Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2007 9:33:12 PM EDT
For a .223 10.3 CMMG with KX3 FH running standard SA BCG & LMT H buffer? Shooting Federal 55 grain. Best price/dealer for whatever brand as well? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2007 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The lest expensive/best extractor upgrades are Crane O rings and black bumpers.
Cabellas has black bumpers for $1 a piece and ADCO has the Crane O rings for $1 a piece.

ADCO

You can get CS springs from Cabellas too but with the Crane O Ring with black bumpers it isn't necessary.  Don't waste your money on a D Fender Insert. The black bumpers are 1/12th the cost and actually hold up better.
Link Posted: 4/25/2007 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the BCM upgrade kits from Bravo Company in all my AR’s.
Link Posted: 4/25/2007 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/25/2007 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're only going to use it on one gun, for one stop shopping; then you can go with the Bravo Company upgrade.

BC

I like stocking up on parts, so i went the Cabellas/ADCO route. For multiple rifles and looking long term i feel this is better. I'll admit I even bought some CS springs from Cabellas in the event i had to change my extractor/ejector springs. Right now, i'm running mostly standard extractor springs , with the black bumper and Crane O Ring. This has served me nicely.
Link Posted: 4/25/2007 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you're only going to use it on one gun, for one stop shopping; then you can go with the Bravo Company upgrade.

I out fitted 3 rifles at one time and have spares to boot, all ordered from B Co. So I don’t quite get where your going with the above comment.  

If someone wants just the o-rings, Operation Parts has them for I believe it was .70 cents a piece. I picked up a few spares from them as well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 BCM extractor upgrade kit from Bravo Company.

I'm currently trying the BCM kit on my 16" middy carbine and it's running well but the spring feels strong enough that I'm not using the O-ring yet.

On my other 16" carbine gas system I'm using Wolff extra power extractor spring and black buffer only also without the O-ring.
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Go with the BCM KIT, IMHO it is the BEST kit out there. Also paul has the BEST(ADCO, IS VERY,VERY CLOSE SECOND) customer service then ANY ar-15 vender that i have delt with.You cant go wrong.Those CS springs stand up to HEAT, ALOT better then a standerd music wire spring.
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
MGI D-Fender "D-Ring".

Yup...unless you're a cheap-ass. You don't want to be called a "cheap-ass" do you?
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Big fan of the LMT double spring bolt (and the nickle makes cleaning so easy). My other bolts have MGI D-ring.
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
MGI D-Fender "D-Ring".

Yup...unless you're a cheap-ass. You don't want to be called a "cheap-ass" do you?

I’ve never caved to the pressure of the “crowd”.     Crane o-rings work fine for my “cheap-ass”.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
MGI D-Fender "D-Ring".

I’ve never caved to the pressure of the “crowd”.     Crane o-rings work fine for my “cheap-ass”.  

Shat.
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Shat.

Link Posted: 4/26/2007 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
MGI D-Fender "D-Ring".

Me too. It's fine to spend more money for a truly superior product ; however the D fender is not a superior product. Ask Denny how many D Fenders he's used that "mushed".
The same is not true for the Crane O Ring. It's not only 1/12th the cost(or less), it's better. If the Crane O Ring were to flatten ,the replacement will only cost a buck.
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:
Ask Denny how many D Fenders he's used that "mushed".

Do you have a link to this? I've been using a D-Fender with about ~30K rounds in 3 different guns without any noticeable difference since the day it was bought. I'm not trying to be rude, but rather interested to see this.

