Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2009 1:20:26 PM EDT
Which states allow legal CCW and alcohol consumption?

I know Pennsylvania is one.  Anywhere else?

What about open carry and alcohol consumption?
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe Missouri does.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Florida allows it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#3]
You can drink and carry in MN.
The BAC for driving is .08
The BAC for carry is .04

For me, .04 is pretty tipsy and about 6 beers. I won't have more than 2 if I have my gun on me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Carry and booze has 'bad idea' written all over it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Colorado does. You can't be intoxicated, but they haven't made a BAC ruling. Personally I limit myself to one drink.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Texas allows consumption but not in a bar, has to be 51% or more sales from food etc. Not sure on the BAC.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Idaho
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's not the topic at hand, but thank you for your contribution.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Florida allows it.

Really?  I have my CCW, but don't recall that, interesting.

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You can drink and carry in MN.

The BAC for driving is .08

The BAC for carry is .04

For me, .04 is pretty tipsy and about 6 beers. I won't have more than 2 if I have my gun on me.

6 beers = .04?  Maybe if you drink them over the course of four hours or weigh 800 pounds.

.04 and "tipsy" do not equate.

That said, the two-beer rule is a very good idea.

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I will not answer so I am not flamed, BUT, for those of you that say drinking and carrying is a bad idea......If you are at home and have been drinking and someone breaks into your home, will you still grab a gun or will you say I've been drinking and I can't protect myself?

We who carry know when to draw down and when to keep it in their pants

My .02
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So does living in CA and owning guns, but it doesn't stop you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#13]
New York.  Yes, really.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#14]
i know it is a bad idea, but, MA does NOT have any laws against carrying in a bar.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep...

Don't drink and drive, carry, or operate any other dangerous & powerful machinery ....

Simple concept...
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When sober.

When drunk, the chance of extreme-stupid increases and your ability to control your actions diminishes.

And of course, drinking tends to influence your sober 'perception' of how in control you are while drunk...

These are known facts about the effects of alcohol...

P.S. If you are that concerned about what will happen to you at home while drunk, then perhaps you should (a) not get drunk, or (b) drink with a sober person around who can 'protect' you...
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

i know it is a bad idea, but, MA does NOT have any laws against carrying in a bar.

Why would you need them... I thought MA was a "only if your a friend of the sheriff" state.  Correct me if I am wrong please.

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Oregon
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Nevada
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would you need them... I thought MA was a "only if your a friend of the sheriff" state.  Correct me if I am wrong please.

no, we are not NY or CA.  there are a vast majority of towns/cities that issue non restricted LTC's.  Boston is much like NY city though, in regards to issuing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When sober.

When drunk, the chance of extreme-stupid increases and your ability to control your actions diminishes.

And of course, drinking tends to influence your sober 'perception' of how in control you are while drunk...

P.S. If you are that concerned about what will happen to you at home while drunk, then perhaps you should (a) not get drunk, or (b) drink with a sober person around who can 'protect' you...
I can identify friend from foe just fine while intoxicated, but then again I'm hardwired that way.

Jeremy

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#22]
INDIANA OC and CC
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Utah says it's OK.  Just have to stay under .08.

I'm not sure about AZ though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When sober.

ZEE NANNY STATE SHALL NOT BE STOPPED!!!  

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Glock 19- $526
Mtac holster-$80
Night out on Sat- $90

Being able to prove to a police officer that you don't have a single drop of alcohol in your system after a massive adrenelin dump that involves multiple zombies that used to be members of congress..............priceless.

On the other hand, Guns and Alcohol are such a perfect combonation.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#26]
NH allows it, and also does not forbid carry into a bar.

Getting drunk and carrying is a stupid action, but having a beer or two, does not make you drunk.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#27]
P.S. If you are that concerned about what will happen to you at home while drunk, then perhaps you should (a) not get drunk, or (b) drink with a sober person around who can 'protect' you...  or (c) get the intruder drunk!
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Do they even allow you to have real guns in CA.?
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#29]
PA.

You can't be drunk but you can legally carry into a bar and have a drink.  None of this no guns in Applebees crap.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Idaho allows CCW and alcohol consumption (going to bars, etc).  Blowing over the limit will get you nailed hard though.  I think it's a felony.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Florida allows it.

Really?  I have my CCW, but don't recall that, interesting.  

It's true.

You can consume alcohol  in a restaurant that serves alcohol but you must not be seated at the bar; or in any other area in the restaurant or carry in establishment, that derives more than 50% of its revenue from the sale of alcohol.

And do not get caught carrying while legally intoxicated; in fact don't carry when intoxicated even if you don't get caught.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Texas allows consumption but not in a bar, has to be 51% or more sales from food etc. Not sure on the BAC.

Are you sure?  I thought you couldn't have any alcohol in your system at all.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So does living in CA and owning guns, but it doesn't stop you.

Never had any problems having a Sp1, Benelli m4 or m1a in CA....

