Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2009 2:03:28 PM EDT
can you dial someone up with a 7 digit number or do you have to include the area code?

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, you wouldn't want to do something crazy like trying it out for yourself.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Huh?
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
can you dial someone up with a 7 digit number or do you have to include the area code?

If they have the same area code as you, 7, if not, 10.

how long have phones been around again?
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like eleventy-billion years
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]
need area code for local calls in Dallas

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#6]
this is a heavily populated area.. we have to dial 10 (we've got 2 area codes in the denver area alone)
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I dial 10 unless I'm calling the 928 area code, which is next to never.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#8]
US Cellular sent out a letter awhile back saying we had to start dialing via 10 digit.  Been doing so ever since and no problems...
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Local switch requires 10 digits. Drives me nuts.

Yet another reason to have a phone switch in the house. Translation Patterns FTW.

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#10]
fvcking Verizon is TOO TSTUPID to add a '1' in front of numbers, and will periodically give you the damnable DOO-DEE-DEEP tone from hell after you have dialed telling you to go back and add a fvcking '1'

I LOATHE Verizon.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Same here in DC, MD, VA
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here in DC, MD, VA

Yes. If your locale has more than one area code, you will be required to specify which area code when you place a call.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#13]
It depends who you're calling, and I have NO idea how they determine which is which.  It's a roll of the dice every time I pick up the phone.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's different in different places.

For example, where I'm from you have to dial 10 digits. Doesn't matter if it's your next door neighbor. Some places you can still just dial 7 if it's local.

I believe the OP's poll is to reflect how many have to do one or the other.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I grew up only having to dial 4.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yer old!!

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Cell phone or land line?

Don't have a cell (nor do I want one), but on my landline I just dial 7 unless it is long distance then I dial 1+area code+number.

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Depends if it in the same area code or not.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I just read they are considering that for here. Depending on which Bug Tussel around here I dial I have to dial

7 digits

AC+7 digits

1+AC+7 digits

1+7 digits.

Some tool comes on and tells me what I DON"T have to dial, not what the hell I SHOULD be dialing.

Add three more for new subscribers and they can call my ass.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#20]
After searching through my cellphone all my numbers are the full 10; including those with the same area code.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yer old!!

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yer old!!

Don't feel bad, you can still make calls within the town of Falls City, Nebraska with only 5 digits.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#23]
We only have to dial 3 digit numbers around here. There's only a couple hundred of us.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#24]
What causes this is generally an area code overlay. Basically there aren't enough numbers for a given area. What happens is a reseller/cell phone company buys up a block of #'s from the local telco. If that telco is short on #'s they overlay a different area code for the same region to make of for the lack of numbers. This is what they do to avoid changing your area code.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yer old!!

Hey, at least you're not old enough to remember using exchange names, right?

Uh, right?

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Oregon we have to dial all 10 digits, even if in the same area code.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yer old!!

Uh, right?

Greenwood-26398
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not how it works here in CO. We have to dial 10 digits even is the number we are calling has the same area code.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yer old!!

Uh, right?

We skipped over that technology all together.  I went from climbing the pole out in front of the General Store to having a box on the wall that you had to crank to talk to Mabel the operator.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Utah will soon require 10 digit dialing.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#31]
On my cell I have to dial 10.
At the house 7.
At my mom's aunt's house its like 3 or 4.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not how it works here in CO. We have to dial 10 digits even is the number we are calling has the same area code.

Never thought about it, but is it the same in the 719 and 970 areas?   Can people in the Springs still dial 7?
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, it completely depends on where your at. Some areas are 7d, some are mandatory 10d. Hell, some are 7d long distance!
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Got into the habit of 10d during college (what with everyone having cells from completely different area codes), so I honestly have no idea if I can just dial 7d locally or not.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here in DC, MD, VA

Yes. If your locale has more than one area code, you will be required to specify which area code when you place a call.

Depends. If you have local calling to 2 NPA's you can only 7d one of them.

For example, lets say you can dial 913-123 and 816-234 local. You could dial 123-xxxx and our switch will prepend 913, but to call 816 you HAVE to dial 816. Reason being switches arent smart enough to determine if you meant 913 or 816 when you dia the NXX-XXXX so we automatically add your home NPA to the dialed number.

*EDIT*

Come to think of it, I think we have 1 rate center where they have 7d across 2 NPA's but only for different NXX's, which was a pain in the ass to build out..... I think. I'd have to check with one of my coworkers who actually had to figure it out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#36]
My parents home phone works just fine dialing 7 if the number is in the same area code (hardly ever called a different area code since the one we were in...it covers half the state afterall
).

At college, my cell works with 7 digits for local calls. I usually just dial people that I have programed in my phone anyway, and the area code is programmed in. Know people from 4-5 different area codes. Obviously need 10 digit when calling them.
715 FTW!

(although now that I'm at college I'm in 608... what a bunch of liberals

)

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just read they are considering that for here. Depending on which Bug Tussel around here I dial I have to dial

7 digits

AC+7 digits

1+AC+7 digits

1+7 digits.

Some tool comes on and tells me what I DON"T have to dial, not what the hell I SHOULD be dialing.

Add three more for new subscribers and they can call my ass.

This drives me completely and totally goddamn batshit fucking insane in the area I live in now.

Same motherfucking area code for 200 sonofabitching miles and there is NO making sense of where they drew the line- it's completely fucking random.

Sometimes even phone and fax numbers to the same fucking business are dialed differently.

Fucking worthless assholes.  I hope the cocksucker that set up this ridiculous bullshit dies a long and torturous death and goes to hell.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the last 8 years, all local calls here require the area code before the number.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This drives me completely and totally goddamn batshit fucking insane in the area I live in now.

