User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 39
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#1]
charm school by demille.  author was on jack carr a little bit ago
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Meier's book was a good read. He is sent to defend Berlin and witnesses the end of the Wehrmacht.  He is captured and was supposed to go to Siberia for three years but managed to get lost during the prison camp shuffle and got himself discharged early.  

Now reading Nomi Prins' Permanent Distortion.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Simpson's Audie Murphy: American Soldier.  It explains a lot about his ability to shoot, scrap and his post war beating of the man who tried to carjack him.  As a child whenever he and his friends were going to get into a fight, Audie always squared off against he biggest boy on the other side.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Enemy At the Gates......interesting to note while reading it that the movie by the same name only covered one or two chapters......
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Just finished Simpson's Audie Murphy, American Soldier.  Now onto Curt Whiteway's Brave Men Don't Cry.  Curt Whiteway served in the 99th Division, Battle Babies.  They were at the front for two weeks when Wacht Am Rhine (Battle of the Bulge broke out).
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AlvinYork:
Enemy At the Gates......interesting to note while reading it that the movie by the same name only covered one or two chapters......
View Quote

William Craig's book was my introduction to sniping.

Per British Historian Anthony Beevor that duel never took place.  See his book Stalingrad.  WW II British Sniper Sergeant Harry Furness also researched it (and he had the biggest collection of sniper books) and couldn't confirm the duel.  Supposedly the duel was born of jealousy between 8th Army Commander Chuikov and one of his division commanders whose sniper got a lot of publicity in Red Star Newspaper, so Chuikov had to choose his own champion to promote.  Additionally, Chuikov does give the same account of the duel in his book as did Zaitsev.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Riter:

Per British Historian Anthony Beevor that duel never took place.  See his book Stalingrad.  WW II British Sniper Sergeant Harry Furness also researched it (and he had the biggest collection of sniper books) and couldn't confirm the duel.  Supposedly the duel was born of jealousy between 8th Army Commander Chuikov and one of his division commanders whose sniper got a lot of publicity in Red Star Newspaper, so Chuikov had to choose his own champion to promote.  Additionally, Chuikov does give the same account of the duel in his book as did Zaitsev.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I would imagine that Beevor was probably correct. Soviet propaganda during and after the war was rampant. It does make for a good yarn though.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#8]
No One Ever Asked Me by Omaha Indian Hollis Stabler.  Stabler was a cavalryman who transitioned to Armored Cavalry and then to the 2nd Armored Div.  He landed at Morroco during Operation Torch.  BTW, his unit was composed of whites and they had mohawks during Torch.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Daniel Smith's Memoir of World War II in Europe.  Smith served in the 30th Infantry Div.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Currently half way through A Machine Gunner's War by Ernest "Andy" Andrews.  Author was in Co. H, 2nd Battalion, 16th Infantry Regt., First Infantry Div. in WW 2.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:42:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#12]
There Breathes a Soldier by Lawrence Healtey, 81st Infantry Div.

ETA:  Trains for two years in America before going overseas where he fights on Anguar and then Peleliu and finally Leyte.  Occupation duty in Japan.

F*cking sucks what happened to PFC Heatley.  He's away fighting the war and his father dies.  His overworked mother who mortgaged the house to open a restaurant/cafe which is very popular then passes.  The bank forecloses on the restaurant and the house and lets the new buyers take everything in the house before legal proceedings allow his aunt/uncle to try to recover some family possessions.  New owners are wyte trash & tosses a lot of his father's books, their clothes into the furnace for heat.  SSG Heatley gets home, knocks on the door and finds almost everything gone.  He is told he can recover what he wants from the basement.  He walks away with five of his father's books as his inheritance.

But hey, it's Detroit and we now know it would have happened anyway.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Stalingrad:  Memories of Hell
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#16]
The Armalite AR-10: World's Finest Battle Rifle by Joseph Evans
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Adkisson’s Infantry Lieutenant.  80th ID in WW2.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Right now I'm about halfway through a complete collection I found on Kindle of Clarence Mulford's Hopalong Cassidy stories, written before the First World War. The world was sure a different place, and Hoppy was a very different guy from Bill Boyd's depiction, much as I love it. Last one I read was Ordnance Went Up Front, another very good read.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Just started Omar Bradley's A Soldier's Story.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Jack Carr talking about the old JC Pollack books from the 80s made me buy em on Amazon. I read them back then when I was a wee lad and Im reading Centrifuge now.  That was the one with his buddy that kept a razor blade in his mouth.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2023 12:04:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#21]
Lt. Col. Leslie W. Bailey's Through Hell and High Water.  He served in the 135th Infantry Regiment, 34th Infantry Division.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Artem Drabkim Voices of Russian Snipers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Project Smoke - Raichlen
Hardcore Carnivore - Stone
Charcuterie - Ruhlman & Polcyn
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Defeat in the West
Milton Shulman
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Just started Omar Bradley's A Soldier's Story.
View Quote

used in part as the basis for Patton movie. Some say that is why Bradley comes off so well in the movie. I've read that while friends Patton and Bradley were not always friendly towards each other. I really should read it again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Cinema Speculation by Quentin Tarantino
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:19:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#27]
Anybody read Andy Rooney's My War?  He was a correspondent attached to the 8th Air Force and got the scoop on the capture of the Remagen Bridge (he wasn't that far away).  I've read most of Ernie Pyle and one fellow who was embedded with the 32nd Infantry Div. in Luzon.  

Drabkin's Voice of Russian Snipers confirmed much of my research which was published as WW II Snipers.  There were a few new things I learned which made it worthwhile.

