Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2008 1:41:30 PM EDT
I have seen the vest with the 2 IIRC .30cal plates, not the square ceramic plates inserted on soft armor vests but the one in this PIC. Are two of the plates worn or can just the fron one be worn? Enlighten the old man here as the this body armor.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
What are they called, and does anyone know what the NSN# is and the nomencalture. thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#2]
You could just wear one (might as well get a rhodesian vest for that)

Or both, front and rear.

Not sure of NSNs.

Bulletproofme.com sells them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You could just wear one (might as well get a rhodesian vest for that)

Or both, front and rear.

Not sure of NSNs.

Bulletproofme.com sells them.
Thank you sir
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#4]
You're welcome.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#5]
did some more research and found this...Interceptor Body Armor
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have seen the vest with the 2 IIRC .30cal plates, not the square ceramic plates inserted on soft armor vests but the one in this PIC. Are two of the plates worn or can just the fron one be worn? Enlighten the old man here as the this body armor.

Poorly fitted Interceptor body armor.  Plate in the front and back, though you can pull them both out.  It should be snugger, and the back and front should overlap to provide coverage on the sides.  It is standard issue, formerly known as Ranger Body Armor, but is being replaced by the IOTV which has the same basic coverage (same plates) but is rigged to have a quick release handle that you pull and the body armor basically falls apart.  This is to facilitate retrieving wounded personnel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, sorry, didn't realize you wanted the name of the vest itself.

Yeah, Interceptor/OTV.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#9]
There's lighter stuff out there than what the .mil issues.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#10]
The plates themselves might be called ESAPI's
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Poorly fitted Interceptor body armor.  Plate in the front and back, though you can pull them both out.  It should be snugger, and the back and front should overlap to provide coverage on the sides.  It is standard issue, formerly known as Ranger Body Armor, but is being replaced by the IOTV which has the same basic coverage (same plates) but is rigged to have a quick release handle that you pull and the body armor basically falls apart.  This is to facilitate retrieving wounded personnel.

Or getting your armor off in a hurry if you fall in the water, which is how the CIRAS came about, after some Force Recon Marines and a Corpsman drowned.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or getting your armor off in a hurry if you fall in the water, which is how the CIRAS came about, after some Force Recon Marines and a Corpsman drowned.

My friend in the Canadian forces has a Land CIRAS, its fun to pull the holy fuck string

thing takes a while to put back together though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the plate a square shaped plate of more of a wraparound the gut, almost taking the shape of the vest, the wraparound the gut version is what I have seen.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Its more of a rectangle there are separate plates for the sides.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I have seen one that is curved almost to fit the chest, in the shape of that vest, I wish I could find of pic of just the plate that i saw.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#17]
They're called SAPI plates. If you wear both they aren't to bad only one and they hng off your neck cuasing untold agony. It also comes with DAPS, smaller plates to the side
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top