Same motherfucking area code for 200 sonofabitching miles and there is NO making sense of where they drew the line- it's completely fucking random.

Sometimes even phone and fax numbers to the same fucking business are dialed differently.

Fucking worthless assholes.  I hope the cocksucker that set up this ridiculous bullshit dies a long and torturous death and goes to hell.

For what its worth, and in case your curious....

Local Calling Guide
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yer old!!

I remember 5, not 4.
When I lived in Philly (early 70's) I remember my mom teaching me our phone number...
"HOward 76512" or something like that.
It was understood that HOward meant HO7-6512 (467-6512)
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yer old!!

Uh, right?

awww crap
Note to self: read whole thread in future to prevent unnecessary age outing....
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#42]
In Miami we have two area codes so no matter what you have to dial 10 numbers . I think it's that way in all of Florida.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#43]
7 digits work here for local calls but I usually type area code first anyway.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yer old!!

Uh, right?

You mean like Sycamore, and Bell View?

ETA:  Like PM above, I learned my first phone number as SYcamore 4 7365
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I've got to dial 10 for local calls
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

For example, lets say you can dial 913-123 and 816-234 local. You could dial 123-xxxx and our switch will prepend 913, but to call 816 you HAVE to dial 816. Reason being switches arent smart enough to determine if you meant 913 or 816 when you dia the NXX-XXXX so we automatically add your home NPA to the dialed number.

*EDIT*

Come to think of it, I think we have 1 rate center where they have 7d across 2 NPA's but only for different NXX's, which was a pain in the ass to build out..... I think. I'd have to check with one of my coworkers who actually had to figure it out.
I don't see why it's hard, there just can't be any overlap in the dial plan, and if there is - you'll need the extra digits in NPA

For example:

335-1234

334-1234

This would be perfectly fine, as the NXX is different. Even having NXX-XXXX overlaps in the dial plan are okay, as long as the same number doesn't exist in more than one NPA.

Alternatively (if the switch supports it), you could just have two "route patterns" - one pattern than matches 10d and one pattern for 7d. On the 7d patterns, you'd prefix the called number with the calling number NPA. On the 10d pattern, you'd leave it alone.

Suppose I had these patterns, with this configuration:

419XXXXXX (no called number transformation)

209XXXXXX (no called number transformation

335XXXX (prefix calling NPA)

334XXXX (prefix calling NPA)

And the subscriber  dialed "3351234" from 419-335-1212

This matches 335XXXX, and that pattern is configured to transform the called number by prefixing the calling NPA. Now it becomes 4193351234, which matches the first 10d pattern, and no further transformations are necessary.

Something like that.

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Area I used to live in switched to 10 a few years back.  They were recycling numbers, so conceivably you could have one number and area code and your neighbor across the street could have a different area code and possibly your number (though chance of that would be pretty slim) if they moved in or got a number after the switch.

At first it was hard to get onto, but now living back in another 7 zone I am habitually saying the area code if I am asked for my phone number for anything.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

*EDIT*

I don't see why it's hard, there just can't be any overlap in the dial plan, and if there is - you'll need the extra digits in NPA
For example:

335-1234
334-1234

This would be perfectly fine, as the NXX is different. Even having NXX-XXXX overlaps in the dial plan are okay, as long as the same number doesn't exist in more than one NPA.

Alternatively (if the switch supports it), you could just have two "route patterns" - one pattern than matches 10d and one pattern for 7d. On the 7d patterns, you'd prefix the called number with the calling number NPA. On the 10d pattern, you'd leave it alone.

Suppose I had these patterns, with this configuration:

419XXXXXX (no called number transformation)
209XXXXXX (no called number transformation
335XXXX (prefix calling NPA)
334XXXX (prefix calling NPA)

And the subscriber  dialed "3351234" from 419-335-1212
This matches 335XXXX, and that pattern is configured to transform the called number by prefixing the calling NPA. Now it becomes 4193351234, which matches the first 10d pattern, and no further transformations are necessary.

Something like that.

Haha, I just got completely lost reading that.

Do you mean hard as in having 7d across multiple NPA's? OK, perhaps "hard" was the wrong worng. I should have said "time consuming" because you have to data fill everything one at a time instead of ranging it out.

Much easier to build your routing table as
0-9 local, variable for 7d (Add NPA to ANY incoming nxx)
001 intl
12-19 ld
And then optionally break out any other NPA's you can call local to...
608 - NPA with local calling

If you set up 7d to multiple npas then you have to manually break out each nxx...
123 - add NPA A
124 - add NPA B
125 - add NPA A

Unless you have ranges...
100-125 - add NPA A

But either way, its still a lot of additional datafill you have to do in your table. Rather then setting up 0-9 to add your home npa, then break out 1+, intl and any other NPA you can call locally. And of course operator and N11 shit. Then again it would also have to take into account where you do your local call screening. In our case we actually screen in another table, so just because (In the above example) we have the whole of 608 set as local if we dont find 608-nxx in our local screening table it will kill it.

Hard to say "You should do this" as unfortunately every switch has its own little personality to making things go ring ring ring.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#49]
7 digits here in Jacksonville, FL.  However, if you want to call St. Augustine (at least this is how it used to be––haven't had to call there in a long time), you have to dial 10 digits even though it is the same area code as Jax.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not exactly true. It depends on your distance from other area codes and how your switch (the piece of equipment that generates your dial tone) routing tables are set up.

For example: I live in the peoples republic of Illinois, along the Iowa / Illinois border. I can dial the local Iowa cities just fine and they are area code 563 while my area code is 309.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top