Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/17/2008 8:39:52 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting one for my LW upper.  I'd like to hear if you guys like them or where you got them, how much, etc. etc.

Also, can you post pics of both sides so I can have a look pretty please.  I would totally appreciate it!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#2]
www.cncguns.com

edit to add pics:

this is the one offered by CNC Guns

and this is the one offered by Defensive Edge

Link Posted: 3/17/2008 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Justin (cncguns.com) raised the opening so you could actually get your hand in it and use it has a carry handle. He lowered the pocket for the rear sight to compensate so the site picture is still standard height.

There are photos on is website.
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the CNC gunsmithing carry handle. I love it. The only drawback is you have to buy the sight parts separately and install them your self or have  a local smith do it for you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for posting this topic. I just ordered 2 of the CNC Gunsmithing removable A1 handles. Last year I searched for a Diemaco A1 handle without luck. This handle appears to be a good alternative.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The sully one looks a little better because there would be no knobs to get hung up on anything.  But take longer to remove.  I don't know.  I'm still not sold that the A2's are all that silly.  I like the big AP.  I guess I could always swap an ap on there.  Or I wonder what kind of ap is on sully's?
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Most of us that run an A1 carry handle change out the aperature for an A2 aperature. Easy swap.
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the CNC on my lightweight.

I recomend using the XS Tritium same plane sights.

www.xssights.com/store/tactical.html
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Why not just get a LaRue buis? It's lighter.
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Well, my main reason is because I might want to mount an optic on the carry handle for those sometimes, situations.  I don't know though.  I have a nice larue SPR eer mount but I use it on my recce.  So, I'd either have to get another one of those, or, or something.  But I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.  I have an a2 CCH which I don't mind.  Except I can't mount my #2 Arms mount on it with some glass.  I'm trying to think my whole layout with this carbine though, because I want to keep it LW all the time.  It just balances so nice.   If it shoots really good, I'm even debating on selling my recce and getting a compact ACOG.  But that recce upper is so accurate.  I may regret that.  Oh well, either way there are lots of good options, I just have to see which way I'm going to go if I'm gonna put glass on it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Carry handles weigh more than a half a pound.
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Most of us that run an A1 carry handle change out the aperature for an A2 aperature. Easy swap.

Hey TC,
Some of us also use the XS same plane aperture with ours.  
I've got 3 of Justin's/CNC A1 handles.  Love 'em.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 1:01:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Big fan of the CNC part here as well.  I've got two.  They are what is sometimes referred to as "the heat."
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 5:19:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Posted by Desert_AiP;
Hey TC,
Some of also use the XS same plane aperture with ours.
I've got 3 of Justin's/CNC A1 handles. Love 'em.

I'm using an A1 aperature that was used for a low light shooting. One aperature is huge and the other normal sixe. Similar to the A2 sight but it is an original A1 aperature.

I used one when I came in the Army in 1982 and was issued an M16A1.

Link Posted: 3/18/2008 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Posted by Desert_AiP;
Hey TC,
Some of also use the XS same plane aperture with ours.
I've got 3 of Justin's/CNC A1 handles. Love 'em.

I'm using an A1 aperature that was used for a low light shooting. One aperature is huge and the other normal sixe. Similar to the A2 sight but it is an original A1 aperature.

I used one when I came in the Army in 1982 and was issued an M16A1.

That doesn't sound like an A1 aperture.  The A1 are the same sized but one is higher than the other.  

Combat Jack.  Dang, when you put it that way.  I'll probably just use my larue mount I may put a smaller more compact glass then the 3 x 9 in it now though.  So if I go hunting or something it'll still be relatively light.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm thinking about getting one for my LW upper.  I'd like to hear if you guys like them or where you got them, how much, etc. etc.

Also, can you post pics of both sides so I can have a look pretty please.  I would totally appreciate it!!!!!!

I dont have one myself

But would like it over the A2 carry handle

GO FOR IT
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Posted by JJREA:
That doesn't sound like an A1 aperture. The A1 are the same sized but one is higher than the other.

