Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2009 1:50:48 AM EDT
Please excuse my question, which may look ridiculous in some of your expert's eyes. I am Mike from Germany, so please apologize my far from perfect English too. As you may already know, we are limited to semi auto AR-15s here in Germany, and mostly we have to live with Sabre Defence (UK made) XR-15 and Oberland Arms (German made) OA-15s. There are some US manufactured AR-15 rifles here too, but they are very rare and expensive.

I am curious about the selector switch on the military M16A2 (Safe - Semi - Burst) and M4A1 (Safe - Semi - Auto) models. Does the selector switch snap in at the "Semi" (middle) position with a "click"? Or does it move freely betwenn "Safe" and "Auto/Burst".

Maybe someone who had the chance to handle a selective AR-15 can help me with this.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 2:11:23 AM EDT
[#1]
It "snaps" (with a click) into place.

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 2:43:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Mike, I have a question for you.  

Is it legal to import weapons into Germany as an individual?  Like if you wanted to purchase an AR from America or does everything you purchase have to be purchased through a dealer?

Are weapons registered in Germany?  

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 2:54:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Importing a firearm is very complicated and I think you need a dealer to do that, although some shooters have a gun license that may allow the import of guns/parts. You also need a special certificate for the imported weapon from authorities. With fees and taxes, importing gets very expensive, so most shhoters/hunters buy locally. Yes, all fire arms have to be registered by authorities, which is a strict process.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 4:02:41 AM EDT
[#4]
anyway, the US does NOT allow export aof ny kind of "assault weapon"...

SDI is offering AR's in europe since it has a factory in GB.

btw, I confirm. there is a "click" in between, just like the semi version.. you just get to push the selector one slot more :)

here is mine :

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 4:33:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you so much! This is a real beauty. Would love to own a real Colt one, and almost die for a selective fire version ...
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 4:38:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the forum!
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 4:40:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Mike,
Good to hear from our fellow "gunners" in far off places. The "click" sound switching from safe-semi-auto/burst on military or the very very few civilian owned "registered class 3" rifles is the same level of resistance and audible "click" which occurs on the much more common safe-semi rifles owned here in the US. The mechanical difference is a lengthened guide channel for the safety detent, so the selector can rotate further. The machining on the body of the selector is cut a bit different to permit the auto sear to toggle onto the hammer spur and the disconnector to be held out of the path of the hammer. As you might have guessed, the commonly owned civilian rifle receivers are not machined to accept the auto sear assembly, and should not have a military trigger, hammer, disconnector, or bolt carrier assembly. Hope that answers your question. Happy shooting.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep. It's a click. The spring in the grip and the detent above it make it click.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top