User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 11:14:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grunteled] [#1]

Originally Posted By bigbore:
I was thinking more like a 6" grapefruit, and with the first shot.  Next time a group of friends are together, pin up  6" balloons at 50yds, and see how many can hit it with the first shot.  

The "baloon drill" is one I run for a group of us who get together monthly.  Get your guys in a single file line, 1st takes the shot and if he missed the next guy up takes the shot and so on until all the balloons are broke.  Dont take your time, step up and shoot.

I bet 8 out of 10 people on this fourm would miss with the first shot.

Balloons are great!  I took a friend out who doesn't shoot unless he visiting us.  We put up everything from 3" to 8" balloons and he was tagging them left and right at 50 yards standing.  He had an ear to ear grin.  We tried it with both my M4gery and my DSA carbine.  He shot best with my DSA SA58C and EOTech.  I was pretty impressed.  He had more trouble at 100 yards but I did too on anything less than about 5" in size with that rig.  My standing groups are awful really.

Balloons don't make much mess and the small ones can be a challenge in a little wind too.  Great reactive targets.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By dajini:
Standing, off hand shooting is a LOT harder than most people realize.  That's a great group for standing.

Yes it is. I don't practice it near enough. I rarely ever shoot off a bench, but I mostly shoot kneeling and prone.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is another fun one, throw out a gatorade bottle, or similiar hard bottle at about 25 yards, stand, shoot it.

They bounce like 10 feet in the air when you hit them then fall, see how soon after it lands you can hit it, it will get progressively further away until you cant hit it anymore.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/7/2007 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By RustedAce:
Here is another fun one, throw out a gatorade bottle, or similiar hard bottle at about 25 yards, stand, shoot it.

They bounce like 10 feet in the air when you hit them then fall, see how soon after it lands you can hit it, it will get progressively further away until you cant hit it anymore.

Reminds me of a scene from a movie . . .

Link Posted: 11/7/2007 12:52:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#6]

Originally Posted By COLT:

Here are a few gratuitous pics of my A4 clone.

www.box.net/shared/static/s06dylbbrq.jpg

www.box.net/shared/static/p9rcbkhetf.jpg

www.box.net/shared/static/gmfxb6uoor.jpg

www.box.net/shared/static/krt8mjsygs.jpg
Your rifle looks like a Squad Advanced Marksman Rifle (SAM-R) not an a4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Marine_Corps_Squad_Advanced_Marksman_Rifle

The reason I refer to it as "my version" of an A4 clone is that it uses a standard government profile, chrome lined, NATO chambered, Colt M16A2 barrel, (not a match-grade HBAR.)  The rationale for the other deviations from the typical A4 go something like this:

If you're going to add the extra weight of the KAC M5 RAS, why not get the benefit of a KAC free-float RAS

Since you're removing the standard FSB to install the free-float rail and you're going to be using magnified optics, why not use a flip-up  front sight/gas block (like the GG&G)

I personally prefer the reticle and longer eye relief of the TA11 ACOG compared to the issued TA31RCO-A4CP ACOG.

Link Posted: 11/7/2007 1:12:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALPHAGHOST] [#7]
w/ optics i can do the grapefruit @ 50 w/ a standing w/ hasty sling, i'll be a little slow, but i'll get it...

w/ irons...definitly not fast or maybe even on the 1st shot, esp while standing

+1 on balloon targets being great

last time i ran any kind of "challenging" course we sprinted 25 yrds, pos 1: engage a balloon w/ rifle @ 50 yrds standing; run another 25 yrd and do the same w/ a pistol (35-40 yrds) prone, another balloon at same distance w/ rifle (dump the rifle); ran to pos 3, picked up shotgun, shot a trap clay; ran another 15yrds to pos4, rifle again, 2 balloon targets @ 35 and 45 yrds; sprint another 15yrds, pistol again, 2 balloon @ ~20yrds...thats tough enough for me

Link Posted: 11/7/2007 1:14:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Quarterbore] [#8]
Are we alowed to use a sling

If so, I might try this out at 100-yards but I don't live near my range and it is tough to get to go shooting these days...
Link Posted: 11/7/2007 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#9]
How 'bout clay birds?  About the right diameter, cheap, and something happens when you shoot them.
Not all ranges permit ground shooting them, and flying is pretty tough with an AR...
Moon
Link Posted: 11/8/2007 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Just as a reminder, "page scaling" must be set to "none" in order for the image of the grapefruit to print with the correct dimensions from Adobe.

Link Posted: 11/10/2007 10:31:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#11]

Originally Posted By Forest:
Great idea Molon - I've printed up my copies.  I'm going to try with both my Recce and an M4/EOTech.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I didn't have a 'grapefruit' with me, but had some shoot'n'see 5.5" stick-on targets.

