Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2008 8:10:09 PM EDT
I've got a M4 style carbine and I'm thinking of replacing the collapsible buttstock with a solid A2 style.  If I do this, do I need to get a "complete" A2 buttstock, or can I use the internals (spring, etc) from the collapsible one, and get just the A2 stock itself?  Del-Ton, DPMS, etc, sell both things and I need to know which one to get.

-- Sam
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll want the complete setup.  The buffertube, and buffer itself are different than the ones in the collapsible.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]
You will need a rifle length receiver extension (buffer tube), the 5/8" tube extension, an A2 length stock screw and the A2 stock body along with a rifle length spring and buffer.

Link Posted: 8/24/2008 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You will need a rifle length receiver extension (buffer tube), the 5/8" tube extension, an A2 length stock screw and the A2 stock body along with a rifle length spring and buffer.

also the lower screw and sling loop
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 7:47:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you tried such a setup yet?  What's motivating you to swap out for an A2?  Just curious........
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I had an A2 on my 16" for years (came with it during the Klinton years).  I recently switched that gun out to an A1 stock with an A2 buttplate.  I like it much better.  You might want to try that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
I had an A2 on my 16" for years (came with it during the Klinton years).  I recently switched that gun out to an A1 stock with an A2 buttplate.  I like it much better.  You might want to try that.

Well, that raises the question:  What's the difference between an A1 and an A2?  I was assuming A2 was the standard designation for the solid stock as opposed to collapsible.

height=8
Quoted:
Have you tried such a setup yet? What's motivating you to swap out for an A2? Just curious........

Based on my above assumption, what I'm interested in is a solid, rifle length stock.  I do mostly target shooting from a rest, and the solid stock would allow the gun to sit in a rear rest.

Then again, since posting this I'm leaning more toward a bipod setup, and am not sure I need the rear stock with that, but would like to know my options, anyway.

Thanks for the replies so far.  

[Edit:] OK, so the difference between an A1 and an A2 is 5/8"? The A2 is considered a "rifle" buttstock as opposed to a "carbine" one?

-- Sam
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#7]
A2 stock on the bottom, A1 in the middle:

I believe the difference in length is 5/8". Personally I prefer the A1.

ETA - There are other difference - original A1s didn't have trapdoors and when they did get them the buttplates were smooth while the A2's is checkered. The original A1 stock sling swivel was attached with a roll pin and there was no bottom screw as the buttplate was permanently affixed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well, that raises the question:  What's the difference between an A1 and an A2?  I was assuming A2 was the standard designation for the solid stock as opposed to collapsible.

[Edit:] OK, so the difference between an A1 and an A2 is 5/8"?  The A2 is considered a "rifle" buttstock as opposed to a "carbine" one?

-- Sam

Here is a link to FALARAK's thread in the Build it yourself forum. About 2/3s down is a photo essay I did illustrating the differences between the A1 and A2 buttstocks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've got a M4 style carbine and I'm thinking of replacing the collapsible buttstock with a solid A2 style.  If I do this, do I need to get a "complete" A2 buttstock, or can I use the internals (spring, etc) from the collapsible one, and get just the A2 stock itself?  Del-Ton, DPMS, etc, sell both things and I need to know which one to get.

-- Sam

Got a RRA I would like to trade if you are interested.  Your complete setup for mine?
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
Got a RRA I would like to trade if you are interested.  Your complete setup for mine?

Thanks for the offer.  Let me think about it a bit;  I may do it, but as I said, I want to see what I can do with a bipod, too.

-- Sam
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top