ETA-
State of California, Department of Justice
Standard Application for CCW License
Section 4 – CCW License Conditions and Restrictions
The licensee is responsible for all liability for, injury to, or death of any person, or damage to any
property which may result through any act or omission of either the licensee or the agency that issued
the license. In the event any claim, suit, or action is brought against the agency that issued the license,
its chief officer or any of its employees, by reason of, or in connection with any such act or omission,
the licensee shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the agency that issued the license, its chief
officer or any of its employees from such claim, suit, or action.
The licensee authorizes the licensing agency to investigate, as they deem necessary, the licensee’s
record and character to ascertain any and all information which may concern his/her qualifications and
justification to be issued a license to carry a concealed weapon and release said agency of any and all
liability arising out of such investigation.
While exercising the privileges granted to the licensee under the terms of this license, the licensee
shall not, when carrying a concealed weapon:
Consume any alcoholic beverage.
• Be in a place having a primary purpose of dispensing alcoholic beverages for on-site
consumption.
• Be under the influence of any medication or drug, whether prescribed or not.
• Refuse to show the license or surrender the concealed weapon to any peace officer upon
demand.
• Impede any peace officer in the performance of his/her duties.
• Present himself/herself as a peace officer to any person unless he/she is, in fact, a peace
officer as defined by California law.
• Unjustifiably display a concealed weapon.
• Carry a concealed weapon not listed on the permit.
• Carry a concealed weapon at times or circumstances other than those specified in the permit.

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm pretty sure that WV allows it. The bar however could post a sign, or ask you to leave. I've carried into bars before, then again I don't like bars, at all. I actually despise them. I also carry when I eat out, if I can.

Jeremy
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#35]
this is what MT law states

Even with a concealed weapons permit, you may not carry a concealed weapon in the
following places:

• buildings owned or leased by the federal, state or local government

• financial institutions

• any place where alcoholic beverages are sold, dispensed and consumed

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Texas allows you to conceal carry and drink but you cant be over .8
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Technically, Utah does.

The state uses the same standard for intoxication for carrying a firearm as they do with DUI:  Anything over .08 BAC and you're considered to be impaired.

http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/getCodeSection?code=76-10-528

76-10-528.   Carrying a dangerous weapon while under influence of alcohol or drugs unlawful.
    (1) Any person who carries a dangerous weapon while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance as defined in Section 58-37-2 is guilty of a class B misdemeanor. Under the influence means the same level of influence or blood or breath alcohol concentration as provided in Subsections 41-6a-502(1)(a) through(c).
    (2) It is not a defense to prosecution under this section that the person:
    (a) is licensed in the pursuit of wildlife of any kind; or
    (b) has a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm.

However, Subsection (b) of 41-6a-502(1) has this catch-all provision:

http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/getCodeSection?code=41-6a-502

(b) is under the influence of alcohol, any drug, or the combined influence of alcohol and any drug to a degree that renders the person incapable of safely operating a vehicle

Meaning that if you're carrying and acting a bit tipsy you're still going to get hit even if your BAC is below .08.

In other words, you should probably not drink at all while carrying because if the police do see you with an open beer while carrying you'll probably get some questions.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No rule against it in NY.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Note to self:  The edit button on Jobrelatedstuff.com is not in the same location as on AR-15.com.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I will not answer so I am not flamed, BUT, for those of you that say drinking and carrying is a bad idea......If you are at home and have been drinking and someone breaks into your home, will you still grab a gun or will you say I've been drinking and I can't protect myself?

My .02

Yes !!!! Finally some logic.

and NH is GTG

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When sober.

There is a difference between "drinking" and "drunk".

And the original post is about what states allow CCW in a bar.

Why cannot people stay on topic.

It's like asking 'what's the time' and getting instructions on how to build a clock.    

Oh, I forgot, this is GD. never mind......................

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

When sober.

There is a difference between "drinking" and "drunk".

And the original post is about what states allow CCW in a bar.

Why cannot people stay on topic.
It's like asking 'what's the time' and getting instructions on how to build a clock.    

Oh, I forgot, this is GD. never mind......................

Actually, the OP said this:

I know Pennsylvania is one. Anywhere else?

But you're right, people in GD do get off-topic quite easily....
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't drink when I carry.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Nevada....just be under .08
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#45]
My post was not pro drinking carry.....it was to the people who say drinking/guns don't mix...(they don't) but they also would pick up a gun in the home if they had been drinking to protect the family.....right?

Shit I would.....But to the OP question....I don't carry if I have been drinking. BUT again, If I carried and drank(not to intoxicated level) I will carry home or wherever I have to go.......I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Texas allows you to conceal carry and drink but you cant be over .8

Do you have a link?

And I think you mean .08.  At .8 you'd be dead.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 12:15:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Well if I had to be shot by anyone I would chyoose to be shot by an intoxicated person with a CCW. Government agencies either have tort limits or unlimited attorney resources. Criminoids generally have zero assets. CCW's on the other hand are generally responible people with vehicles, property, 401k's, stocks and bonds and other assets. They are the ones with money to go after.  If those hard earned assests aren't important than by all means roll the dice risk having to discharge your hand gun after drinking in a bar.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My .02

This is one reason I do not drink. I've never had a drop.

In Washington you can't carry in any establishment restricted to those who have reached their majority, but you can carry in places with other classes of liquor license. You may carry while intoxicated to ANY degree provided you are not breaking any other laws.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#49]
You can in Utah to an extent. It's the same standard for driving a car. .08 BAC
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 12:38:49 AM EDT
[#50]
NH im pretty sure.

I don't really drink though so it's a non issue.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top