Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2006 7:34:27 AM EDT
Well I am thinking of converting my rifle to a Canadian C7A2 "Style" Rifle
I have been thinking about it and I find it to be a good idea. I am planning on selling
my CMMG Government Profile Mid length Barrel and getting a CMMG Government
Profile Full Length Barrel. I already have a Voltor Modstock on my lower, so a barrel
change is all that is needed.

The way I look at it you get the advantage of;

-Full length gas system
-Extended frag range
-Higher velocity
-Versatility of the collapsible stock
-The fact that the weapon system was designed around the 20" barrel anyway
-If I decide I don't like the 20" barrel I can always have it cut down to 18"  

Now for the drawbacks;

-It is long / not as maneuverable with 4 added inches
-Looks kind of funny
-Weight

To me the advantages outweigh the drawbacks, but I would like the opinions of the fine people that are part of the community here.

Thanks Everyone
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is my .02.

I am not MIL however I am LEO and have been to the CC factory quite a few times. Having conversed with the design engineers on the subject too. The quality is there but unfortunately the end user input isn't.

pros:

-adjustable stock. About time.
-coloured furniture. why just green when they are depolyed in the sand right now? but a good move to go coloured at least.
- ambi-safety - I'm not a southpaw but atlease there was some thought there.
- Norgon mag catch - see above
- grip storage - cant recal if they got the grip storage version of the ahndgrip or not. if they did good.

cons:
- do you really need a full length barrel? - front heavy, urban room clearing makes life harder and you can likely get away with 16 inch barrel (SFW barrel so they can retain Bayonet mounting ability) for most applications.
- ambi charging handle. good idea badly executed. Copy of the DPMS version. it gets hung up and looks like an aberration.
- Triad - good concept but front heavy with accessories attached. Why not a RAS system? it seems if you are going to go with RAS accesories then you should the RAS, dont go cheap.
- Stock - they like the orginal version due to the ability to decontaminate. there is better out there IMHO. ie: LMT SOPMOD (which doesnt need to be for SF guys only).

Mark
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally, I think it's a bad move but it depends on how you plan to use your AR. If this is for high power competitions or long range varmint shooting fine. Otherwise I seriously doubt you will really see any substantial benefits going from a 16" middy to a 20" rifle. On the other hand you will definitely feel your AR become longer, heavier and harder to maneuver. All bad things if this is being setup for defensive purposes. I would rather have a 16" middy with a fixed stock then a 20" rifle with a collapsible stock.

Quoted:
To me the advantages outweigh the drawbacks, but I would like the opinions of the fine people that are part of the community here.

Right there is all that really matters. I have finally figured out that asking people on the Internet what they think is pretty much a waste of time. The only way to know if something will work for you is to try it.

What I would suggest is, if at all possible, keep your middy upper and buy the 20" upper that you want. Try them both for a while side by side to determine which one really works better for you then sell the one that loses.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a slick side M16 upper from Sarco and an A1 upper from CDNN, both on CAR lowers with tele stocks, I love'em.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone know what profile barrel (inch wise) that is on the C7A2?

Justin
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Very good points all around thanks.

I decided I'm going to go with the CMMG 18" SPR barrel with the rifle length gas
system instead it should give me exactly what I'm looking for with the added
benefit of the shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I love the C7 and C8 series.  I just wish we could get the cold-hammer-forged Diemaco/Colt Canada barrels here.  A couple members have gotten their hands on them by hook or by crook, but IIRC they're all supposed to go to military customers and are not supposed to be exported from Canada to the USA.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I love the C7 and C8 series.  I just wish we could get the cold-hammer-forged Diemaco/Colt Canada barrels here.  A couple members have gotten their hands on them by hook or by crook, but IIRC they're all supposed to go to military customers and are not supposed to be exported from Canada to the USA.

Actually Colt Canada is making 500 LE6920's for Colt USA a month. They export stuff from Canada every week...tons of stuff goes back and forth. Crappy thing is that the US market gets more CC stuff than the Canadian market.

