Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2009 12:45:52 PM EDT
Anyone have any idea how much money it takes them to build these cars in 7 days??
Parts and labor..

I know alot if not all of it is donated just wondering...

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#1]
For the work they do it would be into the 6 figures considering who is working on it and the quality of parts/worksmanship.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#2]
6 figures is a huge ballpark..

Anyone have anything a little closer??
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know, but I wish Chip would come "steal" one or both of my project cars from my garage. I can live without them for a week.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd say $70K tops.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably depends on the show.

In some shows they take the car down to the frame and rebuild/replace everything from there up.

In a couple of shows they basically did an engine/drive train swap and a paint job.

My guess would be in 'real world dollars' (neglecting the 7 day time frame BS) is that min would be 50k, and the max 100-125k for parts and labor.

But the real expensive part is probably the Foose paintjob...

Id hate to see what he would charge for a hands-on paintjob.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Probably depends on the show.

In some shows they take the car down to the frame and rebuild/replace everything from there up.

In a couple of shows they basically did an engine/drive train swap and a paint job.

My guess would be in 'real world dollars' (neglecting the 7 day time frame BS) is that min would be 50k, and the max 100-125k for parts and labor.

But the real expensive part is probably the Foose paintjob...

Id hate to see what he would charge for a hands-on paintjob.
this.  I bet a hands on foose paint job starts at at least 30k

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Some of the parts and labor are donated....
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Alot of parts and labor are donated for sales pitches.

Foose's labor is most likely free, he is getting paid very nicely by sponsors

I say the show most likely spends about $50,000 for whatever labor that is not a 'give-me' and materials not from sponsors and making a sales pitch.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#9]
If you did it, probably at least 200k. The labor is what would kill you. They do a lot of labor intensive stuff that no one would do in real life because it's not worth the money spent on the labor.

Engines, trannys, suspensions, sound systems, and other big items are donated. Which leaves pretty much just body work, small parts, paint, upholstery and labor.

And it's Overhaulin'

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have to ask, you can't afford it . . .

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I would say 125-150K
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I have heard that they do a bullshit job. It may look good on TV but once its over they walk away and the owner is often left with a half assed mess. I believe the show was sued by one guy who's wife got his car on there and they fucked it up big time to the point where a classic that needed restored was now a botched custom with no value other than it was on the TV show.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#14]
test
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok I'll chime in,
                     This is from someone who really does these things,
This

At this stage of the game, and this is a parts only job,( The cars my moms). 1981 Special Edition Trans Am. Went with a resto-mod job. 301 pulled out along with its lock-up electronic t-350 trans. 1978 400, 1974 4X heads 068 cam, Ram Air III exhaust manifolds, Pypes 2 1/2 xflow exhaust, Non lock-up 350 shift kit, poly suspension, the ENTIRE car torn down and rebuilt. Right now,(and I am far from done), $33,457.00
And thats parts, no labor. Sorry cant charge Mom.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh, and one other thing, I have more than 7days time just in block sanding.
Link Posted: 8/13/2009 2:50:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Good, fast, or cheap. Pick 2.
Link Posted: 8/13/2009 3:04:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/13/2009 3:24:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

OK how did the car really turn out? Hows it holding up? Current pics?

And what did they value the "work" value for taxes?

Link Posted: 8/13/2009 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have heard that they do a bullshit job. It may look good on TV but once its over they walk away and the owner is often left with a half assed mess. I believe the show was sued by one guy who's wife got his car on there and they fucked it up big time to the point where a classic that needed restored was now a botched custom with no value other than it was on the TV show.

I've personally crawled all over and under the 56 Chevy that Overhauling did and was bought by Jay Leno. The vehicle was at the Wyoming Tech facility in Laramie.

The vehicle was flawless.

In other words,  you are repeating bullshit. Kind of like that "you can shoot American ammo out of Russian guns, but you can't shoot Russian ammo out of American guns" bullshit you hear in gun shops.

Until you've personally inspected one of their rides, lines like "I have heard" and "I believe" aren't worth the paper you forget to use when you wipe your ass.

Overhauling recently had a reunion show. About a dozen owners participated. They all seemed very happy. And in a world where media executions of reputations occur on a regular basis, Foose and company's reputation still seems to be pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/13/2009 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK how did the car really turn out? Hows it holding up? Current pics?

And what did they value the "work" value for taxes?

haven't talked to him in awhile but he's on my FB list..I'll ask him

Link Posted: 8/13/2009 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've personally crawled all over and under the 56 Chevy that Overhauling did and was bought by Jay Leno. The vehicle was at the Wyoming Tech facility in Laramie.

The vehicle was flawless.

In other words,  you are repeating bullshit. Kind of like that "you can shoot American ammo out of Russian guns, but you can't shoot Russian ammo out of American guns" bullshit you hear in gun shops.

Until you've personally inspected one of their rides, lines like "I have heard" and "I believe" aren't worth the paper you forget to use when you wipe your ass.

Overhauling recently had a reunion show. About a dozen owners participated. They all seemed very happy. And in a world where media executions of reputations occur on a regular basis, Foose and company's reputation still seems to be pretty good.