Just pulled John Walter's Voice of Snipers to read.  ETA: Having trouble reading it.  It's not that John doesn't write well, but I went through his bibliography and with the exception of one book, I read all of them.  Virtually everything he cites I've read before.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:26:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#28]

used in part as the basis for Patton movie. Some say that is why Bradley comes off so well in the movie. I've read that while friends Patton and Bradley were not always friendly towards each other. I really should read it again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Brad does mention Patton's faults but acknowledges that if you wanted to capture ground with alacrity, you get Patton.  Patton was a good fighting general but could be a difficult subordinate.  Brad doesn't mention the Biscari Massacre in his book which Patton wanted to be swept under the carpet.  Biscari is mentioned in my own book because the perpetrator of one of the twin massacres later became a sniper (and there's an image of him with "Mable", his rifle).

Since we're on the subject of George, here is a Patton story:

During WW II, the Germans looted art that belonged to Jews or from conquered nations. They had to store it somewhere until the war was over at which point the art would be displayed in public museums or be in the private hands of high ranking Nazis. Herman Goering was prominent among the looters. Anyway, one storage place was the Merkers mines. Sculptures, papayri, rugs, mosaics, paintings and a lot of gold bars and stolen gold were there.

It was captured by the Allies and Ike, Bradley, Eddy (XII Corps) and other generals went there to inspect it. There was only one elevator down and they were all on that single elevator. Patton said,"If that clothesline should part, promotions in the United States Army would be greatly stimulated."

Ike wasn't too happy about that crack and in the darkness silenced Old Blood 'n Guts, "OK, George, that's enough. No more cracks until we are above ground again."

As we know, no one died from that visit and the officer in charge of securing it was told by one fellow that he could take a helmet filled with US gold eagles. He estimated it at $35,000. When he tried, he couldn't lift the helmet and placed the gold back into the bags. After all, he had more important things to do.

Source is The Monuments Men. It's the story of the soldiers who were in charge of securing monuments, art and archival material.

ed: sp
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Battle Babies.  Divisional history of the 99th Infantry Division in WW2.  Started this morning and 1/2 way through.  Fun read so far.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By lew:

I read that a few months ago. Talk about uplifting. Still, a very important book.
View Quote

just ordered it.
View Quote

Prepare to be so mad you cry...
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 11:52:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#31]
Battle Babies was a good read.  I have particular interest in it b/c a sniper I wrote about was in that division.

James Goultry's The Second World War Through Soldiers' Eyes: British Army Life 1939-1945.  If you enjoy Bell Irvin Wiley's Life of Billy Yank or Life of Johnny Reb, Goultry's work is similar.

ETA:  Excellent book and if you want to learn a historian's style for research and writing, this book is very helpful to read and study.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 1:07:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Andy Rooney's My War.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 12:19:45 AM EDT
[#33]
British Interrogation Techniques in WW 2
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:58:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By hellishhorses:

Prepare to be so mad you cry...
View Quote

I'm a zhid and the Nazis also did a number on my non-Jewish family. File me under the "not a fan of authoritarian ideologies" column, please. I've been to Dachau. Ordinary Men should be required high school reading, along with Eric Hoffer's True Believer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#35]
I had to look up zhid.  Lurned me sum thing new everyday.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:45:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: osprey21] [#36]
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Just started Bill Mauldin's (WW II Joe & Willie cartoon in Stars and Stripes newspaper) auto-biography, The Brass Ring.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#38]
M. H. Kunselman's Sketches and Memories From WW II.  Kunselman was bounced around several units including the 28th ID and finally the 106th (Golden Lions that lost two out of three regiments at the Battle of the Bulge).  Kunselman's regiment was not trapped behind the Our River.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#39]
A Man Worth Knowing.  Hans-Georg Neumann was a signal officer in Rommel's DAK signal coy
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#40]
On to Frances Eugene Liggit's No... Not Yet.  Liggit served in the 45th Infantry and was at Stalag 3A when it was liberated by a Soviet tank battalion led by a woman (See the book, Simple Sound of Freedom about a 101 Paratrooper who escaped and joined her battalion).  When it became apparent that the Soviets were going to use American PoWs as post-war bargaining chips,Liggit walked away and reached American lines on his own.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#41]
With the Old Breed, by E.B. Sledge
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:09:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nagsheadlocal] [#42]
The Verge - Reformation, Renaissance And Forty Years That Shook The World by Patrick Wyman.

The subtitle should have been "Why Western Europe Developed While The Rest of the World Didn't." Covers the period 1490-1530 and offers an intriguing analysis of how the age of exploration combined with the rise of the state, the development of printing as a business, the formation of banking and monetization, the rise of modern professional militaries, and the role of the Protestant Reformation in free inquiry to produce the basis of the modern world. Even examines how the Ottoman Empire stumbled after the death of Suliman the Magnificent.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Dirk Chervatin's Eastern Front: 500 Letters from the War.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Bugles and a Tiger by Masters. Kind of a prequel to The Road Past Mandalay
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Robert Griffith's Riflemen: The History of the 5th Battalion, 60 (Royal American) Regiment, 1797-1818.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Street Without Joy

It's about he French debacle in Indochina - a good read so far.

View Quote

Fall's Hell In a Small Place and Ted Morgan's Valley of Death should be read as companion pieces for Dien Bien Phu and the twilight of France's involvement in SEA.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Special Tasks by Pavel Sudoplatov
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Listening on Audible. 46 hours long!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#49]
From Soup to Nuts by Nigel Henson

A memoir by the Rhodesian Light Infantry's longest-serving Fire Force commander.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Been reading Soldat.  It's the taped recordings of German PoWs in British custody.
Page / 39
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top