User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By M4Madness:
I read once in a Gun Digest (or was it a Shooter's Bible?) that if you could hit a standard paper plate offhand at 100 yards 9 out of 10 times in less than a minute, that you should be in the Olympics.

If they are talking about bows I believe it. 8in groups with ANY gun at 100 yards is not impressive. I do better that that with an OLD browning .22 pistol.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#2]
So much grapefruit and no Bacardi or Don Q....what a waste
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MoonDancer:
With 54 year old eyes, iron sights are problematic at best.

That would be a 'me too'.  I think my next AR accessory should be Lasik.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I read once in a Gun Digest (or was it a Shooter's Bible?) that if you could hit a standard paper plate offhand at 100 yards 9 out of 10 times in less than a minute, that you should be in the Olympics.

Hmm.  1 shot every 6 seconds for 60 seconds at an 8 minute-of-angle (assuming an 8"-wide plate) target, with 90% success.  If I can remember to take some plates to the range my next day off, I'll see if my dreams of Olympic gold have a snowball's chance or not.

Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Shut up!  Are you serious?
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:34:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By rjb_213:
I am surprised at the lack of photo evidence in this thread of the numerous arfcom members who can easily shoot 0.5 MOA with Wolf in their Delton/Blackthorn/etc. builds and irons...

.... just sayin...

I am often amazed at all the sub-MOA weapons, 5000 rnd a day shoots, etc I read on this site.  

I also love all the mil-clone weapons that are 2-3 times more accurate than the mil-spec weapons can yield.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:41:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Apples are fun. Not sure about 223 but they do spatter all over with .308. I like setting the apple on top of the post and pulling the trigger. I can hit them all day but for some reason shooting targets is another issue.

For years the final shot when shooting in our deer rifles we have either used an apple or a small sand stone. Sand stone is fun as well. There is a big poof of dust

Link Posted: 1/28/2009 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bigbore:
I was thinking more like a 6" grapefruit, and with the first shot.  Next time a group of friends are together, pin up  6" balloons at 50yds, and see how many can hit it with the first shot.  

The "baloon drill" is one I run for a group of us who get together monthly.  Get your guys in a single file line, 1st takes the shot and if he missed the next guy up takes the shot and so on until all the balloons are broke.  Dont take your time, step up and shoot.

I bet 8 out of 10 people on this fourm would miss with the first shot.

I had a shooting buddy that did something similar to this. Only he was shooting approx. 12" balloons with an open sighted Ruger Super Blackhawk using 180 gr. XTP's at 1700+ fps. The range was 300 yards +/- a couple yards. Broke 2 ballons - one on the first shot and one on the fourth shot. I know, I know, I wouldn't have believed it either if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes along with the shooter and one other shooting buddy. After the first shot we were all like and after the fourth shot we were like .

He could routinely knock down empty shotgun hulls at 50 yds. with an open sighted Ruger single six in 22lr.

Link Posted: 1/28/2009 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#10]
1 inch squares at 100 yards? :D ok, so not yet, but soon, soon i tell you!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SuperiorBarrels:
One shot, one grapefruit

I dunno man.. the camera cut away for a while and don't see the shot, you could have set yourself up on a nice benchrest there..

but thanks for the video, enjoyed it
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 10:15:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nemsis] [#14]
Link Posted: 1/31/2009 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SuperiorBarrels:
One shot, one grapefruit

Nice!

Link Posted: 2/1/2009 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Heres my Bushmaster Carbines M4 A1 minute of grapefruit group at 50 yards standing and using the sling for stability. Grapefruit fear me!!!!

Link Posted: 2/1/2009 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
Originally Posted By yekimak:
Nice shooting and a neat target idea!

I watched my ex's dad put 3 rounds into less than an inch at 100 offhand with irons once..with an old swiss mauser that was sporterized.  I don't know if it was pure luck, skill, or both, but I really tried hard to stay on his good side.  Now that I gots me a daughter I guess I'd better practice too..

Well, if you're not that good when you take your daughters courting boys shooting.  Just rapid fire your AR jump around like a madman and just appear unstable in general. And say things like, "Man, I'd really like to find out what a guy would look like after I shot him with this."

That is the funniest thing I have heard/read all week!
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#18]
This thread reminded me of a time I went out shooting with my brothers.  We got to the pit and found there were some guys who had set up various fruits at 25 yards, ranging from apples to watermellons, and they were blazing away with their high-cap 9mm's.  I honestly watched them for a few minutes before I realized they were shooting at the fruit.  I kept wondering what they were aiming at, because surely if they were aiming at a watermellon only 25 yards away it would be destroyed on the first shot, right?
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I can hit a clay pigeon at 75 yards off-hand. I don't think a grape fruit at 50 would be a problem.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 10:35:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kevinb120] [#20]
So putting all 20 rounds of xm193 into a 5" circle at 50 yards standing with iron sights is decent? I also put 28/30 into a 3" shoot-n-c just sitting in a chair using the mag as a monopod on the wheeled table with irons today.  The 2 flyers were 1" outside and I knew they both were the instant I shot them.  I start loosing the ability to focus on the sights after half a magazine indoors though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Guys I have to admit that I have not been able to pass this test. I can do it with my Eotech, but cannot even hit the black area with just the iron sights. Is there a trick to working with the A2 sights or does it just take a ton of practice? Where can I read about proper aiming techniques with AR irons?

