Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2008 2:05:54 PM EDT
I'm going to flush & fill the coolant system in my '04 F-150. There is no radiator cap. I see the little valve for the radiator drain, but can I effectively refill it through just the overflow bottle? Or is there a better way?
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump. Any Ford techs home yet?

I'm thinking I'll disconnect a hose somewhere to let air out and fill via the overflow bottle.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm, I got Prestone Extended Life.

I've got 5 gallons of distilled water. I could flush out all the old pretty effectively.

What's full capacity?

(and thank you)
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Right, not the heritage. Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 2:12:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Okay, got a problem here. I did not see the post just above this one before I started.

I emptied the radiator through the drain valve; got about 10 qts. Then removed the upper radiator hose and got out some more; then removed the lower radiator hose and got more. overall got 18-19 qts out.

I replaced the lower hose and refilled it through the upper radiator hose (where it connects to the thermostat). Reattached that hose and topped off the overflow bottle.

At this point I have refilled it with just distilled water to flush. Put in about 2-1/2 gal.

Started the truck and for a while there was a little heat coming out the heater vents, but when it got up to running temp the heater blows just ice cold. I'm guessing i have air in the system.

What should I do?

Edit: re-reading the post above I guess I should do what it says but maybe now it's too late? All I have left is enough distilled water to mix with the anti-freeze so I need to get it right in one try.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Shut the engine down for a bit, let it sit and the system will usually burp itself.  Re-start the engine and run up to operating temp and top off as necessary.  You might have to do this two or three times.

Yeah, that's actually what I did and seems to be doing better. Sorry for the panic.

Thanks for the help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top