User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 11:56:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kilts are hawt.  

Why are there any posts in this thread beyond this one?  You guys can beat each other off all you want over the sausage fest appeal of kilts, but women do indeed like them.  

Except for the trailer trash crackwhore I ran into at a truck stop in Denver... But I think she was just nuts anyway. How the hell do you argue with a woman that wears dirty sweat pants anyhow?

I have a UK, might get another one, and plan on getting a real kilt in the proper tartan when I get around to it(Irish and Scottish blood on my fathers side, even if it is a little ways back).

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 2:07:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 3:22:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Kilts are hawt.  

A woman has spoken on a subject of fashion, us guys can shut up now
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 3:24:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm 100% irish and I think kilts best left to big dudes who are competing in the Highland Games and Pipers.

Maybe, just maybe, they can be appropriate for formal wear. Weddings and funerals only.

Wearing a kilt otherwise just makes you look like a tard. Do you see guys in scotland wearing them for every day wear? No.

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:03:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:

I'm 100% irish and I think kilts best left to big dudes who are competing in the Highland Games and Pipers.

Maybe, just maybe, they can be appropriate for formal wear. Weddings and funerals only.

Wearing a kilt otherwise just makes you look like a tard. Do you see guys in scotland wearing them for every day wear? No.

As a matter of fact, Eng, you do see some highland Scots who wear them near daily. I'm Scots-Irish, and I wear mine mostly for formal functions, but occasionally to the pub. I'm also going to try and get the command to approve my wearing the Air Force tartan with my mess dress.

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:30:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
LOL @ all the "freedom of movement" and "not as hot as pants" skirt-wearers.

Are you serious?  If I told you pantyhose kept you warmer in the winter and reduced chafing while "operating in an operational enviroment" would you wear those too if they came in flat dark earth or marpat?  What if I slipped Nutnfancy $250 to review them on his retarded youtube rants?

friggin fruitloops trying to grasp at scottish culture they have no dogs in.

Should I get some wooden shoes because I'm dutch?  Maybe tactical wooden shoes for doing spetnantz style backflip tommahawk throws?

Well, those are actually facts about kilts, and being as I'm Scottish, it's not exactly like I'd have a cultural or utility-related reason to not wear one...

And since you mentioned wooden shoes, there are actually plenty of people who use them in industrial environments instead of steel-toed shoes.  So, yeah, depending on circumstances, one could be pretty-well justified wearing them.

For as much of the "tacticool utility" as people around here seem to stress, it's sort of funny that an extremely utilitarian design gets ragged on so much "because it looks fucking gay".  ACU looks pretty fucking gay, too (and compared to a lot of other camo patterns, it isn't worth fucking shit), but no one seems to make fun of civilians for buying ACU assault packs to use every day during their 15 minute commute in downtown Dallas.

pants are utilitarian

skirts are not utilitarian

thats the reason why women wear pants these days.  

Tacticool gearwhores are another story.  If you want to blend-in, don't dress like GI Joe,
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:32:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm also going to try and get the command to approve my wearing the Air Force tartan with my mess dress.

You're in the Air Force?

Then I stand up and yell a loud, kilt-less, "HELL NO!!" for you modifying the AF Mess Dress.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:33:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So, let me get this straight.

For a guy to wear a skirt called a "kilt" is manly and cool, but to wear a skirt called a "Japanese schoolgirl outfit" is weird and creepy.

That is exactly how it works.

ETA clarity...KILTS FTMFW
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:33:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
buncha manly men arguing about fashion and clothes...now that's pure comedy.... :)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Buncha manly men arguing the merits of wearing skirts based on very loose and distant cultural ties and "the utility of keeping balls cooler"

Men very concerned about the tempature of their balls.

And a couple of ladies that like it.  But are probably confused with the traditional and cultural use of the garment being totally out of place in American society.  Probably the same women that are always trying to paint their husband's nails
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I dont dress a certain way because women like it. I dress how I dress because I like it. This give my balls more freedom and ventilation than you kilt ever will.

People who say "girls like it" when referencing why they must do something could read the above statement all night and still not get it.

Unless you're going commando with no pants or shorts, I don't think there's much else out there that gives one's balls more freedom and ventilation than a kilt.  If you'd like to elaborate on what you think is better, please do - I'm interested in seeing what works better than something with no crotch as far as ventilation and freedom of movement go.

Dude how much fucking ventalation do your boys need?

Seriously.  Do they choke wearing pants?  Do you arrive refreshed and invigorated after having an "airy" day with your balls?

I pack mine in my pants like everyone else.  At the end of the day, they complain about as much as my kneecaps for being in pants.  Its no big deal!  I don't even notice it.