I think the owners of the Olds 442 would vehimently disagree. Perhaps the dozen owners who particiapeted are the ones whose cars are still running. I am not putting down Foose's work. It is top notch but not in 7 days. You can bet he takes more time wet sanding his real projects then he does "Overhaulin'" the cars that appear on the show.

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I gotta a response from a buddy that has his car done for the show:

"there's some truth on both sides...it really depends on the mechanics or the shop that put the car together... fortunately i had a good chief mechanic... however they said that they would never do it again, because to do it right u need more time... for the shop that did my car... it cost them more to do the show than it was worth.... now the production is wack.. they do not adhere to the contract at all regarding routine maintenance for a year... my brakes went out while driving down hill..... my u bolts popped out.. and they did nothing but put me off.... last year they wanted me to do a reunion show because chip likes my car.. i declined... all but two people from my overhaulin' class were disgusted... when we did the first reunion show a couple of years ago... no one could drive their car to the track but me and the corvette.... everyone else had to be towed and tuned up to drive at the track....  show business.... i don't think that part is chip, it fall on the produciotn co.... and the network....  speaking from experience....  it's a hard show to do, right... and they need to put about 100k more per episode..... all in all i love my car :)"
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Some (most) of those cars "Overhauled" on the show were worn out POS rust buckets when the overhaulin show got them. The owners neglected and drove them into the ground and let them get in that "I'll get around to rebuilding it someday" condition before the overhaulin crew got them.
Why is is such a stretch to think those same owners neglected those same cars after they were rebuilt for them for FREE.
Those are classic cars, with some high end components added to them. They will require some maintenance to keep them in top condition. What are the odds that those overhauled cars aren't getting that maintenance? They didn't take care of them before, why expect them to now?
Probably more like they are just being driven until they quit again.

But the bottom line is this. WHATEVER overhaulin did to repair and restore those vehicles is more than they ever would have gotten from their owners. Most of those cars would still be worn out POS rust buckets, sitting under a tarp rotting away if overhaulin hadn't came along and rescued them.

I'd let them do one of my cars in a heartbeat.
But I'd go over it bolt for bolt when I got it back...
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 5:49:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Some (most) of those cars "Overhauled" on the show were worn out POS rust buckets when the overhaulin show got them. The owners neglected and drove them into the ground and let them get in that "I'll get around to rebuilding it someday" condition before the overhaulin crew got them.
Why is is such a stretch to think those same owners neglected those same cars after they were rebuilt for them for FREE.
Those are classic cars, with some high end components added to them. They will require some maintenance to keep them in top condition. What are the odds that those overhauled cars aren't getting that maintenance? They didn't take care of them before, why expect them to now?
Probably more like they are just being driven until they quit again.

But the bottom line is this. WHATEVER overhaulin did to repair and restore those vehicles is more than they ever would have gotten from their owners. Most of those cars would still be worn out POS rust buckets, sitting under a tarp rotting away if overhaulin hadn't came along and rescued them.

I'd let them do one of my cars in a heartbeat.
But I'd go over it bolt for bolt when I got it back...

Excellent point. Dozens of satisfied owners who have had their cars overhauled, a couple (or less) people bitching that Foose did a crappy job. Who are you going to believe?

Link Posted: 8/17/2009 6:02:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Is this show even on any more?

I mean NEW episodes my tivo hasnt had any in years?

Link Posted: 8/17/2009 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#27]
We've donated parts to a couple of the builds and they have bought parts for a couple of builds. If you had to pay for the labor and the parts most of the cars (complete builds) would be in the 100-125k range with the paintjob and new wheel builds in the 20-30k range.  The biggest deal is that you can't rush the paint & body work like that - it just doesn't give the material time to breath/shrink/offgas.  In the end the cars are good 15-20 footers.  I have heard on a few builds that they have gone back and touched up some of the body work after the show is done.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 6:55:37 AM EDT
[#28]
I've built a few cars for customers previously almost to that degree of quality. I would say anywhere from $35K-$55K.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I work for a company that was a major Overhaulin' sponsor for a few years - one of the larger companies in the muscle car parts business. Anyway, I've done one of the shows, and I can tell you it's a bitch! The cars really are built in a week, which means there are some short cuts. Typically the components used and the people doing the work are first rate, it's just the time thing that causes the trouble. Some cars turn out better than others, for sure. After the car is built it is supposed to be checked over completely by the production company before it is delivered to the owner.

It's also a good idea to remember that virtually all hot rods give trouble. The more extensively modified the car, the more trouble it will give. That's true for everything we've built - from $50k cheapies to the $200k bad boys.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ok I'll chime in,
                     This is from someone who really does these things,
This
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c255/pjg43/Picture705.jpg
At this stage of the game, and this is a parts only job,( The cars my moms). 1981 Special Edition Trans Am. Went with a resto-mod job. 301 pulled out along with its lock-up electronic t-350 trans. 1978 400, 1974 4X heads 068 cam, Ram Air III exhaust manifolds, Pypes 2 1/2 xflow exhaust, Non lock-up 350 shift kit, poly suspension, the ENTIRE car torn down and rebuilt. Right now,(and I am far from done), $33,457.00
And thats parts, no labor. Sorry cant charge Mom.

I had a SE 79, i wish i still owned her. I kick myself every time  i see one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top