Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2007 9:54:35 PM EDT
I just watched Psycho on AMC, and I'm watching The Birds right now. One thing I noticed was that in both movies the police were sort of bumbling guys who were hesitant to get involved and always looking to explain problems away without having to get into them much beyond the surface. I seem to remember the same thing being true in Dial M for Murder.

So did Hitchcock have something against cops?
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If the cops would have looked into it, they would have discovered what was going on and brought the plot to a screeching halt.

DUH.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I'm probably with lumpy here.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I never thought about it. It does seem that many of his films are about everyday people getting caught up in extraordinary circumstances.

I've been wanting to post this for a while: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC6Zhqg-xTE
REVENGE! I love his promo trailers!
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If the cops would have looked into it, they would have discovered what was going on and brought the plot to a screeching halt.

DUH.

Maybe, but it seems like he went out of his way to make a point of the cops not being very motivated to do anything about the problem. It seems like he was always making it out like the police are no help at all.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#5]
HITCHCOCK QUIZ: What was the name of the theme music of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents?"
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
HITCHCOCK QUIZ: What was the name of the theme music of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents?"

Fuck the Po-lice?
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 11:23:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope... Try agin.

ETA

Oh all right.

It is "The Funeral March of a Marionette" by Gounoud.
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw Hitchcock interviewed on a TV show years ago - might have been the Mike Douglas Show.  He was asked, since he made movies that terrified people, what terrified him.

He said the police scared him.  He said that if he was driving down the street and saw a cop car driving behind him, he'd get very nervous and start to shake.

So... he didn't dislike cops.  They just made him nervous.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 2:32:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Cops not wanting to get involved seems pretty true to life- if you watch any of the shows about serial killers that were caught, most of the time missing person reports and the like are ignored until a body turns up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top