My RRA AR15 2001 anniversary edition entry tactical (M4 profile barrel, vltor casv, vhg with a 4x cheapo scope got me 3.5" grouping off hand with ultramax 55gr SP's off hand.

My HK USC .45acp was hitting low at that range, but I still got 5 of 10 shots within the 5.5" targets off hand at 50yards using MFS NATO spec .45acp JHP's.

I don't think it is that hard to make with almost any rifle in good condition .

Link Posted: 11/10/2007 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Molon and Bigbore, great ideas!  

Now I know what I'll be printing out and/or buying at the grocery store for my next home range session.

Link Posted: 11/10/2007 10:16:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tweeter] [#14]

Originally Posted By MuRDoC:
I'm sooo disappointed, here I was expecting blown up fruit! Someone blow a watermelon up or something

Roger that, Gallagher... GO!

ETA: I'm consistently hitting C-zones at 250 meters standing... I wanna see how I do versus citrus now.

My targets are printed, I'll be back in a few days.  I promised the wife I'd go drive around with her to "look at the trees change colors"

There'd better be pie afterwards or I'm gonna be pissed.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Nest time I go to the range I'm going to take the Bigbore challenge!  Sounds fun, easy, and cheap...  

Spooky

Originally Posted By bigbore:
I was thinking more like a 6" grapefruit, and with the first shot.  Next time a group of friends are together, pin up  6" balloons at 50yds, and see how many can hit it with the first shot.  

The "baloon drill" is one I run for a group of us who get together monthly.  Get your guys in a single file line, 1st takes the shot and if he missed the next guy up takes the shot and so on until all the balloons are broke.  Dont take your time, step up and shoot.

I bet 8 out of 10 people on this fourm would miss with the first shot.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, it's not 5" at 50yds, but it is reduced correctly to a 11/16" circle at 20ft.
I had to outline the 20ft target with a sharpie because it was getting dark.
I was mainly shooting by porch light.

The actual shot is in the upper left.

Since I haven't shot it in a while, I took a reference shot at 20ft.
I then waited a few minutes and took my one offhand shot at 20ft.

http://www.gearshanty.com/images/img015.jpg

I'll have to try the real thing next time at the range.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#18]
The range I have been shooting at is indoor and limited to 25yds.  I had some 3" circle stickers.  I was hitting them pretty consistantly with my A1 upper after I got it sighted in.  26 out of 30.  

Low ready, shoulder and fire as soon at the front sight settled.  Back to low ready and repeat.  A fun exercise, to be sure.  

With the M4 upper and EOTech it was quicker and easier.  29 out of 30.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By tweeter:
i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/smartb0mb/Grapefruitat50yards.jpg

Nice shooting!
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#21]
.    .     .     .      .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .    
Link Posted: 12/27/2007 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By Molon:
.    .     .     .      .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .    

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Does hitting 3 running ground hogs at 50 to 100 yds. count? I shoot almost half of the ground hogs I shoot off hand because I usually suprise them and have to shoot really fast.

I didn't miss a single ground hog last year. Not one! I killed at least 30 total. Longest off hand shot was close to 150 yds.

Now I am going to have to try this grapefruit thing!
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Tennis balls and golf balls are also fun to throw out to about 25 yards and then walk them out (or in some cases, when hit they go way the hell away from where you are shooting) as far away from you as you can.  Granted, some of the "walking out" comes from hitting the dirt in front of them and not actually hitting them....
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By batmanacw:
Does hitting 3 running ground hogs at 50 to 100 yds. count? I shoot almost half of the ground hogs I shoot off hand because I usually suprise them and have to shoot really fast.

I didn't miss a single ground hog last year. Not one! I killed at least 30 total. Longest off hand shot was close to 150 yds.

Now I am going to have to try this grapefruit thing!

Don't forget to post pics!
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By Blacksnake:
Tennis balls and golf balls are also fun to throw out to about 25 yards and then walk them out (or in some cases, when hit they go way the hell away from where you are shooting) as far away from you as you can.  Granted, some of the "walking out" comes from hitting the dirt in front of them and not actually hitting them....

Golf balls will teach you to aim small.
Hitting the dirt in front of the balls results in a good roll, direct hits will make you feel like Tiger Woods
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Hitting running targets isn't particularly hard, but it is daunting if you've never done it in a controlled environment.
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I pick up orange clay targets from the SG range and set them out to 200 yds and can hit them off hand with iron sights.  I can't hit every time, but can still regularly break them.  It is great practice
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By H2O_MAN:

Hitting the dirt in front of the balls results in a good roll, direct hits will make you feel like Tiger Woods

Aim small, miss small.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#31]
height=8
height=8
Originally Posted By H2O_MAN:
height=8

Hitting the dirt in front of the balls results in a good roll, direct hits will make you feel like Tiger Woods hatMy shooting bro and I were at the range in a thunderstorm aand he got the bright idea to shoot a penny @ 50 yards I set up two quarters. Six shots with irons and I was out 50 cents after three of his we could not find the penny found both mine though  
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm gonna use this as a place holder for my grapfruit target to be shot this Saturday.
Will post pics later on Saturday afternoon...

