User Panel

Site Notices
12 hour shifts (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:06:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chromekilla] [#1]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
Anyone here do 12 hour shifts? As opposed to 8hr days.

Was wondering is you like the 12’s or hate them? And why.
View Quote

8 hour shifts suck.

4-10's on patrol is the best.

I worked 12's in the jail. Night shift 3-6 am starts to get pretty tired. Not much to do, but still having to pound copious caffeine ain't the best.

10-s and 12's are where it is at. There is no better schedule than 4-10's. 12's may be ok, if you get 1 hour to workout or something on shift.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:29:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hodgescl] [#2]
Used to work 12s, two on two off, three on two off, two on three off , two in two off.   It’s hard on the body, especially nights. Now I work five 10’s then have four off. The last day of working three twelves feels physically worse than the last day of 5 10s.

But with twelves you only work 15 days a month and the schedule is very regular, day of the week wise. But I’ve been told there are studies showing guys who work 12s are more likely to get complaints, or do stuff like fall asleep and wreck your car on the way home.

I would rather work anything but 12s

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL

never

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#5]
We(corrections) are bouncing the idea of 12's around . Some are dead set against it who have never even worked 12's before and many seem to like the idea . I worked for 2 companies who went from 8 to 12 and would love it as you only work 6 months a year . We are so short staffed Admin is worried that when people call off it's hard to Staff the facility . You can't just close posts with 100 inmates in a building . We are already "froze" into mandatory 16 hour doubles almost once a week , at least with 12's we would get 3-4 days off a week . The Staffing issues are not easily solved but these doubles are ridiculous .
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I spent 29 years in an aluminum can plant working 3-12's on and 3-12's off. 8 weeks on days and 8 weeks on nights. I have sleep issues to this day.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gamboolman:
I worked 12 hours shifts  (Tours) in the Oilfield for many of the  43 years I worked in the Oilfields all over the world before I retired effective 1-Feb-21.

All you do is work.  If Offshore - you get off Tour and clean up and eat at the Galley and have  a couple hours maybe...if not working overtime.  As a Construction Superintendent  Offshore, I had daily meetings at end of the day and then reports to do at the end of  the day and I rarely ate at the Galley as I would eat in my office.  By the time all that is done you will put in 14 to 15 hours per day.  Sleep abit and get up and do it again for at least 28 days straight.  Many times I worked over and one year I was Offshore 9 months of the year.

I worked 12 hour Tours onshore and it was tough to make a drive to/from work.  But you do it  as it is your job.

I was gone working either offshore  and overseas or when on land I left early and came in late.  I did not get to spend much time with my kids and I regret that to this day.  But I had to make a living and support ms gamboolgal and the kids.  So it is what we did.  But I do regret being gone so much.

If you can get oversea's and work  28/28 that is the best I ever had it in 43 years.  You will actually be at work  and in transit for 30 to  31 days but then  you will have 26 to 25 days off and you can really spend a good amount of time with the family.  I only  worked 28/28 for about 5 years and it was the best I ever had it.

It helps tremendously  to have a supportive wife.  I did and it is the only way you can be gone so much.  I have seen many marriages fail in the Oilfield....

12 hour days leave no time for family.  But if that is your job then that is what you have to do.  At least for me that was the way it was.  

View Quote

How much did you make doing this on average?
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
3,4,4,3 12’s

Maximize consecutive days off…
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone here do 12 hour shifts? As opposed to 8hr days.

Was wondering is you like the 12’s or hate them? And why.
View Quote

It can be a pain, we do 3 on, 4 off, 4 on, 3 off. That 4th 12 can be a pain when you aren't exactly a spring chicken anymore, but the days off are nice.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 11:39:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#10]
Love it.

I work 4 12's and have a 3 day weekend every week. Granted I'm salary so there's some work from home and extra days but generally that's what I do.

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#11]
This dept has their 12’s like this

2 days on

2 days off

2 days on

3days off

2 on

2 off

3 on
View Quote

That’s called a Panama Schedule.

3 x 13:20 with four days off is awesome, but it ends up being 3 x16, and then they start asking for people to work extra shifts, and training and it starts to suck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 2:17:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combatcanine0508] [#12]
I worked 8hr shifts on through to on call 24/7 depending on the job.

Most I worked strait was when I was a CO after 9/11 and Iraq contracts. Work 12 to 24 per shift (if you can call it shifts) then called out 3 hrs after shift ends so you can go on a raid or conduct a patrol or call out to search vehicles coming in to the FOB.