thanks,
jason

Link Posted: 2/20/2009 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#22]
im not going out for probably another month or two, but i do ill try this at 50, 100, 150, and 200 yards. ill try it with my 18lb bolt gun too. i know i can do it with it from a kneeling position at 200 yards but im not so sure about offhand. does seem like a good challenge. 50 yards offhand just seems too easy though especially if you have a magnified optic.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#23]
“That's a nice group at 50 yards offhand on a grapefruit, now do the same thing while the grapefruit is shooting back at you.”  

Seriously though, nice group, bench for zeroing, and offhand shooting FTW!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By R0N:

I also love all the mil-clone weapons that are 2-3 times more accurate than the mil-spec weapons can yield.

Link Posted: 4/13/2009 9:08:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Muttt] [#25]
It's raining, windy and cold here for the next day or two.  So, my grapefruit will be up here shortly.  But, so far, I see a whole lotta "TALKIE" and not a whole lotta "SHOOTIE".  I only see one other grapefruit on here.  That's kinda pathetic for 5 pages worth of talking.......... LOL ........ don't ya think??????????

Ya'll need to put up some grapefruitage ..............

I will edit this post with my grapefruit by the end of the week as the weather permits.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By cwebbcam:

If they are talking about bows I believe it. 8in groups with ANY gun at 100 yards is not impressive. I do better that that with an OLD browning .22 pistol.

I think the 9 out of 10 times in less than a minute changes things up a bit though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:40:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#27]
Looks like we have some good grapefruit weather this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:22:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Muttt:
It's raining, windy and cold here for the next day or two.  So, my grapefruit will be up here shortly.  But, so far, I see a whole lotta "TALKIE" and not a whole lotta "SHOOTIE".  I only see one other grapefruit on here.  That's kinda pathetic for 5 pages worth of talking.......... LOL ........ don't ya think??????????

Ya'll need to put up some grapefruitage ..............

I will edit this post with my grapefruit by the end of the week as the weather permits.

Waiting.....

just funnin.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jason934:
Guys I have to admit that I have not been able to pass this test. I can do it with my Eotech, but cannot even hit the black area with just the iron sights. Is there a trick to working with the A2 sights or does it just take a ton of practice? Where can I read about proper aiming techniques with AR irons?

thanks,
jason

Focus on the front sight.  Grapefruit should be a blur.  Make sure your sights are adjusted for bore/sight offset.  Find your natural point of aim.  Take  a few breaths, then raise the rifle to your shoulder.   Breath again and ensure that your front sight is moving straight up and down on the grapefruit.  Breath again, pause when sharply focused front sight is where it needs to be, and squeeze gently on the trigger while keeping that front sight held hard into the proper sight alignment (6 o'clock or dead center hold on the grapefruit), until the hammer falls.  Maintain followthrough, attempting to keep that front sight on the target.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 9:35:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WhisperPickle] [#30]
I actually use something smaller than a grapefroot. Its very similar to this. The targets are about 2" wide and while I cant hit them every time I get about 60%-70% hits. And its only about 35yards, not 50. Grapefruits are no problem at all.

ETA: Oh yea, I only have irons.
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 8:43:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#31]
Originally Posted By Pacs:

3.5X scope,          do it with iron sights or 1X red dot.

Here you go.

For this run of the Grapefruit Shoot I used my 14.5” Noveske N4 barreled carbine topped with an Aimpoint Micro T-1 red dot sight.  Instead of using one grapefruit target for this run, I posted ten grapefruits on the backer at the 50 yard line.  From an off-hand combat stance, I fired one shot at each of the ten grapefruits.  Each individual shot was fired starting from the low-ready position.  I was able to keep all ten shots “in the pulp.”

Your turn.

Link Posted: 5/17/2009 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I can pop clay pigeons at 100 yards 2/3 to 3/4 of the time with an AR15 or a .375 H&H offhand, but I practice offhand a lot.  Today while practicing, I shot a robin at 55 yards offhand with my carbine on a bet.  I shoot offhand a lot and practice at 10 and 15 yards shooting empty shotgun shells with my Glock .45 subcompact.  Offhand shooting is all about breathing and trigger control.  Most people screw it up by taking too much time, and eventually the rifle starts to move around.  I will mount it to my shoulder, clear my breath, then make the last little bit of move to weld to the stock.  As soon as the sights are on-  shoot.  If you take too long, take your eye off the scope, clear your breath again and start over.  I have taught a lot of people to shoot this way and most were surprised that faster was better, including my son when he was 13.  You can't squeeze the trigger like you're shooting off a bench, it needs a quick, smooth pull with follow through. At least I call it follow through, where you feel the trigger break, hold it back and watch the target disintegrate.  On the days when my shooting is off, I find myself not finishing in this manner.
Link Posted: 7/9/2009 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#33]
The weatherman is predicting more good grapefruit weather for this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/9/2009 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Molon:
The weatherman is predicting more good grapefruit weather for this weekend.