Also, I'd recommend the D-Fender. A friends 10" LMT was having problems with extraction, dropped in the D-Fender and back to shooting he went.
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I know twl doesn't want to get into this again, but I'll try to find his response to this argument myself. (Crane vs. MGI specifically) I'm not buying that story.
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, this isn't what I was looking for, but here is some of it:

"If you want some of Mack Sr's credentials in the weapon design field, here are some:

Original founder and owner of Bushmaster Firearms, but sold it in the 1980s. In that position, he designed the Bushmaster Arm pistol, which was(I think) the very first 5.56 bullpup ever introduced on the market. Way ahead of its time.
Has been designing weapons for the commercial market since 1973.
Designed the quick-change-barrel system for the 50cal M2-HBQCB heavy machine gun that is now in use with virtually every military in the free world, and licenses the design to Fabrique Nationale(FN Herstal) to manufacture the guns equipped with that.
Worked in partnership with Jim Sullivan, one of the main forces on the AR15 design team, for years.
Designed the "Lone Eagle" single-shot pistol and licensed it to Magnum Research.
Designed the MWG series of scope mounts, that are now being sold by Mounting Solutions Plus, another AR15.com Industry Partner.
Designed the MWG series of assorted magazines, also sold thru Mounting Solutions.
Designed the Muzzle-lite series of bullpup stocks for various weapons.
Designed the current full line of MGI products, including the D-Fender, MGI RRB buffer, MGI QCB quick-change-barrel upper receiver, MGI Modular Lower Receiver system. and the upcoming products from MGI. All of which are benchmarks in their respective fields, for performance and innovation.
Knew Stoner personally before he died, knows Kalashnikov personally, as well as most of the other "old guard" designers that may still be alive.
Designed and built many small runs of specialty weapons and items for Special Forces and Seal units.
That's almost 34 years of weapons and accessory design and manufacturing in this industry.
You may, or may not, like some of those designs, but there it is.

I probably left some stuff out, but you probably get the idea.
Being a soldier first, keeps the important things at the front of his designs, in order to keep the operators' weapons as effective as possible, because he knows what it's like to be in a firefight with a weapon that stops working, and it's not a good feeling when that happens.

His motto is "Reliability, Hit probability, lethality"." -twl

"Mack,

I wanted to do a follow-up on our conversation from the other day. Enclosed is a
photo of the firearm that I told you about. This Firearm is used by the
Sheriff's training Division for Demonstrations, Ammo Evaluations, and Officer
Qualifications. As I told you on the phone about two weeks ago this firearm
reached the 1 million round count(since installing the parts). Normally this would not be a big deal
for us as we have many firearms that have exceeded that number of rounds. The amazing
fact that we have not had to do any repairs to this firearm to reach this
milestone is the reason that I am writing to you.

We installed your buffer system and a D-Fender ring into this firearm about a
year ago. This firearm had already been in service for at least five years with
an unknown number of rounds through it. We have done nothing more than routine
cleaning and lubing to this firearm during this time period(since installing the parts).

As a demo gun this firearm routinely is fired full auto for multiple magazines
with no cool down returned to the locker only to be used again without cleaning
or lubrication. Normally for an AR style rifle to achieve this round count for
us it would have to be rebuilt at least once or twice.

I attribute this lack of rebuilding of this firearm directly to the buffer and
D-Fender ring that we bought from you. As I told you we were so happy with the
results of our evaluation we purchased these items for all our SWAT team members
M4 machineguns. The ability to control the firearms in full auto sold the team
members on the Buffers. The added reliability was just an extra benefit that
they liked after the fact.

Again I just wanted to say thanks for getting me to try your product. Keep up
the good work."

Bruce D. Park, Sheriff's Armorer
San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department
Public Safety Regional Training Center
Armory
18000 Institution Road
San Bernardino, CA 92407

"10 Dec 02

"D" Ring

My colleague Jeff Chudwin, brought the "D" Ring to the attention of all of us earlier this year. I have now, belatedly, joined him in his endorsement of this product.

All military rifles have issues, and the AR-15 is no exception. One real weak point of the AR-15 system has been the extractor spring, which breaks at around 1,500 rounds. AR-15s with twenty-inch barrels that are fired only semi-auto are far less likely to experience this problem than are sixteen-inch rifles that have been exposed to heavy doses of full-auto fire. Even with the spring broken, the rifle may continue to fire normally, most of the time. However, a broken extractor spring will invariably cause the extractor to release the fired case too soon, causing a live round to be stuck under a fired case that is still partially chambered. This type of stoppage is particularly difficult to reduce and usually takes the rifle and the rifleman out of action for the better part of a minute, even if he knows what to do.

