. Then it was guns and now I'm here. The computers are an entire mess in themselves. Now hats? Will it ever end! Seriously, I don't have the money to get another hobby!

My dad has a few old hats around somewhere. I have to admit I like the fedora look. One instance in particular that stands out is a lovely shade of purple worn by Timothy Hutton in the Nero Wolfe TV series. I wish I had a good picture of that, I'll have to see if I can find the video and get a screen capture one of these days :D My mom says that I kinda look like him... OK, a bit heavier and dorkier

OK, silly question time. I have to wonder how well a fedora would go with a kilt(tartan or utilikilt)
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 5:56:21 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMG people, first it was knives. I was addicted to bladeforums.com. Then it was guns and now I'm here. The computers are an entire mess in themselves. Now hats? Will it ever end! Seriously, I don't have the money to get another hobby!

My dad has a few old hats around somewhere. I have to admit I like the fedora look. One instance in particular that stands out is a lovely shade of purple worn by Timothy Hutton in the Nero Wolfe TV series. I wish I had a good picture of that, I'll have to see if I can find the video and get a screen capture one of these days :D My mom says that I kinda look like him... OK, a bit heavier and dorkier

OK, silly question time. I have to wonder how well a fedora would go with a kilt(tartan or utilikilt)

I have this distirubing image of some big trucker stepping out of his cab at a truck stop with combat boots, a "utilikilt," arfcom T-shirt, and a Fedora.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 6:00:32 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have this distirubing image of some big trucker stepping out of his cab at a truck stop with combat boots, a "utilikilt," arfcom T-shirt, and a Fedora.

kinda like that cops episode where the trucker had his wallet stolen, and he was giving his story to the cops, while wearing his leopard print leotard...
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I smell a photo shoot coming...

Link Posted: 10/1/2007 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#48]
No one looks as good as Frank Sinatra wearing a fedora - I think he came out of the womb wearing one!
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 7:15:12 AM EDT
[#49]

Thats one of the best non-gun related collections I've ever seen (except for BOTD posts .

Very classy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 7:31:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

The following phrase immediately came to mind, completing your thought (I have no idea why):

"...in Vancouver."
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top