BTW: this is a great way to get folks off the bench and get them to do some shooting that is more practical than plopping down on a chair at a bench...its got its place for sure, but too many just plant ass and pull the trigger instead of planting their feet and standing on their hind legs.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 1:54:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jagermaster] [#33]
No fruit but how about a dcm competition.
200yds standing no sling irons only
pmc ammo
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By LuvBUSHmaster:
I'm gonna use this as a place holder for my grapfruit target to be shot this Saturday.
Will post pics later on Saturday afternoon...

BTW: this is a great way to get folks off the bench and get them to do some shooting that is more practical than plopping down on a chair at a bench...its got its place for sure, but too many just plant ass and pull the trigger instead of planting their feet and standing on their hind legs.

Where's those pics?
Link Posted: 9/13/2008 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By GHPorter:

Originally Posted By TripletDad:

Originally Posted By chris157c:
I would miss on the first three shots, but that's why the AR15 somes with 30 round magazines!!!
It's still a problem if the other guy doesn't need 3 shots.
This sorta reminds me of a scene from Pulp Fiction...

However, this is one particularly good idea-focus on a kill-zone-sized target at a tactical distance, look at first shot results and adjust accordingly.  Balloons, grapefruit, whatever.  Cool indeed.  I'll have to put together a good 5" circle target for practice (one that uses a lot less toner than a picture of a grapefruit).

Here's a grayscale version of the grapefruit that should use a lot less toner.

click here to download

Link Posted: 9/13/2008 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the links
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#37]
My next range trip, I need to work on shooting less prone, more offhand.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I am surprised at the lack of photo evidence in this thread of the numerous arfcom members who can easily shoot 0.5 MOA with Wolf in their Delton/Blackthorn/etc. builds and irons...

.... just sayin...
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#39]
“That's a nice group from the bench. Now let’s see you hit a grapefruit at 50 yards offhand.”

bigbore’s sig-line

Multiple open-source references report that typical grapefruits range in diameter from 10 to 15 cm, with the median being 12.5 cm (or approximately 5 inches.)  Since the shooting ranges in my area do not allow  the use of fresh fruit for targets, I needed to use a printed representation of the fruit in order to give the “Grapefruit Shoot” a try.

As quickly as you can say “Google” I had a suitable graphic down-loaded.  The diameter of the grapefruit pictured below is exactly 5 inches when printed from a .pdf file of the graphic.  

http://www.box.net/shared/static/ub7hya6t02.jpg

Using my version of an A4 clone, topped with a Trijicon ACOG TA11, I fired 10-shot groups at the "grapefruits" from the off-hand position at 50 yards.  I was able to keep all 10 rounds of the groups “in the pulp.”  You can down-load the .pdf file of the grapefruit and give the "Grapefruit Shoot" a try for yourself.  (click here for download)

http://www.box.net/shared/static/aejhl2nl9e.jpg

Here are a few gratuitous pics of my A4 clone.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/s06dylbbrq.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/p9rcbkhetf.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/gmfxb6uoor.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/krt8mjsygs.jpg

3.5X scope,          do it with iron sights or 1X red dot.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By rjb_213:
I am surprised at the lack of photo evidence in this thread of the numerous arfcom members who can easily shoot 0.5 MOA with Wolf in their Delton/Blackthorn/etc. builds and irons...

.... just sayin...

Most of them would love to take photos, but due to the tactical nature of their operator careers, they are prohibited from leaving photographic evidence.

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By David14:
Originally Posted By rjb_213:

.... just sayin...

Most of them would love to take photos, but due to the tactical nature of their operator careers, they are prohibited from leaving photographic evidence.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#42]
BUAHAHAHAHA! too funny
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#43]
100yds ,offhand, no sling.
Colt A2 20" h-bar w/ FEDERAL/LC XM855

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By evileyeswatchin:
100yds ,offhand, no sling.
Colt A2 20" h-bar w/ FEDERAL/LC XM855

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m169/evileyeswatchin/LaRuetarget.jpg

what software did you use to capture the group data?

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#45]
just wondering if anyone has tried the shooting cubes that are made of some sort of ballistic material I forgot where I saw them, just curious how they hold up to the 223 round seems like they could be fun?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:42:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DM1975] [#46]
I did this last June but never got around to posting. Rapid fire.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:50:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#47]
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Definite Tag
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Well I did get a cat @ 30 yards this morning on the run with my Crossman .177 BB gun.
It knocked his rear legs right out from under him.
Phessor
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top