Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2008 3:21:15 PM EDT
So im making a German foreign jump tommorrow...

what do the the correct bronze wings look like?

i have seen a pair that were completely bronze

OR a silver pair with a bronze wreath that were much larger ( in the pic it looks gold).

anyone know thanks.

Link Posted: 10/20/2008 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The ones on the top photo.  The ones below are cheap repos they sell at places like Gen Jacksons.  Have fun tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks.... everywhere i have been carries both. anyone able to confirm the above poster?
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The way alot of German decorations such as qualification badges go is each color such as silver or gold means the number of jumps and things like that.  Thats one thing to keep in mind.

When a friend of mine was in the 82nd years ago, he jumped with the Honduran airborne and they gave out the wings.  Perhaps the Fallschirmjager will do the same?
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I earned German wings 8 years ago but ze Germans didn't give them to me.  I wear the ones in the top photo for years because thats all I could get my hands on before I lived in Germany and bought the real ones in the bottom photo.  

OT.  If anyone has a lead on some real Italian wings, I'd like a set.

Opps.  I had my words mixed around.  If you read my first post, you will see I meant the ones on top were real.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 3:56:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Having earned my German Master Jump wings in '81. The bottom one shows the correct color...the wreath is the designation of Basic/ Senior/ Master, unless things have changed since I retired in '93, and they very well may have...if you're doing your jumps at the LL/LTS Luftlande/Lufttransport Schule at Altenstadt bei Schongua...I'm sure you'll be retiring to the Unteroffiziersheim (NCO Club/ Home) afterwards...there used to be a shop right outside the door there where you could buy regulation wings and other German Airborne stuff...and congradulations, Gluck Ab!

You don't have to go to Jumpmaster school to earn the Master Parachute Badge...Master is 50 jumps...Jumpmaster or Absetzer (Dispatcher) is a separate school and badge..the badge is an embroidered cloth gothic "A" worn on the sleeve...

Cheers,

Lou
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 4:31:56 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.hessenantique.com/Bundeswehr_Insignia_s/638.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachutist_Badge

Tell us what they give you!
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#7]
AAR

ok did the jump today here at bragg.

C-160... 2 less engines than a C-130 and a little shorter in length. Looks a lot like a C-130.

Jump commands were simple, straightforward and similar to ours. The German aircraft  had a horn to audibly let you know when you had greenlight. They waited to open the doors until after stand up hook up and equipment check...    about 3 minutes before the green light. This is a lot different to our jumps where I have rode around with the doors open for awhile before even leaving our seats, felt kinda surreal and different standing there with your static line over your shoulder ready to exit and yet no door to exit from and no noise. Once the door opened we knew it was on though.

There was a fold out wind deflector on the downwind side of each door which helped keep the massive prop from blasting us and throwing us in twists. There also was no step or ramp outside the door like with the c130, just a small lip. This all made for a smooth and controlled exit without the usual blast from the side like you had just stepped into a hurricane. Felt equal to or better than a c17.

Jumpmasters were professional and looked like what a Paratrooper should look like. They held a high standard. Nice, friendly, not condescending or negative to our troops.

No wind on Sicily, others chutes collapsed on their heads after they PLF'd. Don't see that much. I pulled a very gently forward slip which I prefer for a good PLF's, I like a little drift.

Anyway at the ceremony we received the completely bronze wings i pictured in the upper pic. No certificate though. I'll have to chase that down thru S3 air.

Good times and one of my better and favorite jumps.

Ach...tung.........

Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Congraduations.  On a differant note, sort of, I saw a display today at work and the wings in the bottom photo with siver and bronze were displayed as the German Para wings.  

Maybe once upon a time those were the official ones but I've only seen the completley bronze ones as the real deal.

Good luck with chasing that stuff down.  I had to get a notary translater to do my German wings certification and I had to turn all that in to get orders.  I don't even want to start with my Norwegien.  What a nightmare.  Maybe someday I'll do those orders along with my Italian.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#9]
The germans only give us the crappy Bronze wings.

it doesnt matter i like my Australian wings better

FREE
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Total hijack here but I thought I would share. One of the good things about being in Group for so many years is lots of TDY and lots of joint training in Central and South America. The result, lots of eye candy for a self admitted "Badge Finder"
Peru
Bolivia
Columbia
Chile
Uruguay
Venezuela
Argentina
Brazil
Spain
Ecaudor
Paraguay

I have some from Honduras too but they are exact replicas of USMC wings. Most of these were earned in the actual country of origin or in a neighboring country during joint training of some sort. Except the Spanish that were from Red Flag in Nevada but were in a Spanish C130 with Spanish JM.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#11]
You win, DoorKicker.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Total hijack here but I thought I would share.

Your hijack is welcome. lol. Nice wings.
Link Posted: 10/23/2008 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#13]
At least you weren't foolish enough to jump with the French...I was
Link Posted: 10/23/2008 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I got mine around 98. The top ones are correct but I wore the bottom ones on my A's and nobody ever said a thing to me. My jump sounds like yours, same aircraft and everything. That alarm bell is nuts because in our ac's that is a bad thing. When I did mine they yelled and shoved each jumper out.

I got a very nice certificate too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2008 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I got my German wings at Bragg in 2001 when they brought their C-160.

I got my Brit wings in 2005 on Arnhem DZ jumping Brit gear out of a Brit C-130J on the 60th Anniversary of Operation MARKET GARDEN.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top