In the early '80s the M16A1's came with a glow in the dark tritrium front sight post you activated with a flashlight. The rear aperature was larger for use in low light and with the tritrium front sight post. This was 1982-1985 so it was definitely an A1 piece.

I've used 3 diferent types of rear sights on M16A1s. The first was as you mentioned with same size aperatures but different heights. The second had a little larger aperature for targets under 250 meters and the last was the low light set up as I mentioned. I used all 3 type from basic in 1982 to when I was issued the A2 in 1985.

A2s were not issued across the Army until 1985. I was in Korea in 1985 when we transitioned from the A1 to the A2.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Posted by JJREA:
That doesn't sound like an A1 aperture. The A1 are the same sized but one is higher than the other.

In the early '80s the M16A1's came with a glow in the dark tritrium front sight post you activated with a flashlight. The rear aperature was larger for use in low light and with the tritrium front sight post. This was 1982-1985 so it was definitely an A1 piece.

A2s were not issued across the Army until 1985. I was in Korea in 1985 when we transitioned from the A1 to the A2.

it wouldn't be tritium, because thats radioactive and makes the phosphorous glow. I believe back then they used promethium as the radioactive source anyway
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#19]
It was always called tritrium at the time and was briefed as such during BRM class in basic. Could have been something else. We were warned the glow in the dark piece was radioactive and told not to mess with it.

Whatever it was, by the time we got issued the M16s, the glow in the dark stuff was at the end of it's usable shelf life. I only had one gun where I could actually see the front sight in the dark. Shining a flashlight on it didn't seem to work but what did we know back then.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I've always wanted a Diemaco A1 carry handle for no reason other than the looks.  Too bad they can't be had.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

this one?

Link Posted: 3/18/2008 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#22]
That is the one. I knew I wasn't smoking crack.

Does that manual happen to say what the materiel in the front sight is called?
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#23]
let me check...

ETA:

Promethium 147!

Link Posted: 3/18/2008 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Well, I stand corrected and learned something new.  Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, my main reason is because I might want to mount an optic on the carry handle for those sometimes, situations.  I don't know though.  I have a nice larue SPR eer mount but I use it on my recce.  So, I'd either have to get another one of those, or, or something.  But I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.  I have an a2 CCH which I don't mind.  Except I can't mount my #2 Arms mount on it with some glass.  I'm trying to think my whole layout with this carbine though, because I want to keep it LW all the time.  It just balances so nice.    If it shoots really good, I'm even debating on selling my recce and getting a compact ACOG.  But that recce upper is so accurate.  I may regret that.  Oh well, either way there are lots of good options, I just have to see which way I'm going to go if I'm gonna put glass on it.

so you want to mount an optic on the carry handle? but want to keep it LW all the time?

why not use something like the Larue or LMT rear sights, and then keep an optic on standby in QD mount.

your upper has a rail on it, why fiddle around with mounting things on a carry handle?
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#26]

let me check...

ETA:

Promethium 147!

Thanks. That is the rear sight aperature I have as well.

Link Posted: 3/18/2008 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I've always wanted a Diemaco A1 carry handle for no reason other than the looks.  Too bad they can't be had.

+1! I have always wanted one of those as well.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, my main reason is because I might want to mount an optic on the carry handle for those sometimes, situations.  I don't know though.  I have a nice larue SPR eer mount but I use it on my recce.  So, I'd either have to get another one of those, or, or something.  But I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.  I have an a2 CCH which I don't mind.  Except I can't mount my #2 Arms mount on it with some glass.  I'm trying to think my whole layout with this carbine though, because I want to keep it LW all the time.  It just balances so nice.    If it shoots really good, I'm even debating on selling my recce and getting a compact ACOG.  But that recce upper is so accurate.  I may regret that.  Oh well, either way there are lots of good options, I just have to see which way I'm going to go if I'm gonna put glass on it.

so you want to mount an optic on the carry handle? but want to keep it LW all the time?

why not use something like the Larue or LMT rear sights, and then keep an optic on standby in QD mount.

your upper has a rail on it, why fiddle around with mounting things on a carry handle?

Yeah, you're probably right.  I shoot irons most of the time but for testing ammo and maybe some other things I like to have the option of using glass.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top