Now I understand there is a religion out there that teaches how to breath through your scrotum......(I shit you not, the guy who invented Alcoholics Anonomouys followed that stuff), but face it, you have two holes to breath through.  Your sack is just fine in man-pants.  I'm not going to describe this any more.  Your father should have basically ingrained this for you, but you must have gotten distracted during the "boys = pants" lesson playing Atari or something  Balls don't breath!

Now, from a "utilitarian" standpoint.  Pants = better.  Because your balls, which everyone is suddenly worried about their freedom like they are colonized africans or something, or their breathability, which they don't do...... Temperature is a big factor in how they operate.  Too cold, from drafts and you end up having slow swimmers.  Maybe thats what the furry manpurse is for?  For warming the balls?  Protip# 3279  men don't carry purses.  Especially for their balls.  Protip# 3280 men don't let women carry THEIR balls in their purses.

Pants FTW.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:39:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Yeah.  Kilts are amazing chick magnets.  You will get jealousy from whomever they are with.  When a female poses the question "what do you wear under there?" Respond with "on a good day?  Lipstick"

But, adjust your brightness dude, for all we know you are standing in a trash can full of Heiniken bottles.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:47:05 AM EDT
[#12]
In Scotland, acceptable.

Anybody wearing one here in the U.S. is probably a bagpipe puffer.

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:47:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I dont dress a certain way because women like it. I dress how I dress because I like it. This give my balls more freedom and ventilation than you kilt ever will.

People who say "girls like it" when referencing why they must do something could read the above statement all night and still not get it.

Unless you're going commando with no pants or shorts, I don't think there's much else out there that gives one's balls more freedom and ventilation than a kilt.  If you'd like to elaborate on what you think is better, please do - I'm interested in seeing what works better than something with no crotch as far as ventilation and freedom of movement go.

Seriously.  Do they choke wearing pants?  Do you arrive refreshed and invigorated after having an "airy" day with your balls?

I pack mine in my pants like everyone else.  At the end of the day, they complain about as much as my kneecaps for being in pants.  Its no big deal!  I don't even notice it.

Now I understand there is a religion out there that teaches how to breath through your scrotum......(I shit you not, the guy who invented Alcoholics Anonomouys followed that stuff), but face it, you have two holes to breath through.  Your sack is just fine in man-pants.  I'm not going to describe this any more.  Your father should have basically ingrained this for you, but you must have gotten distracted during the "boys = pants" lesson playing Atari or something  Balls don't breath!

Now, from a "utilitarian" standpoint.  Pants = better.  Because your balls, which everyone is suddenly worried about their freedom like they are colonized africans or something, or their breathability, which they don't do...... Temperature is a big factor in how they operate.  Too cold, from drafts and you end up having slow swimmers.  Maybe thats what the furry manpurse is for?  For warming the balls?  Protip# 3279  men don't carry purses.  Especially for their balls.  Protip# 3280 men don't let women carry THEIR balls in their purses.

Pants FTW.

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:48:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In Scotland, acceptable.

Meat Missile has spoken.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:52:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In Scotland, acceptable.

Meat Missile has spoken.

Talk about irony.

This thread is the greatest morning entertainment I've seen in a while.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:58:22 AM EDT
[#16]
The previous half dozen posts have moved this thread from to
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 5:08:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In Scotland, acceptable.

know how i know your ghey ?
you wear a kilt (skirt) & you aren't  scotish or in scotland ! !  
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 7:13:03 AM EDT
[#18]
My wife is Scottish, She grew up outside Glasgow. I have lived in Scotland.

Read this: SCOTSMEN DON'T WEAR KILTS.

Only tourists, American/Canadian wannabe Scotsmen, and Englishmen at English weddings wear kilts.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 7:15:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a "sport kilt" in my Clans tartan. I must say the wife looks pretty dame good in her "mini kilt" and kneed high boots as well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 7:15:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So, let me get this straight.

For a guy to wear a skirt called a "kilt" is manly and cool, but to wear a skirt called a "Japanese schoolgirl outfit" is weird and creepy.

no as long as hes got the legs for the stockings its not creepy at all.. or so im told..
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Gay.

For those without Scots-Irish ancestry perhaps, the rest of us identify with our millennia old ancestral heritage.

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Don't be hatin' the Palace Guards. They are badasses. The minute the SHTF, the bearksin busbies come off, and they start shooting. They were about the only ones in 1940 who shot at the Germans. They don't fuck around!

BTW Laz, cool avatar.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 7:22:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Kilts are hawt.  

The Lady has spoken, all you haters can just chew on that a bit.

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#24]
had a friend back in high school that marched to the beat of his own drum
he decided he was gonna start wearing kilts  he caught hell from the guys and even the school told him to take it off
i stopped messing with him when he was getting attention from the ladies like it was nobodys business...
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#25]
If you want to wear a skirt then move to San Francisco.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I still don't think some people are getting it. Some points.