Until the bolt and extractor can be redesigned (or the whole rifle replaced), the interim solution has been to place a rubber ring ("D" ring) over the extractor spring. Installation takes about a minute and can be easily done at the user level. The "D" ring boosts the life of the extractor spring to 35,000 rounds and provides positive extraction and ejection even if the spring itself is broken. Seasoned operators worldwide have "D" rings installed in their ARs. I have them installed in all my ARs.

The "D: ring is available from MGI." -John Farnam, the famous and highly-respected training instructor that runs the Defense Training International facility
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ask Denny how many D Fenders he's used that "mushed".

Do you have a link to this? I've been using a D-Fender with about ~30K rounds in 3 different guns without any noticeable difference since the day it was bought. I'm not trying to be rude, but rather interested to see this.

Also, I'd recommend the D-Fender. A friends 10" LMT was having problems with extraction, dropped in the D-Fender and back to shooting he went.

Denny told me this on the phone. I was asking him about which is better; D fenders or Crane O Rings. Denny told me that he seen D Fenders compress or mush after time. I guess the same could be true with a Crane O Ring? Anyway he further said, he uses Crane O Rings because there is no benefit to the extra cost of the D Fender. He could use the D Fender and pass it on to the customer but feels this is unnessary. If Denny tells me something, that's good enough for me. Anyone who's dealt with Denny will know what i'm talking about. If you feel the D Fender is superior then use it. I'm not trying to start a D fender vs Crane Debate. As far as i'm concerned, the Crane O Ring does the exact same thing as the D Fender at 1/12th the cost.(more or less) If I were convinced that the D fenders were superior, i would have no problems spending the extra money. When it comes to quality, i will always spend more for what i feel is a better product. IMO, and it's only my opinion, i feel there is no difference besides the cost of the two.
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I believe I stood right there in Denny's office and purchased my last D-FENDER in person about a year ago. Yup, I liked my first one so much I had to buy another.

IMO, Viton o-rings belong in a flashlight. I just ordered (9) of em from Seal Company today.
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#22]
The heavy extractor spring from SAW would be the best.
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The heavy extractor spring from SAW would be the best.

+1 one; the Colt Copper Spring.  Although the BC seems to be on the same track....

I have been using standard with blue buffers w/ O-ring forever though on one 16" and it works perfect.  The rifle is so flawless I do not even want to change to the Colt spring in fear of jinking it!
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#25]
height=8
Quoted:
Please note that I have added(as an edit to my previous post) the US Government Military Document in its entirety.

Thanks for posting that. Remember reading it elsewhere a bit back, but forgot some of the pertinent info. Just reaffirms that your company puts out a great product.

height=8
Quoted:
Denny told me this on the phone. I was asking him about which is better; D fenders or Crane O Rings. Denny told me that he seen  D Fenders compress or mush after time.

Thanks for the info. I was interested because Denny is always on the ball about these things, but I hadn't heard him speak of this issue. I'll have to give him a call to explain the criteria that the above occured under.
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Please note that I have added(as an edit to my previous post) the US Government Military Document in its entirety.

Thanks for posting that. Remember reading it elsewhere a bit back, but forgot some of the pertinent info. Just reaffirms that your company puts out a great product.

Quoted:
Denny told me this on the phone. I was asking him about which is better; D fenders or Crane O Rings. Denny told me that he seen  D Fenders compress or mush after time.

Thanks for the info. I was interested because Denny is always on the ball about these things, but I hadn't heard him speak of this issue. I'll have to give him a call to explain the criteria that the above occured under.

Denny uses the Crane O Ring in his Super Duty BC's.DSD Link I was in the process of buying my second SDBC from Denny when I asked him about the D fender. That's when he told me that the Crane O Ring was just as good as the D Fender; costing much less. I run Crane O Rings with black bumpers in all my rigs and they run great. I'm sure the D fender is as good as the Crane O Ring. I'm not convinced that it offers any additional benefits for the much higher cost. There are guys who have used the same Crane O Ring for 15,000+ rounds and it still looks like new. What more do you want? You have to ultimately decide for your self what's best for you.