Does that mean sour weather?

This time, Molon, how about seeing how quick you can make that second shot?  Making two hits, in, say one second?  And will you use your Noveske 14.5 as in the pic?

Link Posted: 7/9/2009 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Geohans:

This time, Molon, how about seeing how quick you can make that second shot?  Making two hits, in, say one second?  And will you use your Noveske 14.5 as in the pic?

You first!

Link Posted: 10/8/2009 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#36]
.    .     .     .      .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .    
Link Posted: 11/13/2009 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#37]
For my latest run at the Grapefruit Challenge I used a Trijicon TR24R with the red triangle reticle.  At 1X magnification the triangle reticle completely covered the grapefruit at 50 yards, so just the tip of the triangle was used for aiming.  All 10 shots were “in the pulp.”

Link Posted: 12/22/2009 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#38]
5 shots, 3 hits.  Standing, no sling. 50 yds.
And I get bonus points for using a real grapefruit –– hits are just above the 3 fingers on the grapefruit.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 4:38:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#39]
Originally Posted By David14:
And I get bonus points for using a real grapefruit –– hits are just above the 3 fingers on the grapefruit.
http://i48.tinypic.com/10y1895.jpg

That's some grapefruit.  Three hits from a 5.56mm and it's still intact!

Link Posted: 1/7/2010 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#40]
ahah! owned! I guess he made the holes with a pen

j/k
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I thought the challenge was with irons only? No red-dots?
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#42]

From the first post of the thread:

"using any AR-15 with any sights you want."
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 1:23:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By David14:
http://i48.tinypic.com/10y1895.jpg

That's some grapefruit.  Three hits from a 5.56mm and it's still intact!

No kidding.  I kept expecting it to burst or something dramatic.

'Course, the look on the wife's face was priceless when I fished it out of the trash.  "Why are you taking that old grapefruit out of the trash? [pause]  You're going to shoot it, aren't you?  [sigh]"
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#44]

doh! you're right.. would make the contest a lot more interesting if it was just irons though.. who can meet THAT challenge??
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By EvilBert:
Originally Posted By bigbore:

I bet 8 out of 10 people on this fourm would miss with the first shot.

Sometimes I think 8 out of 10 people on this forum don't even have an AR-15.

lol
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By chris157c:
I would miss on the first three shots, but that's why the AR15 somes with 30 round magazines!!!

Besides, I would never be able to just go up and shoot without coming here first and asking which AR15 to use first...

I made the same joke about my duty pistol a Smith 5946.......if I missed all 16, it was heavy enough to bludgeon someone with.

Link Posted: 1/8/2010 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#47]
I know I need to work on my practical shooting.  I am good from a bench like people have mentioned but moving targets while I am moving is a different animal.  I tried to help a stray dog out over the weekend and missed.  It was at about 75 yrds and my AR has a 3-9 scope on it.  I think an aimpoint or eotech would have helped out tremendously on trying to keep up with the running dog. And for the animal people in here please understand that this dog is not someones pet.  It is a stray that animal control has tried on numerous occasions to catch.  We live on a farm and this dog harasses the cows along with my own dog.  I had a call from a neighbor that on of our cows just had a baby but there were a pack of dogs surrounding it and nipping at it.  well by the time i got there the calf was dead (after inspection i am pretty sure it was a still birth) but at the time I thought this dog had killed it.  He is the ring leader of a pack that runs stray around here.  Needless to say I missed on this occasion but I know he will be back.
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#48]
That is a beautiful KISS weapon!!!! Very Well Done
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 1:07:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ultramagbrion] [#49]

Exactly.

Why , if you had to use your rifle in a situation, would you bother to grab one that you weren't familiar with?

If your truck/duty/service/home defence/hunting/whatever rifle has a scope or whatever on it.............isnt that what you should be proficient with?

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 4:08:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ultramagbrion] [#50]
ETA..............I went out after reading  this thread .
It's 14 degrees here with a pretty good 10-15 mph wind (burr).

I found a little spot a few miles from home that had some pretty good tree cover to block some of the wind and walked off 60 paces in the snow (about 12" deep now)

I brought my 20" DPMS/Colt/FN truck gun (which has been surprisingly accurate for a cheap beater ) and my 16" RRA heavy carbine.

Here's a pic of yours truly warming up .

[span style='font-weight: bold;']And the results . Those are 6" circles (yeah I know it was supposed to be 5" , but thats what I found to trace the circle with)with an 1-1/4 " dot in the center. Five shots at each.
The target on the left was with the 20, wearing a 3-10 Bushnell , shot with 77gr SMKs .
The middle was shot with the 16 , wearing a Millet 1-4  , shot with 75gr A-Maxs
The one one the right I shot with Hornady 75gr TAP........and I dunno where the fifth shot went

Page / 8
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top