1. "Scots and Irish don't wear them! If you wear one you are a POSER!!!"
-No. What the Scots/ Irish/ British/ French/ Canadian/ African/ whoever wear is up to them. Im not trying to reclaim some sort of Scottish ancestry by wearing a kilt. I do think it is cool that because I have some of that ancestry, and a registered tartan, I can represent that on my kilt, but my enjoyment of wearing a kilt is not based on that at all. It would be one thing if I was wearing some sort of obscure, uncomfortable piece of clothing with little utility (the aforementioned bone in the nose, the fruit hat, the schoolgirl outfit) but that is not the case.

2. "In modern society people wear pants. Only pants. Pants have the most utility of everything!"
-No. Go check out a couple of kilt forums for outdoorsmen. You will see that many people who have tried hiking/sports/whatever in a kilt really enjoy it. This is for the same reason people enjoy doing those things in athletic or hiking shorts. The more freedom of movement you have, and the cooler you are, the longer you can enjoy whatever activity you are performing. To the poster above who said pants are "keeping your boys warm so you dont lose sperm count" obviously knows nothing about anatomy. Hint: There is a reason you have a scrotum. that's all I'm going to say about that. Also, I live in a warm climate. the times when I feel it is too cold to wear a kilt around? I will wear pants. I will also wear pants to any functions I feel a kilt would be out of place.

3. "If you wear a kilt YOU ARE GAY!!!!!"
-ok. Check this out. If YOU have an idea that YOU can become a homosexual by wearing a piece of clothing, then guess what? YOU ARE ALREADY GAY!

4. "Skirts are for women! A kilt is a skirt! You're a crossdresser!"
-False. In fact, in most places around the world, men can be seen wearing unbifurcated clothing. Now, traditionally I hate that argument, because I don't give two shits what people are doing "around the world," but this is merely an issue of utility and comfort. You CANNOT tell me a kilt isnt comfortable.

5. "A kilt is a costume for people who are trying to draw attention to themselves!"
-Well, it's certainly not a costume. As I've said it is a comfortable and functional piece of clothing, and no more a "costume" than any other single piece of clothing. That being said it DOES draw attention. And I don't see that as a bad thing. Of course there are some insecure oafs who will call you out about it being "gay/goofy/lame," but in my experience hanging out with people who wear kilts, the VAST majority of attention is from females who think kilts are hot. Once again, this isn't a big reason for wearing one, but I don't mind a little extra attention from the ladies, and if you care for a guys opinion on clothing more than a girls....well just think about that for a bit.

In closing, I stand by my argument in an earlier post. The reason more people don't wear kilts is because they are probably pussies too scared of getting judged by other men, and so they jump on that bandwagon. That's fine, wear what you want to wear, just realize that you are missing out on an incredibly comfortable and enjoyable piece of clothing because you are a pussy.

P.S. For those who are not against kilts, but just don't like them due to personal taste, this is not an attack on you, and I don't think you are a pussy. Once again, clothing should be worn for comfort and utility in most occasions, and if you personally don't want to wear one that's fine. This post is to all the guys saying it's lame without ever trying it and who will not try it because they are scared.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#27]
I used to think a kilt was a skirt. Then I saw Rob Roy.
The traditional wool great kilt was 15 square yards of clothing, sleeping and shelter goodness in the cold, rainy, windy, British Iles when survival was in fashion and clothes from Filson, L.L. Bean or some such didn't exist. I could see wearing one if TWAWKIE.
Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

http://www.historichighlanders.com/belted.htm
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now I understand there is a religion out there that teaches how to breath through your scrotum......(I shit you not, the guy who invented Alcoholics Anonomouys followed that stuff), but face it, you have two holes to breath through.  Your sack is just fine in man-pants.  I'm not going to describe this any more.  Your father should have basically ingrained this for you, but you must have gotten distracted during the "boys = pants" lesson playing Atari or something
 Balls don't breath!

Pants FTW.

You really want to know about my ball sweat in 90* weather with 85% humidity?  
 Those bastards need all the help they can get.  A/C coils would work better than anything, but those are sorta bulky.

Arfcom men carry purses, they just call them "tactical shoulder-mounted LBE".  A Versipack might be a manly purse, but it's still a purse.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only tourists, American/Canadian wannabe Scotsmen, and Englishmen at English weddings wear kilts.

A lot of people will miss (or ignore) this little tidbit.