Then again state side working plain cloths armed security for big wigs in the bay area.
I basically lived out of my truck for a few days a week. Showering at gyms sleeping in my tundra standard bed 4 door truck...I'm 6'5 so it was fun.
Killed myself trying to make as much$ as I could while  I could

I know you guys know what I'm talking about putting making $ over family. We all do it but it will take it's toll sooner or later

Yeah 12 hr shifts are the best I ever worked.
Even if you live out of your truck a few days a week because your over 200miles from home and getting a motel for half what you made that day doesn't make since. Along with the 2hr drive one way every 12hr shift. So that' would be a16+hr a day shift with drive time

12hr is great, along being on call for 24hrs cool.
8hr shifts suck and I could always count on getting forced hired on the way out of the gate of prison or or DOD contract site.

10 or 12 hr shifts are great if you can get on the schedule.

4 /10s or 12hr shifts at 3 on 2 off 2 on 3 off.

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:45:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By IPay4YourEBT:
I work 24 on 48 off. Best schedule ever
View Quote

Wrong.

24/72 is best for busy EMS systems.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Hybrid schedule here...

11.5 hrs. Work Mon-Wed every week, or Fri-Sun every week. Work every other Thurs. Gives you 3 days off one week, 4 days off the next.

Some of my coworkers tried the Pittman/Panama schedule for a few months as an experiment and hated it. Absolutely miserable. The only ones who don't like this schedule are the people who have to make up the schedule lists.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jcarrol:

Wrong.

View Quote

Yeah, I work a 24/48 and I hate it. I used to work a 9 day with Kelley day (every other day for three shifts, off for 4). It could wear you out but the 4 off was nice. The 24 / 48 is brutal as you are always coming or going. You never get a real weekend off, you always have to use a trade or vacation / holiday leave to go anywhere. A lot of departments are moving to 48/96 and I would prefer that. We are an ALS department and run ambulances too. The thought is we could swap out ladder crews for ambulance crew and pumper crews for ambulance crews on most shifts to avoid being worn too thin.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 1:05:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jay1321] [#16]
Why I love 12s is because I get a three day weekend every other weekend and get a whole week off with taking two days of PTO.
I work from 0600 to 1800 Wednesday-Thursday, then I'm off Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
I then work the next week Monday-Tuesday from 0600 to 1800 and then off Wednesday and Thursday then I work Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Once I come off my long week and take off Wednesday and Thursday I get the whole week off with only 24 hours used of my vacation time.
I hate 8's is because I was on them with my prior department and I was suck on 3-11 and as a young man I did not have any time for a social life or time to be with my prior relationships which caused issues.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 1:11:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jay1321] [#17]
Originally Posted By Jay1321:
Why I love 12s is because I get a three day weekend every other weekend and get a whole week off with taking two days of PTO.
I work from 0600 to 1800 Wednesday-Thursday, then I'm off Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
I then work the next week Monday-Tuesday from 0600 to 1800 and then off Wednesday and Thursday then I work Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Once I come off my long week and take off Wednesday and Thursday I get the whole week off with only 24 hours used of my vacation time
View Quote

Whoops was meant to edit not quote
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MOMIL:

Yeah, I work a 24/48 and I hate it. I used to work a 9 day with Kelley day (every other day for three shifts, off for 4). It could wear you out but the 4 off was nice. The 24 / 48 is brutal as you are always coming or going. You never get a real weekend off, you always have to use a trade or vacation / holiday leave to go anywhere. A lot of departments are moving to 48/96 and I would prefer that. We are an ALS department and run ambulances too. The thought is we could swap out ladder crews for ambulance crew and pumper crews for ambulance crews on most shifts to avoid being worn too thin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MOMIL:
Originally Posted By jcarrol:

Wrong.

I agree with all of this except the 48/96 but I am 3rd service EMS so we can't hop on a pumper.

24/48 would suck.  Also the 24/72 allow us to build in an 8 hour  training day every 4 weeks so we don't have to worry about anything when it comes time to recert.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Currently work the old 6 on 3 off rotation with 8 hour shifts.

We are currently trying to switch to 4 on 5 off 12 hour shifts.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I did 3 years of 12s.  Fuck 12s.  Went back to 10s, couldnt be happier.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Beauseph:
Currently work the old 6 on 3 off rotation with 8 hour shifts.

We are currently trying to switch to 4 on 5 off 12 hour shifts.
View Quote

6 and 3 8s is the worst schedule I've ever worked, by far.  I was exhausted by the 4th day and almost never had a weekend off.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
12 hour shifts (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top