For the OP; lets put it this way. The best extractor upgrade, is a black bumper with either a Crane O Ring or D Fender. They both work on the same principle and either will help a great deal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I appreciate all the feedback and comments.

Here's a bit of insight into the history of this stuff, so you can see what went on in the early days when this stuff was first happening.

When Mack and Jim were developing the Counterpoise System(which was a carbine reliability package) back in the 1990s, there was development work on extractor reliability enhancement for this project.

They initially tried o-rings in their work, particularly because they were easily obtainable and showed promise.

They did alot of testing with o-rings.

The testing showed that the o-rings worked.
However, the testing also showed that the o-rings had unpredictable number of rounds to failure. There were some that failed real early, and some that lasted a real long time, and others that lasted somewhere in the middle.
They shot alot of rounds with alot of o-rings in an attempt to be able to figure out some kind of predictable data about replacement schedules.
Ultimately, they were unable to make any reliable determination about when to make replacements, because the failures were unpredictable.

However, the failures did have a particularly nasty feature of having the failed o-ring migrate to a spot under the extractor, that could cause the gun to tie-up, and that concerned them alot.
They felt that they didn't want to accept potential problems like that, so they proceeded to evaluate the causes for failure.

The failures were predominantly caused by the symmetrical donut shape of the o-ring, when subjected to the asymmetrical compressions seen in the extractor application.

Analysis yielded a new shape which was the evolution of the o-ring, and it was the "D-Fender" D-ring.
The differences are that the D-shape fits the shape under the end of the extractor where it is installed, it is wedge-shaped in profile to perform in the asymmetrical compressions without "squishing" in a mode that subjects it to failure, and it is made of a different polymer which is designed to provide the ideal(determined thru testing) 4x increase in extractor tension.

These are the things that set it apart from the o-ring.

Now, of course, we always see and hear the anecdotes of people having good long-term results from an o-ring.
I don't dispute that, and I've never disputed that.
It's possible, and we've seen it many times in testing, and we know about that.
Our point is that it is unknown what result you will get when you put any given o-ring in there. It might last a helluva long time, and it might not.
We don't think that is what we want to provide.

We wanted something that could be counted on to last a long time, with every one of them. And that's why we evolved the design into a more application specific product.
Let's face it, the o-ring is not designed, nor was ever designed, to be an extractor enhancer. The fact that it works as one is purely coincidental. It will never be as good as a properly engineered product made expressly for the application.

So, we certainly concede that the o-ring works, and can be a very cost-effective extractor enhancement device, as long as you understand that you don't know how long it is going to last.

We were more adamant that our product had to be predictably reliable for the long term, and that's why we made it.

Of course I know it costs more, and I fight that battle all the time.
All I can say is that it is made for the application specifically, is correctly designed, and will last a very long time, and it can be relied upon to do so.

I can't tell you how to spend your money.
I think it's worth it, and alot of other people who shoot for a living do too.
If you don't think it's worth it, then don't buy it. But at least we are making it available to those who do want something that was developed exactly for the application it is being used for, which has not been done by anyone else. And it has been proven to be effective, and does exactly what we say it does.
So, there's some choice beyond the basics, for users who wish to avail themselves of it.

Can't argue with anything you said.  Although i do have some questions? You say it's the asymetrical force being applied to the Crane O ring that causes it to sometimes prematurely fail; correct? So in other words one side of the O ring is getting squished more than the other. I'm wondering if perhaps periodically rotating the position of the Crane O Ring will potentially help extend its life; by distributing the compressions of the extractor to different parts of the O ring? I'm not saying removing the extractor just for that puropse but rather rotating it during those inspection periods. Now the D fender is supposed to last longer than the Crane O Ring. Does that mean you just install it and forget it; or is it a good idea to check it every now and then?
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I add the Wolff Extra power extractor spring and.............................that's it.  10 for $22.99 for those who don't want the "cheapass" stigma attached to them and for those who like real parts in their rifles, not bandaid, rubber substitutes.

Link
Link Posted: 4/26/2007 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top