Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2009 2:19:16 PM EDT
I was watching the Jay Leno - Obama interview last night.  Obama said AIG was very important to the economy.

Didn't AIG get 2 rounds of bailout money?  Or no?

There was something else about that interview that seemed weird.  Obama mentioned that we need tighter banking regulation, but forgot to mention that during the Bush administration, Bush and Congress deregulated the banking industry.  That was what allowed banks to start lending to the sub-prime markets.

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

... but forgot to mention that during the Bush administration, Bush and Congress deregulated the banking industry.  That was what allowed banks to start lending to the sub-prime markets.

Um... it was Carter's Community Reinvestment Act, further expanded by Clinton, that FORCED banks to start lending to sub-prime markets.

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Write your Congressman and ask the question
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the real answer is no.

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I understand they don't manage the pension funds but they are the insurance agent for the company that does. It's all smoke and mirrors as far as I am concerned.

As  far as bank loans "I think" deregulation aloud  investment bankers to  make home loans which they normally didn't do.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Rush mentioned this was an internet rumor(and he has a decent record of being factually correct).
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]
i have heard that they hold the teachers union pentions and the other gooberment officals pentions as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
the "deregulation" theory is WRONG.

It was a fed.gov REGULATION that not only forced banks to extend more sub-prime loans, but the same REGULATION allowed these sub-prime loans to be securitized and sold as investments.

Boggles my mind why people think Clinton was so good for the Economy.....

When someone brings "DEREGULATION" up to me, I ask them "what was deregulated".  They have no answer, it is funny, then I explain the whole fiasco to them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#8]
They have something to do with the insurance, which explains why thye won't let them fail because it would affect them for a change. Second, Deregulation was caused by lawsuits against the banks charging discrimination if they weren't giving loans to poor minorities. Ask Obama he helped sue the banks, before he was a state senator. Low post count may suggest you're uninformed or a troll, but around here it's common knowledge how this bank failure was engineered and by who.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Um... it was Carter's Community Reinvestment Act, further expanded by Clinton, that FORCED banks to start lending to sub-prime markets.

That's exactly right.  In answer to the original question, the rumor is apparently false:

snopes says no
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder how many Fed shares AIG owns though?
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Rush mentioned this was an internet rumor(and he has a decent record of being factually correct).

this
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top