About the profile of the barrels, they are 20 inch Gov't profile.

Mark
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I decided I'm going to go with the CMMG 18" SPR barrel with the rifle length gas
system

You might want to be careful there. I've read some talk about issues with 18" barrels with rifle length gas systems in cold weather. Apparently, if the gas port isn't opened up to a specific size, you may have issues.

Talk to Steve at ADCO who recomends a midlength gas system for 18" barrels. He can give you the details as to why.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I sent an E-Mail Steve at ADCO and he said it should be opened up to 105.

I thought that the problem came up with a 16" barrel and rifle length gas system not the 18", but I am still learning.

thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Actually Colt Canada is making 500 LE6920's for Colt USA a month. They export stuff from Canada every week...tons of stuff goes back and forth. Crappy thing is that the US market gets more CC stuff than the Canadian market.

About the profile of the barrels, they are 20 inch Gov't profile.

Mark

Cool!  Do the 6920s have barrels that were cold hammer forged on Diemaco's machinery?  I thought the LE6920 had a 16.1" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a rifle that is sort of like that.

Unfortunately, this rifle rarely comes out of the safe.  I’m thinking a 16” or 18” fluted BBL would fix that.

It's a RRA and the BBL is HBAR.  With the Heavy barrel, and rail system, it's too front heavy. (Without any accessories.)  If the barrel went on a diet and I had standard handguards, I think the weight would be much more manageable.  The Elcan is a very good clear optic.  I like mine quite a bit.  I'm not certain about the ballistic cam, but I have a feeling that mine might be tuned for .308, or it is tuned to a totally different twist rate barrel and grain 5.56 round.  Eye relief on the Elcan is somewhat forgiving, but the optic still needs to be as far back on the rail as possible.  Because of this, I'm pretty sure the BUIS for the rifle are made to go in front of the optic.  The fixed power of the elcan can make close range shooting somewhat slow plus anything out past 200yds is a bit difficult to see.

After doing a 7 course 3-gun match with this rifle, I found myself wishing for this:  

-Lighter weight.
-Shorter length for maneuverability.
-Variable power scope. (Does someone make a 1.5-10x? That would be awesome!)

It seems that a setup like the C7A2 can do virtually everything.  But the catch is it won't excel at any task.  Kind of like a "Jack of all trades", rifle.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#12]
i am currently gathering parts to make a C7A2 clone.  i like the looks of it.  actually th ewhole reason for doing it is that i have an older ELCAN laying around that i am not using.  i just got the BUS that goes in front of the ELCAN.  that was a hard little booger to find.  I like doing clones of military guns of around the world and figured this would be a good change.  it is just hard to find actually Canadian stuff.  anyone have a stainless nella bayonet laying around?
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:58:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought the C7 had A1 rear sights?

Link Posted: 8/18/2006 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Those who wish for cold hammer-forged barrels have no understanding of what makes a good barrel.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I thought the C7 had A1 rear sights?

The original C7s did; but Diemaco, like everyone else it seems, has gone to the flat top. That's why it's listed as C7A1.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Those who wish for cold hammer-forged barrels have no understanding of what makes a good barrel.

Enlighten us then
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#17]
here is what i have been gathering parts on.  i slapped together the Elcan and BUS on my A4 upper and threw the upper on my m4 lower with a cheesy stock.  This is just thrown together for a pic.  I have an ambi selector and a ambi mag release coming.  from the pics i have seen of actual C7A2's the color in Diemaco's pic is way bright.  its more of an OD.  I have OD handguards already just need the stock and grip.  I have a canadian sling and Elcan cover also.  it took 8 months of looking for the BUS.  it is a real cheesy sight,  even the clamp is plastic.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2006 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#18]
While the 20" does have a certain appeal, it doesn't really offer any significant advantages over a carbine.  Check this out.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top