Well any of us who've been to Scotland will ignore it as patently untrue.  I spent a month all around the country and saw hundreds of Scotsmen in kilts.  Some were in touristy locations, but others were simply wearing them in a work/office setting.  They may not be everyday wear for most Scotsmen but the notion that none of them ever wear them is absurd.  Like most absolutes, it defies logic.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of people will also miss, or ignore, the fact that Glasgow is lowland Scot, not in the Highlands. Lowland Scots rarely, if ever, wear kilts.

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
http://www.kiltmen.com/celeb-fred.JPG

Also, Right Said Fred says wearing a kilt is gay.

No... just because he's gay doesn't mean the Kilt is gay.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm also going to try and get the command to approve my wearing the Air Force tartan with my mess dress.

You're in the Air Force?

Then I stand up and yell a loud, kilt-less, "HELL NO!!" for you modifying the AF Mess Dress.

Backstop, you'd be surprised how many people in the military wear a formal kilt with evening/mess dress. Looks sharp as hell. And if you think the ladies like a formal uniform, they love it even more in a kilt. Kilts have a long standing tradition with not only British/Scotish military, but the US as well. Do a little research.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Rather than ask us what we think...I think you should ask yourself, "Why do I want to wear a skirt?".  I will support your decision regardless.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#35]
were you born in Scotland?

do you have a British passport?

has anyone of your family been to Scotland in living memory?

if you answer no to any of these stick to trousers (or if you answered no maybe it should be pants)
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So i have a question for the members of this site. I've been looking at kilts lately and I think they're pretty great. Im half Scottish, so it might be the bloodline or whatever. But they're great. I was going to see who agrees with me? Im not talking about the crowd who thinks they look nice as a dress uniform (though I agree it does) but rather to the boys who think its awesome to wear one to a pub or just wherever. Let me know your thoughts on this the most badass of non-bifurcated clothing!

Wait a minute here! You say you're only HALF Scottish. Therefor you are only permitted to wear HALF a kilt.

Please do NOT post pics.

I'm only 1/8 Scottish

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't have a dog in this fight, but people that wear wooden shoes shouldn't throw.....any kind of footwear.

That is so 2001, but I LOL'd!
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You're in the Air Force?

Backstop, you'd be surprised how many people in the military wear a formal kilt with evening/mess dress. Looks sharp as hell. And if you think the ladies like a formal uniform, they love it even more in a kilt. Kilts have a long standing tradition with not only British/Scotish military, but the US as well. Do a little research.

Well damn.

I'll just take your word for it.

I do know an Int Med Doc that wore jams to a Dining In.

I was there as a guest, and thought the Hosp Comm was gonna have a stroke right then and there.

(I didn't know it at the time, but jams were those long, Hawaiin, flowery, shorts that surfers used to wear)
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#39]
I wouldnt mind having a feileadh-mhor (Great Kilt) to wear to the Ren Fest. But they are way to expensive.
These are closer to what the Scotts actually wore in the 1500's.

As for my Scottish ancestry. Its probably purer Scottish than most the people currently living in Scotland right now.  See the Mountain men Hillbilly thread..

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Take up the Great Highland Bagpipe, get a kilt.

In that order.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Do you guys wear crotchless thongs to help your balls breathe better too, along with your skirts?. Mine are smothercating in my  pants and boxer briefs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Do you guys wear crotchless thongs to help your balls breathe better too, along with your skirts?. Mine are smothercating in my pants and boxer briefs.

Boy, I thought I had seen some stupid comments in this thread, but that one takes the cake.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you guys wear crotchless thongs to help your balls breathe better too, along with your skirts?. Mine are smothercating in my pants and boxer briefs.

Boy, I thought I had seen some stupid comments in this thread, but that one takes the cake.

See you guys gett all butthurt
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Do you guys wear crotchless thongs to help your balls breathe better too, along with your skirts?. Mine are smothercating in my  pants and boxer briefs.

Your not suppose to wear anything. Makes it real quick and easy to hump your gf or significant female friend or somebody else's.

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Utilikilts ftw...
I have one. Great on the trails. Girls love 'em...

I have a survival Utilikilt.  It holds 12 beers and facilitates access for my ol' lady

But yeah, they sure are expensive.  I only got mine because my MIL overheard me express vague interest in one at a Celtic festival and gave me a gift certificate for one that Christmas.

ETA:
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of people will also miss, or ignore, the fact that Glasgow is lowland Scot, not in the Highlands. Lowland Scots rarely, if ever, wear kilts.

Lowland and highland, as well as the Isles of Harris, Lewis (they still speak Gaelic there in some villages), Uig, Stornoway (an adventure in itself), all the way to John O'Groats: you can tell who is not a Scot: the guys wearing the kilts. You see more Scotswomen wearing kilts, however. In Scotland, as well as else where, they are the ones who wear the, uh, pants.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Kilts are hawt.  

Pay attention to the lady as opposed to those insecure with their manhood...

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top